HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "M"
McBRIDE, WILLIAM J., Rendville, Ohio; was born October 17, 1850, in Rochester, New York. When an infant, his parents moved to Ontario, Canada, where he was brought up on a farm, and in his father's store. Whilst a youth, he worked two years at cabinet and carpenter work. He then attended a school of design eighteen months, after which he determined to be a railroader, and became railroad engineer in two years after going on the road. In 1878 he came to Gallipolis, O., and was boss carpenter in the railroad shops at that place seven months. Came to his present residence in July, 1879. Was married August 4, 1872, to Miss Eliza, daughter of Michael and Mary (O'Brien) McAleer of Canada. They are the parents of nine children, all of whom died in infancy, excepting Charles, born March 4, 1877. McCLEAN, ALEXANDER, farmer, Monday Creek township, post office, McCunesville, Ohio, was born March 25,1823, in county Antrim, Ireland son of John and Margaret (Conley) McClean. Mr. McClean came to America in 1831, with his father, who settled in Moyerstown, where he lived about one year and was engaged on public works; about this time he died at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. At the age of ten years, Alexander, the subject of this sketch, was employed on the Union Canal as grogg boss, where he remained about two years, when he went to Grant's Hill and was grogg boss about one year, and then came to Ohio, via Marietta to Zanesville, on the Ohio and Muskingum rivers. From Marietta to Zanesville they started on a boat that was pushed by poles, but after ten miles ride they concluded to walk the remainder of their journey and all the way to New Lexington, near where they found Mrs. McClean's father, who had previously come to Ohio. Mr. Conley built them a house in his door yard where they lived until Mr. McClean bought eighty acres of land where he now lives, some
years afterward. In the spring after their arrival Mr. McClean was employed by Thomas Martin to work on the national pike at $4.00 per month during one summer, and was next employed by John McGary at same work for $6.00 per month one summer, and the third summer by Henry Devlin; and was employed by a man named Taggart, driving oxen at $12 per month one season. Broke gravel about twelve miles west of Columbus at $1.00 per rod, where he hired a boy to drive at $4.00 per month, making upon this contract about $2.00 per day, which employed him about one year, when he came to Jackson township and bought eighty acres of land for $175, $35 of which he borrowed of Reuben Tharp at 25 per cent. interest; built a log cabin, into which his mother and sister moved, and he returned to work on the pike where he remained five months during which time his mother died. Upon again returning home he paid the $35 he had borrowed with the 25 per cent. interest, and lived upon the farm for two or three years in the log cabin, when he hewed logs with his narrow ax for a new dwelling, after which of course it was necessary to have a raising, and this is the way he tells it. "Of course we had to have a raising, and we had whisky in it; most of the men got drunk and we barely escaped a fight, but before nightfall we had the house up to the square, and my neighbors had returned home, no accident having occurred. The next day I employed a carpenter to complete the job. He measured the width of the house, and we cut down the finest stick we could find in the dense woodland, sawed it the right length for rafters, split them out and framed them, and thought we would have more than an ordinary good roof, for those days, but when we come to put them up, lo and behold, they were too short and would have made the roof too flat, but it was not the fault of the carpenter, as the cornermen had not carried their corners perpendicularly, causing the top to be wider than the bottom, and we lost the work spent on the split rafters, and we had to use sapling rafters; the house is still standing round up the valley yonder, a monument of bygone, log cabin raisings." Mr. McClean lived some six or seven years in that house when he exchanged it for forty acres near Straitsville with Bazel Gordon, from whom he received $550, as the valued difference between the farms, giving him five years time to pay it in, and afterward sold the forty acres for which he exchanged, and bought eighty acres of Israel Gordon for $1,050, in Monday Creek township, and was obliged to again resume the forty acres upon the failure of the purchaser to pay for it. Moved to the eighty acres, to which he added forty acres at $400, and lived there five years, when he again sold out and moved to his present place of abode, where he had purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land for $2,050, upon which there was a hewed log barn and a hewed log house, both of which he has supplanted by good frame buildings. Since coming to this place he has increased his number of acres to five hundred, and has sold eighty acres to his son James. Mr. McClean has been for several years a stock dealer, and he made sheep buying and selling a specialty. Mr. McClean was married September 22, 1840 to Miss Mary, daughter of John F., and Margaret (Gordon) Hoy, of Monroe township. They are the parents of ten living children, viz.: James, Alexander, William, Albert, Charlie, Simon,
Margaret, Mary, Rosa, Sallie, and two deceased, John and Patrick. McCLOY, DAVID E., check weighman, New Straitsville, Ohio. Was born March 17, 1842, in Roseville, Muskingum county, son of William and Ruth (Worley) McCloy. Mr. McCloy was brought up in New Lexington, this county, where his father moved when David E. was a youth, and where he lived until 1872, when he came to this place. While in New Lexington he learned the harness maker, saddler and painter's trades, which he followed up to June, 1862, when he enlisted in Company I, under Captain L. F. Muzzy, in the One Hundred and Fourteenth Regiment, O. V. I. for three years, or during the war, and served until August, 1864, when he was discharged by reason of general disability. Was in the following engagements: Chickasaw Bluffs, Arkansas Post, Champion Hill, Thompson's Hill, Black River Bridge, and Siege of Vicksburg. After receiving his discharge he returned home, and eighteen months from this time, upon his recovery, he again engaged at his former occupation, until 1872, when he came to this place and has been employed as follows: Harness making one year, when he became weighmaster at W. P. Rend & Co.'s mine, which position he held for about five years, when he took his present position at the Thomas Coal Company's mine, where he has been for the past two years. Mr. McCloy was married the first time November 11, 1866, to Martha A., daughter of Asa and Eliza (Plummer) Ball. This union was blessed with six children, viz.: Twins, that died in infancy; Minnie May, Charles A., David Worley, and William Asbury. Mrs. McCloy died December 9, 1875. Mr. McCloy was married the second time, July 1, 1877, to Miss Minerva, daughter of John G. and Sarah (Ray) Pummell. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Benjamin P., born March 28, 1878; John H., born July 2, 1880, died February 10, 1881, and Lillie M., born January 18, 1882. McCLOUD, BENJAMIN F., mine boss, Corning, Ohio, born January 16, 1847, in Canawa county, West Virginia, son of David and Mary A. (Hagarman) McCloud. At the age of fourteen he began iron moulding with his father, which he followed for six years, when he commenced mining at Campbell's Creek, near Charleston, West Virginia. In 1875 he engaged with the Consolidated Coal Company, of Cincinnati, remaining with them six years. He came to his present place in the spring of 1880. Mr. McCloud was married June 18, 1867, to Mary A. Hall. They are the parents of five children, viz.: William B., Walter S., Charles F., (twins), Mary Ellen and Frank. McCORMICK, S. J., merchant, Logan, Ohio. Born in Maxville, Perry county, Ohio, December 23, 1835. Son of William and Elizabeth (Johnson) McCormick. His early boyhood was spent in assisting his father in the line of business, which, at that time, was one of the leading industries of southern Perry. In 1861 he opened a store in Maxville, and continued to engage in mercantile pursuits until the spring of 1882, when, disposing of his stock of goods, he removed to Logan, Hocking county, Ohio. Was married April 19, 1866, to Cynthia, daughter of Moses and Julia A. (Patterson) Rambo, of South Bloomingville, Hocking county, Ohio, to whom were born two children, Frank Herbert and
Mabel R. By economy and industry Mr. McCormick has secured for himself and family a good home and a competence sufficient to make life happy. William McCormick, deceased, father of S.J. McCormick, was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, November 12, 1802. He was among the pioneers of the State, and white men were living in but a few localities, and Indians and wild beasts were daily seen. He was married July 25, 1833, to Elizabeth Johnson, who was born in Virginia, March 2, 1809. Eight children were born to them, viz.: James T., S. J., Sarah J., John W., Amos G., Francis M., David L., Mary E. William McCormick was among the first to locate in Maxville, and remained one of its most influential citizens until his death, which occurred October 11, 1856. Moses Rambo, deceased, father of Mrs. S. J. McCormick, was born in Perry county, Ohio, November 26, 1807. Was married to Julia A. Patterson September 16, 1830, who was born in Pennsylvania, October 13, 1805, and came to Perry county, Ohio, at a very early date. They were the parents of the following children: Oliver G., George W., Cynthia M., Calvin L., Benjamin F. Moses Rambo died in South Bloomingville, Ohio, May 10, 1866. Julia A., his wife. died December 10, 1862. McCOURTNEY, SAMUEL, farmer, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, April 8, 1832. Came to this county with his parents in September, 1834, and has since lived here. His boyhood days were spent on a farm till the age of twenty, after which he taught school for a time. He then engaged in farming and school teaching until 1864. Since then he has followed farming. In 1874 he was elected County Surveyor, and held the office six years. Was married in 1861 to Margaret, daughter of William and Margaret (Clarke) Pattridge; they are the parents of seven children, viz.: Mary A., Francis L., Maggie A., John E., Nettie I., Catharine and Rose. Mr. McCourtney is a son of Arthur and Nancy (Gordon) McCourtney. Mr. McCourtney's father was born in Ireland, near Iniskillan, county of Fermonwaugh, March 8, 1792, and is still living, on January 4, 1882. The principal part of his life was spent in school teaching. He came to New York in. 1817. Mr. McCourtney's wife's people are of Irish descent. McCRILLIS, MATHEW, dentist, Somerset, Ohio. He was born in April, 1856, in Reading township; is a son of David McCrillis, deceased, who was a successful and highly appreciated teacher and citizen. Mathew's mother was Margaret Pence, daughter of the late venerable Isaac Pence of Perry. He was only ten years old when he lost both parents, the father's death preceding that of his mother only a few months. He has one brother and one sister. He was tenderly and faithfully reared under the care of his grandparents, on the old Pence homestead, until his twenty-first year, when he went to Findlay, Ohio, to study and practice his chosen profession, where he remained several years. When yet a boy on the farm, he practiced dentistry, and his aptitude in these offices gained for him the name of Dr. McCrillis, and presaged the bent of his mind. On his return from California, whither he had wandered in search of dental knowledge and experience, he located in Somerset in 1881, and became a partner in dentistry with Dr. H. C. Greiner, now serving his second term in the Legislature as a Representative of his county. Dr. McCrillis has taken full charge of the
