HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "R"
RAMBO, WILLIAM, blacksmith; Pike township, post office, New Lexington, Ohio, was born January 8, 1812, in Muskingum county, Ohio. Is a son of George and Mary (Fist) Rambo, formerly of Pennsylvania. Mr. Rambo went to the trade of blacksmithing with William Calvin, of his native county, in 1825, serving an apprenticeship of five years, and
has made this the business of his life up to the present time. He went as a soldier in the late war and was engaged in the battles of Bull Run, South Mountain Gap, and Antietam, participating also in several hard marches, which so disabled him that he was discharged and returned home, January 29, 1863; having served from January 2, 1861. The Crooks of Zanesville, some of the first settlers, were near relatives of Mrs. Rambo. Mr. Rambo was united in matrimony to Lovenia, daughter of Samuel and Isabelle (Neal) Patterson, of Virginia, March 3, 1832. They are the parents of six living children, viz.: Austin, Josiah, Elizabeth, Martha, Emma and Amanda, and three deceased, George Nelson, Mary Edmonday and Belinda. Mr. Rambo's grandchild, William Rambo, was raised by them, and is now about eighteen years old. RANDOLPH, ISAIAH, deceased; born in Pennsylvania in 1812. Married in 1850 to Miss Maria Ankrom, daughter of John and Nancy (Rinehart) Ankrom. They were the parents of five children, viz.: Angeline, Creighton, Everett, Lizzie N. and Albert, three of whom are married. The subject of this sketch died in 1878. His widow still lives on the home farm, enjoying the fruits of his early industry. Her son Everett was married in 1878 to Miss Susie Clayton. They have two children. RANDOLPH, PAUL, was born 1827, in Clayton township. His father, John Randolph, came from Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. He was a carpenter by trade. Paul is a farmer, stock raiser and carries on coal mining. He was married in 1850 to Mary Barker, daughter of Samuel Barker. His sons, Thomas T. and Perry D., Lyman Jackson, Edwin M., Frank M. and Samuel C., are all single and living at home. His daughters, Eliza J. and Rosa B., also are single and reside at home. Paul began life poor; bought twenty-five acres of land, paid for it, and by farming, teaming, threshing, stock raising and coal mining, has now four hundred and ten acres of land, city and other property. His example is that which may be held up for the emulation of the rising generation. His property is clear of mortgages; he never sued but once, for a horse that did not fill the bill, but no trial was had, Paul considering it better to pay than to litigate. He is a Methodist in religion and a Republican in politics. He thinks the credit business, except on land purchases, to be a curse rather than a blessing. RANDOLPH, L. H., merchant; Clayton township, post office, Rehoboth; born in this county in 1848, son of William and Anna (McElhany) Randolph, grandson of Joseph and Elizabeth (North) Randolph. Married in 1873 to Miss M. E. Teal, daughter of Ephriam and Elizabeth (Brown) Teal. They have one child, Minnie D. RARICK, SIMON, was born 1838, in Perry county, Ohio; was reared and bred and still remains a farmer; the son of Peter Rarick, late of Thorn township. His mother's maiden name was Lydia Weimer, sister of John, a former auditor of Perry county. His grandfather was also Peter Rarick, who was among the earliest and bravest of the pioneers. Peter, the father of Simon, died in 1880, in his seventy- eighth year, and his mother, many years prior to that date. The brothers of Simon are John and Peter, Thornville post office, and his sister is Elizabeth, wife of John C. King, whose dwelling is at Glenford
Station. In October, 1863, Simon Rarick became the husband of Miss Eliza, daughter of Samuel and sister of Bernard Mechling, and soon moved to the delightful home they now occupy, overlooking the valley near Glenford, comprising a commodious dwelling, one hundred acres of land and other improvements. To this has since been added one hundred and forty-five acres in section twenty-one, Hopewell.. He and his wife are Lutheran in religion, both disposed to dispense the most kindly hospitality at their home, and they are blessed with two sons, Murray and Maurice, who are drilled at home in the German language. They are both descendants of old-time, pioneer families, and ambitious to sustain the honorable record of those families achieved in the past. RAYBOULD, SAMUEL, butcher, New Straitsville, Ohio; was born August 30, 1849, in Upper Gornal, Staffordshire, England, son of William and Hannah (Frier) Raybold. When Samuel was five years of age his father moved to Lower Gornal, where they remained until he was fourteen years of age, when they moved to Lye Waste, Worcestershire, where his folks still live. After remaining at Lye Waste about four years, Samuel went to Spinnemore, county of Durham, where he remained about one year, when he returned home and stayed about eighteen months, when he emigrated to America, setting sail at Liverpool, and landing in New York, August, 1869, from where he went to Bartley, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and traveled as follows: going to Stoneborough, Pennsylvania, Irish Town, Pennsylvania, remaining only a short time at each of the above named places, engaged in mining. From here he went to St. Louis, Missouri, Murphysboro, Illinois, and returned to Stoneborough, Pennsylvania, to see his father, who came to America to visit his sons. From there he went to Nelsonville, Athens county, Ohio, where he bought an interest in a coal mine, remained one year, sold out, and went to Logan, Ohio, where he was married August 19, 1872, to Miss Anna Siddle, born 1849 in Willington, county of Durham, England. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Samuel, deceased, Emma, Nettie, deceased, and Nettie, now living. After his marriage he came direct to this place, where he built himself a house and lived until 1874, the time of the great miners' strike, when he, leaving his family here, went to Charleston, West Virginia, returned here and went to Brazil, Indiana, and again to St. Louis. Missouri, where his family joined him, and where he remained as foreman of a coal yard for C. Rinecke, at 1700 Clark avenue, for some four years, after which he was foreman of the St. Louis Water Works one year, when he returned to this place and engaged in butchering for about three years. He is now proprietor of the I. 0. 0. F, opera house, this city. REAM, TOBIAS, born 1800, in the county of Somerset, Pennsylvania; son of Christian Ream, who came to Perry county in 1803, and whose wife was Margaret Glessner. His children were John, Jacob, Christian, Solomon, Henry, Tobias and one daughter, Margaret, deceased, who was the wife of Jabez Skinner. They were the parents of John O. Skinner, the famous sign and ornamental painter. Tobias married Mary M. Lidey, sister of the General John Lidey, of Perry. They purchased the ancient homestead, and this famous place is now the property of
