HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "H"

     HADDEN, SAMUEL, proprietor planing mill, New Lexington, Ohio.
Mr. Hadden was born February 14, 1842, in Union township, Muskingum 
county, Ohio; son of Samuel M. and Ann (Lorimer) Hadden.
They were the parents of twelve children---nine sons and three 
daughters. Four of the sons served in the late war, two of whom lost their
lives on the battlefield. Samuel was brought up on the farm, where he

418

remained until twenty-two years of age. He came to this county in
1868, and in the following year came to this place, and engaged in his
present business, with a partner the greater part of the time. In the
meantime Mr. Hadden traveled in the West, one year, in the interest
of a mining company. He is now sole proprietor of an active business
in this line. Mr. Hadden was .married October 8, 1867, to Almira,
daughter of Dr. J. W. and Sarah (McConnell) Law, of Tuscarawas
county, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, viz.: William,
Francis, Charles, Samuel, Annetta and John.
     HAMILTON, THOMAS H., New Lexington, Ohio, was born September
14, 1859; in New Lexington, Ohio; son of Thomas and Helen (Johnson) 
Hamilton. Thomas Hamilton was a native of Virginia, and Helen
Johnson, of Perry county, Ohio. Mr. Hamilton, the subject of this
sketch, was married November 24, 1881, to Miss Libbie, daughter of
William Haines, of Somerset, Ohio.
     HAMMITT, SAMUEL, farmer, Madison township; post office, Mt.
Perry. He was born April 3, 1823, in Madison township. Perry county.
He is a son of George and Jane (Bergrin) Hammitt. He was brought
up as a farmer, which occupation he has since followed. Mr. H. 
enlisted in Company H, 160th Regiment O. V. I., and served four months
as a corporal. He was married December 22, 1850, to Mary J. Ford,
daughter of Charles and Harriet Ford. His second marriage was to
Mary J. Danison, daughter of Edward and Aletha Danison. Mr. and
Mrs. H. are the parents of eight children, viz.: William R., Charles N.,
Clarissa J., Andrew J., Jacob L. (deceased), John B..Adelaide R., and
George W.
     HAMMOND, JOHN, the venerable ancestor of the very respectable
family which bears his name, was born in county of Donegal, Ireland,
from whence he and his brother Thomas came to Dauphin county,
Pennsylvania, where John was married to Miss Rebecca James. On
the first day of November, 105, he and his wife, with her mother and
father, and his brother Thomas, arrived in a four-horse wagon at a spot
near where Trinity Church now stands in Somerset. Here they began
cutting a wagon road toward their destination, and were soon discovered
by Jacob Finck, who at once offered his aid, and who, by his natural
kind heartedness, won the friendship of the Hammonds, which was
ardently reciprocated to the end of their long and worthy lives. 
Arrived at last on the half section they had selected for their future homes,
they erected a tent around a dogwood tree, yet standing as a living 
witness, near the Sulphur spring, on the south side of the farm. Under
this temporary shelter grandmother James, most probably wearied by
the long Journey just completed, took sick and died, November 17th,
1805. Her venerable husband followed her a few years later, and they
are most probably the first aged pair whose death may be recorded in
the county. John Hammond and his devoted wife, now deprived of
the affectionate support of her parents, bravely adhered to the purpose
of hewing a home out of the frowning forest for themselves and their
children. In this purpose they were also effectively assisted by Thomas,
who made his home with them until June 30th, 1852, when he departed
this life, at the age of seventy-seven years, but not until his aim at 
success and independence had been realized. He was a soldier in the