extensive and growing business of the firm during the temporary absence of his distinguished partner, and is noted for the correctness of his habits, for devotion to his chosen occupation, and that gentle charity which makes him a favorite in the best social circles of society. McCULLOUGH, R. N., farmer, Monday Creek township; post office, Maxville, Ohio; was born October 4, 1817, in Fairfield county, Ohio; son of William and Nancy (Nelson) McCullough. Mr. McCullough was brought up on a farm, and has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life. In 1841, he came to Monday Creek township, and located on his present farm of one hundred and eighty acres of land, where he still lives. Mr. McCullough was married, December 8, 1840, to Miss Mary, daughter of David S., and Sarah (Larrimer) Haggerty, of Fairfield county, Ohio. Unto them were born ten children, viz.: William, deceased; Eliza J., Sarah E., Nancy, John W., James, Rhoda L., George S., Mary E., deceased, and Charlie L. McDONALD, JAMES, farmer. Pleasant township; post office, Rendville, Ohio; born May 27, 1838, in this township, on the farm where he now resides. Son of John and Margaret (Farrahey) McDonald. His father was born in Kildair county, Ireland, and his mother in Longford, Ireland. His father emigrated to the United States in 1822, and located and died in advanced life on the farm where James now resides. His father died September 17, 1854, aged sixty-seven; and his mother died April 6, 1881, aged seventy-nine. The subject of this sketch married Jane Ann Walpole, of Morgan county, Ohio, November 2, 1858. She was of Irish descent. They are the parents of ten children, viz.: Margaret A., John G., George B., Francis F., Ellen A., Charles, William, Richard F., Mary and Joseph. McDONALD, ADAM N., track boss, Corning, Ohio; was born April 28, 1840, in Edinburgshire county, Scotland; son of John and Jennett (Riddle) McDonald. Adam N., at the age of twelve, went into the mines of Scotland, where he worked until 1870, when he came to America, and located in Mercer county, Pennsylvania. In 1876, removed to Mahoning county, Ohio, and to his present home, March 2, 1880. Mr. McDonald was married September 19, 1862, to Miss Robina, daughter of Alexander and Isabella Monroe, of Scotland. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Jessie, Isabella Jane, Robina and Jane. Mr. McDonald has been successful, and does not regret that he and his family have cast their lot in this free country. McDONALD, JAMES S., farmer, Pike township; post office, New Lexington, Ohio; was born October 13, 1842, in Muskingum county, Ohio; son of Robert and Mary A. (Starrett) McDonald. Was raised a farmer, and has made farming the business of his life. Came to Perry county, Ohio, at the age of five years, with his father, and lived in salt Lick township, now Coal township, to the time of his marriage, November 22, 1866, to Miss Martha E., daughter of John and Elizabeth (Collins) McKinney, of Hocking county, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Mary A., Robert L., John W., James E., Franklin A., and Elizabeth E.; all living at home. After his marriage, he bought sixty-five acres of land from his father, for one thousand one hundred dollars, and afterward sold forty acres of the same for what he gave for the whole; and again bought sixty-five acres of his father for
one thousand three hundred dollars, and in the course of one year sold all he then had, for two thousand one hundred dollars; at which time he moved to Pike township, on his father's farm, and cropped one year with him, when he bought eighty acres in Saltlick, and the original home farm, for one thousand seven hundred and seventy dollars, where he lived four years, during which time he had optioned his farm, and at the expiration of which time it was taken per the option at five thousand five hundred dollars, when he bought one hundred acres where he now lives, for six thousand five hundred dollars. Since coming to this farm he has remodeled the dwelling, making it as good as new. Mr. McDonald enlisted in the army, in Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Regiment, O. V. I., for six months, which he served, and was discharged by reason of expiration of term of enlistment. Returned home and enlisted in the one hundred days' service in Company A, One Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment, O. N. G., and served about four months, when he was again discharged by reason of expiration of term of enlistment; and again enlisted in Company G, Twenty-fifth Regiment, O. V. I., serving to the close of the war, when he was discharged by reason of the close of the war. During his last term of service, all of his bunk mates were shot but one, who died of disease, and he was disabled for life by what is known as varicose veins of the limbs, for which he gets a pension of thirty-six dollars per year. McDONALD, LEWIS F., farmer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born November 22, 1859, at Sulphur Springs, this township; son of Lewis and Margaret (Wilson) McDonald. Was brought up on a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits to this time. Mr. McDonald's father was a native of Ohio, and at one time, at Sulphur Springs, kept a store which was blown up by an explosion of gunpowder in 1870, killing him and one son, Nirum, who was three years and nine months old. The estimated loss of goods and building, was about six thousand dollars, with no insurance. Mr. McDonald was married August 28, 1881, to Miss Ida M., daughter of Simeon and Elizabeth (Stores) Sanders. In 1874, with his mother and sister, he moved to Yellow Springs, Ohio, where he attended college two years and six months, and afterward lived two years in Morrow county, Ohio, when they returned to the homestead, where they have remained to the present time. McGONAGLE, JOHN A., Clerk of Perry county, Ohio; was born June 17, 1851, in Pike township; son of William and Ann (Carr) McGonagle. Young McGonagle received his primary education in the primitive log school house, and finished his education in this place. At the age of nineteen he began teaching, and taught eleven winter terms, and worked at the carpenter's trade during the summer. Mr. McGonagle was elected Clerk of the Courts of Perry County, October 11, 1881. He was married June 23, 1874, to Miss Sarah C., daughter of William and Catharine (Donahoe) Forquer. They are the parents of two children, viz.: William Charles and Cassie T. McGREW, FINLEY B., blacksmith and contractor, Shawnee, Ohio: was born April 4, 1846, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania; son of James B. and Margaret (Vail) McGrew. Was brought up a farmer, until he was fourteen years of age, and then engaged in oil business for one year, when he enlisted in Company B, Fifty-third Regiment, O.V.I.,
for three years or during the war, serving three months, when his father took him out of service because of his being under age; after which he remained at home until 1863, when he again enlisted in Company B, Eighty-sixth Regiment, O. V. I., remaining four months; again returning home, he went to Barnesville, Ohio, and engaged in tobacco raising, but sold the crop in the field, and went as a substitute in Company B, One Hundred and Sixty-first Regiment, O. N. G., serving four months. In 1865 he began the blacksmith trade with George Powell, of McConnelsville, Ohio, serving two years and six months as apprentice, after which he worked in the following places: Malta, Ohio, for Brown Manufacturing Company; superintended oil farm for his father and Richard Stanton, for two years and six months; Canton, Missouri, blacksmithing, two months; Atchison, Missouri, one year six months, at trade; McConnelsville, Ohio, in partnership with Powell, blacksmithing, thirteen months; Straitsville, Ohio, for Dannals, smithing, two months; Shawnee, where he has been engaged in blacksmithing and contracting lime and iron ore jobs, up to this time. Mr. McGrew came to Ohio at the age of eight years, with his father, who served as Auditor of Morgan county, Ohio, about twelve years, and was elected for the next ensuing term at the time of his death. He was also County Surveyor for six years of same county. Mr. McGrew, the subject of this sketch, was married August 1st, 1875, to Ann L. Davis, daughter of Samuel and Mary (Keever) Davis. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Jasper, Laura and Mary; all living and at home. McKAY, CAPT. GEORGE A., ticket and freight agent of the Ohio Central Railroad Company, Corning, Ohio; was born June 16, 1841, in Oswego, New York; son of Alexander and Rosetta Louisa (Hamilton). McKay, both of Scotch descent. Alexander McKay was purveyor of the British Army in Canada in 1837, but joining the Independents, he lost by confiscation his valuable estate, and was forced to leave the country. He located first at Oswego, New York, and subsequently at Cleveland, Ohio. He died in San Francisco, California, in 1856. George A. spent his childhood and early youth in his native city. He came to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1847, which has been his residence to the present time. At the age of eleven he entered the Ohio State Journal office as a printer's apprentice, and remained about three years. April 17, 1861, he enlisted as a private soldier in Company A, Seventh 0. V. I., and was promoted through every grade to captain. He re-enlisted, and was mustered out at the expiration of his term of service. While on duty he received nine wounds. At the battle of Ringold, Georgia, he was severely wounded in both legs, the left one having both bones broken, and the main artery severed. During the last eighteen months of service he was Inspector General on the staffs of Generals Camdy, Geary and Hooker. Captain McKay was married December 20, 1865, to Miss Margaret A., daughter of James and Mary (Roome) Creech, natives of Scotland, but now of Cleveland, Ohio. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Addison H., George A., Edward Creighton and John H. Captain McKay has a business experience as chief voucher clerk and charge of a Cleveland special station for the Lake Shore Railroad. He was chief clerk for South Shore Line, also. In April, 1877, he was elected Inspector of Weights and