Daniel C., single, and his brother David, who married Miss Missouri. daughter of Asberry Elder, subject to the life estate of their mother, yet living, whose father was Daniel Lidey, and whose mother was Eve Cramer. Her brothers, the uncles of Mrs. Ream, were George and Daniel Cramer, and their sisters were Elizabeth Rush, Rachel Arnold and Mary Cramer. The name of Ream is linked to the early struggles of the new settlement, and that of Lidey is not only thus linked, also, but is found among the framers of the present Constitution of Ohio. REAM, S. K., born in 1827, the youngest son of Samuel, Sr., and wife, whose maiden name was Rachel King. This estimable woman was a sister of the late Judge Thomas King, first Representative of Perry county in the Ohio Legislature, the father of no children; but from a Miss Skinner, who was one of his adopted children, it is recorded that he and his motherly wife, reared, educated and sent out into the world eleven orphans, each of whom got a share of the King estate, or was assisted in life's start by the venerable Thomas King and his wife. These two childless, Old School Baptist Christians were of the genuine nobility. The father of S. K. Ream came to Ohio as a prospector, as early as 1801. Two brothers, uncles of S. K. Ream, whose names appear to the church organization papers of Zion Church, in Thorn township, in 1805, died there, but no descendant of either now lives in Perry county, save one daughter, the wife of Philip Crist. Toby Ream and his family are in some way connected with Samuel Ream, Sr., but exactly how is not known. The Reams of Fairfield, George, and his sons, Daniel and Abraham, were also distantly connected. As early as 1807 or 1808, Samuel Ream pursued a trail, on horse back, to Marietta, Ohio, solely to introduce into Perry county the first grafted apples and peaches. This happened nine or ten years before Perry county was erected, and eighteen or nineteen years prior to the birth of S. K. Ream, who inherited the homestead in Madison township, where all the latter's children were born, where both his parents died, and where the associations of youth and the memories of after life, up to 1882, are left to linger in the memories of the past. Mr. S. K. Ream had beautified his birthplace with elegant buildings, while his wife had added the attractions of flowers and evergreens, only secondary to a home, where her own presence was the chief delight of its inmates. By death and will of his brother, David Ream, who died childless, the not less attractive adjoining homestead on the pike, became the property of S. K. Ream, but to the faithful female servants, whose hands had kindly smoothed his tottering steps to the brink of the grave, "Uncle Davy," as every body delighted to call him, left a handsome allowance, and thus, in his last acts, vindicated a life time of honorable deeds. David Ream was a Baptist in belief, sincere and unassuming in his demeanor; a Whig and a Republican in politics, and the most conclusive proof of his popularity consists in the fact that he was elected County Commis- sioner on the Republican ticket, in a county then largely Democratic. The office sought him; he never sought any office. The other brothers of S. K. Ream, besides David, were William Ream, late of this county, a stock dealer and farmer of distinguished success, and enviable prominence as a citizen, and whose sons are still citizens of Perry county
and Andrew, the oldest, deceased long since, and lamented by all, not only because of his beneficent nature, but because the self-controlling forces of that nature were not at all times equal to the temptations thrown against it by his business as a distiller of liquors. The wife of S. K. Ream was Miss Maria Richey, daughter of the Hon. Thomas Richey, late of this county. The children of S. K. and Maria Ream, are Edward, a hardware merchant, Somerset, Ohio; Paul, a grocer, and Miss Maria and Robert, who, with Paul, reside with their parents in Van Wert, Ohio, since the spring of 1882. The Northwestern part of Ohio, included within the valley of the Great Maumee, presented to the mind of Mr. Ream attractions for capital so superior, as to induce him to add to the proceeds of the sale of his delightful homestead, in Perry county, the large capital theretofore possessed, and move to Van Wert, Ohio, leaving the farm, obtained from his brother David, by will, in the hands of a careful tenant, and the mansion, in part, to the servants of his brother, where they enjoy the favor of the grateful legatee, as they formerly enjoyed that of the benevolent and just testator, who, by virtue of militia commission, was known as Colonel David Ream. The neatness of the grounds fronting his dwelling, and the general good order of his farm, characteristic of the Ream family, evinced the thrift, the cultivated taste and industry for which his brothers are also distinguished;---traits also, which have descended to their sons. REAM, DAVID, JR., farmer; born December 31, 1827; son of William and Eliza (McClure) Ream and is of German-Scotch and Irish extraction; a grandson of Samuel Ream. In 1851, April 8th, he was married to Miss Cass Ann, daughter of the late William Williams and his wife, whose maiden name was Mary Wright. David became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at the age of fourteen, under the administration of Rev. E. Muchner and Rev. Joseph Carper, and to this day maintains his connection with the same church. From him is obtained the very interesting particulars relating to the organization of Zion Church. His taxes have grown from $17 up to an average of $250 per annum. The children of this marriage, are Albert, husband of Sarah, the daughter of James Wilson, postoffice, Somerset, Ohio; William W., husband of Miss Mary Guy, daughter of Luther Guy, post office, Sego; Ida, wife of Joseph Hough, post office, Fultonham, Ohio; Miss Emma C., Thomas Wright, Maggie Rachel, and David. Those deceased are Harriet and Clara, each less than a year old at death; Mary and Nora in their fifth year, and Emma C., who was fourteen, and who, prior to her sickness, had became a dutiful member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Though the mother of twelve children, and grief stricken by the death of five of them. Mrs. Ream preserves that peerless glow of health and native cheerfulness which survives earthly sorrow, and clings with the freshness of youth to the consolations of time and the hopes beyond. David Ream, though a Methodist in belief, entertains a sentiment of charity which embraces those of other creeds, and exhibits a hospitality which welcomes them to his home, and to his benefactions. REAM, SAMUEL, son of the late venerable William Ream, a successful farmer and cattle dealer. The maiden name of Samuel's mother