419

War of 1812. It was no uncommon thing for this family, and others
scattered here and there, to go as far as Chillicothe or Zanesville for
grain grinding, and often the brave wife of John Hammond was left
alone in her cabin home, with her little ones, to answer the demands of
the roving Indian for salt or bread, and to defend her home against the
intrusions of wild beasts. The life of John Hammond was prolonged
to the age of eighty-eight years and that of his wife to eighty-nine
years. They lived to behold the fruitful fields which their firmness and
industry had rescued from a forest waste, and to see their children grow
to the estate of womanhood and manhood and take rank among the 
foremost in useful, life and in the esteem of society. Their children were
Thomas, husband of Miss Olive Spencer, and who, about eighteen
years since, removed from Perry county to McLane county, Illinois;
John, who died in East Rushville in 1832;  Nancy, who preserves her
maiden name, and resides with her sister, Mrs. Stewart; Mary Ann
Cowen, wife of the late George Cowen, of Hopewell; James, who died
in California, and whose wife was Miss Eliza Hukel, yet living with
her sons in Iowa.
     HAMMOND, JESSE, is the only survivor of all the sons of John and
Rebecca Hammond, and to whom descended a share of the ancestral
acres, and all of the manhood and social character of his ancestry.
He is the husband of Miss Elizabeth Cowen, with whom he spent many
years of a happy life, first clouded by her departure from it, a few
years since. He is supported in his irreparable bereavement and in his
declining years by the kind offices of a niece to his departed wife.
Next in age to Jesse was Cyrus, who died on his farm in sight of 
Somerset. Elijah and William died before coming of age; and next is
Rebecca, wife of Mr. John Stewart, who occupies the homestead, 
hallowed by all the holy remembrances of childhood, and blessed with a
daughter, now sixteen, the only prospective heir to all the patrimonial
domain, and a husband, whose skill as a farmer and success as a 
husbandman have added beauty, as well as acres, to the old home, where
there ever has been, as there is now, an unaffected welcome to its 
kindred and its friends. The maiden name of Mr. Stewart's mother was
Nancy Meldrem, whom, with all his brothers, he left in county Donegal, 
Ireland. His father was James Stewart. His marriage ceremony
was pronounced by Rev. P. V. Ferree, in 1862.
     HAMMOND, WILLIAM, farmer, Pike township, New Lexington,O.;
was born February 15, 1843, in Clayton township, Perry Co., Ohio;
son of Nicholas and Susan ( Davidson) Hammond. Mr. Hammond was
raised a farmer, and has made agricultural pursuits, together with fine 
sheep breeding of the Merino stock, his business up to this time. The
mines of the Nuget Coal Company are excavations of his farm. He
was married October 15, 1872, to Margaret, daughter of Thomas and
Julia (Wright) Selby. 
The Biography above was originally in the ADDENDA, page 596
     HANLEY, EDWARD, proprietor of restaurant, New Straitsville. He
was born May 5, 1830, in Glasgow, Scotland; a son of P. Hanley, a
native of Ireland, who moved to Scotland when Edward was young.
His parents had four children, two of whom are yet living. While the
children were yet young, Mr. Hanley lost his life in a coal mine. 
Edward began work in the mines when but seven years and eight months
old. At the age of fifteen he was a contractor, and at the age of twenty
was married to Elizabeth Holmes, a native of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs.
Hanley became the parents of seven children, all born in Scotland, five
of whom are still living. In 1866 they came to America, and four
months after Mrs. Hanley died. Mr. Hanley began mining in the
Kanawha River region, in Virginia, where he worked eleven days with
a "pick and drill," and had charge of two hundred men. In 1870
Mr. Hanley married Margaret Croal, a native of Ireland, and daughter

