HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "W"
WAGNER, JOHN, was born June 3, 1823, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania ; son of George Wagner and Catharine Ritz ; post office Rushville, Ohio. The family is of German descent on both sides. Father Wagner came to Ohio in 1831, bought the farm on which he died, in 1850, and in the days prior to railroads, kept a regular drove stand and hotel. The sons, who came with him from Pennsylvania, were Simon Peter and George Washington, and the daughter was Mary Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Westall, who died in Lawrence county, Illinois. Those born afterwards were Susan Catharine, wife of Joel Petty; Henry M., who married Miss Leach ; Jacob R., who married Mary Haines ; Anna Jane, wife of Moses Petty; Matilda, deceased, former wife of Daniel Berket, all of whom reside in Lawrence county, Illinois. April 18, 1844, John Wagner was married to Ann Stoltz, who is the mother of eight sons and three daughters now living. These are: George W. married to Jane, daughter of Lewis Combs, post office Rushville; Simon Peter, married to Elizabeth, daughter of John Neely ; Henry M., married to Jessie, daughter of Lucretia Baker, a widow near Linnville, Licking county, Ohio ; Samuel S., married to Belle, daughter of William Rutherford, post office Rushville, Ohio; Mary K., wife of Wesley, son of Samuel Thomas; Margaret Ann, wife of Asa, son of David Dennison, post office Rushville, Ohio, and Matilda Jane, wife of Lewis A. Gillespie, post office Hancock, Perry county, Ohio. The children yet single and at home are: John P., Thaddeus, David Grant and Sherman. The religious connection is of the Brethren Church. The
home of John Wagner, two miles east of Rushville, ranks among the foremost in the county both in size and value, and is the fruit of that persevering adherance to one occupation, characteristic of the Wagner name. WALKER, ROWLAND, son of John Walker; born 1798, in Great Dolby, Leicestershire, England, and grandson of Rowland Skivington Walker. In the childhood of John Walker, his father paid for teaching him to read and write, twelve cents per week, at the same school where the poor were admitted free. The town built the school house. Newspapers cost six-pence, or twelve cents. John served four years as apprentice to a butcher, getting his board, while his father clothed him and paid ten pound ($50) for his tuition. Saturday was the day fixed for beef sales and no other day, in Nottingham, was a sale of beef permitted by retail. As late as 1840 he sold beef, best cuts at fourteen cents per pound, and steak, free from bone, sixteen cents per pound. His maternal grandfather, Mawley, gave him twenty guineas to begin butchering on his own account, and he said he made money at it, or he could not, in 1843, have brought his wife and all the children to the United States. In 1821, he married Sarah Dixon, who came with her husband and six children to Jefferson county, Pennsylvania. Their children were Sarah Ford, who died in Pennsylvania; Rowland, George, Mary, Mrs. Ann Bailey and John, who all came to Perry Co. with their parents in 1864, and settled in Pike township, on a farm one mile from the N. S. & S. R. R., where his wife died in 1877. This farm was sold at $100 per acre, or $16,000, a price due to mineral deposits. After this he bought east of Somerset, and in sight of it, a large tract which he divided between Mrs. Bailey, a daughter, widowed by the loss of her husband in the army, who brought with her from Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, five children; and Rowland, a son who had gone to Illinois, but is now here, and with whom his father is spending the evening of his life, and who has drawn a pencil portrait, both of his father and mother, which do credit to an art taught him in the common schools of England. It was the expressed desire of Mother Walker to have the following lines, slightly altered in expression, engraved upon her tomb:
Sarah Dixon was my name,
England was my nation,
America my dwelling place,
And Christ is my salvation.
When I am dead and in my grave,
And all my bones are rotten,
This inscription testifies.
That I am not forgotten.WALKER, JOHN, JR., farmer, Pike township, New Lexington, Ohio ; was born September 23, 1836, in Nottinghamshire, New Bedford, England, and son of John and Sarah (Dixon) Walker. Mr. Walker was raised a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits in the summer season and the lumber trade in the winter season for about thirteen years. From the time he was twenty-one years of age until he was twenty-five years of age, he made the handsome sum of $1,700, during the winter
season alone with his team. He was united in matrimony with Hannah M., daughter of John and Catharine (Vansickle) Grimes. They have no heirs. Mr. Walker came to the United States with his father in May of 1843, who settled in Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, where he lived until 1864, when he came to Perry county, Ohio. John Walker, the subject of this sketch, came to Perry county in 1862, and owns two hundred and forty acres of land in Bearfield township, and also fourteen acres in New Lexington, where he now lives an acceptable citizen. WALKER, WILLIAM H., was born September 3, 1841, in the town of Somerset, Ohio. He is the eldest of the sons of Joseph Walker, a native of Maryland, who came to Somerset, in company with his family, in the year 1820, and who, in the year 1836, became the husband of Catharine Miller, daughter of George Miller, the weaver. The father of Joseph Walker was William, a blacksmith, and his mother's maiden name was Mary Walters, sister of Jacob Walters, who carried on shoemaking in Somerset. Moved to Zanesville where he died and where his wife still survives him. The grandfather of this Jacob was also William Walters, a maker of leather breeches, who was murdered for his money by a man who confessed the deed on the gallows, and that he got only six cents in cash. The father of this murdered man was a Revolutionary soldier, and lived to the age of one hundred and fourteen years. He was a native of Holland. In August, 1862, William Henry Walker, subject of this sketch, was united in marriage with Miss Maria Russell and the same day departed with Company H, Ninetieth O. V. I. for the war. They have five sons and two daughters living. As stated in the sketch of W. H. Russell, he began business under the name of Walker & Russell in 1866, and his success in his chosen occupation exceeds the average of business men, who start on far greater capital, and is due to that care, attention, industry, sobriety and perseverance which have distinguished both the partners. WALLACE, WILLIAM, miner, Shawnee, Ohio, was born May, 1846, in Edinburgh, Scotland. Son of George and Jane (Wallace) Wallace. Was raised in Edinburgh and learned the trade of lamp maker, and was also a miner some eight years in Lanarkshire, Scotland. Mr. Wallace was married September 10, 1869, to Isabel, daughter of William and Margaret (Graham) Keay, of Edinburgh, Scotland. They are the parents of five children, viz.: George, Margaret, Jane, William and Alfred. Mr. Wallace came to America in August of 1872, leaving his family in Scotland, but in 1873 he sent for them and they arrived in this place on May 14, of the same year. He has made mining his business since coming to this country, and is now inside bank boss in the New York and Straitsville Coal and Iron Company's Mines, a position he has held for one year past. WATT, ISRAEL, farmer and stock raiser, post office McLuney. Born in this county in 1825. Son of Joseph and Mary (Hitchcock) Watt. Grandson of Robert Watt. Grandson of Isaac and Susan (Fuller) Hitchcock. Married in 1848 to Miss Rebecca Iliff, daughter of Thomas and Saloma (Reed) Iliff. They are the parents of five children, viz.: John I., Mary S., Thomas, deceased; J. W. and L. D. Mr. Watt's father was a captain in the War of 1812. WATT, JAMES, farmer, post office, Saltillo. Born in Baltimore