was Eliza McClure. Her children were David, Samuel, William M. and John Ream. Samuel was married in 1859, to Miss Sarah E., daughter of the late Judge William M. Brown, of Perry county, and grand-daughter of Thomas McNaughten, of Fairfield county. She died in 1881, in Somerset, Ohio. leaving two sons, Owen B. and Luke S. Ream. She was a lady universally esteemed, and inherited all the amiable qualities of her honored ancestry. Her husband, Samuel Ream, began life for himself in 1855, on a capital of $3,500. He ranks among the most successful business men of his county, and is supposed to be worth, in real estate and personal property, not far from $100,000. He deals in cattle, lands, stocks and mineral deposits, carries on the famous mills at Somerset, in connection with Noah Karr, late Treasurer of the county, and has built one of the very finest residences in Somerset, famous alike for its beauty, its architectural taste and its comfort. REESE, THOMAS P., collier, Shawnee, Ohio, was born August 12, 1830, in Pembrakeshire, South Wales, son of Peter and Dana (Williams) Reese. When he was ten years of age he was employed on the public works at Myrtha Tydvil, Glamorganshire, where he was engaged until 1863, and in August 22, set sail from Liverpool for New York, landing after forty-five days' sailing. After reaching New York he started for Pomeroy, Ohio, going via Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Wheeling, Virginia, and upon reaching Parkersburg, Virginia, he was obliged to remain nine days, on account of the river not being navigable. At this time he purchased an old boat and boated his way down the river to his place of destination, reaching it in October, where he remained until August 24, 1871, engaged in mining, and has been engaged at the following places: From Pomeroy, Ohio, to Syracuse, Ohio, remaining until November, 18, 184; at Zaleski, Vinton county, Ohio, about two years and nine months, when he moved to Shawnee, where he now lives and is engaged as a miner at the Shawnee Valley mine. Was married December 31, 1853. to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Samuel and Mary Lewis, of Monmouthshire, England. They are the parents of seven living children, viz.: Mary Ann, Thomas, David, John, Sarah. Willie and Ellen, and four children deceased, viz.: William, William, Elizabeth and one died in infancy. Mr. Reese owns his own property, a neat frame dwelling, where he now lives. REESE, ROGER G., overman and time keeper at New York Furnace, Shawnee, Ohio; was born March 30, 1850, in Gwaencaegurwen, Glamorganshire Wales, son of David and Mary (Reese) Reese. Was raised a collier, beginning at the age of twelve years, and followed it until October, 1876. Mr. Reese came to this country in 1869, leaving Liverpool January 13, and landing in New York January 31, from whence he went to Minersville, Meigs county, Ohio, engaging as a miner, with V. B. Horton, until August, 1872, when he came to Shawnee, where he mined with the Newark Coal and Iron Company up to October, 1876, when he became weighmaster for that company, holding that position until September, 1878, and then took charge of the burning of iron ore for the New York and Straitsville Coal and Iron Company, and soon after assumed his present duties, having charge of all the laboring men, keeping their time, etc. Mr. Reese is a Royal
Arch Mason, and is at present Chancellor Commander of the Knights of Pythias, of Shawnee, Ohio. REI, PHILIP, of the firm of Rei & Rickett, undertakers, Rendville, Ohio, was born December 22, 1842, in Columbiana county, Ohio, son of Joseph and Ann (Rehart) Rei. Mr. Rei was brought up on a farm and volunteered in May, 1861, in the 17th Ohio Regiment; after serving three months he re-enlisted in the 9th Ohio Calvary and served three years. He was engaged in the battles of Knoxville, Decatur, Atlanta, followed John Morgan through Kentucky and was with General Sherman on his march to the sea. Mr. Rei was married October 4th, 1872, to Cecelia Bennett, daughter of George and Ann Bennett. of Bearfield township, Perry county, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, namely: Annie M., George, Ella, Joseph F., Lizzie and Thomas R. Mr. Rei efficiently fills the office of trustee of Monroe township at this time, and has held the same office a number of terms. RETALLIC, JAMES D., of the firm of Cochran & Retallic, attorneys- at-law. New Lexington, Ohio, was born March 17, 1851, in Pike township; son of Francis and Catharine (Fealty) Retallic. At the age of seventeen he went to the stone cutting trade which he followed until he was twenty-three, when he began reading law with Colonel Lyman J. Jackson, of this place, and was admitted to practice August 16, 1876. Mr. Retallic was married October 31, 1876, to Miss Maggie A., daughter of Timothy and Mary Laven. They are the parents of one child. Mary K. RICHARDS, WILLIAM, mine boss, Shawnee, Ohio; was born March 22, 1836, in Rasay, Brecknockshire. Wales; son of David and Sarah (Prosser) Richards. Mr. Richards was raised in Rasay, and remained in that place until 1852, when he emigrated to America with his father's family, landing in New York, August 4th, from where they went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and thence to McKeesport, Pennsylvania, where they lived about five or six years, engaged in mining. From here they went to Johnstown. Pennsylvania, where he remained about two years, and then engaged in business for himself, going to Brookfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, where he remained about five years, mining; and next was employed by D. C. Christy, of Coshocton, Ohio, as clerk in store one year; and then opened what is known as the Miami Coal Mine, for Christy, Spangler & Co., of Coshocton, Ohio, and remained as mine boss with them until 1871, at which time he came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he is engaged as mine boss at the Fannie Furnace mine, which position he has held since the first opening of this mine, except the first year, when it was run by contract, taken by a company of twelve persons, of which he was a member. He has been a resident of Shawnee almost from its beginning. Was married September 4, 1858, to Miss Mary Ann, daughter of David and Catharine Thomas, of McKeesport, Pennsylvania. They are the parents of nine children, viz.: David R., William John, James Alfred, Thomas Edmund, Mamie, Celia, Charlie, Elizabeth, deceased, and Charles Benjamin, deceased. Mr. Richards is Past Grand of the Kincaid Lodge. I. 0. 0. F., of Shawnee, Ohio. RICHARDS, ALVA, M. D., New Lexington, Ohio: was born March
