HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "T"
TAYLOR, JAMES, dealer in coal land, projector of railroads and inventor, and at present a resident of Columbus, Ohio; born in Perry county in October, 1825, a son of Thomas Taylor, and a grandson of Thomas Taylor, native of county Down, Ireland. He was editor of sundry newspapers, and for three years editor-in-chief of the Ohio State Journal. James Taylor would be a leader in human thought and action in any community. As a writer his style is vigorous, pungent and sententious. He was asked "When did your father, Thomas Taylor come to America?" "He did not come at all," was the reply. "How then did he get here?" "He was brought," was the answer. "Who brought him and when?" "He was impressed into the British service under General Gage to coerce the Colonies, and landed in Boston in 1774." "I suppose he deserted the British service after that?" "No," replied Mr. Taylor, "he did not; he just left. How could a man desert an army he never joined? No, sir; he just left Boston, wandered into Western Massachusetts, and finally joined the American army; was appointed ensign and orderly to James Monroe, chief of Washington's staff; served with Monroe while in the army and otherwise to the close of the war; then settled in Fauquier county, Virginia, on Monroe's farm, where his seven sons and five daughters were born." These seven sons were Nathaniel, William, Thomas, John, George, James, deceased young, and Joseph. The daughters were Katharine, Sarah, Mary, Elizabeth and Ellen. Of these seven sons, Thomas, Jr., was the father of James, and had also seven sons and five daughters. The names were Joshua O. Taylor, a Justice of the Peace in Newton township, Muskingum county, Ohio, for thirty years; Thomas Evan Taylor, died in Danville prison; James; John S., in Clayton township, Perry county; George W., deceased, who was Justice of the Peace in both Harrison and Clayton townships; William A., Columbus, Ohio; and Albert G., killed at Mission Ridge. The
sisters of James and the daughters of Thomas Taylor were Amelia, wife of William Adams, Pike township; Elizabeth, deceased wife of L. D. Gardner; Sarah, wife of John B. De Long, of Harrison township; Mary, deceased at eighteen; and Katharine, wife of William A. Babbitt, New Lexington, Ohio. By careful and actual count more than a company of the Taylor family were in the army on the Union side, twenty-one of whom died or were killed in the War of the Rebellion. James Taylor was married to Miss Amanda Hatcher, of New Lexington, Ohio. Their children are Laura, wife of Judge Kelly, of Perry county; and Miss Stella, of New Lexington. TAYLOR, J. C., furniture dealer. Junction City; born near Bridge- port, Belmont county, January 21, 1840; son of Samuel A. and Hannah (Calaughan) Taylor. His mother's parents, James D. and Abagail, were from Ireland. His grandparents, John and Mary E. (Yost) Taylor, were early settlers of Belmont county, from Pennsylvania. Mr. Taylor's lot has been cast in many places; he has lived in seventeen States. At the age of two years, his father's family moved to Cincinnati, thence to Wheeling, West Virginia, Bridgeport and Grant county, Wisconsin, successively. At the age of seventeen years he began an extensive tour as a carpenter, walking from place to place through many States, and at twenty-one commenced mercantile life at Barnesville, O., as senior member of the dry goods firm of Taylor, Wilson & Co. Later he followed farming and other pursuits in that vicinity, and in August, 1873, removed to New Lexington, operating a meat and provision store until he lost it by a destructive fire, February 23, 1874. After a short stay in Zanesville, he came to Junction City, April 20, 1874. He was employed for several years in the planing mill of Bringardner & Co.; was then salesman in Brown's store, and carpenter until the spring of 1880, when he formed a partnership with H. A. Pletcher, and has since conducted a general furniture and undertaking business. He was married September 1, 1864, to Elizabeth J. Neptune, of Barnesville, daughter of William H. and Elenor (Barnes) Neptune, who emigrated to Belmont county from Loudon county, Virginia. They have had two children, Wilbur L., deceased; and William Walter. TEAL, LAWSON, Auditor's clerk, New Lexington, Ohio; born in April, 1817, in Bearfield township; son of Lloyd and Rachel (Moore) Teal. Young Teal was brought up on a farm, and began teaching when twenty-three years old, and taught ten or twelve years, and has been Auditor's clerk about fourteen years. Mr. Teal married Alice, daughter of Peter and Cynthia (Barnes) Vansickle, of Pike township. They are the parents of two children, Edward L., deceased; and Herman A. Mrs. Teal was first married to Stephen Bailey. They became the parents of three children, Orr, Joseph and Cynthia. TEAL, A. A., Rendville Ohio; was born in Bearfield township, February 28, 1841; son of Edward and Nancy (Koons) Teal. Mr. Teal was brought up on a farm. In 1861 he volunteered in Company D, Thirtieth Regiment, O. V. I., and served until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of second Bull Run, South Mountain, Antietam, Siege of Vicksburg, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. Mr. Teal was married in April, 1864, to Elizabeth A. Clayton. They are the parents of six children, namely: Edward L., Myrtle