county, Maryland, in 1809. Settled in Perry county in 1837. Son of Charles Watt, who died in 1833, in Muskingum county. Elizabeth (Longley), his mother, died in 1825. Mr. Watt is a grandson of Richard and Elizabeth Watt, and also grandson of Benjamin and Elizabeth Longley. They are of German and English descent. Mr. Watt's grandfather was married in 1830 to Miss Eliza A. Barnett, daughter of Peter and Mary (Owens) Barnett. They are the parents of eight children, viz.: Austin G., deceased; Elizabeth, Charles, John W., William H., John J., deceased; Jonathan, deceased; and George W., deceased. Those living are all married. Mr. Watt had three sons in the late war. George W. enlisted in 1861 in Company D, Thirty-first Regiment, Captain William Free, Army of the Cumberland. He was engaged in the following battles, viz.: Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and Resaca. Austin G. enlisted in 1861, Company H, Sixty-second Regiment, and William H. in Company D, Thirty-first Regiment. WEATHERBURN, THOMAS, mine boss, New Straitsville, Ohio, was born April 27, 1846, in Saghill, county of Northumberland, England. Son of Thomas and Ann (Robson) Weatherburn. Mr. Weatherburn was brought up as a miner in his native county, where he lived until he emigrated to America, setting sail from Liverpool June 1, and landing in New York June 17, 1870, from where he went directly to Cambridge, Guernsey county, Ohio, and was engaged in mining for two years. From Cambridge he came to this place, February 20, 1873, and has been engaged as follows: Laying track for one year in what was then called the Old Troy mine, now known as the Thomas Coal Company mine; laying track one year in what was then the Patterson Coal Company mine, now W. P. Rend & Company's mine; after which he took his present position of mine superintendent for W. P. Rend & Company. Mr. Weatherburn was married August l4, 1869, to Miss Mary Ann Wilson, born January 2, 1848, in West Cramlington, Northumberland, England, daughter of Robert and Mary (Farrer) Wilson. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Ann, born July 2, 1870, and died August 17, 1872. Mary Hannah, born February 5, 1873. Robert William, born August 28, 1875. Joseph, born August 7, 1878, and Evelyn, born April 19, 1881. Mr. Weatherburn's father was born March 14, 1819, in England, where he still lives. His mother was born June 29, 1822, and is still living. Mrs. Weatherburn's father was born May 14, 1823, in England, and is now living in this place, where he has resided for the past ten years. Her mother was born May 8, 1823, in England, and died February 17, 1873, in Cambridge, Guernsey county, Ohio. WEAVER, GEORGE C., junior partner of the Corning Weekly Times. Was born in Wheeling, West Virginia, November 15, 1835, son of John W. and Julia A. (Sayler) Weaver. Mr. Weaver resided in Virginia and Cumberland, Maryland, until he was seventeen years of age, when he came to Columbus, Ohio, in the fall of 1852, and commenced learning the printing business in the office of the Ohio Statesman, then owned and edited by Samuel Medary. Owing to a strike in the office, he was offered a better position in the Ohio State Journal office, which he accepted and where he finished a four years apprenticeship, at which
time he joined the Printer's Typographical Union No. 5. In 1856 he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he worked at his trade as a journeyman printer. In 1857 and 1858 he attended school at Washington College, Washington, Pennsylvania, but the panic of that year so affected his father's financial condition that he was obliged to leave school before graduating, and returned to Columbus in 1858. In 1860 he again went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was licensed as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, which license has been renewed from year to year until the present time. May 23, 1861, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary E., daughter of George and Rebecca Getz. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Harry G., Mary E., John Walter, and his first born, Charles Wesley, who departed this life in September of 1863. Mr. Weaver came to Perry county, Ohio, July 8, 1881, as agent of the Perry county Auxiliary of the American Bible Society, and after having spent several months in Monroe and Harrison townships, the work having been suspended in October, he returned to Columbus, December 10, 1881, he commenced work on the Corning Times, and formed a co-partnership with James H. Sopher, including a half interest January 1, 1881, which interest he still holds. WEAVER, JACOB C., Shawnee, Ohio, was born July 15, 1845, in Deavertown, Morgan county, Ohio; son of John P. and Catharine (Lenhart) Weaver. Mr. Weaver's father is a merchant, and he was raised in Eagle Port, Morgan county, Ohio, until he was thirteen years of age, when his father moved to Blue Rock, Muskingum county, Ohio, and remained about eight years, where Jacob C. was married, August 19, 1865, to Matilda, daughter of Hiram and Matilda (Larrison) Lucas. They became the parents of four children, living, viz.: Harlon C., Tillie K., Eva J. and Elcie D.; and one deceased; Annie C. After this marriage he moved to Delcarbo, and from there to Roseville, Ohio, where he lived about two years, engaged at mining, and returned to Blue Rock, where he remained five years at farming and then came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he has lived up to this time. Since coming to this place his first wife died September 26, 1877. Mr. Weaver was married again December 18, 1879, to Elcedana, daughter of Anthony and Delilah (Rusk) Townsend, of Perry county, Ohio. They are the parents of one child, Mary S. WEILAND, JOSEPH, butcher, Main street, New Lexington Ohio. Mr. Weiland was born June 15, 1840, in Hocking county, Ohio son of George and Catharine (Shrader) Weiland. Joseph was brought up on a farm, where he remained until twenty-one years of age. When about fifteen he began working at the cooper's trade, which he followed during the winters and farmed during the summers until he enlisted in Company D, Seventeenth O. V. I., in September, 1861, and was discharged in July, 1865. He served in the army of the Cumberland and was with General Sherman in his "March to the Sea." On his return he engaged in his present business at Nelsonville, Ohio, where he remained two years and then came to this place in April, 1869. Mr. Weiland was married January 11, 1868, to Miss Mary, daughter of James and Catharine (Hoodlet) Edington, of Nelsonville, Ohio. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Clara Ida, George J., John E. and
Thomas J. This firm is doing an extensive business in their line, both at this place and at Corning, where they have a branch shop. WELLS, DAVID, postmaster, Rendville, Ohio, was born April 3, 1840, in Leeds, Yorkshire, England; son of William and Elizabeth (Fryers) Wells. David went into the mines of England at the age of twelve years, and worked until 1866, when he came to America, and located in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where he remained about fifteen months. Thence he went to Clinton county, Pennsylvania. Came to Columbiana county, Ohio, in 1868, where he remained until 1876 when he came to Perry county, Ohio, and located at Moxahala and followed his accustomed occupation, mining. He came to Rendville in March, 1880, and was appointed postmaster January 30, 1882. Mr. Wells was married first, January 11, 1862, to Sarah Jane, daughter of John and Anne (Frith) Dyson. They became the parents of four children, viz.: Anne Elizabeth, married to John Smith; Mary Anne, married to Martin Davidson; Susanna and Caroline. Mrs. Wells died in September, 1873. Mr. Wells was married the second time, March 22, 1875, to Mrs. Margaret, daughter of Robert and Mary (Parrot) Bardsley. They are the parents of two children, viz.: William and Robert. Mrs. Wells was married first to John Sykes, by whom she had one child, Mary Anne. WELLS, JOSIAH, superintendent S. C. Mining Company; post office, New Straitsville. He is a son of Matthew and Jane Wells, of the county of Cornwall, England. He was born in Charleston, St. Austile, January 8, 1842, and when a boy removed with his parents about twenty miles east, to Pencilva, near Siskead. His parents had seven children, four of whom died in infancy. The others, the subject of this sketch, and two sisters, are yet living. One sister, Elizabeth, is in Bunly, Lancashire, England; the other, Grace, is in Adelaide, South Australia. Josiah went to work as a miner at the age of fourteen. February 15, 1861, his father died, aged fifty-one years, and