HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "O"

     O'FARRELL, MICHAEL, M. D., Shawnee, Ohio; was born March
14, 1852, in Perry county, Ohio; son of Barnard and Julia (Conway)
O'Farrell, natives of county Longford, Ireland; came to Perry county,
Ohio about the year 1850. Michael was brought up on the farm where
he remained until 1874. In 1870, began teaching school, and taught
three terms. Began the study of medicine in 1873, and was graduated
at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, in 1876; began 
practice at McCuneville, where he remained six months, then came to his
present location. Dr. O'Farrell was married in 1878, to Miss Ellen,
daughter of James and Mary Barrett, natives of Ireland, but now 
residents of Shawnee, Ohio. They became the parents of two children,
Julia Mary and James Bernard. Mrs. O'Farrell died March 20, 1881.
     OGG, JOHN W., farmer; Bearfield township, Deavertown post office;
born in Clayton township in 1810; son of George and Rachel (Frend)
Ogg. His father was of Scotch descent and born in Baltimore, and
his mother was of English descent. His father emigrated to Ohio in
the year 1800 and entered land near the town of Somerset; he died in
Bearfield township in 1832, and his mother died in 1819. The subject of
this sketch has always resided in this county, with the exception of the
four years he was in Hocking county. In 1830 he married Sarah 
Latmon, who died in 1831. He was married again in 1833 to Mary Elston,
of Muskingum county, and they are the parents of the following named
children: Sylvester, married and lives in Bearfield township; Sarah J.;
George, married and resides in Kansas; Ruth E., who was married
and her husband died in the army; Martha; Wesley, who died in the
army; Margaret, who is married and resides in this township.

497

     OLDROYD, ENOCH, collier, Shawnee, Ohio, was born August 10,
1842, in Thornhill, Yorkshire, England; son of Thomas and Esther
(Wilkinson) Oldroyd. Mr. Oldroyd was raised in the town of his 
nativity, where he remained until he was twenty-five years of age, and
was engaged in coal mining from the time he was old enough to work
at the business, probably from nine or ten years of age, after which he
was employed one year at Beatty and at Ossett six years in mining,
when he emigrated to America, setting sail from Liverpool March 2d,
landing in New York March 14, 1870, and went to near Frostburg,
Maryland, where he was engaged as a miner four months, and then
went to Pennsylvania, on the Monongahela River, where he remained
until 1873, when he moved to Shawnee, Ohio, where he has since lived
and been employed as a miner. Mr. Oldroyd was married in March,
1865, to Patience, daughter of William and Jane (Stubler) Almond.
They are the parents of nine children, viz.: Joseph, Jeremiah, Hannah,
Cyrus, Gracie, Patience, Jamie, John, and Esther, living, and one 
deceased, Dick. Mr. Oldroyd has served the P. M. Church as local
preacher, trustee, Sabbath school superintendent, and Sabbath school
teacher.
     OPPERMAN, JACOB H., Superintendent Licking Iron Company,
Shawnee, Ohio; was born January 26, 1845, in Cour Hessa, Germany,
son of Jacob and Gertrude Opperman. Jacob H. was brought to America 
when three years of age by his parents, who located in Armstrong
county, Pennsylvania, after spending one year in the city of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. In 1866, Jacob H. came to Steubenville, Ohio, and 
remained seven years, then returned to Armstrong county, Pennsylvania,
and remained until January, 1878, when he took his present charge.
Mr. Opperman was married November 7, 1867, to Miss Catharine Ellen,
daughter of John and Margaret (Campbel) Starr, of German ancestry. 
They are the parents of five children, viz.: Annie Mary, Adah
Gertrude, Margaret Jane, deceased, Minnie Alice and Emma Dean.
     OWENS, HUGH, boot and shoe manufacturer, Rendville, Ohio; born
about the year 1854, in county Mayo, Ireland, son of John and Mary
(Casey) Owens, now living in Ireland. At about the age of twelve
years Hugh went to his present trade. After its completion he went to
England and located in London, where he remained two years. Then
he emigrated to America and located at Washington, Fayette county,
Ohio. He subsequently resided at Lancaster and New Lexington,
Ohio, and came to the Sunday Creek Valley in the year 1880. Mr.
Owens is a good machanic, being able to make first class pegged or
sewed work.
     OWENS, WM. P., clerk in Ohio Central Coal Company's store, 
Rendville, Ohio; was born in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, son of Wm. P.
and Jeannette (Black) Owens. His paternal ancestry was Welsh, and
maternal, Scotch. William P. first began business as clerk, at Greenock, 
Pennsylvania. This town was laid out and named by William
Black, grand father of Mr. Owens, and was named for a town in 
Scotland, of the same name. Mr. Owens remained at Greenock about two
years, after which he did business a short time; subsequently he was 
engaged at New Lexington, and Moxahala, Ohio, and came to Rendville,
Ohio, in February 1880. Mr. Owens was married June 15, 1881, to