16, 1841, in Muskingum county, Ohio, where he was brought up on a farm, until the age of seventeen, when he began the study of medicine with Dr. Reamy, now Professor in Ohio Medical College. He graduated at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, in the spring of 1862, and immediately thereafter began practice at this place. In the fall of the same year, the Doctor was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the One Hundred and Twenty-second Regiment, O. V. I. After serving in this capacity two years, he was commissioned Surgeon of the One Hundred and twenty-sixth Regiment, O. V. I., and served until the close of the war, when he resumed his practice in this place. Dr. Richards was married November 1, 1866, to Miss Catharine, daughter of Hon. R. E. Huston. His mother's maiden name was Sarah Ann Comly. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Robert Lewis, Clarence Comly, and Hazel Elizabeth. RICHEY, GENERAL THOMAS, deceased. He was a member of Congress when he secured a cadetship for Phil. Sheridan. The General must have lived till after the famous ride of Sheridan, in whose success he was ever most paternally enlisted, calling Sheridan "my boy," The first news from Cedar Creek was bad, and no one mourned the situation more sincerely than old General Tom. Richey; but imagine his joy when the next day's news brought tidings of Phil's final victory, having snatched the stars and stripes from the disaster of the onset by a rally of troops already on the retreat, turned defeat into victory, and added a new chapter to the annals of warfare; a chapter which relates what was never done before, the achievement of victory in the evening, with troops defeated, demoralized and in full retreat in the morning of the same day. Richey rejoiced, as if it were his own victory, and a final vindication of the sagacity which sent the son of an humble Irish constituent to achieve it. "They can't whip that boy of mine," he would exclaim, as he rode with all haste from the post office to his rural home, answering his neighbors without halting his panting steed: "I put Sheridan in the army; Lincoln promotes, and the whole world admires him." The father of General Thomas, was James Richey, who came to Ohio as a settler in 1815. His mother, and the mother of Gideon, the only brother now left in Perry, was Elizabeth Wilson, sister of Thomas Wilson, who died near West Rushville, and whose father and brothers came to Fairfield county in 1800. Her mother was Hester Fickle, of Scotch descent. The grandfather of Thomas and Gideon Richey, was also named James, whose brothers were John, Gideon and Thomas, all bachelors, and George who was married. The only sister was Jane Richey, who nursed Gideon and Thomas, when children. She died a maid. Therefore, of the five sons of grandfather Richey, who was a native of Ireland, and his Irish wife, only George and James, ever married; and the only daughter, Jane, lives unmarried. It is said, on the authority of Gideon, that James, his father, was born on the day his grandmother landed in Baltimore, about the year 1757, and as near as can be reckoned, grandfather Richey was born in Ireland, 1732, the same year that Washington was born in America. Hence the reader may perceive it was the son of one Irishman that aided the son of another Irishman to a cadetship at West Point. All the Richey family were left in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, when in 1815, James, alone
came to Madison township. Perry county---then Muskingum---and settled on the farm which some years before had been selected by the mother of General Richey, on her last visit on horseback from Penn- sylvania to her father, William Wilson, then in Fairfield, carrying Gidion in her arms. This must have been in 1807, as Gideon was born November 28, 1806. Grandfather William Wilson, gave to each of his nine sons and daughters, one hundred and sixty acres of land; and Rachel, the wife of James Richey, and mother of Thomas and Gideon, selected her own farm, now occupied by Thomas Williams in Madison township. This grandfather, William Wilson, traveled on foot with his faithful rifle on his shoulder, and his dog by his side, while grandmother Wilson rode horseback, carrying her infant and spinning wheel from Maryland into Pennsylvania, through dense forests. The children of grandfather, James Richey and his wife, Rachel Wilson, in order of birth, were: Mary, wife of Nathan Melick; Gen. Thomas Richey, whose wife was Henrietta Clemm; Elizabeth, wife of Robert Wilson; Jane, wife of Thomas Spencer; Gideon, whose first wife was Jane A. Spencer, sister of Captain William, by whom he became father of four daughters and one son, James Richey, now of Somerset, and whose second wife is Rachel Croskrey, by whom there are four daughters and one son, Frank Richey, yet single. Next to Gideon was William Wilson Richey, husband Of Mary Coulson, and who died near Rushville, leaving two sons and three daughters; Colonel John Richey, a former State Senator of this district, now of Omaha, Nebraska, and husband of Elizabeth Ream, who is the mother of two sons and four daughters, one of whom is the wife of Hon. Mr. Taft., M. C.; next were James Richey and Rebecca, twins---the former now a farmer near Stewartsville, Missouri, the latter, widow of the late and much lamented Martin Berkey; and last, George Richey, who, when last heard of, was in Colorado. He has but one child living. General Thomas Richey was a farmer, and a man of no ordinary mind. Kind, generous and hospitable, he was loved by his friends, and rose to distinction as a military officer in the State militia of his time; was for many years Treasurer of Perry county, and served two terms in the Congress of the United States, being elected the last time in 1852. In 1854, he broke his connection with the Democratic party, and died a supporter of Lincoln's administration. His children were: Mahala. wife of Dr. Andrew McElwee, deceased; Caroline, wife of John McNutt, deceased; Louisa, wife of Dr. S. Adams, deceased; Maria, wife of S. K. Ream, of Van Wert, Ohio; Dr. James Richey, of Stewardsville, Missouri; Henrietta, wife of Mr. Robinson, of Greenfield, Ohio; and Captain George Richey, who served in that rank in the war of 1861, and whose post office is Stewardsville, Missouri, whither he removed after the peace of Appomattox. General Richey owed much of his physical and intellectual vigor to his mother, who was a heroine in rural life, ready with a remedy for man or beast in sickness; and Gideon says, "Castile soap and vinegar, simmered to oil, was mother's favorite poultice for all sores and wounds." Confidence in parents and honesty, were the patrimony of the boys. RICHTER, CHARLES W., farmer and stock dealer. Monroe township; post office. Corning, Ohio; was born April 13, 1845, in Monroe