three years after, he came to America, leaving his mother in England. He first went to Lake Superior, Michigan, and in the latter part of 1866 he came to Nelsonville, Ohio. Three years after, he was married to Cornelia Galentine, and in 1870 he came to New Straitsville, when there were only three or four houses erected there. In March, 1875, he cast his first vote, and at the same time was elected township and corporation clerk. He filled the former office five years. In 1874 his mother died, at the age of seventy-three years. In November, 1880, Mr. Wells took charge of the Straitsville Central Mining Company's mine as superintendent, which position he still holds. Mr. and Mrs. Wells have had nine children, two of whom are dead. Four boys and three girls now constitute their family. WELLS, FRANK C., contractor, brick and stone mason. Corning, Ohio; was born November 28, 1849, in Newark, Licking county, Ohio, son of David A. and Anne (Cunningham) Wells. From his family the town of Wellsburg, West Virginia, derived its name. The Cunninghams are from the eastern States, of English ancestry. Frank C. was brought up at Hebron, Licking county; went to his trade at twenty- one and has followed it to the present time. He came to Corning, Ohio, April 6, 1880. Was married July 30, 1872, to Miss Mary M.,
daughter of Thomas Owen, a native of Wales. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Mary L., David T., died when about seven years old; Leota B., Orville C., deceased and Nellie C., deceased. Mr. Wells united with the Methodist Episcopal Church when about fifteen and is at present an efficient officer in the church and Sunday school. Mrs. Wells has been a faithful member of the Baptist Church since she was about sixteen years of age. WEST, J. L., merchant and liveryman, New Straitsville, Ohio; was born May 2, 1856, in Perry county, Ohio; son of John T. and Sarah (Little) West. Mr. West was raised a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits until 1874, when he came to this place with his parents and attended school about one year, after which he worked at Plummer Hill coal mine For about two months. He then took charge of and superintended a grocery store about one year for his father, at this time purchasing the store himself, continuing about six months, and added to his business that of general merchandise, which he continues to this time. In November, 1881, he bought his brother's livery stable, and in April, 1882, bought the livery stable of J. Watkins, who had been in the business since the town began its existence. April 28, 1882, he bought the livery of Thomas Raybould, and thus controls entirely the livery business of New Straitsville; and runs a semi-daily hack and mail line to Shawnee and return. March 27, 1879, he purchased a house and lot from Thomas Fuliner for $1,000; May 12, 1882, he also purchased a house and lot from Jane Skinner, for the sum of $1,000, and owns a lot at Sand Run. Was married January 10, 1881, to Charlotte Harper, born September 11, 1861, in Nelsonville, Athens county, Ohio, daughter of Benjamin F. and Mary (Spencer) Harper. They became the parents of one child, viz.: John Clarence, who was born December 3, 1881, and died May 23, 1882. Mr. West's parents were born in Ireland and emigrated to America in 1837, and settled in Perry county, Ohio, where his father entered land and cleared the place to set his house. He entered eighty acres of land and added to it by purchase until he owned three hundred and twenty acres, one hundred and sixty acres of which he sold during the coal excitement in this vicinity for $25,000, yet owning the remaining one hundred and sixty acres, which is among the finest coal lands. He also owns one hundred and twenty acres of land in Hocking county, Ohio, and invested $12,000 in houses and lots in this village. Mrs. West's father came to Ohio from Virginia at an early day and married Mary Spencer, of Nelsonville, Athens county, Ohio, and engaged in the business of coal operating, which he followed up to the time of his death, in 1875, in his sixty-first year. Her mother died in 1866 in her thirty-ninth year. In Longstreth's addition to Nelsonville. Ohio, Mrs. West owns twenty town lots at this time. WESTALL, JOHN W., was born in Reading township, in November, 1832, and, excepting his two sons, Samuel and Frank, is the only one of this name left in the county, save his half brother, residing on the homestead, three miles west of Somerset. His great-ancestor, George Westall, was born in London, England, and after a 42 days' voyage, full of peril, landed in Rockingham county, Virginia, in time to serve in the Continental army as a drummer. He had three sons---
James, who died in Cumberland county, Illinois; Ambrose, who was a cripple from an accident in infancy, and Gilderoy, whose children by his first wife, Katharine Lidey, sister of Gen. John Lidey, were Samuel, Joseph F., Eliza, Daniel A., John W., Rachel, Mary, Sarah, and George W., all of whom, except Rachel and Mary, settled in Lawrence county. Ill., these having settled in Whitney county, Ind. John W. Westall was married first in 1855 to Susannah, daughter of Jacob Petty, leaving at her death Samuel M., H. Franklin, and Susannah Katharine, an infant only two weeks old, at the death of her mother in 1861. In April, 1865, he moved to Somerset and started in the grocery trade, which he wound up in 1876, after the death of his second wife, who was a Miss Berkheimer. His father, Gilderoy, came to Ohio in 1821, when 21 years of age, and was noted for his skill as a wrestler, a sport not only peculiar to the Virginians, but much practiced in the early part of the present century in Ohio. His second marriage was to Katharine Montgomery, daughter of Rev. Joshua Montgomery, by whom he became the father of four sons and three daughters, who with their mother reside upon the old homestead. WHITMORE, PETER, son of Peter, Sr.,was born in Belmont county, Ohio, May 16th, 1801, and when yet an infant came with his parents to Perry county in 1802, and in the following year moved on the farm where he lived 78 consecutive years, to the date of his death in 1881. This period of consecutive residence at one place was not exceeded at the date of his death by any resident of Ohio known to him or the writer in 1879, when the facts and dates of this sketch were obtained directly from Peter Whitmore himself, whose memory was found clear and distinct, the intellectual faculties in full play and the naturally mirthful temperament radiant with pleasing humor. He had seven brothers, all of whom preceded him to the grave. He had then but one sister living, a Mrs. Zellinger, in Piqua, Ohio. His mother's name was Mary Magdalena Overmeyer, an aunt to the venerable Peter Overmeyer. Peter Whitmore picked up chestnuts from the ground where the old Court House in Somerset now stands, met bears in his path through the woods at night when a boy 12 years old, and on one occasion scared away this grizzly denizen of the forest by clapping his shoes together. The bears were hard on pigs, but the worst wild beast and the most uniformly hated was the catamount, or wild cat. He went to German school to one Hartman; and to English school to James Johnson, who taught on subscription, about the year 1812. He never attended a free school. The first mill was Shellenbarger's, below Lancaster. His brother John nearly froze on one trip there, and would have frozen but for the kindly offices of Mrs. Binckley, the mother of George W. Peter Whitmore was the seventh child and the third son. He bought 140 acres of the home farm long after his first marriage and prior to his father's death by buying out the interests of his brothers and sisters. He added 44 acres to this purchase and erected a fine brick house in 1840. His barn is also a superb structure, and his vines and orchard, the best in quality and care of selections. In the last few years of his life his passions for good fruit led him to buy and plant liberally. He found for some years past that sheep paid better than wheat, but he had not tried the fertilizers now in general use. He was reared a Lutheran; did