498

 
Miss Eva M., daughter of Jona and Hannah (Davis)Taylor, of 
Rendville, Ohio.
     OVERMEYER, PETER, was born August 24, 1799, in Northumber-
land county, Pennsylvania. His father, also named Peter, and his
mother, whose maiden name was Eve Henig, came to Ohio in 1801,
with a family of ten children, Peter being then the youngest. In June
of that year, while crossing the Ohio River on a ferry boat, the
wheel horses were drowned and the rear end of the wagon with the bed
and contents floated down the angry flood. The three front horses,
with the family, had previously been safely landed, and the front carriage 
was afterwards found fast under the roots of a tree, but the wagon
bed and hind carriage, containing the household valuables, were never
recovered, and Peter himself made a narrow escape. He rested in
Belmont county with his family until the next year, when he came to
Perry county and joined Peter Whitmore in the purchase of section one,
at two dollars per acre, this being the government price, one-third down,
one-third in a year, and one-third in two years---no less than one 
section then being sold by the government. It was a brave heart that
could settle in the woods, with a loving wife and ten children,
dependent on it for protection against hunger, cold and wild beasts, and
the last payment on the land due while there were no funds left to meet
the obligation and save even the cabin home from forced sale. The 
situation was relieved by the arrival of Adam Auspach, who fell in love
with section one, the same on which the widow Fisher resided, now in
part owned by James Love, Esq., and who bought it by agency of
Dupler, at five dollars per acre. Peter Overmyer, Sr., then bought
where Peter, Jr., now has lived seventy-eight years, and Peter 
Whitmore, Sr., bought where Peter, Jr., lived until his death in 1880. 
Other men may grow older, others may live longer, others may rise to 
higher fame, but what citizen of Ohio has lived over three quarters of a
century on the same farm, drank water from the same fountain, and
never missed voting the Democratic ticket at any fall, and only missed
one spring election since 1820? Peter Overmeyer's grandfather and
grandmother both died at the residence of their son, Jacob, who then
lived in Thorn township. His other uncles, beside this same Jacob
Overmeyer, were John, David and Philip, all of whom, with his brothers 
George and Jacob, died in Sandusky, Ohio, at ages varying from
seventy-two to ninety-five. He had also an uncle George, who is buried
in New Reading, a town laid out by Peter Overmeyer, Sr., in 1805. This
venerable citizen died in 1842, at the age of eighty-three years. His first
wife, and mother of all his children, having preceded him in 1823, and
his second wife, Sarah Harnet, having also died one week before him.
Peter Overmeyer was married September 25, 1824, to Miss Rosanna
Bueb, and are both yet living. This estimable lady was born in Baden,
on the banks of the Rhine, September, 1804. Her father, John Bueb,
was one of Napoleon's soldiers, whose chief reward for service and
valor was found in the wounds which disabled him from pursuing any
other means of support than that of holding street concerts, both vocal
and instrumental. His famous songs were translated into English by
Rev. Hinkel, and were listened to at one time by General Jackson, who

499

acknowledged his satisfaction by giving one dollar to the crippled 
soldier, without a pension. He lived in Rushville about the year 1818. His
daughter, Rosanna, must have been a beautiful young woman to have
captured so gallant a lover as Peter Overmeyer, and this opinion is 
sustained by the pleasing lines of beauty which still linger in the lines of
her wrinkled brow and the white teeth which defy time and decay, now
in the fifty-ninth year of her married life, the mother of eleven children,
five of whom died in childhood, and six of whom are yet living. His
sons are George W., who first married a daughter of Bernard Bowman
and sister of Joel Bowman, who moved to Allen county in 1850, where
he became, first, County Auditor, and afterwards Probate Judge. After
the death of his first wife he married a lady by the name of Barnet.
The first marriage was productive of six, the last of four children. The
other son is John B. Overmeyer, born in 1835; a farmer, who was 
married in 1836 to Miss Amanda Baker, who deceased in 1862, leaving 
one son, Lewis, residence, Columbus, Ohio, and clerk in a dry goods store.
In 1868 he was again married to Miss Sarah R. Snyder. The children
by this marriage are Mary, Endora, Clara, John J., Nancy and Robert
Overmeyer. John B. Overmeyer was elected, in 1873, to the office of
County Treasurer, and held it the two terms provided for by law, 
confining it to four out of six consecutive years. He invented a time lock
during his incumbency of the treasurer's office, which has large and 
respectable merit, but so surrounded by other claims as to be of no 
practical benefit to the finances of the inventor at the present time. For
some years prior to this he was trustee of his township, and his popularity, 
based on his quiet honesty and sterling capacity, continues to make
him the hope of his party in any close contest for supremacy in the
county. He lives in the family mansion where the Overmeyer name
and ancestry has been known and honored for more than three 
quarters of a century.
     OVERMEYER, JOEL W., hardware, stoves, agricultural implements
and tin shop, Main street. New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Overmeyer was
born September 2, 1829, in Circleville, Pickaway county, Ohio, son of
Jacob and Mary (Weaver) Overmeyer. Young Overmeyer, at sixteen,
went to the saddlery and harness trade, and followed it about ten years.
While traveling as a journeyman he visited fourteen different States and
worked in the most of them, principally the Southern States. He was
proprietor of a hotel and United States mail contractor at Somerset,
this county, for fifteen years. In 1867, he moved to Lancaster, Ohio,
and engaged in the first shovel factory established west of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, in which he remained about eight years; came to this
place in 1875, and established his present business, in which he is 
succeeding very well. Mr. Overmeyer was married September 6, 1833, to
Miss Eliza, daughter of George and Nancy (Ream) Morris, of this
county. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Clara, George
Morris, Mary. Alice Lee, Charles John, Eliza and Nellie.

500

Next Chapter