township; son of John and Catharine (Cuckerly) Richter. His father was a native of Maryland, but became one of the pioneers of Ohio. Charles W. was married January 4, 1872, to Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Catharine (Smith) Rodgers, of Monroe township. RICKET, ABEL, farmer, who has also worked at some of the mechanical trades; post office, Moxahala, Pleasant township, Perry county, Ohio; was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1820; son of John and Sarah (Clark) Picket. His father was of German, his mother of Welsh and Irish descent. Began work with a millwright when fifteen; remained with him one year, and then worked at house carpentering until nineteen, in Carroll county. At twenty he came to Pleasant township, engaged in teaching school two years, then followed the carpenter trade about seven years, and next worked in a machine shop in Morgan county. He moved to Morgan county in 1830; returned and located on the farm where he now resides, but continued to work at his trade until the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted in the 30th O. V. I., Company D, and remained in the service three years. He participated in all the battles the regiment was engaged in until he left it. After the war closed he devoted most of his time to the management of his farm. February 24, 1842, he married Harriet Ellison. She was of New England ancestry. She died five months after their marriage. In October, 1843, he married Rachel Minshel. Their children are Ezra E., married; Sarah F., married; Harriet, died in infancy; Mary E., married; Emma, Walter S., married; Enoch H., Albert, deceased; Charles W., and Bell. RICKET, EZRA E., carpenter and undertaker, post office, Rendville, Ohio; was born July 13, 1844, in Oakfield, Perry county, Ohio; son of Abel and Rachel Picket. Abel Ricket was a native of Washington county, Penn. Ezra E. was brought up on a farm. August 12, 1862, he enlisted in Company H, 90th O. V. I., and was discharged June 23, 1865. He followed the fortunes of General Sherman's army in fifteen general engagements, without being seriously wounded. At the battle in front of Kenesaw Mountain he had the skin cut across the backpart of his neck by a ball from a sharp-shooter. On his return from the army he engaged at carpenter work, which he has followed to the present time. He established his present business in this place in January, 1881. Mr. Ricket was first married March 15, 1866, to Miss Rachel, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Straight) Green. They became the parents of five children, viz.: Mary Ellen, Annie, Charles C., Samuel T., and Leo Parker. Mr. Picket's second wife was Ettie, daughter of William and Maria (Tharp) Berry. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Albert D. and Laura Bell. RICKETTS, DANIEL, minister of the Gospel and farmer, post office, McCuneville, Monday Creek township, Ohio; was born December 28, 1812, in Randolph county, Virginia; son of Ignatius and Margaret (Poling) Ricketts, both of Maryland. Mr. Ricketts was brought up on a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits up to this time. Mr. Ricketts came to Ohio with his father in the fall of 1816, who lived, during that winter, near Dresden, Ohio, on Wakatomika Creek. The next spring (1817) they moved to near Bremen, Ohio, where they lived some two years, in both Fairfield and Perry counties. At that time
they moved to the sixteenth section of Jackson township, Perry county, where Daniel, the subject of this sketch, lived until he was thirty-three years of age, when he moved to the twelfth section of Monday Creek township, where he had bought eighty acres of land the previous year, and where he has since lived; he was obliged to labor, the first year after his marriage, to get sufficient goods to set up housekeeping. Upon coming to this farm there were fifteen acres cleared, the remainder he cleared up himself; and it took him thirteen years to pay a balance of three hundred dollars he owed on the farm. After this he purchased as follows: 40 acres in this township, first section, for $450, about the year 1850; 120 acres in Saltlick township, for $1,500, in 1852; 60 acres for $700, in 1854; 110 acres for $2,300, in Monday Creek township, about 1858 or 1860; 40 acres for $570; 40 acres for $700; 52 1/2 acres in Jackson township, of which he inherited two-fifths and took the three-fifths at the appraised valuation of $1,000; 20 acres for $400, about 1865; 50 acres for $1,000, in 1866; 126 acres for $3,000, about 1867; 159 acres in Hocking county, Ohio, southwest of Logan, for $4,500 cash, in 1875; a house and lot in New Straitsville, Ohio, for $500, about the same as cash, and at this time owns 539 acres in all. The most of his land is near and adjoining the first 80 acres that he bought. Considering the mineral wealth, this land is worth $100 per acre. Mr. Ricketts has given $450 to each of twelve families starting in life, and has assisted in building all the churches in the vicinity where he lives. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in his sixteenth year, and from his twenty-second to his twenty-seventh year was class leader. Was licensed to exhort by Rev. James Gurley, and afterwards to preach by the Rev. M. C. Kellogg, both of the Ohio Conference. Continued as local preacher twelve years, when he entered the traveling connection, in 1852, and has filled the following appointments: Mt. Pleasant circuit, one year; Nelsonville circuit, one year; Logan circuit, six months; Nelsonville again, over one year; New Baltimore, one year; Fairview circuit, two years; Amesville circuit, one year; again Nelsonville circuit, one year; again to Amesville circuit, one year; Plymouth circuit, two years; again at Fairview, two years; again at Plymouth, one year; Maxville circuit, his home, one year; one year did not travel; Deavertown circuit, two years; New Plymouth, Hocking county, one year; Straitsville circuit, two years, and built the two churches, one in Straitsville and one in Shawnee; again Mt. Pleasant, one year; again without a charge one year; again New Plymouth, one year; again without a charge one year; east end of Straitsville circuit, two years; Asbury circuit, Muskingum county; and this year at home, now Junction City circuit. In this work he probably has taken into membership of the church from 3,000 to 4,000 persons. Mr. Ricketts was married January 31, 1833, to Lucy, daughter of Conrad and Lydia (Wicks) Wickiser. They are the parents of ten children now living, viz.: Benjamin, who has been class leader in church some ten or twelve years; Jacob W., a local preacher; Francis Asbury, William Cochran, a local preacher; Matilda, James S., a traveling preacher; Samuel B.. a traveling preacher; Thomas M., a traveling preacher; Sophia Jane, Cyrus B.; six deceased, two of whom lived to manhood, John W., who was licensed to exhort, and Daniel W.; four died in childhood. Stephen