not believe in close communion or consubstantiation, and therefore with three brothers left that church and joined the M. E. Church, to which, as also his present wife, he continued to adhere. In 1824 he voted for Clay, in 1828 for Jackson and other Democratic nominees for President and for Pierce in 1852, for Fremont in 1856 and Republican candidates since. "My father's tax reached $5.50, and we all thought it prodigious. I now pay $65, and we still think it is too much. First saw Zanesville in 1814, when I was twelve years of age. It looked to me then like a big city. Salt was $4.50 per bushel in 1807, so a large company was organized to visit the Kanawha salt works, in Virginia. It consisted of axmen, huntsmen, pilots with compass in hand, horses, pack-saddles, oats bags, camping attachments, etc., etc. They cut a trail from here to Logan and from there they found one already blazed. The Whitmore ancestry came to this country 150 years ago from Switzerland My father, Peter Whitmore, Sr., was born in 1760. He was a soldier in the Revolution for three years, and came to Belmont county, Ohio several years prior to his arrival in Perry, 1803." Peter Whitmore was first married to Miss Lizzie Darsham, a sister of the late Jacob Darsham, of this county, in the year 1823. Their children were Isaac, who married Catharine Stoltz (a daughter of Henry) and died on the home farm leaving two daughters. Dr. Allen, married Lovena Turner, daughter of Joseph Turner, of Rushville, and they had three sons and two daughters living. After the death of this first wife, Dr. Whitmore was married to a daughter of David Brown, and has resided in Thornville for near 30 years as a practitioner of medicine. The last marriage produced no children Hannah, the only daughter, wife of John Wise, Newark, Ohio. Benjamin, a grocer of Somerset for near 25 years, whose first wife was a Miss Thomas, daughter of David Thomas, now of Rushville, to whom one daughter, Laura, was born. The second marriage was to Miss Mary Kishler, to whom two daughters and one son were born. He is very prosperous and successful in business. Michael, died when four years old. Adam, married a daughter of Jacob Bugh, and resides in Milton Station, Coles county, Illinois, and a farmer by occupation. David, who was not heard from for 23 or 24 years. He is now in Washington Territory. Thomas, was married to a daughter of Mr. Andrew Baker, of this county, and a sister of ex-sheriff Martin's wife. He is in the hardware trade at Topeka, Kansas. He has five children, and was in 55 battles of the Rebellion where his comrades fell. Frank, was in the late war from first to last, and went to Arizona, where he was killed by a mine explosion. William, was married to a Miss Baltzer, in Miami county, Ohio. He resides in Topeka, Kansas, where he is chief clerk in the post office, at a salary of $85 per month. He also saw service in the late war. John, was married to a daughter of Ellison Martin, and resides on the home farm. This marriage produced two beautiful twin daughters, now over twelve years of age, since which one more daughter was born. He was also in the war and the only one of six brothers who was wounded. Randolph was married in Topeka, Kansas, where he is in service as a freight agent. He was also in the war. The second marriage of Peter Whitmore was to Miss
Mary Davis. The children by this marriage ware George, who died in his fourth year; Daniel, now married to a Miss Dorris, and devoted to agricultural pursuits, and Miss Mary, who with her mother, reside in the ancestral home, hallowed by a thousand recollections of the past, the beautiful homestead of Peter Whitmore, Sr., and Peter, Jr., whose names and memory it embalms and commemorates. WHITMORE, REV. SAMUEL, minister in the United Brethren Church; born Novembers, 1821, in Richland township, Fairfield county. He is a son of George Whitmore, and a nephew of Peter Whitmore, Jr., now deceased. His grandmother was an Overmeyer, a sister of Peter Overmeyer, Sr. His mother was Sarah Miller, a native of Pennsylvania. In 1842, Samuel Whitmore was married to Miss Susannah, daughter of George Bowman, the first of this name in Perry county, and who had a brother, Daniel, the father of Michael Bowman, now of Somerset. The wife of George Bowman, Susannah Rugh, was a sister of Solomon, Peter and Michael Rugh, of Fairfield county. Samuel had five brothers---Andrew, Solomon, Peter, Isaiah and George, and one sister, now Mrs. Walmire, of Thorn, formerly Mrs. Jonathan Palmer of Richland township. His mother was married to a second husband, Mr. John Brown, of Richland; and by this marriage he has two half-sisters, one a Mrs. Isabella Yaney, the other a Mrs. Sarah Ann Miller. He and his goodly wife have but two daughters, a Mrs. Isaac Mechling and a Mrs. Daniel Needy, both of Somerset. Rev. Mr. Whitmore has served his church in the capacity of Presiding Elder, a dignity which he supported with satisfaction to his district and superior officers. On the maternal side, he traces his ancestry to that of John George Obermeyer, who was born in Baden, in 1727, and in testimony of whose "honest service and praiseworthy conduct, especially in his knowledge of Evan- gelical Lutheran religion, the Rev. John Christian Ebersole, pastor of Blachenloch, most cheerfully certifies," in 1751. After sailing four weeks on the Rhine, landing at Amsterdam on June 20, he set sail for England, and on the 22d set sail for America. These facts are preserved in German manuscript, kindly translated by Rev. M. Walter, of the Lutheran Church, now residing in Somerset. WHITE, REV. JAMES, is a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, and was born January 17, 1832. He is one of sixteen children---eight sons and eight daughters, who all grew to womanhood and manhood. His father, John W. White, was a native of Pennsylvania, of Scotch-Irish descent, and came to Ohio in 1802 or '03. His entire family are Presbyterian, except one brother. Of the sixteen children, six brothers and six sisters are still living in 1882; all are married, and all have homes of their own. Father White was a farmer, and died at the age of seventy-seven, in Muskingum county. His wife, the mother of Rev. James White, is yet living, at the age of eighty-one years, and it was on occasion of her illness in 1882, that caused a visit from James, all the way from New York, to smooth the pillow of her affliction. Growing better in a few weeks, he returned to his home, grateful for the restoration of his aged parent. Those who know Rev. James White best, need not be told of that Command which enjoins upon us all to "Honor our parents, that our days may be long in the land." The maiden name of this aged mother was Hannah Guthrie. The mother of her husband was a Hamilton,
and a relative of the great Alexander Hamilton, of whom Daniel Webster said while speaking of him as the finance minister of Washington: "The rod of his genius smote the rock of our dried up resources, and forth came floods of revenue." The history of Rev. James White begins with his education at Muskingum College, New Concord, Ohio, where he also served two years as Professor of Mathematics. He was licensed to preach in April, 1861; was Chaplain of the One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Ohio National Guards: served as pastor of Jonathan Creek U. P. Church for eighteen years, near where he founded the Madison Academy, of which he served as President during the last ten years of his pastorate. This academy still flourishes, and, it is believed, will stand as an enduring monument to his memory. In 1879, Rev. White received a call from the Charles Street U. P. Church, of New York City. This church has not less than five hundred and twenty members, and they pay a salary of $2,500, furnish a study, well lighted and warmed, and other emoluments, making the station one of the first in rank and dignity; and no man could fill it more gracefully or ably. He celebrated his silver wedding September 21, 1882. His estimable wife was, in her maiden days, Miss Amelia A. Wallace, daughter of Rev. William Wallace, of Cambridge, Ohio. The children of Rev. White by this marriage are, the wife of Mr. Edward Ream, a prosperous and highly esteemed hardware merchant of Somerset, Ohio, and her brother, John P. White, now of New York. WHITE, HAMILTON, liquor dealer, New Straitsville; was born in 1842, in Scotland; is a son of Hamilton and Margaret White. In 1864 he came to America, stopping a short time in Pennsylvania. From there he went to Illinois, and in Chicago