420

 
of Edward and Catharine Croal. She had two brothers---James
and Francis-both of whom were killed in the late war, the former at
Spottsylvania Court House, the latter at the White House Road, two
miles from "Old Church," on the 13th of June, 1863.  In 1871, Mr.
and Mrs. Hanley came to New Straitsville, where he took charge of
the Troy mines until 1874. For the excellent work in this mine he received 
well merited praise from Andrew Roy, State Inspecter of Mines.
Mr. Hanley now conducts an excellent restaurant.
     HANNON, JOHN SYLVESTER, Rector of St. Mary's Catholic Church,
Shawnee, Ohio, was born October 28, 1851, in Steubenville, Ohio, son
of Bernard and Rose (O'Harra) Hannan. He received his preparatory
education at Mt. St. Mary's of the West, then entered St. Aloysius
Seminary, and completed his philosophical and theological education,
at Columbus, Ohio. He was ordained November 7, 1879, by Archbishop 
Purcell, at St. Francis Church, at Cincinnati, Ohio. After his
ordination he was stationed at St. Joseph's Cathedral, and had charge
of the surrounding missions attached to the cathedral. At the same
time he was chaplain to the Ohio State Penitentiary. From these duties 
he was transferred to Athens, Ohio, and had charge at St. Paul's
Church about three months. He came to his present charge May 1,
1880. Before his appointment here this congregation was attended
once a month from Straitsville. During his labors here he has built
the present church building, and the congregation is steadily increasing.
     HANSBERGER, JOEL J., proprietor of Park House, and lumberman
and contractor. Corning, Ohio, was born September 14, 1840, in Amanda
township, Fairfield county, Ohio, son of Joel and Elizabeth (Loose)
Hansberger. Joel was brought up on the farm. At the age of twenty
he enlisted in company K, Seventeenth O. V. I., and veteranized, serving 
four years, and never was absent from his regiment on account of
sickness, and was engaged in thirty-two different battles. During his
service he was commissary sergeant eighteen months. At the close of
the war he engaged as dry goods clerk; subsequently was drug clerk.
He conducted a hardware store about six months; after selling this out
he engaged in general merchandizing, which he has conducted for the
last eleven years. At this time he owns a store at Baltimore, Fairfield
county, Ohio. In the fall of 1881 he established his business here, and
opened his hotel in the spring of 1882. Mr. Hansberger was married
February 14, 1867, to Miss Caroline, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth
Tschopp, of Pleasant township. Fairfield county, Ohio. They are the
parents of six children, viz.: Ulysses Franklin, Harry Grant, William
C., Carrie Clementine, Ernest Eugene, and Arthur Garfield.
     HARBAUGH, DANIEL, farmer, Shawnee, Ohio, was born December
4, 1818, in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, and son of John and Roxana 
(Wymer) Harbaugh. Mr. Harbaugh was raised a farmer, and
has followed agricultural pursuits pretty much all his life. He lived to
the age of seventeen years in Pennsylvania, when he came to Ohio
with his father and settled in Perry county, Ohio, and of which county
he has been a resident up to this present time. He was married February 
14, 1845, to Mary, daughter of John and Jane (Travars) Hazelton. 
They are the parents of nine children, viz.: John, Henry, James,
Gabriel, Sarah Jane, Barbara Ellen, Hannah Lydia, Mary, Louisa, and

421

 
William T. S., all living but one---Louisa. All who are living are married, 
with but one exception, that of Willie, who is at home. Mr. Harbaugh 
has, at this time, twenty-five grandchildren, and is quite vigorous 
of his age. He helped to roll logs, in the days of yore, where now
are the present sites of Shawnee and Straitsville, and has seen the
farms change from $10 and $12 per acre to $60, $70, $100, $150, and
up to $300 per acre, all upon the account of developed mineral wealth,
which was opened to commerce by the building of the Baltimore and
Ohio Railroad branch that reached this point, the first meeting of which
he attended at Newark, Ohio, and which brought a copious shower of
wealth into his community. He has been, and at the present time is,
one of the reliable citizens of this county, and has filled the offices of
township treasurer and trustee for several years. He also has held all
the society official positions of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 
Shawnee, Ohio. He now owns two hundred and thirty-four acres of land at
McCuneville, two miles from Shawnee, the coal of which is leased to a
New York coal company, at ten cents per ton. His statement as to
how Shawnee came by its name is as follows: In an early day, when
the country was sparsely settled, and there were no Sunday schools and
but few churches, the youngsters were accustomed to grow up almost
uncultivated, and with but little literary culture. During a winter term
of school it so happened that some difficulty arose between the master
(Stephen Wise) and a scholar by the name of James Small, and it 
happened that the master attempted to correct the scholar, who proposed,
by pugilistic force, to resist the punishment, and thus ensued the tussle
for predominance; but the master---perhaps being the better of the two,
and undoubtedly in the right---came off conqueror. Of course, the
thing became news and took wings, flying from ear to ear, and came
to the hearing of an elderly gentleman of the community---Mr. Henry
Hazelton---who had served in the Indian wars; upon which he 
remarked that they (the boys of that community) reminded him of the
Shawnees, meaning the tribe of Shawnee Indians; from which it 
became a title of the boys, and later the creek they lived upon, and still
later to the mining town of that name.
     HARDY, DAVID, farmer, Maxville, Ohio; born in Fairfield county,
Ohio, July 2, 1820; son of Thomas and Jane (Huston) Hardy. At
the age of three years he, with his father, came to Perry county and
located in Monday Creek township, where he has ever since resided.
His boyhood was spent on his father's farm, and he has continued to till
the soil through his entire life. He was married October 25, 1852, to
Lucretia R., daughter of Ralph and Sarah (Gunder) Webb, to whom
were born six children---Sarah, Jane, Margaret, John R., Thomas W.
and Gustavus A., all living in Monday Creek township, except Margaret 
and John, who died several years since. Mr. Hardy is a substantial 
farmer, owning one hundred and twenty acres in Monday
Creek township, and enjoys the respect of all who know him.
     HARLAN, B. F., post office Somerset, Ohio, was born in the State
of Delaware, May 5, 1831. His father was William Harlan, who died
in Pennsylvania, in 1850, in the sixtieth year of his age. He was a
good mechanic in all kinds of wood work. His mother was Miss Sarah
Hewlet, who died in 1865, in her seventy-third year. She was the