Measures for Cuyahoga county, and Cleveland City, Ohio, and served until the latter part of 1881. when he came to his present position on the solicitation of Hudson Fitch, General Freight Agent of the Ohio Central Railroad. McKEEVER, JAMES, was born May 4, 1804, in New York; son of Archie and Mary (Mullen) McKeever. He was brought up on a farm, and followed agricultural pursuits until he was eighteen years of age. His mother died when he was nine years old, and he lived with his father until he was fourteen years of age, when he made his home with his brother-in-law, Mr. Veil, of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, until his eighteenth year. At this time he came to Perry county, Ohio, and lived with an uncle until he was twenty-one years of age, during which time he probably learned his trade; after which he moved to a farm near Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio, where he remained about one year, when he went West, spending some twelve years in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Wisconsin. He was also in Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and spent some length of time in Pennsylvania, and has been in most of the States in the Union. After his return from the Western tour, he remained about two years at New Lexington, when he went to Texas, remaining eighteen months, and again returned to New Lexington, where, about seven months afterward, he was married, April 16, 1842, to Marjory, daughter of Alexander and Jane (Riley) Brown, of this place. They became the parents of six children, now living, viz.: Franklin, Mary Jane, Callie, Lizzie, Irene, Buris Alexander, and four deceased---Sarah Catharine, James, Josephine and Urila. After his marriage Mr. McKeever lived in and near New Lexington, up to the time of his death, which occurred October 9, 1880, and was buried in New Lexington cemetery. McKENNA, WILLIAM, druggist, Junction City, Ohio; son of William (deceased) and Charity (Burgoon) McKenna; was born in 1859 in this county; went to Nebraska in January of 1880; stayed one year, then returned to Perry county, and went to the Capital City Commercial College, Columbus, Ohio, one term, after which he went into the drug business in Junction City, where he does a first-class business. Mr. McKenna was married November 22, 1881, to Miss Lola, daughter of John and Hannah (Koon) Weimer. McLAUGHLIN, A. W., physician; was born in August, 1856, near Somerset. His father, H. B. McLaughlin, was born in 1823, in Pennsylvania. He was married in 1854 to Miss Mary J. Barber, of New Reading, this county. She was born in 1833. They are the parents of five children. The subject of this sketch is the oldest. He began the study of medicine in 1876, under Dr. A. Richard, of New Lexington. He graduated from the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati, when he located in Somerset. His father was Sheriff of this county for two terms, beginning January, 1862. McMAHON, TIMOTHY, M. D., of the firm of McMahon & Wright, physicians, New Lexington, Ohio. Dr. McMahon is a native of Washington, Rappahannock county, Virginia, son of John and Nancy (Johnson) McMahon. At the age of ten years he was brought to this county by his parents, who located at Rehoboth. About the year 1842, he began the study of medicine, and at the age of twenty began practice,
and has continued the same to the present writing. In 1858 the Dr. came to this place and was married the same year to Miss Julia A., daughter of Henry Stallh, of Somerset. They are the parents of one child, Mary, married to the junior partner of the above firm. Dr. McMahon is one of the prominent physicians of this place. McNULTY, HENRY, attorney-at-law, Dubuque, Iowa, the only surviving son of Hugh McNulty, who was a native of Ireland; came to Perry county, Ohio, early in the century; lived for many years on a farm in Clayton township, and later in life removed to Somerset where he died about 1860. The maiden name of Henry's mother was Miss Katharine McCristal, daughter of Owen McCristal and his wife, who was Sarah O'Niel, and both of the county Tyrone, Ireland. About the year 1814 they landed in Philadelphia, stayed there one year, and from there moved to Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, to a farm. Here he took a section of turnpike as contractor. Next year moved to Brownsville, Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where Mary Martin, the sister of Mrs. McNulty, was married to Patrick McCristal. Made a mile of the national road there, and the Martin family all moved to Perry county, except John, who went to New York and died there. This was in 1817 or 1818. Grandfather Owen Martin lived to the age of eighty-two, and his wife to the age of ninety years, and both are buried at St. Joseph's, the first Roman Catholic church in Ohio. Their sons were Thomas, whose son, John, is in San Francisco; James, whose sons were Owen and Thomas; John, whose sons were Edward and Daniel; and Henry, whose sons are Willie, Charles and Harry, and who is also the father of ten daughters by the first marriage to Katharine Griffin, and the second to Elizabeth Carrol. The children of Katharine and Hugh McNulty, were John, now deceased, Henry, now living in Dubuque, Iowa, Mrs. Sarah Burns, a widow, living in Somerset, and Ellen, who was never married. The children of Mary McCristal were Daniel and James, both married and deceased, but leaving children, and Sarah, wife of James Creighton, Omaha, Nebraska. The McNulty ancestry, except Hugh and a bachelor brother, who died in Maryland, are in Ireland, so that the descendants of Hugh are the only representatives of this family in America, and of these only one son, Henry McNulty, survives, and a son of Henry named Louis McNulty, of Dubuque, Iowa, who has one sister, Katie. The children of Mrs. Burns, sister of Henry McNulty, are John Burns, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and Mrs. Amanda Kuhlman, wife of Samuel Kuhlman, of Somerset, Ohio, who has one son, Louis Kuhlman. McQUEEN, REV. CLAYBORNE S., M. D., post office, Rendville, Ohio, was born November 4, 1810, in Culpepper, Virginia, son of Robert and Hannah McQueen. The Dr. was brought up on a farm. Began teaching school at sixteen, and taught about eleven years. When about twenty-four began reading law but when about ready to be admitted to the bar, he decided to abandon the legal profession for that of medicine, selecting Dr. W. H. Reeves for preceptor, and attended Columbus Medical College. He began practice at Millerstown in June, 1849, and remained six years; practiced at Ringgold nine years, and near Wrightstown, Morgan county, where he located on a farm and remained until the spring of 1882, when he came to Rendville. Dr.
McQueen was married in the spring of 1842 to Miss Mary, daughter of Daniel and Catharine McQueen, of Newton township, Muskingum county, Ohio. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Frances Virginia, married to Josiah H. Coulter; Ellen Thompson, married to Joseph Ball, both living in Morgan county; Elizabeth Angeline, and Sarah Maria. The Dr., in 1870, was ordained and licensed to preach in the Christian Church, called by some, New Lights. During his six years connection with this organization he had charge of a district of seven counties. About the year 1876 he was licensed to preach by the Methodist Episcopal Conference, and continues to preach for this society. McSHANE, CHARLES, harness and saddlery, New Lexington, Ohio; was born in 1841, in Clayton township, son of Edward and Catharine (Mackin) McShane. Young McShane was brought up on the farm where he remained till about eighteen when he went to his trade. He established his present shop in 1866. Mr. McShane was married in November, 1869, to Miss Lucy, daughter of William and Mary (Fitzsimons) Bennett, of Pleasant township. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Mary, Catharine, Florence, Cecelia, Lizzie, deceased, Lucy, and an infant, deceased, not named. Mr. McShane's is an old established shop, doing a first-class business. McTEAGUE, NEIL T., M.D., of the firm of Dunn & McTeague, druggists, Rendville, Ohio, was born June 18, 1856, in Berks county, Pennsylvania, son of Hugh and Mary (Flynn) McTeague: When the Dr. was six years of age he came to Pike township, Perry county, Ohio, where he was brought up. In 1874 taught his first school in the Penrod school house, Bearfield township, and continued teaching for four years, and in 1878 commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Taggart, at New Lexington, Ohio, and was graduated in the spring of 1882 by the Medical College of Ohio. Dr. McTeague was married July 1, 1880, to Mary McHugh. They are the parents of one child, Thomas Joseph. The Dr. has been successful in his extensive practice in Rendville and vicinity. MACKIN, EDWARD, provision grocer,corner Main and Broad streets, New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Mackin was born June 23, 1828, in Gross, Maglen county, Arma, Ireland; son .of Patrick and Rose Ann (McNamee) Mackin. His parents brought him to this county when a child, and located in Monday Creek township. When a young man, Mr. Mackin learned the carpenter's trade, and followed it until 1859, when he established his present business in this place in company with his brother, James W. They conducted the business until 1873. Mr. Edward Mackin has conducted the business alone. He was married April 15, 1859, to Miss Catharine, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Scharchel) Kesler. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Rose Ann, Margaret Alveda, James Edward, Mary Loretta and Elizabeth Catharine, deceased. MAGRUDER, W. P.,editor Somerset Press, born in 1845, in Somerset. He served his apprenticeship as printer in the Democratic Union office in Somerset. In December, 1863, he and his brother, C. E. Magruder, a lawyer, now dead, purchased the paper. In December, 1864, he bought out his brother; in September, 1865, he sold out to C. D.