Hamilton, Lydia, Levi Bartlett, and an infant. Six of his sons were in the army during the late Rebellion---three in the three years' service; John W., who died in the army; Francis A. and William C.; and three in the one hundred days' service, Benjamin, Jacob W., and James. He also had two sons-in-law in the army; one, William A. Murphey, in the three years' service, and one. William Terrell, in the hundred days' service. Mr. Ricketts has been a very successful minister, and all of his children, who lived to manhood and womanhood, were converted from nine years to fifteen years of age. He certainly has brought up a remarkably useful family, both in the service of the church and of their country. They truly have proved to be an exemplary family. RIDENOUR, J. M., school teacher, post office, Maxville, Ohio; was born April 15, 1854, in Jackson township, Perry county, Ohio; son of Michael and Salome (Wolf) Ridenour. Mr. Ridenour was brought up on a farm until he was seventeen years of age, when he went to New Lexington and learned the baker and confectioner trade, after which he worked at that business in New Straitsville, Ohio. At twenty-one years of age he taught school at Junction City. In his twenty-second year he attended high school in Logan, Ohio, after which he resumed the teacher's occupation, which he has followed ever since. Was married April 15, 1879, to Alice, daughter of Eli and Sarah A. (Ashbaugh) Bell. They have one child, Samuel Winfield. Mr. Ridenour came to Monday Creek township in 1860, and located in Maxville, Ohio. Was elected assessor in 1881, and re-elected in 1882. RINEHART, JESSE, was born November 26, 1806, in Greene county, Pennsylvania; son of Simon and Ann (Wise) Rinehart. He was brought up on a farm and followed farming all his life. He came to Ohio in 1832 with his father, who bought eighty acres of land where Abraham Park now lives, and also owned eighty acres that he afterward bought, now joining the Hillis farm, and also owned by A. Parks, but lived on the first eighty acres that he bought up to the time of his death, which occurred January 1, 1853. In 1832 Mr. Rinehart, the subject of this sketch, went into business for himself, buying one hundred acres where his family still lives, and adjoining the first eighty acres owned by his father, and afterward bought forty acres now owned by Simon Keener, and twenty acres now owned by Mary Fickle. There were only ten of the one hundred acres cleared when he bought it, and he cleared the other ninety acres and supplanted the log house by a neat frame dwelling, in which he lived up to the time of his death, March 1, 1880. Mr. Rinehart was married the first time in 1832 to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Solomon and Ann Hoge. They became the parents of two children, viz.: Mary Ann and Nancy, living, and three deceased, one infant son, Solomon and Simon. Elizabeth, wife of Jesse Rinehart, died September 20, 1845. Mr. Rinehart was married the second time, April 8, 1849, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel and Louisa (Scott) Short. Mrs. Rinehart was born October 14, 1824, in Delaware, and came to Ohio in 1840 with her parents, who settled in New Lexington, Ohio, and lived in this county about eighteen months, when they moved to Muskingum county, Ohio, where they lived about four years and returned to this township, where she was married. By his
last marriage he was blessed with eleven children, viz.: Louilln, deceased; Dollie, Jesse, deceased; Charlie Winget, Allie Jackson, Sarah Florence, two infant sons, twins, deceased; Todd, deceased; Nathaniel and Horace. RINKER, WESLEY, engineer, Pike township, New Lexington, Ohio; was born February 30, 1831, in Perry county, Ohio; son of William and Sarah (Chillcoat) Rinker. Mr. Rinker was raised an engineer and has made this the principal business of his life. He was married in April, 1856, to Mary J., daughter of Jefferson and Jane (Bell) Hitchcock, of his native county. They are the parents of eight children, now living, viz.: Elizabeth, Benjamin. Caleb F., John, Mary E., Sarah, Samuel and Jennie Bell. Mr. Rinker has been a resident of this county all his life, with the exception of two years he spent in Hocking county, Ohio, running a saw mill, and has been a resident of New Lex- ington for about twenty years, past fourteen years of this time he ran an engine at Arnold's mill. He now owns eight lots in Bastian's addition. upon one of which he has built a good dwelling, where he now lives. He also owns sixteen acres near the fair ground. Thus he is situated to enjoy life. RISSLER, EDWARD T.,of the firm of Huston & Rissler, druggists, New Lexington, Ohio, was born January 3, 1831, in Richland township, Fairfield county, Ohio; son of Thomas and Margery (Daily) Rissler, of English ancestry, Edward T. was brought up and remained on the farm until 1866. He followed teaching school in the winter and farming in the summer for about eighteen years. In 1865 Mr. R. located in Reading township, this county, and came to this place in January, 1876, when the present firm was formed. Mr. Rissler was Auditor of the county in 1871, and re-elected in 1873. Mr. Rissler was married April 14, 1865, to Miss Kate A., daughter of Samuel and Emily (Keys) Barbee. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Thomas Charles and E. Ross. RISSLER, THOMAS J., hardware merchant and agricultural implements; born 1835, in Richland township, Fairfield county Ohio, residence, Thornville, Ohio; son of Thomas Rissler, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to Ohio at an early day, and died in 1870 in his seventy-ninth year. His first wife died leaving four children, viz.: Mary, wife of L. M. Wilson, Oceola, Iowa; William, Greenup, Illinois; John, deceased, and James. The second wife was Margary Daily, who died about eleven years after her husband, leaving the following children: Dr. Rissler, Newark; Edward Rissler, New Lexington: C. D. Rissler, Oceola. Iowa; Louisa, wife of Joshua Linville; Ella, wife of Dr. Thomas; Nathaniel, Greenville, Ohio. and Thomas J., who was married in 1860 to Melissa A. Martin, daughter of Ellison Martin; he moved to Thornville in 1872, where he engaged in business, which has been increasing and profitable. The Rissler name is connected with both political parties. Father Thomas Rissler and family were of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was distinguished for his honesty and the hospitality of his home was proverbial. C. D. and Nathaniel served in the Seventeenth O. V. I. to the end of the war. Thomas J. and his wife have two sons, Edward, now of age, and Ellison, now thirteen. They have also three daughters. Miss Sallie, Miss Bessie and Miss Nellie.