422

 
mother of three sons and three daughters, who grew to manhood and
womanhood. Of these, one sister, Mrs. Sarah Tague, wife of John Tague,
post office Rehoboth, resides in this county. The family is of English
descent on both sides. Its religion was of those Baptists known as
Christians, or Campbellites. Mr. Harlan and his wife are Lutherans.
In politics he was always Whig or Republican. He was married 
November 31, 1827, to Miss Mary Smitley, daughter of the venerable
John Smitley, near Newtonville, Ohio. They lived in Muskingum and
Licking counties until 1861, when they came to Perry. His occupation
being that of a miller caused several removals, until 1847, he bought
the farm on which he now resides. He has been successful as a miller,
and still pursues this occupation. His sons are John William and
Joel. His daughters are Sarah Louisa and Elizabeth Ann, both single.
Inheriting no patrimony but honesty, industry, and a reasonable
degree of health, Mr. Harlan and his wife have attained to circumstances 
of comparative independence, while much of the time he nursed
his health, and qualified himself for his avocation of a first-class miller.
A close student of passing events, he has gained a competence by the
stern virtues of industry, economy, perseverance and temperance.
     HARSH, JACOB H., merchant, Rendville, Ohio; born June 25, 1844,
in Franklin county, Pennsylvania; son of Jacob and Mary (Gantz)
Harsh. Jacob Harsh was a native of Virginia, and Mary Gantz a
native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, of German ancestry. Jacob
H. was brought up on a farm until about twenty years of age, when he
emigrated to Russellville, Kentucky, and clerked in a store about four
years. From there he went to Owensboro, on the Ohio River, and
engaged in the manufacture of brooms, in which employment he 
continued about three years. He then taught school one year, after which
he returned to this State and located at Columbus. His first employment 
in that city was to clerk in a dry goods house, which he followed
for five years. He came to Rendville, his present abode, in August,
1879. He was married September 30, 1879, to Miss Leanna, daughter
of Thomas and Penelope (McFarland) Barren, of Owensboro, 
Kentucky. They are the parents of one child, Thomas Barren Harsh.
     HARTSOUGH, DANIEL F., minister of the gospel, Maxville, Ohio,
was born April 10, 1826, in Fairfield county, Ohio; son of Daniel and
Catharine (Fulcarth) Hartsough. He was brought up on a farm, and
came to this township soon after his marriage, where he remained one
and one-half years, and then went to Indiana and remained about
thirteen years and six months in Huntington and Kosciusko counties.
At the end of this time he again returned to this township, where he
has since resided. His father was a German Baptist in religion, and
he, at the age of twenty-one years, united with the same church, and at
twenty-four years of age became deacon of the same, and at thirty
years of age entered the ministry of that church, and at this time holds
the second degree in that relation. He is now pastor on the Rush
Creek District, and officiates at Bremen, Marion, and Durban Run.
Rev. Hartsough was married March 8, 1849, to Susannah, daughter of
George and Elizabeth (Fink) Henricks. They are the parents of six
children, viz.: George, Isaac, Aaron, John, Elizabeth C. and Ira C.
     HARVEY, HUMPHREY, grocer and baker, Shawnee, Ohio, was born