Elder, of Somerset; in Oct. 1866, Mr. Magruder and J. L. Caine started the Somerset Advocate; he sold out in two years to Mr. Kagay; in 1873 the Press was started by M. G. Mains, who ran it until 1877, when Mr. Magruder became the editor. The political faith of the Press is Greenback. Mr. Magruder was married in May, 1877, to Miss Belle Johnson, of Somerset; she was born in 1845. They are the parents of one child, Ray. MAINS, THOMAS S., farmer, Pike township, post office New Lexington, O., born February 10, 1827,in Reading township, this county; son of George and Hannah (Selby) Mains; was raised a farmer and has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. Frederick, father of George, and grandfather of Thomas S. Mains, came from Virginia to Ohio with his family, and settled in Reading township, this county, in 1812, where he lived to the time of his death. His son, George, was born in Virginia, February 26, 1790, and after his settlement in Reading township, remained upon the homestead until 1835, and was married September 19, 1815, to Hannah Selby, born July 8, 1794, in Maryland, daughter of Eli and Ruth (Shipley) Selby. They became the parents of four children, viz.: James, who moved to Wisconsin about 1853, where he enlisted in the Twenty-seventh Regiment, Wis. V. I., for three years, or during the war, and serving until the close of the war, was honorably discharged, but upon his way home took sick and died at Washington City, in the fall of 1865; Isaiah A., lived at home until September 10, 1845, when he departed this life at the age of twenty-four years and four months; Caroline M., was married December 23, 1847, to Henry Brown, son of Robert Brown, of Monroe township, this county. Mr. Brown died in the service of his country, at Nashville, Tennessee, in the fall of 1862, with lung disease; Mrs. Brown is now living in Cincinnati with her son, Isaiah M. Brown. Thomas, the subject of this sketch, and the youngest of the family, became the support of his parents in their declining years. After his marriage, and in 1835, he moved to Monroe township, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land upon which he lived until 1848, when he sold it, and bought one hundred and sixty acres in Saltlick township,where Shawnee now stands, and which he sold to his son, James, in 1849, who again sold it to Thomas S. Mains in 1850, who increased the farm to three hundred and sixty acres, which he sold to the Newark Coal and Iron Company in 1871, and bought three hundred and fifty acres of land where he now lives, and that he now owns, except twenty-two acres he has since sold. Since purchasing the home farm his parents made their home with him up to the time of their deaths. His father died March 30, 1875; aged eighty-five years, one month and four days; his mother died March 16, 1872, aged seventy-seven years, eight months and eight days. August 10, 1862, Mr. Mains, the subject of this sketch, enlisted in Company H, Ninetieth Regiment, O.V.I., for three years, or during the war, and was honorably discharged June 20, 1865, near Cincinnati, Ohio, by reason of the close of the war. Was engaged in the following battles: Stone River, Chickamauga, and up to Atlanta, Georgia, from where they were sent back to Nashville, Tennessee, and was engaged in the battle between Hood and Thomas. During the service he had the lung fever, which disabled him for duty six months, three months of which
time he was in Brigade Hospital. The disease permanently injured his health, and at this time he is not able to do any kind of work. While living in Saltlick township, he served as township trustee three years, and Justice of the Peace three years. Mr. Mains has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church since 1855, and is a trustee in the New Lexington Methodist Episcopal Church at this time. He was married May 4, 1851, to Sarah Hazelton, born in 1830, in this county, daughter of John and Jane (Traverse) Hazelton. They became the parents of four children, viz.: Isaiah A., who was married March 3, 1865, to Catharine, daughter of William and Amelia (Taylor) Adams; their home is in Crawford county, Iowa, but are at this time with Mr. Mains, on account of his feeble health; Hannah Jane, married to James B., son of Horace and Mary A., (Grimes) Wilson; they are residents of Crawford county, Iowa; Jno. H., married to Maggie, daughter of William and Amelia (Taylor) Adams; they are residents of Monona county, Iowa; and Mary A., also a resident of Crawford county, Iowa. In these two counties each of his children own two hundred acres of land. Mrs. Mains departed this life in the year of 1861, aged thirty- one years. Mr. Mains was married the second time December 31, 1865, to Catharine Richter, born July 5, 1832, in Frederick county, Maryland, daughter of John and (Katharine (Cookerly) Richter. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Florence M. and one infant. Mrs. Mains came to Ohio in 1833, with her parents, who settled in Monroe township, and where she lived at the time of her marriage. Her parents lived at the place of their settlement up to the time of their death. Her father, Jno. Richter, died September 30, 1881, at the age of eighty- four years, five months and twenty days, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. Her mother, Catharine (Cookerly) Richter,was born in Maryland, in 1806, and died June 23, 1864. Mrs. Mains became the member of the Presbyterian Church, in her eighteenth year, continuing her connection with that branch of the Christian Church until after her marriage, when she united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1872. MARLOW, JOHN H., was born in Monday Creek township. Perry county, Ohio, in 1837. His parents came from Virginia in 1730, and settled near Somerset, Perry county, Ohio; moved thence to near Rushville, Fairfield county, and after a residence of several years, moved to a farm near Maxville, Perry county. The family consisted of eight children, four boys and four girls, seven of whom are now living. The fifth child, John H., received his early education at Somerset, afterwards attended Denison University, Granville, Ohio; after leaving the University he taught school about fourteen years. He was married April 24, 1862, to Louisa Larimer. They have two children, Laura and Wayland. He was a member of the Board of Examiners for this county three years; resigned to take the office of Clerk of the Courts,to which he was elected October 1875, and has now served in that office two terms. MARLOW, JAMES P., farmer and merchant, Maxville, Ohio; was born December 20, 1844, in Monday Creek township, this county; son of Henson and Margaret (Holmes) Marlow. Was raised a farmer, and followed agricultural pursuits up to the present time. Has taught school one term in Gore, Hocking county, Ohio, and two terms in Monday
Creek township, this county. July 15, 1881, he came to this place, and in partnership with Henson W. Marlow, opened a store of general merchandise, and remains to this date. Mr. Marlow was married December 3, 1868, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of David and Susannah (Welty) Heidlebaugh. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Willie B., Charles Sumner, Lawrence, deceased, and Daisy Forest. Mr. Marlow's parents came to Ohio about the year 1830, and lived about two years near Somerset, and the same length of time in Rush Creek township, when they moved to Monday Creek township, where his father owned a farm of two hundred and thirty acres at the time of his death, which occurred March 5, 1881, in his seventy-eighth year, having lived in the county fifty-two years and in the above township forty- eight years. His mother departed this life August 2, 1871, in her sixty- fifth year. Mr. Marlow, the subject of this sketch, now owns one-half interest in the home farm at this time, which he still farms. MARTIN, JNO. W., clerk, Shawnee, Ohio.; was born January 18, 1844, in Fairview, Guernsey county, Ohio; son of Jacob and Jane (Lefevre) Martin. Mr. Martin was raised a farmer and followed agricultural pursuits until he was twenty-two years of age. He had moved to Hocking county, Ohio, with his father, where he was married to Phoebe, daughter of James and Nancy (Culp) Carpenter, February 7, 1867. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Anna B., James, Lewis, Jacob and William C., three of whom are dead, James, Lewis and Jacob. After his marriage he moved to Shawnee, and built the first business house of this place and sold the first goods, keeping a general stock of merchandise, and remained in the business over two years when he sold out to one William Huston. From that time to the present, .he has been employed as clerk in the store. Mr. Martin enlisted in 1863, in the late war, and served in the Army of the Potomac, with the Sixty-second Regiment, O. V. I., up to the close of the war, and was engaged in the battles of Deep Bottom, Hatcher's Run, in front of Petersburg, and in many skirmishes; he was present at General Lee's surrender. He was one of the men who were kept in Richmond after Johnson's surrender, and was connected with the citizens' commissary department, when the city was kept by the Government in provisions, and had under his care and supervision four hundred families, who obtained provision orders from him. MARTIN, HENRY M., butcher, post office, New Lexington, Ohio; was born May 26, 1851, in Richland township, Fairfield county. He came to this county when but two years of age. He is a son of Ellison and Sarah B. (McLaughlin) Martin. Henry M. remained on the farm where he was brought up until he was elected sheriff of Perry county, in 1878. He served until January, 1881. In December, 1880, the present firm was formed. Sheriff Martin was married December 22, 1870, to Miss Missouri C., daughter of Andrew S. and Eliza (Spenny) Baker. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Ellison E. and Emma. During Sheriff Martin's term of office the Corning war occurred, for the suppression of which he was compelled to call on the State Guards. MASON, JOHN, collier, post office, Shawnee, Ohio; was born December 10, 1826, in Northumberland, England; son of John and Margaret (Morse) Mason. Was raised in the place of his nativity, where
he was employed mining, with the exception of one year, during the time he remained in England. Emigrated to America in 1853, landing in New York, from where he went to Pittsburgh, at which place he remained about five months, from where he went to Columbia, West Virginia, and remained two years. Going to Mason City, he remained about four months, from where he went to Pomeroy, Ohio, which he made his home until 1872, but was about six months in Belleville and Danville. In 1872, he spent about two months in Nelsonville, Ohio, when he came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he has made his home to the present time. Since coming to this place he has made a trip to Virginia, and was prospecting in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, for iron ore, which he found in paying quantities. Mr. Mason enlisted in Company A, 4th Regiment, Va. V. I., in 1861, for three years, or during the war, and served three years and two months, when he was discharged by reason of expiration of enlistment. Was engaged in the following battles: Charleston, Virginia; Vicksburg, and was the first to speak about blowing up Vicksburg; assisted in drifting for that purpose, but the city was surrendered before the preparations were completed; Jackson, Mississippi; Mission Ridge, Tuscumbia, and Dallas, under fire six days and nights, without cessation, at this place. After receiving his discharge he returned home. Mr. Mason was married in February, 1846, to Barbara, daughter of Joseph and Barbara (Tate) King, of Northumberland, England. They are the parents of seven living children, viz.: Joseph, Thomas, Mary Ann, John, Elizabeth, William, and Lillie; and five deceased, viz.: John, William, Margaret, and two died in infancy. They have also raised a grandchild--- Thomas Bailey. MASON, REV. JOHN, minister of Princeton Methodist Church; was born December 16, 1851, in Boltingate, county of Cumberland, England, son of William and Jane (Campbell) Mason. Mr. Mason was raised in the coal mining districts of Northumberland and Durham counties of England. Mines in that region are principally shafts, from fifty to one hundred fathoms deep. He was employed until 1877, and during the last four years he was what is known in that country as deputy over a number of men. Came to America at the time he severed his connection at these places, in 1877, landing in New York, by the Cunard line of steamers, from where he went to the Sequatchie valley, Victoria mines, Marion county, Tennessee. Mr. Mason was licensed as a local preacher at the early age of eighteen years, and served in that station until 1877, at which time he was licensed as a ministerial supply, and supplied the following places: In Tennessee, about three months; at Steubenville, Ohio, eight months. Upon account of too slack a support at the latter place he again returned to mining, and engaged at Ramy's coalery, where he remained two months, when he was called to Niles, Trumbull county, Ohio, as a supply, where he remained from December, 1878, to April, 1879, at which time he was licensed as a minister on probation and sent to Shawnee, Ohio, where he has remained up to this time. Upon coming to this place he found the church in a confused condition, and, by persistent effort, he has advanced the numbers from five to forty-five members, who now remain at this charge. Quite a number have removed from the vicinity, thereby