enlisted in the Ninth Illinois Cavalry. He was mustered out of the service in Selma, Alabama, and returned to Illinois. In 1872, he came to New Straitsville, and was married to Ann McBride, daughter of John and Ann McBride, natives of Ireland. They have one daughter, born June 8, 1877. WIGTON, J. H., farmer and stock raiser; post office, Roseville, Muskingum county. The father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Muskingum county in 1817. Was married in 1842 to Miss Sarah Horner. They had nine children, of whom J. H. is one. Their names were: J. H., Elizabeth, Ellen, Mary J., Margaret A., deceased; Alice C., Mattie M., J. C., W. W., deceased; one married. The father died in 1873. WILKINS, JOHN, farmer; post office, Mount Perry; was born in 1816, in Frederick county, Virginia; son of James, Jr., and grandson of James, Sr., who was an English soldier; and in consequence of a severe wound in one of the battles of the Revolution, never again returned to his native country, but remained in Virginia, where he married a Highland Scotch wife, who became the mother of an only child, James Wilkins, Jr. This James was by tradition entitled to an estate in England, which was lost by the slackness of the laws then in force, and the infancy of the only heir in America, which heir perhaps was entirely unknown, on the false supposition that James, Sr., had died without heirs. The father of John Wilkins was a soldier in the War of 1812; the husband of Hannah Roberts, whom he married about the beginning of the present century; a superintendent of a large Virginia plantation, at a
good salary for many years; the owner of a few slaves there, at the death of one of whom, John cried bitterly as having lost a kind nurse. In 1830 the Wilkins family came to Perry county, and a few years later to Muskingum county, where James, the father, died, at the age of eighty-five years. He was a man of remarkable physical endurance, and in his eightieth year, could plow, sow and reap. Mother Wilkins survived her husband only a few years. Her children were Nancy, the wife of Joseph, and the mother of Nathan Plank, who after the death of her husband became the wife of Joseph Snyder, and died as such in Hopewell township; Charles and Mary, of Lawrence county, Ohio; William, White Cottage, Ohio; Joseph, Lytlesburg, Ohio; Theodore, Lima, Ohio; Rev. Llewellyn, of the New Light belief; and two children, deceased, in Muskingum county. In 1839, John Wilkins was married to Mary, daughter of John Bowser. He soon settled where he now lives, section thirteen, Hopewell, and where some of the soil on his farm has been under cultivation for sixty consecutive years, and the last crop of corn measured over one hundred bushels to the acre. It thus supports its fertility by alluvial deposit, and by its natural strength. Their children are eight in number, all living, except Mary, deceased wife of Samuel Bowman, Arcola, Illinois; Leroy, farmer, post office same; James, John T., Eliza, wife of Samuel Bowman, and Abraham, post office, Mount Perry, Ohio; Ann Maria, wife of Daniel Siberds, and Emanuel, post office, North Manchester, Indiana. These sons and daughters are all comfortably situated, and some of them growing wealthy. Five of the sons weigh 1,160 pounds, the lightest of whom is nearly 200. The mother was a large, handsomely sized woman; the father has weighed 180 pounds; head twenty-two and one-fourth inches, health good, habits temperate, but not abstemious from stimulants. After the death of his wife in 1879, Mr. Wilkins was married to Mrs. Delilah Stine, in 1881, whose maiden name was Dollings; of Scotch and English parentage, and whose father was a native of Virginia, and whose mother was a native of Kentucky. By her first husband, John Creighton Stine, she had two sons, both married; one a teacher and the other a potter by occupation. She alleges that her grandfather, Slover, was a Tory in the Revolution, and that her father fought on the American side, in 1812. At this second marriage, she and her children were welcomed to the Wilkins home by all of Mr. Wilkins' sons and daughters, who reside in the vicinity. WILLIAMS, JOHN L., was born the 18th of June, 1813, in Berkley county, Virginia. His brother, H. T., lives in Virginia. At the age of fifteen he went to the tailoring trade, receiving a freedom suit and his boarding and clothing for a term of five years. He attended subscription school, and for those days became a fair scholar in reading, writing and arithmetic. About this time his father died and he went home and conducted the farm, for about two years, when in 1836 he landed in Somerset, Ohio, where he had a brother-in-law by the name of William Wright, a saddler, whose sister Mr. Williams had married prior to his removal to Ohio. He was there married December 19, 1835, to Jane Ellen Wright. By this union eight children were born, the eldest, Sarah, in Virginia, the others in Somerset, whose names occur according to date of birth: Sarah, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitura, John,
Jane and Charles. Of these, only Rebecca and Charles are now living, Rebecca in Somerset, and Charles in Lancaster. He has, at this date, eleven grandchildren living. On his arrival in Somerset, he began the tailoring business, which he carried on to the time of his appointment as postmaster in 1861, which position he has maintained to this date, twenty years or more. Prior to his service as postmaster, he was elected eight consecutive years as clerk of the township, which, consid- ering the fact that the township was strongly opposed to Mr. Williams' politics, exhibits his popularity and the esteem of his fellow citizens. He was never beaten for this office, and it was not until he declined being a candidate that his successor was chosen. He joined the Methodist Church in 1841, and has maintained his membership ever since. His taxes, and those of his second wife, who was Elizabeth C. Rhodes, still living, amount to $70 a year. His success in life is due to his upright dealing, his sterling honesty, his unflagging industry, his genteel deportment, and his inborn politeness and urbanity, which even now, at the age of sixty-eight, adheres to his manners. Only two men are now living who were here when Mr. Williams first came to Somerset. These are William Jackson and David Brunner. He has belonged to the Masonic fraternity since 1839. His son, John, died at Nashville, a member of the Ninetieth Ohio Regiment. His remains are lying in the cemetery in Somerset. He corresponded for the Lancaster Gazette while in the army, and his bosom companion, Tom Talbot, while bearing the colors at Atlanta, fell a sacrifice on the altar of his country's cause. Just this year a Post of the Grand Army of the Republic was instituted in Somerset under the name of "Tom Talbot Post," a fitting compliment to the youthful hero, and to the memory of daring deeds and undying affection. WILLIAMS, ELIAS DAVID, collier, Shawnee, Ohio; was born May 15, 1836, in Aberystwyth Cardiganshire, Wales; son of David and Catharine (Evans) Williams. Mr. Williams remained in his native place working in lead mines, until December, 1863, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York, from whence he went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he remained four years and six months and thence to Irondale, Jefferson county, eighteen months, and then to Coshocton, Ohio, where he superintended the Home Company's coal mine two years, and then came to his present locality, being the second family that located in the place, and is now engaged by the Upson Coal Company, where he has been successful, being one of the free-holders of the place. Mr. Williams was married in December, 1855, to Ann, daughter of John and Jane (Rolling) Edwards. They are the parents of eight children, viz.: Jane, Kate, Mary, David, Ann, John, Maggie and William, living and seven deceased. Jane is married to Evan O. Jones, Kate to Charles E. Davis, both of Shawnee, Ohio; Mary to William Davis, of Orbiston, Ohio. Mr. Williams is now deacon in the Welsh Presbyterian or Calvinistic Methodist Church. WILLIAMS, EDMOND D., collier, Shawnee, Ohio; was born March 28, 1837, in Monmouthshire, Wales; son of Daniel and Ann ( Harris) Williams; was raised a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits in connection with mining until he was twenty-eight years of age. The farm his father rented and upon which he was born, had been rented by