423

 
in 1820, in county Cornwall, England; son of John and Thomasine
(Cornish) Harvey. He came to America in 1850, and located in New
York City, and worked in a bakery two years. He then went to Alleghany 
county, Maryland, and remained about twenty years. Mr. Harvey 
was married in 1850 to Miss Jane, daughter of Henry Bishop, of
county Cornwall, England. They became the parents of one child,
viz.: John. Mrs. Harvey died in 1856, and Mr. Harvey was again
married in 1858 to Miss Lucinda Jane, daughter of Travis and Blanche
(McCoy) Coppage, of Maryland. They are the parents of eight children, 
viz.: Thomasine Blanche, married to John Ritz, Lucinda Jane,
William Alfred, George Travis, Henry James, Thomas Humphrey,
Hattie May and Iva Grant. Mr. Harvey's is the oldest business house
in Shawnee, and is succeeding well.
     HATFIELD, JOHN, miller, Monroe township, Corning, Ohio, was
born February 17, 1820, in Pennsylvania; son of William and Mary
Ann (Miller) Hatfield. Mr. Hatfield was brought up on a farm, and
followed agricultural pursuits and running threshing machines for
twenty-four years, until about twenty years ago, when he engaged in
his present business of running a saw mill, which he is now about to
change into a flouring mill. He also has managed threshing machines
since he quit farming. Mr. Hatfield came to Ohio with his parents at
an early day, who settled in Richland township, Muskingum county,
and afterward moved to Indiana, where they lived about one year,
when they returned to Fairfield county, Ohio, where they lived up to
the time of their deaths. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812,
serving two six months terms. His grandfather, Edward Hatfield,
was married in England to Miss Mary Lee, and emigrated to America
during the Revolutionary War; became a soldier for freedom and
right; endured the hardships and cruelties of war, but was encouraged
by a brave wife, who continued with him during the campaign, and
where their first child, Edward, was born, and afterward they became
the parents of William, father of the subject of this sketch, and Samuel.
John Hatfield lived with his father until he was past twenty-two years
of age, when he was married to Miss Alice C. Darnell, born January
13, 1822, in Culpepper county, Virginia, daughter of Jeremiah and
Narcissa Frances (Coppage) Darnell. They are the parents of nine
children, viz.: Harriet Ann, married to James Moore; Eliza Jane,
married to Joseph Bougle; Narcissa Frances, married to John Eberts;
Lewis, married to Elizabeth Irwin; J. M., married to Cynthia J. Post;
Mary Alice, married to John W. Roberts; John Wesley, married to
Frances Maxwell; Charles Calvert and Maggie E., at home. Mrs.
Hatfield's parents came to Ohio when she was a small girl, where they
lived up to the time of their deaths. Mr. Darnell died in Morgan
county, and Mrs. Darnell in Licking county, each living to a good, ripe
age.
     HAYS, GEORGE L., post office clerk. New Lexington, Ohio, was
born December 14, 1840, in Jackson township; son of John and Zelda
(Rinehart) Hays. Young Hays was brought up on a farm, where he
remained until 1867, when he came to this place and established a provision 
grocery, which he conducted till 1872, after which he clerked in
a store and taught school until 1877, when he took his present position.