lessening the actual numbers taken into the church. During a revival of 1881 there were eighty souls converted, and he has taken into church connection, since coming to this place, one hundred and seventy-seven members. Straitsville was taken in by him as a mission charge, and has become self-sustaining, employing and supporting its own minister. There have been sent out from the Shawnee charge two ministers, viz.: Revs. Thomas Large and James Rogers. At the conference of 1880, at Tamaqua, Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, Mr. Mason was accredited with one year of supply work, as if on probation, on account of his decided success in the ministry, which brought him one year sooner into full ministerial connection. Rev. Mason was married February 16, 1872, to Jane, daughter of John and Maria (Maughan) Ayer, of Giles, Gatemore, one mile from the city of Durham, England. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Jennie, John, Thomas, and Marianna, living; and one, Maria, deceased. MATHEWS, JAMES, farmer, post office, Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio; born in Muskingum county, in 1809; settled in Perry county in 1851; son of George and Anna (Jennings) Mathews; married, in 1840, to Miss Mary McClain, daughter of Benjamin McClain. They have four children, viz.: Anna, Hannah, Parmelia, Jerusha. They are all married, one living in Missouri. Mr. Mathews was brought up on a farm, which vocation he has always followed. MATHEWS, FRANKLIN, butcher, post office, Rendville, Ohio; born December 25, 1829, near Zanesville, Ohio, son of Reuben H. and Mary (Hemrick) Mathews. Brought up on a farm, where he remained until twenty-one. He then followed a variety of business until he engaged in general merchandising, to which he added a meat market; also was engaged in the coal trade, at the same time, with his brother. Came to Perry county about the year 1871, and continued his business at New Lexington, until March, 1880, when he established his present business at this place. Mr. Mathews was married September 30, 1852, to Miss Eliza Horton, whose parents were natives of Virginia. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Charles Henry, Lucy Ellen, Clara Annie, Lewis Grant; these four are deceased: William Howard and Mary Viola are now living. Mr. Mathews is doing a good business. MAUTZ, W. H., carpenter, post office, Shawnee, Ohio; was born February 22, 1856, in Blue Rock, Muskingum county, Ohio; son of John and Margaret (Udenhoffer) Mautz. Was raised a farmer, and followed farming until he was sixteen years of age, when he left home, and has been engaged at the following places: Henry county, Ohio, working in a saw mill about one year; Somerset, Ohio, on railroad six months; Garret City, Indiana, on railroad; while railroading was with the Baltimore and Ohio; Clinton, Iowa, house carpentering six months; Dixon, Illinois, two or three months, carpentering; Toledo, Ohio, one year at trade; Woodville, six months at trade; Shawnee, Ohio, at New York furnace four months, carpentering; XX furnace from that time to the present, about three years. Was married May 1, 1880, to Mary C., daughter of Samuel and Louisa (Lafevre) Snyder, of Athens county, Ohio. MECHLING, PETER, farmer, miller, and carpenter, post office, Glenford, Ohio; was born 1827, in Hopewell township; son of Peter
Mechling and grandson of Jacob Mechling, both deceased in Hopewell township. The maiden name of his mother was Mary Downour, who died in her seventy-seventh year, while her husband died when his son Peter was only five years of age. Their children were, Sally, wife of Jason Canfield, Rochester, Indiana; Katharine, wife of D. C. Shelly, Glenford, Ohio; Jacob, deceased, leaving a son, Alfred, Tippecanoe, Indiana; John, deceased; Eliza Dumbolt, deceased; Melancthon, Rochester, Indiana; Margaret, wife of George Shelly, Glenford; and Peter, who was married February, 1855, to Miss Elnora Hardy, daughter of Thomas Hardy, deceased, and Sarah his wife, whose maiden name was Bagley, a native of Virginia. Their children are, Thomas Jefferson, merchant, Thurston, Fairfield county, Ohio; Mary E., Clement Layerd, Melancthon, Cordelia, Sarah Aurilla, Fenton, Dillon, Cora May, and Edgar Austin. Mr. Mechling is an old-time Lutheran and Democrat, and sustains the well earned reputation of his family history. He has, besides rearing a family, added to his estate, and, like many other Ohioans, looked into Virginia and found her, in the present condition, an inviting field for industry, capital, and enterprise. MECHLING, BERNARD, was born 1837, on a part of the extensive homestead now owned by him in Hopewell township. He is a son of Samuel, the youngest son of Jacob Mechling, who came from Pennsylvania in 1816, and purchased a-farm for each of his twelve children. His sons were Jacob, Peter, Frederick, John, George and Samuel, all of whom lived and died here, except John, who deceased in Sandusky, Ohio, and George, who is the only survivor of six brothers. The daughters were Hester, wife of William Mechling; Mary, wife of Frederick K. Slife; Hannah, wife of Peter Cooperider; Phebe, who died young; Elizabeth, wife of Jacob Smith, and Sarah, wife of Rev. David Long, who died of cholera in 1833. The mother of these six sons and six daughters was, prior to her marriage, Miss Mary Otterman. The wife of Samuel Mechling died, and the mother of Bernard was, prior to marriage, Miss Magdalena Poorman, daughter of the late venerable Bernard Poorman. She is still living, a venerable widow, in separate apartments of the mansion lately erected by her son, Bernard, in full possession of her faculties. Since the late purchase of the ancestral homestead of grandfather Mechling, Bernard Mechling has about four hundred acres of splendid land in one body, nearly two hundred acres being bottom land, in sight of, and one half mile from Glenford. He was twice married, first to Miss Margaret Humberger, daughter of John Humberger, of Thorn township. The children by this marriage are Owen H. and Albert Wesley Mechling. Their mother deceased in 1863. The second marriage was to Miss Leah A. Zartman, daughter of Isaac, whose wife's maiden name was Rebecca, daughter of Peter King. The children of this marriage are Mary Estella, now twelve years of age, Sylvia R., deceased, and Homer Calvin, now five years of age. He and his wife have each enjoyed good opportunities for education; she in her girlhood having taught school and he, in his boyhood, having attended the Somerset Academy, under the tuition of that old-time, but most accomplished, teacher and gentleman, Charles Nourse. Bernard Mechling is among the very foremost farmers of the county, has thoroughly studied and applied the
science of drainage to his lands, and is intelligently devoted to the breeding and rearing of fine stock. MELOY, WILLIAM T., of the firm of Elder. Wards & Co., dry goods and merchant tailoring, Main street, New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Meloy was born November 13, 1843, in this place; son of William and Sophia (Thompson) Meloy. Young Meloy, in early life, clerked in a dry goods store and taught school sixteen months. He, subsequently, became traveling salesman for a tobacco house, with which he was engaged five years, also traveling five years in the sale of stoves and plows. He was the first man to enlist in Company I, One Hundred and Fourteenth, O. V. I., but was rejected on account of being then under size. He worked two years as a typo in the Herald office of this place. In April, 1879, he became partner in the above firm. Mr. Meloy was married July 5, 1870, to Miss Hattie M., daughter of Charles J. and Cornelia (Acker) Brush. They are parents of five children, viz.: Iva L., Maggie W., Sophe T., William T. and Callie Rich. His father, William Meloy, met with a fatal accident early one morning in October, 1882. He was struck by the cow-catcher of the Ohio Central passenger train, between seven and eight o'clock, Monday morning, near the crossing of Rush Creek, close to the water tank, receiving such injuries therefrom that he died in about an hour thereafter. Mr. Meloy was driving a cow, and had just got her across the track, when he looked up, saw the train close upon him, threw up his hands, but was so dazed or bewildered, that he took no step to get out of danger. The whistle sounded and the power of the engine reversed, but it was too late. Mr. Meloy was struck by the cow-catcher, and fell in such away as to remain upon it, though the conductor had hold of him before the train stopped. A hack was near at hand which was at once called, and the unfortunate man taken, in a dying condition, to his home on Jackson street, where he soon after expired. There appeared to be no broken bones or serious bruises, but the internal injuries were such, that there was no reaction, and the injured man remained in an unconscious condition from the time of the accident until his death. Deceased was about seventy-one years of age. He was a native of Pennsylvania, but came to Ohio when quite a young man. He became a citizen of New Lexington in 1839, and resided here ever since, with the exception of a temporary residence at Somerset, while he was County Auditor. He left a wife, three sons and four daughters to mourn his sudden departure. His third son, Smallwood A. Meloy, died from injuries received upon the same railroad, between this place and Moxahala, while acting as brakeman in 1876. He was brought to the same house, in an unconscious condition, and died within a few hours. Mr. Meloy was an intelligent man, a worthy citizen, and had filled many positions of public trust with credit to himself and the public. He was Justice of the Peace of Pike township about forty years ago, and held the same position at the time of his death. As a capable and impartial Justice, he was excelled by none in the county. He was a number of times Mayor of the town, member of the Board of Education, and was elected County Auditor in 1852, and re-elected in 1854. He has also been County Treasurer, by appointment. It is only justice to say that he was faithful and capable in all. When the accident and
sudden death became known, there was not only horror at the sudden and violent taking off of an old citizen, but an unfeigned and deep regret that William Meloy was dead. MEREDITH, THOMAS, collier, Shawnee Ohio; was born December 7, 1842, in Monmouthshire, England. He was raised on a farm until the age of ten years. At twelve years of age he lost both his father and mother, there being only about seven weeks difference in the time of their deaths. After this he began mining at Georhay coal mines, where he remained until 1868, when he emigrated to America, setting sail from Liverpool on the eighth of April, and landed in New York on the nineteenth of the same month, and reached Pomeroy, Ohio, April 22, where he engaged in mining until September, 1872, at which time he went to Shawnee, Ohio, and since has been in Manly mine six months, when he engaged as one of the first minors with the Upton Coal Company, where he has remained up to this time. Mr. Meredith was married May 20, 1867, to Rachel, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Davis) Slocumbe. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Alfred, Amelia and Harriet living, and three deceased, viz.: Philip, Sarah Ann and Agnes. MEREDITH, J. P., collier, Shawnee, Ohio; was born May 14, 1852, in Argo, Monmouthshire, England, son of Philip and Winifred Meredith. Mr. Meredith was left an orphan at the age of two years, and was raised by the senior member of his father's family, who still kept house in Argo, where he remained until he was sixteen years of age, three years of which time he was engaged in mining. In 1869 he emigrated to America, landing at New York City, from where he went to Pomeroy, Meigs county, Ohio, and engaged in mining until 1872, when he came to Shawnee, Ohio, and where he remained up to this time, having been engaged in mining. Mr. Meredith was married January 8, 1846, to Sarah E., daughter of Owen and Harriet (Price) Jones. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Arthur, Owen and Winifred. In 1878, Mr. Meredith was elected Corporation Clerk, which position he holds at this time. MESCHENMOSER, REV. PHILIP, pastor of St. Rose's Church, New Lexington, Ohio, was born August 7, 1836, in Augsberg, Bavaria, Germany; son of Philip and Annie (Dietrich) Meschenmoser. He was educated at St. Stephen's College, Augsberg, Germany. His philosophical and theological education was obtained from the Jesuit Fathers. He was ordained Priest by the Bishop Martin of Paelerbern. He came to America in 1873, and was assistant Priest at Buffalo, New York, from 1873 to 1876, in which year he took charge of the St. Rose congregation, of this place. Also, at the same time, discharged the office of Chaplain of St. Aloysius Academy, near the town. During his services here he has built the present church and residence of the priest. METZGER, JACOB, farmer, son of Michael and Apolona Metzger, was born August 2, 1833, in this county; has since lived in the county. His life has chiefly been spent on the farm; was married in 1863 to Miss Mary E., daughter of Simon and Nancy (Jackson) Snyder. They are the parents of nine children, viz.: Manaleta R., Laura R., Michael J., Thomas E., Mary M., Robert J., Charles V., William H., Hugh. His parents were natives of Germany.