ROBERTS, JOHN T., collier, Shawnee, Ohio, was born September 18, 1827, in Anglesey, North Wales; son of Thomas and Gwen (Ishmall) Roberts. Was married and lived in Anglesey until he was eighteen years of age, working in copper mines from the age of nine years, after which he was employed as follows: Carmarthenshire, working on railroad tunnel three years; Myrtha-tidvil Glamorganshire, mining iron ore four years. At this time he returned home and was married July 22, 1854, to Catharine, daughter of Thomas R. and Jane (Jones) Thomas. They are the parents of two children. Thomas and Jane, deceased. After his marriage he remained in Anglesey about three years. Worked on breakwater at Hollyhead, that cost $100,000, for about twenty years in building. In Staffordshire, England, about fifteen years mining coal, except about two years and six months he spent in Liverpool, where he was employed in corporation warehouses. At this time he emigrated to America, landing in New York, December 29, 1870, and went to Pomeroy, Ohio, where he mined coal seven months, when he went to Coalton, Kentucky, mined coal about five months and returned to Pomeroy, where he stayed about nine months, and then to New Straitsville, mining about eighteen months, when he moved to Shawnee, where he has since remained, employed as a miner, eight years. In Staffordshire, he was leader of a church choir about twelve years and is leader of a choir in the Welch church of this place. ROCKHOLD, JESSE, farmer and shoemaker, post office, Rehoboth, Clayton township; born in Maryland in 1818. Settled in Perry county in 1854; son of Elijah and Rachel (Hitchcock) Rockhold. The former died about the year 1868; the latter about the year 1858. Married in April, 1854 to Miss Augusta Hitchcock, daughter of Israel and Cornelia Hitchcock. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Luressa E., Delilah H., one not named; two are dead. Mr. Rockhold's father was in the War of 1812. RODGERS, JOSEPH D., real estate, stock and grain dealer, Corning, Ohio; son of Joseph and Catharine (Smith) Rodgers. Joseph Rodgers, Sr., came to Perry county, Ohio, from Wheeling, West Virginia. about the year 1831, with his father, Joseph Rodgers, and located, first on the west side of Monroe township. When Joseph, Sr., married he located about one half mile west of Corning, Ohio. The entire town is built on lands formerly owned by him. He followed agriculture and husbandry, by which he acquired an ample competency. Joseph D. Rodgers, the subject of this sketch, was married February 29, 1872, to Miss Adaline, daughter of V. W. and Ellen (Vanferson) Lewis, of Muskingum county, Ohio. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Chester Allen, Sheldon M. and George Lee. RODGERS, CHARLES M., stock dealer, Valley Falls, Jefferson county, Kansas, was born September 6, 1845, in Monroe township, Perry county, Ohio; son of Joseph and Catharine (Smith) Rodgers. Charles M. was brought up on a farm in his native township; located in Jefferson county, Kansas, in 1878. where he was married March 7, 1878, to Miss Florence, daughter of E. H. and Amanda (Law) Watkins. They are the parents of two children. Mettie Dell and Everett Garfield. RODGERS, NELSON L., Corning, Ohio. was born August 17, 1852, in Monroe township. Perry county, Ohio; son of Joseph and Catharine
(Smith) Rodgers. Nelson L, was brought up in his native township, and was married September 18, 1873, to Miss Margaret, daughter of James and Eliza (Nedgar) Cain, of Homer township, Morgan county, Ohio, of Scotch-Irish ancestry. They are the parents of three children, Granville J., deceased, Lily Viola and Jessie Cloe. ROGERS, NELSON, retired farmer and stock dealer, Corning, Ohio, was born May 6, 1826, in Wheeling, West Virginia, son of Joseph and Elizabeth Rogers, who were natives of Fayette county Pennsylvania. Elizabeth Rogers, named above, was daughter of Captain William Haney. The parents of Nelson Rogers moved to near Rehoboth, Clayton township, Perry county, Ohio, when he was but four months old. Here they remained three years, then came to Monroe township, where Nelson has made his home to the present time, excepting two years of his boyhood spent in Athens county, Ohio. Mr. Rogers' early life was spent in real pioneer style. Then the deer, bear, wild hog and wild turkey were abundant in the woods of Monroe township. Game was so plenty as at times to be killed for sport and not used. When young he has gone alone, coon hunting, at night, and caught more coons than he could carry home with him. He has lived to see those rough and hardy pioneer times and customs change to the modern advanced customs and luxuries of the present times. Mr. Rogers has given his attention to agriculture and stock dealing, and by honest industry and intelligent economy, he has obtained an ample competence for himself and family. He owns two hundred and forty-six acres of the valuable mineral land, situated between Corning and Rendville, Ohio, and eighty acres of equally as good mineral land situated about one mile from the above tract. Mr. Rogers was married December 28, 1851, to Miss Miram Elma, daughter of Jesse and Epsey (Batton) Sanders. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Sarah Epsey, Kelita Austin, Benj. F., Abish Lincol, David Merchant and Ida May. ROGERS, KELITA AUSTIN, farmer, Corning, Ohio, was born August 5, 1855, in Monroe township, Ohio, son of Nelson and Miram Elma (Sanders) Rogers. Austin was brought up on the farm, but has learned the carpenter's trade and understands coal mining. Mr. Rogers was married October 12, 1879, to Miss Hannah, daughter of Avery and Sarah (Taggart) West, of Morgan county, Ohio. They are the parents of one child, viz.: James Delmer. ROSE, EZEKIEL, Bearfield township, Portersville post office, farmer, born in this township October 25, 1818, son of Ezekiel and Sarah (Thorp) Rose; father of English and mother of Welsh descent. When the subject of this sketch attained manhood he went to Iowa and lived at Fort Des Moines several years. He went to California in 1849. Worked in the mines one year, and the rest of the four years he remained in California he kept store and a butcher shop. He was on the site of Sacramento City, before the first house was built there. He then returned to Bearfield township, bought a farm and has resided there ever since. June 26, 1855, he married Adaline V. Skinner, daughter of Amos and Margaret A. (Murrey) Skinner. They are the parents of the following named children: Pleasant A., married to James E. Stoneburner, of this township; Sadie M., school teacher; Edward J., school teacher; and two died in infancy.