May, Evanna Markie, Ada May, Harry Hooker, and Cora Bell. Edward L. died when eight years of age, in the State of Illinois. His first residence after marriage was in Pike township, and in 1867 he moved to the State of Illinois, where he remained nine years, and in 1876 he returned with his family to Perry county, where he did business for several insurance companies; also, sold fruit trees. TEATERS, JAMES, merchant, New Lexington, Ohio; was born May 5, 1833, in Donegal, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania; son of Michael and Margaret (Henry) Teaters, of German ancestry. In about the year 1848 he went to Point Mills, West Virginia, where he followed milling. From this place he moved to Roney's Point, and subsequently to Tridelphia, where he was railroad agent, postmaster and merchant for four years. April 12, 1870, he came to this place and established his present business. Mr. Teaters was married September 5, 1861, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Thomas and Eliza Humes. They are the parents of five children, viz.: William Elsworth, deceased; George Alden, deceased; Lizzie May, Frank Stewart, and John Henry. TEDROW, GEORGE, potter; post office, Crooksville; born in Muskingum county in 1840; came to Perry county in 1853; son of Moses and Mary (Dunifant) Tedrow. He was married, in 1875, to Miss Clara E. Rambo, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Rambo. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Blanche, Dora, Charles and Frank. TEETER, THOMAS B., Corning, Ohio; was born near Linnville, Licking county, Ohio, September 17, 1841; son of Curtis and Mary (Essford) Teeter. When at the age of ten years, he went to work in the woolen mills at Newark, Ohio, where he remained four years; then boated two years on the Ohio Canal, after which he dug coal until the 17th of April, 1861, when he enlisted in the Third Ohio three months service, and re-enlisted for three years, and was honorably discharged in the fall of 1864. He was engaged in the battles of Rich Mountain, Cheat Mountain, Green Brier, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and was captured near Cedar Bluffs, Georgia, and held as a prisoner at Belle Island, until his exchange at City Point, Virginia. When he came to Columbus, Ohio, he immediately joined in pursuit of John Morgan, in his raid through Ohio. After his capture, he went South and joined the army of the Cumberland, and marched with General Sherman as far as Kingston, Georgia. He returned to Perry county at the close of the war, and mined coal. In 1865 he went to Haydenville and worked there until the spring of 1871, when he came to Straitsville and mined one year. In December, 1872, he purchased a lot on the corner of Clark and Railroad streets, in the above town, and engaged in the grocery business, and continued there until the spring of 1881, when he came to this place. Mr. Teeter was married January 9, 1866, to Miss Nancy A. Jiles, by Rev. Cady, near New Lexington, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Ida, William J., Edward, Mary E., Samuel J. and Unis H. TERREL, JESSE, farmer, Monday Creek township, Maxville, Ohio; was born January 23, 1812, in Harrison county, West Virginia; son of Timothy and Elizabeth (Nixon) Terrel. Mr.Terrel's early life was spent in hunting, and when game became scarce he went to farming,
which he has followed to this time, and by industry and economy, has gained a handsome fortune. Mr. Terrel was married the first time, September 19, 1833, to Nancy, daughter of Ralph Webb. Mrs. Terrel died October 18, 1864. They became the parents of ten children, viz.: Benjamin G., deceased; Leroy S., deceased; Martha J., deceased; William, Isaac H., Jerome, Mary Ida, deceased; Clara, deceased; Samuel T. and Frank. He was married the second time, February 21, 1867, to Mariah, daughter of John and Mary (Long) Sykes. Mr. Terrel's grandfather; Matthew Terrel, came from England and settled in Virginia, and was Drum Major in the Revolutionary War. His son, Timothy, father of the subject of this sketch, was the sixth in number of thirteen children born unto him. Timothy came to Ohio in 1815, in search of game, and