the Williams family for over two hundred years, and in his day the rent was only half us much as neighboring farms. The owner, Windham Lewis, said that the rent should not increase while it was rented by the Williams family. His great grandfather raised a family of fifteen children; his grandfather a family of twelve children, and his father a family of ten children, all upon this farm of three hundred and fifty acres, only thirty of which are arable, the remainder being pasture land. The farm was rented last by his brother Daniel, who lived until February 25, 1879. But the farm changed hands some four years previous to his death. After being engaged upon the farm he went to Mountain Ash, remaining two years as a miner, from whence he came to America in June of 1868, and has been engaged at the following places: Youngstown, Ohio, three months, farming: Oak Hill, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, short time; Orangeville, nine months, mining: Monongahela River, mining; Pan-Handle Railroad, four years, mining; Illinois, mining; S. E. Railroad, mining two years; Springfield. Illinois, mining; Cairo, Arkansas and Texas Railroad, three months, railroading; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, about two years, mining; Pan-Handle Railroad, six months, mining; Shawnee, where he has been engaged in mining to the present time, coming to this place in the fall of 1880. He was married September 20, 1881, to Ann, daughter of James and Esther (Jenkins) Driver. They became the parents of one child that died in infancy. WILLIAMS, JOHN R., blacksmith, Shawnee, Ohio; was born June 18, 1837, in Llanfachreth parish, county of Anglesey, North Wales; son of Robert and Mary (Jones) Williams. At the age of fourteen he went into his father's shop to learn his trade.. His grandfather was also an iron worker. At the age of twenty, John R. came to America and located in Pomeroy, Meigs county, where he remained until 1872, when he came to this place, and worked for the Shawnee Valley Coal and Iron Company seven years. In 1879 he established his present shop in which he is prepared to do all kinds of general smithing, Mr. Williams was married in the spring of 1866, to Miss Mariah, daughter of Henry and Anne (Williams) Davis, of Gallia county, Ohio. They are the parents of nine children, four of whom are deceased, and five living, viz.: Annie, Henry, Robert, Sarah and John. WILLIAMS, WILLIAM E., tinner and sheet iron manufacturer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born November 21, 1845, near Llamlly, Carmarth- inshire, Wales; son of William and Anne (Evans) Williams. At the age of eleven years William E. went to work in the coal mines of Scotland, and worked two years. Then he successively worked in the tin shop, foundry and coal mines, until May, 1869, when he sailed for America, locating first in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, and followed mining there, and at the following places: Pomeroy and Shawnee, locating here in 1872; established his present business in 1876. Mr. Williams was married May 12, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of John and Margaret Thomas. They became the parents of three children, viz.: Mary and Anne, deceased, and John, living with Daniel Lewis, whom Mr. Williams has employed to care for his son. Mrs. Williams died May 26, 1869, and is buried in the Welsh cemetery, at Minersville, near Pomeroy, Ohio.
WILLIAMS, THOMAS W., collier, Shawnee, Ohio; was born April 5, 1840, in Carno, Monmouthshire, Wales; son of Thomas and Mary (Williams) Williams. Mr. Williams was raised in Carno until he was about twelve years of age, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York after a seven weeks' voyage, when he went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and remained at Charter's Creek near Pittsburgh about nine months, engaged in coal mining, and has been employed as follows. Weatherfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, until about 1864, coal mining while there, and during the time he made that place his home; he was at Minersville, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri. Was married March 1, 1867, to Mary, daughter of William and Mary (Daniels) Morgan, of Minersville, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Mary Ann, Catharine, Hannah, William, deceased; Thomas, deceased; and Lizzie, deceased. After his marriage he has been engaged as follows: Weatherfield four months; Brookfield, Ohio, six months; Mason City. Virginia, about three years; Coalton, Kentucky, until 1873; Mason City three months, and then moved to Shawnee, where his family has remained up to this time, but he was employed a short time in mining in Coshocton, Ohio. He owns a neat and comfortable home in this place. WILLIAMS, DAVID S., mine boss for W. P. Rend and Company, Rendville, Ohio; born August 28, 1840, in Wales; son of David S. and Elizabeth (Roberts) Williams. At the age of seven years he went into the mines in Wales and worked there until 1860, when he came to America and located in Trumbull county, Ohio, and engaged in mining. He remained there about fifteen years, then went to Illinois and filled the position of mine boss at Streator, Lasalle county, for two years. He then returned to this State and was mine boss for Maple Hill Coal Company about three years. He came to Rendville in November, 1881, and took charge, as mine boss, first at number three, then at number two, accepting his present position in August, 1881. Mr. Williams was married December 23, 1858, to Elizabeth, daughter of William and Elizabeth Abram. They are the parents of ten children, viz.: Elizabeth, married to Louis S. Howbrie; William S., Mary Ann, Catharine, Minnie Jane, David D., Margaret, Thomas, Lucy, deceased; and Lewis, deceased. Mr. Williams has had a very extensive experience in mining and fully understands the business, having been mine boss since he was eighteen years of age. WILLIAMS, THOMAS J., farmer, Madison township, post office Sego. He is a son of William and Mary (Wright) Williams, and was born August 8, 1828. He is an agriculturalist, which vocation he has always followed. He came to this township in 1836, and was married May 1, 1855, to Mary, daughter of William and Mary (Boone) Cullum. They have four children: Howard H., Charles A., Mary B. and Elmer E. WILLIAMS, REESE E., mine boss, Shawnee; was born December 4, 1842, in Breconshire, Wales; son of Thomas and Rachel (Williams) Williams. Mr. Williams was moved to Monmouthshire at the age of four years, where he remained until he was twenty-one years of age, and was engaged in Wales as follows: Glamorganshire about five or six years, as foreman in a mining shaft. At this time he emigrated to
America, landing in New York; and has remained here up to the present, engaged as follows: At Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, three months; Thomastown, Summit county, Ohio, where he was attacked by typhoid fever, from which he narrowly escaped with his life; mining in this place in the winter season and at Talmage in summer season, for about four years. During the time he was engaged at this place he was married, July 3, 1871, to Elizabeth, daughter of Philip and Sarah (Williams) Thomas. They became the parents of one child, viz.: Elizabeth, who only lived fifteen months. Mrs. Williams departed this life February 8, 1872, aged nineteen years and a few days. In 1872 Mr. Williams came to Shawnee, where he has remained to this time, in his present position, which he took in June of 1872. Mr. Williams' second marriage took place May 22, 1881, to Mary E., daughter of John and Elizabeth (Harris) Harris, of Glamorganshire, Wales. They are the parents of one child, viz.: Celia. Mrs. Williams was educated in Wales for a school teacher, where like a tradesman, they are obliged to serve an apprenticeship of five years before they can be employed, upon their own application, by a school board. After entering upon their apprenticeship they can only be released by the payment of ten pounds or giving six month's notice. After serving out an apprenticeship they are then granted what is known as a Queen's certificate; after this still, they require improvement upon the part of