MICKLETHWAITE, ALFRED, village coal operator, Shawnee, Ohio, was born in March, 1837. in Thornhill, Yorkshire, England, son of Joseph and Annie (Lockwood) Micklethwaite. Alfred left England, July 4, 1865, and located in Jackson, Maryland, where he remained until 1873, when he came to Shawnee. Mr. Micklethwaite was first married, June 1, 1858, to Miss Annie, daughter of George and Annie Benson, of Lancashire, England. They became the parents of seven children, three deceased and four living, viz.: Eliza, married to Harry Kear; Horatio, Joseph and Alfred. Mrs. Micklethwaite died in 1871. Mr. Micklethwaite was again married to Miss Sarah Anne, daughter of John and Anne (Taylor) Moore, natives of Yorkshire, England. Mr. and Mrs. Micklethwaite have an adopted daughter, Mary, whose father's name is John Loyd. MIDDAGH, ENOS, born 1835, is a son of Thomas and grandson of Major John Middagh, who came from New Jersey in 1807, and was the father of Peter, Thomas, Samuel and John Middagh, Mary Fosythe, Sarah Shaeffer, Nancy Wright, Matilda Brookhart and Esther Middagh. Thomas was married in 1831 to Margaret Davis. Their children are John, Enos, Athalinda, Sarah Alice, Matilda and David. Enos, the subject of this sketch, was married to Melzena, daughter of the late venerable Isaac Pence, and owns the ancient Pence homestead, now no less distinguished for its hospitality than in the days of its honored proprietor, who rescued it from the wilderness; and the neat family mansion, backed by a well preserved exterior, testify that it has not fallen into unworthy hands. Isaac Pence was born in 1794; came to Ohio in 1806; enlisted in the War of 1812 at Newark, under Captain John Spencer; came back to Somerset to work as a journeyman blacksmith; was married in 1816 to Katharine, sister of Judge Heck. His father's name was Peter, born in Germany; his mother's name was Katharine Godfrey, born in Ireland. Her first husband was killed by the Indians; was a member of the United Brethren Church fifty-one years. When he first joined church the preacher's circuit was two hundred miles round. Enos Middagh was a member of Company K, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Regiment, O. V. I., and became attached to the famous Sixth Corps, which, when with Sheridan, always made him feel confident of victory. He was wounded at Spottsylvania by a musket ball that passed through his chest, after seven days of hard fighting. His company had fifty-nine men when it crossed the Rapidan, and the call of the captain, on the 13th of May, 1864, showed only thirteen left to answer. The New Testament he carried when wounded; the badge of his corps, and a fragment or his regimental flag, are treasured as sacred relics. His wife and three daughters, with an orphan boy obtained from the Home in Columbus, constitute his family. MILLER, LEVI, potter by trade, post office Buckeye Cottage; born in Columbus, Ohio, in 1834; came to Perry county in 1844; son of George and Mary (Smithers) Miller. The former died in Miami county, Ohio, about the year 1871; the latter in 1834. He was married in 1858 to Miss Anna McAntire. They are the parents of nine children, viz.: Josie F., Mary, Kate, James S., John C., Ida R., Bertha A., Blanche M., Georgia E.---one married. Mr. Miller enlisted in the War of the Rebellion in 1861, Company G, Thirty-first Regiment, O.
V. I., Captain Jackson, Army of the Cumberland. He was engaged in the following battles, viz.: Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca; also all the principal battles during the siege of Atlanta. He was a veteran, and served till the close of the war, getting an honorable discharge. Mrs. Miller's grandfather was in the War of 1812. Her father was from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He died in 1872. MILLER, F. G.,shoemaker and sewing machine agent. New Straitsville, Ohio; was born March 28, 1845, in Hocking county, Ohio; son of William and Susan (Judy) Miller. Was raised on a farm to the age of ten years, when his father moved to Logan, Ohio, and engaged at his trade of furniture manufacturing. Frank G. lived with his father at this place, and at the age of eighteen years went to the shoemaker's trade with Joseph Kinley, remaining with him for more than two years. After the Rebellion broke out he volunteered his services some three different times; twice was rejected on account of his not being large enough to fill the required measure, and the third time, which occurred during his apprenticeship, on account of disability. After leaving his trade, he went to Geneva, Brush Creek township, Fairfield county, Ohio, where he opened and remained in the boot and shoe business about four years. During his stay at this place he was married November 28, 1867, to Miss Nancy Blosser, who was born February 2, 1844, in Fairfield county, Ohio, daughter of Isaac and Margaret (Pepple) Blosser. They are the parents of nine children, viz.: Charles, who died at the age of seven years; William Isaac, Mary Jane, Anna Zelia, Charlotte, who died at eleven months of age; Gertrude, Margaret, James and Elizabeth. Mr. Miller moved to this place May 22, 1871, and opened out in the boot and shoe business, in which he has remained up to this present time. In November, 1881, he took the agency of the New Home sewing machine, one of the finest in the market, a supply of which he keeps constantly on hand with all the fixtures and attachments thereto. Mr. Miller is one of the oldest citizens of New Straitsville, coming here when it was in its infancy and only seven houses on Front street, and they on the north side, and has seen it grow to its present size of about three thousand inhabitants. He served two years as a member of Town Council from 1878 to 1880, and is a member at this time, being elected in April of 1882. MINAUGH, JNO. D., farmer, New Lexington, Ohio; was born March 20, 1846, in this county; son of John and Bridget (Dougherty) Minaugh. He was raised a farmer and has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life up to the present time. Mr. Minaugh lived with his father until 1870, when he went into business for himself. In connection with farming he was engaged about five years in mining iron ore, and also assessed this township two years. He is at this time township trustee. Mr. Minaugh's father was born in Ireland in county Cavan, and emigrated to America in his sixteenth year, and settled near Albany, New York, where he engaged at blacksmithing with one Simmons, in manufacturing axes, turning them by hand, remaining three years at this place, after which he went to Somerset, this county, where he was employed at his trade until 1840, and at this time moved to one mile west of Bristol,this county, where he bought eighty acres of land, that is now owned by his nephew, General Phil. Sheridan, and where he lived up to
the time of his death, which occurred in November, 1876. Mr. Minaugh's mother was born in 1824, in or near Baltimore, Maryland, and came to Ohio with her parents at an early age, and when this country was a wilderness, and was raised in Jackson township, this county, where her parents settled, and which was her home at the time of her marriage. Her death occurred in 1858, while she was in her thirty- fourth year. Mr. Minaugh, the subject of this sketch, was married November l, 1870, to Miss Sarah Dimond, born February 5, 1845, in this. Pike, township, daughter of Daniel and Mary (MacGahan) Dimond. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Joseph F., Mary. Rose V., Phil. M. and Francis B. MINER, D. L., cooper, Shawnee, Ohio; was born December 20, 1835, in Perry county, Ohio, near Somerset; son of Jacob and Mary (Ferguson) Miner. Was brought up on a farm, and followed agricultural pursuits until the age of sixteen or seventeen years, when he moved with his father to Brownsville, Licking county, Ohio, where he began the cooper trade, serving with his brother one year, after which he worked at journey work until the breaking out of the war in 1861. He enlisted July 18, 1861, for three years, or during the war, in Company C, Twenty-seventh Regiment, O. V. I., and served seven months, when he was discharged because of disability. Returning home, he followed his trade about two months; recruiting his health, he re-enlisted for three years, or during the war, in Company A, Tenth O.V.C.. about the first of May, 1862, and served until the close of the war, and was engaged in the battles of Athens, North Carolina; Resaca, Georgia, where he was wounded in the thigh, causing him to lose about two months from the service, at which time he again joined his company, and remained to the close of the war. He was in Sherman's march to the sea. Upon again being discharged, he returned home and engaged at coopering in the winter season and farming in summer, for about three years. At the end of that time, he came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he has been engaged in coal mining till the present time. Mr. Miner was married December 14, 1865, to Frances, daughter of Abram and Mary (Kasterd) Vreeland. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Maudie, Claudius and Mary, all living and at home. MITCHELL, JAMES L., merchant, Sego. He was born February 26, 1844, in Bearfield township; is a son of John and Nancy (Wise) Mitchell. He was reared on a farm, which vocation he pursued until 1862. He enlisted in Company F, Thirtieth Regiment, serving three and one-half years. Mr. Mitchell moved to his present residence in April, 1866, and in 1870, established his present business. He has a well stocked store, keeping a full supply of dry goods, groceries, notions, etc. He was married December 16, 1868, to Sarah, daughter of Philip and Catharine (Mann) Baker. They have three children, viz.: Elmer G., William B., and Irvin. MONAHAN, JAMES W., baker, grocer, confectioner and wholesale dealer in beer, oysters and ice cream. Corning, Ohio; was born March 13, 1846, in Union township, Morgan county, Ohio; son of Thomas and Margaret (Haley) Monahan. James W. was brought up on the farm, where he remained until nineteen years of age, when he began attending school, and clerking in store for about two years. In 1867,