located in Monday Creek township. Mrs. (Webb) Terrel's father came to Falls township, Hocking county, Ohio, in 1817. THACKER, ORRIN, Auditor of Perry county; post office, New Lexington. THARP, ABISHA, miller, Hemlock, Ohio; was born November 25, 1855, in Perry county, Ohio; son of Alfred and Annie (Storrer) Tharp. Mr. Tharp was brought up as a miller, and has followed the business up to this time, except two years he farmed; and has been employed as stated below; Milling in Buffalo Shoals, Wayne county, West Virginia, about ten years with his father; at this place about five months, when he went to Pickaway county, Ohio, and farmed about six months; returned to Hemlock, farmed one year, and again went to milling for Benjamin Sanders, which he continued about five months, when he in partnership with Spencer S. Sanders, rented the mill and ran it for one year, since which he has milled for Spencer S. Sanders up to this time. Mr. Tharp was married December 25, 1879, to Nora Dell, daughter of Hezekiah and Sarah Frances (Leffler) Sanders, of this place. They are the parents of one child, viz.: Clarence Sebastian. THARP, JAMES M., grocer, Bristol, Pike township, Maholm post office, Ohio; was born December 10, 1857, in Bristol, this county; son of James and Elizabeth (Lyons) Tharp. Mr. Tharp remained with his father until he was eighteen years of age, when he began teaching school and has taught in the following places: Monday Creek township, District No. 5, four months; Pike township, District No. 7, two months; Pike township, District No. 8, Bristol, four terms, three six months terms, and one four months term; near Somerset, one three months term, and between the terms he taught in Bristol. Mr. Tharp's father came from Pennsylvania to Ohio when a boy with his parents, whose father entered land two miles south of this place, and near Bowman Hill iron ore mine, and afterward owned two hundred acres of land now owned by Robert Bennett, and was one of the pioneers of the forest. His son, James, and the father of the subject of this sketch, once owned one hundred and twenty acres of land where Buckingham now stands, and afterward owned fifty-three acres near this place, now owned by John McCabe. Upon selling this, he moved to Pickaway county, Ohio, where he lived one year, and then into Fairfield county, living one year, when he moved back to this place, where he has since lived. In the spring of 1882, James M. Tharp, the subject of this sketch, bought a grocery, where he is now engaged in selling family groceries.
THOMAS, SIMEON, farmer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born July 2, 1842, in Saltlick township, this county; son of Joseph and Jane (Smith) Thomas. Mr. Thomas was raised a farmer, and made agricultural pursuits the business of his life until within the last eight years. Farmed in Perry county, Ohio, with the exception of two years, when he farmed in Pickaway county, Ohio. Returned to this county in 1873, and engaged at Beard's Furnace until fall of 1876, when he came to Shawnee, and where he has remained up to this time, engaged at mining, except one year, when he assisted in building the New York Furnace. Mr. Thomas was married August 28, 1862, to Margaret M., daughter of John and Elizabeth (Worley) Wells. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Jessie M., Elizabeth Jane. and John A., deceased. Mr. Thomas is at this time a trustee of the M. E. Church of this place. Mr. Thomas enlisted in Company B, Seventeenth Regiment, O. V. I., March 12, 1861, the first company enrolled in this county for three months, and served four months; returned home and followed farming until January 12, 1864, when he re-enlisted in Company B, Tenth Regiment, O. V. C., for three years or during the war; served eighteen months, and was discharged in August, 1865, because of close of war. Was under fire nearly every day after going into the service, and saw the hardest battle at Atlanta, Georgia, where he had his horse shot from under him. Was on Sherman's March to the Sea. THOMPSON, GEORGE, was born in the county of Armagh, Ireland, August 20, 1811, and died at Corning, Ohio, May 10, 1882, aged seventy years, nine months and twenty days. The deceased came to America when only ten years old. Nearing the age of manhood, he became an apprentice to learn the harness-making trade in New York City. June 6, 1834, he was married to Catharine Skinner. Six children were born to them; three of whom now survive, viz.: Adam, married to Anne Cummiskey; she is now deceased; John, married to Mary A. Slevin, and Timothy, married to Jennie A., daughter of Colonel James and Catharine (Cook) Dalzell. George Thompson, the subject of this sketch, lost by the Morgan Raid property to the value of eight hundred dollars; also