teachers, by which they are graded every two years as long as they continue to teach, and it would be well also to state that this apprenticeship includes, "Household and domestic economy, pastry, etc." Mrs. Williams taught in Wales eight years and employed her vacations in visiting some of the prominent places of interest in England and Ireland. She went across Milford Haven to Waterford and Kilkenny, through Limerick; to the lakes of Killarney and through Cork. WILSON, JAMES, farmer and hotel keeper, Maxville, Ohio; born in Hopewell township, Perry county, Ohio, March 24, 1821, son of Isaac and Margaret (Rison) Wilson. Spent early boyhood on a farm, and in 1838 came to Monday Creek township with his father, where he has ever since resided. Mr. Wilson was among the early settlers of that township and has always been one of its most highly respected citizens, having served in the capacity of trustee of that township for two terms. He was, at one time, extensively engaged in quarrying and burning limestone, but is now quietly residing on his farm and keeping hotel in the village of Maxville. He was married February 8, 1844, to Eliza, daughter of David and Sarah (Larimer) Haggerty, of Fairfield county, to whom was born one child, Isaac, who died at the early age of three months. Mrs. Wilson died on the anniversary of her marriage, in 1845, having been a bride but one year. Mr. Wilson was married the second time to Margaret, daughter of Robert and Margaret (Ray) Larimer. January 2, 1850. WILSON, THOMAS, farmer and stock raiser, post office Roseville, Muskingum county; born in Muskingum county in 1814; came to Perry county in 1828; son of Zedick and Elizabeth (Stewart) Wilson; grandson of Matthew Wilson, grandson of Pozy and Prudence Stewart. Married in 1842 to Miss Christie A. Wylie, daughter of John
and Hannah (McClain) Wylie. They are the parents of eight children, viz.: Harriet, John, deceased; Zadock, George, Marion, deceased; Luther, Clara, Thomas. Zadock served in the last war in the One Hundred and Fifty-ninth Ohio Volunteers. WILSON, WILLIAM, formerly of the firm of Wilson and Rutter, butchers. New Lexington. Ohio; was born October 11, 1841, in Falls township, Hocking county; son of Ezra and Elizabeth (Burgess) Wilson. William was brought up on the farm and has followed agriculture, husbandry and butchering to the present time. He came to this county about the year 1857, and located in Clayton township, at his present residence. The present firm was formed November 5, 1881. Mr. Wilson was married March 1, 1864, to Miss Rachel C., daughter of George White and Harriet (Richards) Moore. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Sorata Bell, Malcome Everett, deceased; Edward Beecher, Howard Franklin, George Morris, Jesse Heber and Valus Wilma. WILSON, JOHN, collier, Shawnee, Ohio; was born February 21, 1848, in Cockfield, county of Durham, England; son of John and Elizabeth (Wanless) Wilson. Mr. Mason's father moved to Crook, soon after his birth, where he was raised and employed at brick making and mining until he was about the age of twenty years. At nineteen years of age he took the position of weighmaster and timekeeper, which he held about five years, and again for three years was employed in the mine, and a second time was weighmaster and timekeeper for one year, at which time he emigrated to America, leaving Liverpool September 22, and landing in New York October 3, 1879, from where he came to this place where he has lived to the present time, and enjoys his own home. Was married June 28, 1873, to Hannah, daughter of Judge and Isabel (Richardson) Scott, in county of Durham. Mr. Wilson is a local preacher and class leader in the Primitive Methodist Church of this place. WINTER, W., post office Crooksville; merchant; born in Muskin- gum county, in 1851. He came to Perry county in 1878. He is a son of Wickum Winter, who died in 1856. His mother, Elizabeth, died in 1857, leaving Mr. Winter to do for himself at a very early age. At the age of seven he engaged in the pottery business with Squire Crook, of Crooksville; serving with him till the age of twenty-one years. He then went to Iowa, being there some eighteen months. He then returned and engaged in shipping stone ware, till he engaged in his present business, that of dry goods and grocery trade. Mr. Winter was married, in 1877, to Miss Sarah McKeever, daughter of Samuel and Hannah McKeever. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Francis A., Samuel G. and Thomas M. WISEMAN, JUDGE JOSEPH G., was born December 6, 1801, in Monroe county, now West Virginia; post office Salem. By occupation in early life a bricklayer and later, a farmer, also. He is a son of Rev. John Wiseman, who came to section twenty-nine, Thorn township, Perry county. Ohio, in 1818, and grandson of Isaac Wiseman, who died in Virginia, at the age of ninety-two. The brothers of Judge Wiseman were James G., John R., Isaac, Philip S. and Jacob G. Wiseman; all gone. His sisters were Elizabeth, wife of John Brattin; Margaret,
wife of Aaron Morgan; and Ann, wife of George Stinchcomb; all gone. His mother's maiden name was Sarah Green, a native of Rockingham county, Virginia, and a niece of Hugh McGarey, an Indian fighter, of Kentucky, a companion of Daniel Boone. The memory of these brave men is preserved in a poem by Bryant. The father of Judge Wiseman was with Washington at Valley Forge; died in 1842, in his eighty-second year, and rests in the Methodist Episcopal cemetery, at Salem. He was a local preacher, regularly ordained, and solemnized marriages. Judge Wiseman was married in 1827 to Miss Susan, daughter of John Manley. Four of her six children still survive. In 1844, after the death of his wife, he was married to Mrs. Katharine Parr. In 1855, after the death of his second wife, he was married to Miss Nancy J. Melick, sister of Alexander Melick, of Madison township. His children are: Louisa, wife of N. H. Crouch, of Newark; Minta S., wife of H. F. Winders, Findlay, Ohio; J. Manly Wiseman, married to Caroline Baker, sister of Andrew Baker, and Katharine, wife of Charles Kelsey, post office Salem; one son and three daughters. His son, Theodore, went into the Seventeenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry at the beginning of the war, lost his health, and died at the age of twenty-three. Joseph G. Wiseman became Associate Justice on the Common Pleas bench of Perry county and served six years. He was a Filmore elector in 1856, and a Bell elector in 1860, and served six years as Justice of the Peace. He supported the war policy of Lincoln and has since voted with the Republicans. He has acquired a handsome estate by plodding industry and honest labor, enjoys a pleasant home, and the respect of his neighbors, and except Elijah Kemper and Jonas Groves, has voted longer in Thorn township than any other man. He always was a great reader and patronized literature. WOLF, LEWIS, Superintendent of the German miners at Buckingham, Ohio; was born April 22, 1840, in Knox township, Columbiana county, Ohio; son of Henry and Margaret (Stoffer) Wolf. Was brought up on a farm where he remained until twenty-one, when he engaged in mining iron ore, at which he worked about five years. He then superintended the mining of iron ore and coal, and prospecting for iron ore and coal until 1877, when he came to Moxahala, and in the spring of 1880 came to his present residence. Mr. Wolf was married in the spring of 1861 to Miss Emma, daughter of William McLaughlin, of Georgetown, Columbiana county, Ohio. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Luander, William, Emerson, Charles, George, Leora and Gertrude. Mr. Wolf has devoted the greater part of his life to mining and prospecting for iron ore and coal, by which he has acquired a very useful experience. WOLF, GEORGE, JR., dealer in hides, fur, sheep pelts, at Junction City, Ohio; son of William D., and Susans (Chidester) Wolf. Was born March 10, 1842, in Ewing, Hocking county, Ohio. He stayed on the farm till the age of nineteen, after which he went to the saddler trade and served three years apprenticeship; then worked as journey- man for a few years, a part of the time running a shop of his own. He started a saddle and harness shop in Junction City in 1871, which he carried on until 1879; since that time has been engaged in his present business, dealing in wool in the summer season. Mr. Wolf was married