he established a general merchandising store at Chapel Hill, Ohio, where he remained until 1875, when he moved to New Lexington, Ohio, and continued his business there until the spring of 1881, when he came to Corning Ohio, and established his present business. Mr. Monahan was married February 4, 1873, to Miss Tuce, daughter of James J. and Jane (Sinclair) Wolford, of Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Jennie Gertrude and John Virgil. MONAHAN, THOMAS, Pleasant township; post office, Moxahala, Ohio. He has spent the most of his life as an engineer on the railroad, but is now a farmer. He was born in Sligo county, Ireland, March 25, 1848. Son of John and Bridget (O'Garo) Monahan, both natives of Ireland. He emigrated to this country in 1867, located in Chicago, and worked in a machine shop there. He went on the railroad in 1868, and was fireman on an engine; remained on that road eight months; was then fireman on an engine on the Pan Handle, one year; then he got an engine to run, which position he held until 1873. He then ran a yard engine on the Muskingum Valley, and made an occasional trip on the road. Then he went on the B. & O. R. R. He took a trip West; was assistant engineer at the furnace of the Normal School of Cook county, Illinois; and subsequently ran the engine at the Chicago stock yards, after which he returned to Moxahala and had charge of the iron furnace engine there. He married Mrs. Graham in February, 1878. MONTGOMERY, J. W., wholesale and retail grocery, Main street, New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Montgomery was born July 7, 1850, in this place; son of Eli and Rachel Ann (Calhoon) Montgomery. Eli Montgomery was one of the first settlers of this place, and his father a pioneer of the county. In 1868, J.W.Montgomery went to Zanesville, Ohio, and was, for four years, in the employ of the B. & 0. R. R. Co. there. In 1872 he returned to this place and established his present business. He was married January 7, 1875, to Miss Mary E., daughter of William and Sophia A. (Thompson) Meloy. They are the parents of three children, viz.: John Rich, Philip Newton and George. MOONEY, JAMES, weighmaster at W. P. Rend & Co.'s mines, Rendville, Ohio; born July 6, 1856, in Monroe township, Perry county, Ohio; son of Hugh, deceased, and Elizabeth (Bennett) Mooney. His father was a native of Ireland, and his mother of America. He was brought up on the farm until twenty years of age, when he accepted his present position. MOORE, DANIEL, farmer; post office, Somerset, Ohio; born, 1813, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania; son of William Moore, who came to Perry county in 1817, and deceased in Clayton township, 1819. Daniel's mother was Elizabeth King, who after the death of her husband, resided with her son, to the year 1867, when she died at the age of eighty-three. She was a cousin of Judge King, the first Representative of Perry county in the Ohio Legislature, and died in full fellowship of the Baptist Church. Daniel was married in the year 1837, to Miss Maria Kenard, who died in 1840, leaving an only son, Alvah, and her husband, who has ever since remained a widower. This family of Moores is of Irish-German, descent. From his grandfather, Daniel Moore, Sr., Daniel, Jr., received in 1821, the money with which to purchase
the land from the government, which he occupied near Straitsville, and which was sold in 1870 to T. J. Maginnis, Esq., at $100 per acre. Mr. Moore, to encourage the railroad, had signed two different contracts, donating the undivided half of the mineral on this one hundred and sixty acre farm, and so earnest and honest was he in this intention that he offered to sign a third contract, when it was supposed that the previous ones were defective. He sold the land by warranty, but held a guarantee from the buyer that no recourse would be had on the seller because of such contracts, should they prove good. In 1863, his son, Alvah, married Miss Anzela Pergon, who is now the mother of Sarah Maria, Mary Alice, William Henry, and Harmar Lewis Moore, all living, and one son deceased. She is a member of the Baptist church, and a lady distinguished for her kindness to the sick, and for her neighborly virtues. Daniel Moore's first vote was cast for Martin Van Buren in 1836, and has been uniformly Democratic since then. He bought the Caywood farm, near Somerset, and in 1881, aided by his son, built a splendid brick dwelling. MOORE, G. W., Justice of the Peace, New Lexington, Ohio; was born May 19, 1822, in Clayton township, this county, son of George and Rachel (Guy) Moore. Mr. Moore was raised upon a farm and followed farming until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to the wool-carding trade, which he followed for six years; at first engaging with Law & Carroll, near New Lexington, with whom he continued three years; was one year at Oakfield and two years in Hocking county, Ohio, where he started a carding machine of his own, continuing as above stated, when he sold out and again went to farming, which he continued four years. In 1850, he moved into Harrison township, this county, where he lived two years and was engaged in the stone quarry business; from there he went to Saltillo, where he lived until 1862, engaged in the boot and shoe business. During the time he lived in Clayton township he served nearly eighteen years as Justice of the Peace. He moved to Uniontown in 1862, where he kept hotel two years, and again returned to Saltillo, where he lived when he was elected County Recorder, in October of 1874, and moved to New Lexington in December of same year, where he lived until September, of 1882, having been re-elected at the expiration of his first term of office, and served six years in all. In September, of 1881, he was elected Justice of the Peace in New Lexington, and continued in that office until September, 1882, when he moved to within two miles of that place, on the road leading to Somerset, where he purchased eighty acres of land. Mr. Moore was married October 8, 1845, to Harriet, daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Burley) Richards, of Harrison township, this county. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Rachel Catharine, James Madison, deceased, at eight months; Jacob Richards, Jesse Heber, Edward Elbridge, Alvah Franklin and Etta Lizzie. Mr. Moore's father was one of the first settlers of Clayton township, he and two of his brothers entering one hundred and sixty acres of land each in section No. 12, where he lived and died, September 20, 1845, at about seventy-two years of age. When he entered this land their nearest neighbor, except those brothers in that section, for they all entered at the same time, was five miles distant. He
was a very tine marksman, at one time killing forty-seven deer in three weeks. At one time, when with his son, G. W., he killed three deer without moving from his tracks. At that time, all kind of game was plenty, such as bears, wolves, panthers, wild turkeys, etc. Mr. Moore was a very quiet and peaceable citizen, a hearty, rugged fron- tiersman, and raised a family of nine children, five boys and four girls, the subject of this sketch being the youngest boy. MOORE, GEORGE, merchant; post office, Buckeye Cottage; born in Perry county, in 1824, son of Robert and Rebecca (Claypool) Moore. The former was born in Pennsylvania; the latter in Virginia. The father of the subject of this sketch died in 1832; his mother in 1878. The subject of this sketch was married in 1852, to Miss Mariah Amrine, daughter of John and Martha (Brooks) Amrine. They are the parents of six children, viz.: Joseph L., John H., George W., William, P. B., Cyrus B. He has been in the mercantile business about twenty- two years. MOORE, W. S., Pike township, New Lexington, Ohio; farmer and wheelwright; was born October 31, 1827, in Washington county, Pennsylvania; son of William and Isabelle (Rogers) Moore. Mr. Moore was raised a farmer, but learned the wheelwright trade, at which he was engaged up to his twenty-fifth year, when he again took up agriculture, continuing thereat until the War of the Rebellion broke out, when he enlisted in his country's cause, September 4, 1862, for three years, and served until February 1, 1864, at this date being discharged in New Orleans, from reason of disability. During his term of enlistment, he fought in the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs, Arkansas Post, Grand Gulf, Thompson Hills, Champion Hills, Big Black, and in the charge upon Vicksburg. He was married March 11, 1852, to Rebecca A., daughter of James and Nancy (Moore) Adams, of Guernsey county, Ohio. Mr. Moore came to Perry county in 1831, and to New Lexington March 2, 1881, where he now lives. MOORE, JAMES L., farmer; Bearfield township, McLuney post office; born on the farm where he now resides, in 1834; son of William C. and Jane (Bool) Moore, both of Irish descent. His father came to this township in 1827, and located on the farm where his son, James L., now resides. He moved to Guernsey county in 1861, and died there. The subject of this sketch, in 1869, married Rebecca Forsythe, of Cambridge, Ohio, daughter of Robert and Sarah (Frame) Forsythe, of Irish descent. They are the parents of the following named children: L. L., born April 20, 1870; Sadie L., born September 19, 1871; John C., born February 28, 1874; Laura J., born May 5, 1876; James C. H., born December 25, 1878. MOORE, JOHN H., farmer, Madison township, post office Sego. He was born in this township, June 8, 1842; is a son of Calvin and Harriet E. (Ford) Moore. He was brought up on a farm, and has always followed farming and stock raising. Mr. Moore enlisted August 13, 1860, in Company H, Ninetieth Regiment, and served two years, returning unharmed. October 25, 1867, he was married to Miss Periscilia Chilcole, daughter of Joshua and Catherine (Shaw) Chilcole. Mr. and Mrs. Moore are the parents of five children: Walter S., Charges N., Sarah A., Martha H., and Mary E. Mr. Moore owns