lost heavily in prospecting for oil in Perry county, Ohio. During his twenty-one years of service as Justice of the Peace, there was never one of his decisions reversed by the higher courts. In 1835 he came to Ohio, and entered eighty acres of land, and laid out the town of Thompsonville; and, in order to get a post office, the place was named Chapel Hill. He donated an acre of ground on which the Catholic Church and pastor's residence now stands, and afterward united with this church, continuing a faithful member until he departed this life. He was appointed postmaster under Pierce's administration, and his commission dated January 13, 1860, is signed by J. Holt, Postmaster- General. Having been elected Justice of the Peace for Monroe township, he was commissioned by Governor S. P. Chase, and he was continued in office until his death. TINKER, CHARLES H., Recorder of Perry county, Ohio, was born June 21, 1847, in Union township, Morgan county, Ohio; son of S. and Mary A. (Blackstone) Tinker. When Charles H. was two years old, his parents located on a farm in Monroe township, where he was brought up. He followed farming until 1875, when he engaged in merchandising
at Millertown, where he remained one year; then moved to Junction City, and continued his business there two years. Came to this place in 1879, and clerked two years in a dry goods store. He was elected to his present office in October, 1880. Mr. Tinker was married March 7, 1872, to Miss Hannah, daughter of Samuel Morgan, of Monroe township. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Frank Albert, Lydia Viola, Charles B. and William Leroy. TRACY, T. J., stone mason, Pike township; post office, New Lexington, Ohio; was born November 29, 1850, in Harrison township, this county; son of William and Elizabeth (Hitchcock) Tracy. Mr. Tracy was raised in New Lexington, Ohio, and has been a resident of that place nearly all of his life. Was married December 7, 1871, to Emma, daughter of William and Lovenia (Patterson) Rambo, of Grangers' Mills, this county. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Lizzie, Guy, John and Lovenia, now living. Mr. Tracy has made stone masoning the business of his life up to this time, and has been a contractor for the last eight years, undertaking county contracts at New Lexington, for the bridges near Arnold's Mill over Rush Creek, one near C. & M. V. depot, Rush Creek, two over Fowler's Run, and one over Yager's Run. Out of New Lexington he put in stone work for one near XX Furnace, Shawnee, Ohio; one near George Deffenbaugh's Honey Creek; one on Main street in Corning; one near Beard's Shaft, same place, and now has a contract for one over Fowler's Run at New Lexington, Ohio. Mr.Tracy is fourth sergeant in Company A, Seventeenth O. N. G., and was in the skirmish at Corning during the miner's strike in the fall of 1880. TROUT, WILLIAM, farmer and stock grazer by occupation, post office Glenford, Ohio; was born in Hopewell township; he is a son of George Trout and Francis Cowen, who were married in 1822. He and his brother, George H. Trout, occupy the ancient homestead in section three. The last named was married in 1863, to Miss Ann Maria Walser, and are the happy parents of four children, named Sarah Frances, John W., George Allen and Martha A. Trout; of these John W., now fourteen, exhibits excellent genius as a draftsman and penman. His uncle William has remained unmarried and has a large and comfortable room of his own in the family home, where he enjoys all the comforts of bachelor life, and where all welcome callers are treated to the hospitalities of a gentleman. William and George H. are the only surviving sons of George Trout. The surviving daughters are Susan, wife of Samuel Cooperider, and Margaret, wife of George Cooperider, post office of both, Brownsville, Ohio. The mother of this family died in 1852,and the father in 1860, in his sixty-second year. When twelve years of age he came with his grandfather, Judge Trout, to Somerset, Ohio. His brothers, the sons of Judge Trout, were Jacob, a soldier in the War of 1812, and went to Fort Wayne; John, who settled in Hancock county, Ohio, and laid out the village of Van Buren; Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Parkeson, who moved to Miami county, Ohio; Juliann Sophia, wife of Jacob Brunner, of Somerset; Margaret, wife of Rev. Andrew Hinkel, who with his wife died in Germantown, Montgomery county, Ohio, and who, though both a Mason and Odd Fellow, was buried by the Lutheran Church; George, the father of William and