in January of 1871, to Catharine, daughter of John and Christina Filing. They are the parents of one child, Lizzie Idela. Spent one winter with the Osage Indians, being at that time connected with a trading post. WOOD, J. E., shoemaker, post office, Moxahala. Pleasant township; born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. Left home when eleven years old, went to Pittsburgh, obtained work on the boat "Metropolis" for five years; then learned the shoemaker trade at Pittsburgh; then went to New Orleans; from there to Galveston, Charleston, Augusta, Nashville; then worked in several towns in Kentucky. Then he went back to New Orleans and through the southwest, Mexico, Texas, and the Indian Territory; lived with the Comanche Indians a while; rescued a white child from the Comanches, brought it east, and his mother raised it. He enlisted in 1861 in the Eighteenth U. S. Infantry; was captured at the first Fredericksburg fight, remained a prisoner on Bell Island four months; he was then exchanged, returned to Camp Chase and did guard duty for eight months, and was then sent forward again and joined his regiment. He was in the battles of Slaughter Pen, Spottsylvania, and Cold Harbor; was wounded there and taken to City Point Hospital; was then transferred to Emery Hospital; then to Little York, and then discharged. Since then he has made his home in Clayton township. WOODCOCK, JOHN W., SR., of the firm of Woodcock, Son & Co., New Lexington, Ohio; was born July 16, 1815, in Licking Creek, Bedford county, Pennsylvania; son of Bancroft and Elizabeth (Giles) Woodcock. John Giles, grandfather of Mr. Woodcock, joined the British Navy when eleven years of age, and served eleven years. He was in the engagement between the Rodney and De Grace, and received a wound in the leg by a spike which he pulled from the wound with his teeth. At the age of sixteen years John W. went into his father's foundry. The first cupola west of the Allegheny Mountains was put up by him. The blast was produced by a large bellows, worked by horse power. In 1838 the father and son moved to Wheeling, West Virginia, and continued business there until 1849. From there John W. came to Brownsville, Licking county, Ohio, where he conducted the foundry business until 1873, when he came to this place. Mr. Woodcock made the first coke at Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, produced west of the Allegheny Mountains. Bancroft Woodcock was the patentee of the celebrated "Self sharpner" plow. This plow came into use in 1832, and has continued to be used to the present time. Samuel J., the youngest of John W.'s family, is the inventor of the mill manufactured by the Woodcock firm in this place. This is believed to be the best feed grinding mill now in use. Mr. John W. Woodcock, the subject of this sketch, was married March 4, 1841, to Miss Mary Elizabeth, daughter of George and Jane (Miller) Abel, of Belmont county, Ohio. They are the parents of the following children, viz.: Jane Elizabeth, George B., John C., Irene E., Hattie, deceased, and Samuel J. WOODWARD, ROBERT BRUCE, M. D., was born March 4, 1839, in Newton township, Muskingum county, Ohio; son of David Woodward, a highly respectable farmer, who was a native of Bradford township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. His mother's maiden name was Susan
German, a native of Hopewell township, Muskingum county, Ohio. Of six sons, only Samuel D. and John T. Woodward survive. Two daughters, Elizabeth, wife of Timothy Bowden, and Isabel, wife of Loyd F. Croft, are living. Evans, Harrison and Amos, brothers of Dr. R. B. Woodward, are deceased. October 14, 1869, the doctor was married to Miss Ella, daughter of the late venerable James Combs, of Reading township, Perry county, Ohio. The children by this marriage are: Robert Edmund, Charles D., and an infant daughter, Adelle. Dr. Woodward, when yet in his minority, devoted himself to books, using all his spare time from work upon the farm, in acquiring knowledge; became a teacher in the common schools of his native county; read medicine with Dr. Cushing, and afterwards with Dr. Beckwith, both of Zanesville, Ohio. Graduated February 14, 1867, at Cleveland Medical College, at the head of his class of twenty-eight, in anatomy and materia medica; practiced some time in Zanesville, and March 25, 1869, located in Somerset, where he devoted himself with assiduity to his chosen profession. He soon rose in public esteem, not only as a valuable physician, but as an exemplary citizen. He was three times elected Mayor of Somerset, and to his faithful service the town owes its first delivery from the machinations of rowdyism and disorder. He volunteered in Company G, One Hundred and Ninety-sixth Regiment, O. V. I., and served to the end of the War of the Rebellion, being honorably discharged September, 1865. Was Representative to the Grand Lodge of Ohio, I. O. O. F., two sessions. His industry, devotion to his profession, and his scrupulous attention to every duty assigned to his charge, has won for him golden honors, and such a share of public confidence as seldom falls to a man of his age. His practice of medicine has become so extensive as to make large drafts on time, both day and night, and its burdens are so great that none but an iron constitution and an unflagging energy could equal the demands upon his professional service. WORSTALL, THOMAS D., cigar manufacturer and tobacconist, New Lexington, Ohio; born June 28, 1859, in Putnam, Ohio; son of Dudley R. and Anne Lucy (Berkshire) Worstall. Young Worstall learned his trade with his father, who has been engaged in the same business for about thirty years. Thomas D. established business in this place in 1881, and is building up an active trade. WRIGHT, JACKSON, farmer, Pike township; post office, New Lex- ington, Ohio; was born February 2, 1826, in this township, and on the farm where he now lives; son of Thomas and Margaret (Ankney) Wright. Mr. Wright was brought up on a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits up to this time. He lived with his father until he was twenty-four years of age, when he was married December 26, 1850, to Rebecca Groves, born August 16, 1830, in Reading township, this county; daughter of Lewis and Ellen (Huston) Groves. They are the parents of six living children, viz.: Burrel B, James Horace, Lewis Alexander, Maggie Caroline, Mary Ellen, Thomas A., and one deceased, William Jackson. Soon after this marriage, he moved into the old homestead, where his father had bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, and lived there for five years, when he moved into the new frame dwelling by which his father had supplanted the log cabin of yore in
1843, where he still lives. Mr. Wright's father came from Somerset county, Pennsylvania, to Ohio in 1812, moving by a four-horse wagon. It rained upon him every day but one while upon his journey. In 1813 he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land, and soon after that purchase, entered three hundred and twenty acres; and as opportunity afforded and fortune blessed him, he bought two farms of one hundred and sixty acres each, near New Lexington; one of one hundred and sixty acres, lying just west of the land he had entered; and one of one hundred and sixty acres, where Patrick Sherlock now lives; owning all of this land at one time. He lived to see his eighty-first year, and died July l, 1865. His wife survived him, living until March 30, 1881, and was in her ninety-second year at the time of her death. Mr. Wright, the subject of this sketch, became the support of his parents in their declining years, and from the time he moved into his present dwelling until they died, he cared for them. His father gave him one hundred and seventy-one acres of the home farm, to which he afterward added eighty acres, buying forty acres from his brother-in-law, William Storts, and forty acres of his brother, Calvin; also eight acres off of what is now the James McDonald farm; and at his father's death he received seventy-eight acres by will. He has since sold thirty-one acres to Burrel, forty-seven acres to James, and forty acres to Lewis, his sons, and yet owns two hundred and nineteen acres. Mr. Wright has served several terms as township trustee, and is a prosperous farmer.