one hundred and twenty-eight acres of good land, which he has in an excellent state of cultivation. MOORE, C. G., dealer in hardware, stoves, tinware, shingles, doors, sash, lumber, paints and oils. Junction City, Ohio; son of Andrew and Louise (Raynor) Moore; born in this county September 27, 1846; was a farmer boy till eighteen years of age, when he went into the dry goods business as clerk, in Maxville, Perry county, then clerk in New Lexington with Colonel Free; was there about a year, then was a contractor on the railroad for four years. He located here in October, 1873, and established his present business, and has the best stock in town and a good trade. He was married in February, 1870, to Miss Mary C., daughter of Joel D. and Eliza (Vanatta) Elder. They are the parents of three children, living, viz.: Keturah B., William H., and Lois Viola. Mr. Moore's father was a Captain in the Mexican War, and was Captain of home guards for several years. He was presiding officer of the guards at the time Work was hung at Somerset, this county, for the murder of a boy. He was of German and Irish descent. MOORE, ALVAH F., Chicago, Illinois. Very prominent among Perry county's most promising young men stands the name of A. F. Moore. Though still young, he has shown an aptitude and capacity for business seldom seen. He is the youngest son of G. W. and Harriet (Richards) Moore, both of whom are now living, residents of New Lexington. A. F. was born in the village of Saltillo, this county, June 10, 1860. Giving early promise of aptitude beyond his years he attended the village school until fourteen years of age, when, his father having been elected to the office of County Recorder, he removed with him to New Lexington. At this age he entered the high room of the public schools at that place, where he remained until he graduated at the age of sixteen, also filling the position of deputy under his father during this time. At the age of fourteen he was granted a certificate to teach. At the age of seventeen he began teaching, a vocation he followed for three successive winters. In the meantime he was employed by the County Commissioners to make a complete record and plat of all the towns in the county. This work occupied his time for one year, and when completed was pronounced the finest specimen of pen work ever placed on record in the county. It is now on record in the County Recorder's office, and is a work of which any one should feel proud. He then began traveling for a Chicago firm, which he followed for eighteen months, when he returned to New Lexington, formed a copartnership with Mr. J. W. Dusenbury, and founded the newspaper known as The Independent. This enterprise proved a most decided success, in which he continued for one year, when he sold his interest to his partner to accept the management of one of the largest publishing houses in Chicago, in which capacity he is still employed. Mr. Moore was married December 6, 1881, to Miss Sack, only daughter of William and Elizabeth Martineau, of Roseville, Ohio. MOREHEAD, TURNER ELIAS, hardware, tin shop, stoves, etc., Main street. New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Morehead was born September 3, 1820, in Fauquier county, Virginia; son of Charles and Susannah (Barbey) Morehead. His father died when Turner was but eight years old. At fifteen, he, with his mother's family, came to Somerset, this county,
and he went to the blacksmith trade, and followed it about sixteen years, excepting one year's schooling, when about nineteen years of age. In 1853, he came to this place and followed his trade, until 1856, when he established his present business, being the first establishment of the kind in the place. Mr. Morehead has been successful in his business, having a fine stock of goods in his line, and a good farm which he also oversees near this place. Mr. Morehead was married October 2, 1845, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Robert and Nancy (Glass ford) Brown. They are the parents of seven children, viz.: Owen Robert, Elizabeth, deceased; Charles Albert, Edward Newton, Otto Turner, deceased; Clara Belle and Elmer Grant. Mr. Morehead began life for himself, a poor orphan boy, but by honest industry and economy, he has obtained an ample competence. MORGAN, LEWIS, Shawnee, Ohio; was born July 14, 1833, in Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales; son of Lewis and Mary (Reese) Morgan. Was brought up in his native town, where he remained until he was twenty-six years of age, working in coal mines from his seventh year, as follows: Plymouth, Ruma, Dowlesey and Aberdare, from where he emigrated to America, coming to McKeesport, Pennsylvania, and has been employed on the following places: Freeport, Cannelton, Virginia, which place he left on account of war troubles, where his life was threatened, and where he made good his escape through a window, and reached Youngstown, Ohio, in safety, and went to Weathersville, Mahoning county, Ohio, where his family joined him, having come from Wales. Came then to Coalburg, Trumbull county, Ohio; and then to Hulburt; and was engaged in winter seasons in Iowa, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. Mr. Morgan was married November 21, 1854, to Mary Ann, daughter of Thomas and Catharine (Thomas) Jones, of Pendenlwyn Glamorganshire, Wales. They are the parents of six children, living, viz.: Martha, Catharine, Elizabeth, David, Edith, and Lewis. Mr. Morgan is engaged in business for himself in this place. MORGAN, WILLIAM A., Assistant Postmaster. Shawnee, Ohio; was born November 9, 1858, in Parkend, Gloucestershire, England; son of Alfred and Mary A. (Simmons) Morgan. While yet a youth, his parents brought him to America, landing in New York, August 20, 1871, whence they went to Phillipsburg, Pennsylvania, where they remained fifteen months, engaged in mining, and from there came direct to Shawnee, Ohio, arriving December 10, 1872, and has made this his home up to the present. Since coming here he has spent one year in Madison Academy, Mt. Perry, this county, the school year of 1877 and 1878; eighteen months at Ohio University, beginning in the fall of 1878; one year with his father as an iron ore contractor; and was employed in August, 1880, as Assistant Postmaster, where he has remained to this time. Mr. Morgan's father moved to Jackson county, Kansas, August, 1880, where he purchased a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits up to this time. His post office is Holton, Jackson county, Kansas. MOTZ, MICHAEL, proprietor family grocery and bakery, Main street, New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Motz was born November 6, 1845, in Knox county, Ohio, son of Philip and Barbara (Young) Motz, of German descent. In 1867, Mr. Motz established his business first in
Millersburg, Ohio, where he remained one year, when he came to this place, where he has continued his business to the present time. Mr. Motz was married March 19, 1867, to Miss Magdalena, daughter of John and Catharine (Derenberger) Ullman, of German ancestry. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Charles E., deceased; Clara, Catharine, James, Arthur, deceased, and Albert William. MULLEN, WILLIAM, farmer, Pike township; post office, New Lexington, Ohio; was born August 19, 1804, in county Tyrone, Ireland; son of Owen and Sarah (Harvey) Mullen. Mr. Mullen was raised a farmer, and has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life, except fourteen years he worked on public works, engaged on the Union Canal, and assisted in making the first tunnel that was made in the United States of America, on Union Canal, in Lebanon county, Penn- sylvania. Came to America in 1823, bringing with him his mother and sister, his father having died in Ireland when he was about fourteen years of age. Sailed from Belfast to New Brunswick, and from thence to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; from thence went to Lancaster, Penn- sylvania, where they remained about three years, and he was engaged on public works; one year on Union Canal, eight or nine months on Delaware and Peapatch Canal, and remainder of time on turnpike. Came to Perry county, Ohio, in 1826, and settled near Somerset, and soon after bought the eighty acres of land upon which he now lives, and to which he has since added two hundred and forty acres, owning in all three hundred and twenty acres. The first purchase of eighty acres was for one hundred dollars, and was relinquished land. Has had all of his land optioned at forty-five dollars per acre, as mineral land. The first two years he was employed on public works, he received forty cents per day for his labor. During his employ at tunnel, he received sixty- two and one-half cents per day and board. While upon the turnpike, the highest wages he ever received, was seventy-five cents per day and board himself. He also assisted in this State in building the reservoir in Fairfield county. Cleared the eighty acres he first purchased, and a good deal on the balance that he now owns. Was married February, 1842, to Miss Rosa, daughter of Edward and Catharine (McCaffrey) McGoldrack, of county Tyrone, Ireland, but lived in Columbus, Ohio, at the time of her marriage. They are the parents of two children now living, viz.: William Thomas and Mary A., and six deceased, viz.: Patrick, John, and four died in infancy. In an early day, Mr. Mullen used to pay a six pence per bushel for getting his wheat ground, as they would not take toll. Can remember when Rehoboth was much larger than New Lexington; and has seen its streets crowded with six-horse teams from Pennsylvania for tobacco. Cows with calves by their sides were sold for seven dollars. In purchasing stock, produce was given as pay, and money was but little known and used. Coffee was so scarce, that it was only used upon the occasion of guests or on Sunday morning. Corn was worth twelve and one-half cents, and wheat twenty-five cents per bushel. He has really known all of a pioneer's life, and is one of the few who now live to realize the luxuriant outgrowth of these labors and hardships.