ROWAN, E. J., book keeper, school teacher and civil engineer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born December 23, 1830, in county Mayo, Ireland, son of Edward and Catharine (Mulowny) Rowan. Was raised a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits until 1840, when he emigrated to America, landing at New York October 8, 1840; remained near Syracuse, New York, about four years and engaged at farming; from there he went to Baltimore, Maryland, where he remained two years, working and visiting relatives. He next found his way to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, April, 1846, remaining with his brother about one year, and then went to Rochester, Pennsylvania, where he went into partnership in a general merchandise store with his brother, where he remained about one year, and went to Steubenville, Ohio, in 1850, where he practiced engineering on the extension of the Pittsburgh and Cleveland Railroad, and was foreman of the survey, which employed him about one year. After this he returned to Pennsylvania and studied surveying with a farmer by the name of Richard D. Hudson, working on the farm to pay for his instructions, and remained about one year. At this time the same railroad that he had been working upon again opened and he was employed as division engineer, with the Honorable Israel Linton, of Ravenna, Ohio, where he remained two years; thence to locate the railroad from Pittsburgh to Rochester, Pennsylvania, taking him six weeks, and then for four months calculated tables of quantities. Again at Steubenville, Ohio, working in yards of what was then the Steubenville and Indiana Railroad, and now commonly known as the Pan-Handle Route, about one month; next he went to Xenia, Ohio, clerking and engineering for the Little Miami Railroad, from April, 1858, to April, 1859; from thence to Cincinnati, Ohio, still keeping books for the same company, regulating their time, etc.; continued about two years, during which time he surveyed a road from Richmond, Indiana, to Indianapolis, Indiana, requiring about six weeks; again returned to Xenia, and from that time until 1872 was with same road; and owned property in Xenia. From Xenia he went to the tunnel on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Straitsville Division, as watchman, and from there came to Shawnee where he drew maps of the Shawnee Valley mine, Fannie Furnace mine, platted the cemetery, and surveyed the streets and directed their grading of Shawnee. He is now teaching a night select school and a class of four students in geometry and trigonomety. Was married August 3, 1857, to Ann Jane, daughter of Thomas and Catharine (Breen) McCoy, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. They become the parents of eight children. viz.: Catharine F., Mary Ann, Ellen Agnes, Emily Jane, Edward, John Martin, Thomas William, deceased, Anna Jane, deceased. Mrs. Rowan died December 27, 1874, aged thirty-four years, nine months. RUDDOCK, GEORGE, farmer, post office Shawnee, Ohio; was born April, 1827, in Halcombe, Somersetshire, England; son of Solomon and Mary (Taylor) Ruddock. Mr. Ruddock lived with his father until he was eighteen years of age and was employed in mines at eight years of age, working in Holcombe about twelve years and in Norton parish; the balance of the time he remained with his father. At the time of leaving his father's home he engaged with a mining company, of Monmouthshire, where he remained twenty years and was engaged
with Myrtha Coal Company four years, and in mines until 1872, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York in July, 1872, and went to Dudley, Huntington county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in mining for John Whitehead and Company, for about two years, when he came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he mined about one year, and since which time he has been farming, and now is living in Shawnee, where he enjoys his own house, erected in 1881. Was married May, 1857, to Mary, daughter of Samuel and Ann (Dore) Green. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Elizabeth Ann, William Jonah, Samuel George, Mary Jane, Robert, Martha and Thomas Dore, and one deceased, William. RUSSELL, W. H., was born in 1841, in Somerset. Ohio, where he yet resides. His father, William Russell, is a native of New Jersey, and lost his father early in life, his mother surviving her husband for some years. He came to Ohio a few years prior to 1840, in which year he became the husband of Elizabeth, daughter of the late venerable Drury Harper, of Somerset. She had two brothers in the Mexican War, both having contracted disease there which cut short their lives. She has one sister, Mrs. Trunnell, now of the State of Missouri. W. H. Russell is the eldest of eight sons, all living in Ohio, except Edward, now in the State of Texas. There are two sisters of these sons, one the wife of W. H. Walker, and the other of Albert May, both residing in Somerset. W. H. Russell volunteered in Company G, Thirty-first Regiment, O. V. I., in 1861, and served to the close of the war in 1865. In 1867, he was married to Miss Katharine Murphy, by whom he became the father of one son and one daughter. In 1878, this affectionate and estimable lady was called hence by death, and Mr. Russell has remained a widower since then. His son and daughter find a pleasant home with their grandparents, where also Mr. Russell himself has established his residence, and where two of his younger brothers remain also. In the year 1866, in partnership with his brother-in-law, W. H. Walker. their business as shoemakers and merchants began on a small capital which each had saved up from his earnings, prior to that date, and which has now so accumulated that, measured by their taxes, which are over $100 a year, certifies their success. RUTTER, WALTER, of the firm of Wilson & Rutter, butchers, New Lexington, Ohio; was born March 25, 1828, in Newton township. Muskingum county, Ohio; son of Benjamin and Sarah (Muse) Rutter, natives of Maryland. At the age of seventeen Walter came to Clayton township, where he followed farming until he was forty-five years of age, when he came to this place and established his present business. Mr. Wilson became partner in December, 1881. Mr. Rutter was married in March, 1850, to Miss Jane, daughter of Samuel and Barzilla (Crogs) Croskey. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Samantha Alice, and Ida, and May, twins, who died in infancy. RYAN, WILLIAM J., druggist, Junction City, Ohio; son of Roday and Mary (Donley) Ryan; was born August 14, 1831, in this county; began working at the tanning business when sixteen years of age, and followed the same until about the age of twenty-one, then attended school for one year, after which he went to St. Joseph's College one year, then went to Jackson county, Iowa, and followed farming two
years, from there to Knox county, Missouri, and then April 20, 1861, started for California, driving through with a wagon via Salt Lake. Was three months reaching Virginia City, Nevada; stayed there for a time, and then went to California and stayed two years; landed there in Sacramento City, at the time of the flood; he engaged in the wood trade while there. Then came to Virginia City, and opened a feed stable, in partnership with Mathew Gisborn and followed it two years; then went to San Francisco, and from there to New York, via the Isthmus, and from there to this county; followed farming, and serving nine years as Justice of the Peace; established himself in the drug business in Junction City, in April, 1876, and has the largest stock of drugs and notions in town. He was married in 1854, to Helen, daughter of Levi and Ann (Lily) Burgoon; they are the parents of eleven children, ten living, six boys and four girls, viz.: Mary A., Levi I., Thomas A., Elizabeth L., John F., Mark G., Joseph J., Lucy F., Hiram E., Sarah J. Levi is in the Indian Territory. Thomas A. is one of the officers at the Insane Asylum. Mr. Ryan's father and mother were born in Ireland. RYLAND, CHARLES H., Justice of the Peace and farmer, post office Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio; born in Cumberland, Maryland, in 1843; came to Perry county, in 1874; son of Samuel and Mary A. Ryland. Married in 1868, to Miss Mattie E. Melick, daughter of William and Anna Melick. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Eva A. and Stephen M. Mr. Ryland is at present serving as Justice of the Peace of Harrison township.