George H. Trout, who died in Hopewell township; Henry, who lived in Somerset and vicinity and died there; Philip, who lived and died in Perry county, and Michael, the youngest, born in 1809, who resides in Germantown, and is yet a practicing physician at the age of seventy- three years. Judge George Trout, when yet a resident of Pennsylvania, was an inn keeper, as he was also after his removal to Somerset, Ohio. He was one of the first Associate Judges of Perry county, helped to lobby the bill to organize the county and to establish the county seat at Somerset, donated the ground where the court house now stands, assisted in the entertainment of General Jackson at the hotel of Ben Eaton in Somerset, was a Democrat in politics, and old time Lutheran in religion, and an honest man from principle. He died in 1829, in Somerset, universally lamented, in the sixty-seventh year of his life. His wife's maiden name was Margaret Zeigler, who survived her husband many years and died at the age of eighty-two. The relics of Judge Trout, in possession of his grandson, William Trout, in whose possession are also the records of the family, are a cane, the gift of a friend on his departure from Pennsylvania for Ohio; a pair of old time shoe buckles, worn by the Judge at the Jackson supper; a profile likeness, said to be a good representation of the forehead, nose, mouth and chin of the Judge, black upon white paper, framed in a circular frame about four inches in diameter. The name Sophia came into the family from the Zeigler side, based upon a legend that Sophia, a sister of Mrs. Trout, in the haste and confusion of retreat from hostile Indians, somewhere in Carolina, was forgotten, and when her father returned to her rescue, he found her hiding behind a door of the cabin, crouching with great fear and mute as a mouse, and she was thus saved from the massacre that drenched the village near by in the blood of innocence. The Trout family fled from Alsace when it fell into the power of the French to avoid submission to the demands of intolerance upon its Lutheran citizens, preferring liberty in the wilds of far off America to home and country and kindred, and patrimony in France. An ancient mound, covering nearly an acre at its base, and rising to a height of perhaps twenty-five feet, is found on the Trout farm, section three, Hopewell. and a like mound is seen half a mile southwest of the first named, in section nine. In size, regularity of shape, and beauty of contour, these mounds present an imposing aspect to the eye and the questions arise, were they created from natural forces, or by the hands of men? For twenty odd years the Trout brothers have devoted themselves to the rearing of the best breeds of sheep. They breed from none now that do not bear the test of U. S. sheep register and they are consequently in the front ranks of sheep husbandry and they have added one hundred and fifty-seven acres to the original homestead range for their flocks in Licking and Perry. TURNER, FRANK N., merchant, Rendville, Ohio; was born September 30, 1852, in Port Carbon, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania; son of Jesse and Ruth T. (Foster) Turner. Mr. Turner was raised in the place of his nativity, which remained his home until 1880. Mr. Turner attended school at Blair Presbyterian Academy, Blairstown, New Jersey, from which he graduated; after which, in June, 1873, he entered Lafayette College at Easton, Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in
1877. In the fall of 1877 he entered Princeton Theological Seminary. remaining until 1878, at which time his health failed him and he was obliged to leave off his studies, and return home where he remained until 1880, when he went to Kansas, from whence he came to Rendville. Ohio, in September of same year, and employed with the Sunday Creek Coal Company, remaining with them until April. 1881. He afterward bought out Charles Herring, of the firm of Carter & Herring. and upon May 1, 1881, he formed a co-partnership with Charles Carter the firm being Carter & Turner, which partnership continues up to this time, and has met with good success. Mr. Carter's father still resides upon the homestead in Pennsylvania. TURNER, JOSEPH, mine boss, New Straitsville, Ohio. TUSSING, L. A., of the firm of Tussing & Donaldson. attorneys at law, and Mayor, New Lexington, Ohio; was born January 2, 1851, in Monday Creek township, Perry county, Ohio; son of Rev. Samuel C. and Juliet (Marlow) Tussing. Mayor Tussing was educated in the public schools, and at Denison University, Granville, Ohio. Began teaching when about eighteen and taught six years; began reading law in 1876, was admitted to the bar in 1877, and began practice in this place immediately after his admission. In June, 1878 he formed a partnership with L. J. Burgess, firm name Burgess & Tussing. which was dissolved September, 1880, when the present firm was formed. In April of the same year, Mr. Tussing was elected Mayor of New Lexington, Ohio.