424

 
Mr. Hays was married January 19, 1864, to Miss Barbara E., daughter
of Isaac and Susan Baily. They are the parents of three children,
viz.: Susanna E., George Franklin and Isaac Arthur (twins).
     HAZELTON, HENRY, farmer. Saltlick township, Shawnee, Ohio;
was born in this township; son of John and Jane (Traverse) Hazelton.
Mr. Hazelton was brought up a farmer, and has made farming the business 
of his life. Having all his life been a citizen of Saltlick township,
he is now the second oldest citizen in it.  Was married May 20, 1860,
to Lois Amanda, daughter of Joseph and Susan (Raymer) Woodruff,
of Orange county, New York. They are the parents of three children,
viz.: Ulysses S. Grant, John M. and Mary Jane, who are living, and
one that died in infancy. Mr. Hazelton's father came from Pennsylvania 
to Ohio at an early day, and settled on Congress land at $1.25
per acre; the same land is now considered worth $100 per acre, and
some in the neighborhood has sold as high as $300 per acre. The land
here, as farming land, yields about forty bushels of corn per acre;
wheat, about twenty bushels per acre.  By good management Mr.
Hazelton raises fifty bushels of corn per acre, and twenty-five bushels
of wheat per acre. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres in Pike
township, and four hundred and ninety acres in this township.
That in Pike township, and eighty acres in this township, are
optioned as mineral land. He enlisted in September of 1861, in 
Company H, Sixty-second Regiment, O. V. I., as Second Lieutenant for
three years, or during the war, but was discharged in May, 1864, by
reason of disabillity, caused by a wound received at Fort Wagner,
South Carolina, in the attempt to carry the fort.   Upon that
charge the regiment lost three hundred and fifty men, killed and
wounded, and every officer but one was killed or wounded. The 
Brigade Commander was also killed. Mr. Hazelton enlisted in the 
service as Second Lieutenant, and was discharged as First Lieutenant.
His wound has made him a permanant cripple.
     HAZELTON, JAMES P., teacher, Straitsville, Ohio; born in Saltlick,
township. Perry county, Ohio, May 7, 1860; son of Harrison and Louvina 
(Marlow) Hazelton; brought up on his father's farm, and attended 
school at Straitsville, and began teaching at the age of twenty years,
in the grammar department of the Straitsville Public Schools. United with
the Baptist Church at Old Straitsville, at the age of fifteen years, and at
the early age of seventeen years became superintendent of the Baptist
Sabbath school at that place, in which honored position he remained
for three years. At eighteen years of age he was chosen clerk of the
Baptist Church and has continued to perform the duties of that office
ever since. Mr. Hazelton is a young man whose future is bright.   In
the spring of 1882 he entered the Penmanship Department of the Ohio
Wesleyan Universary, at Delaware, Ohio, and graduated in plain and
ornamental penmanship at the Art Hall, under the instruction of Prof.
G. W. Michael.
     HECK, A. R., born March 7, 1815, on the farm where he now lives,
near Somerset, Ohio; a successful and prosperous farmer. His father
was Judge John Heck, born in 1790, who came with his father,Frederick
Heck, from. Franklin county, Pennsylvania, to Ohio in 1796, and to
Perry county in 1802. Frederick's sons were Judge John, of Perry

425

 
county, and George Heck, of Seneca county, Ohio; his daughters were
Susan, wife of Jacob Pence; Margeret, wife of Peter Middaugh; Elizabeth, 
wife of William McCormick; Katharine, wife of Isaac Pence; and
Maria, single. Frederick Heck, on his arrival in Perry, purchased the
splendid tract of three hundred and twenty acres where his descendants
yet reside. The father of A. R. Heck was married in 1811, to Peggy
Sanderson, sister of the late venerable General George Anderson, of
Lancaster, Ohio. Their sons were George and Alexander R; their
daughters, Elizabeth, wife of Henry Brehm, and Huldah, wife of Hiram
Dennison. George resided and died in Iowa, and of two sons, one fell
in the battle of Franklin, Tennessee. Alexander R. Heck was united
in marriage, June 25, 1833, to Rachel Linville, daughter of Solomon,
who was the brother of Joseph and Benjamin Linville, of Fairfield
county, Ohio. They had six daughters: Margaret, wife of Isaac Brookhart, 
who has two daughters; Elizabeth, wife of George L. Brehm,who
has one son and one daughter, Katharine, wife of Raymond J. Dittoe,
who has one son and one daughter; Susan, wife of Clinton S. Dorris,
who has one son, and Hannah, wife of Hayden Arnold, died 1881.
Alexander A. Heck, is a church member, conservative independent in
politics, a good, if not a superior specimen of American citizenship,and
the last of his name now living in the county. His taxes in 1881, were
$140.
     HENRY, FRANKLIN L., farmer, Ferrara, Perry county, Ohio; was
born August 5, 1849, in Monroe township, Perry county, Ohio; son of
Cyrus and Abigail (Dye) Henry. Cyrus Henry was born in Carroll
county, Ohio, and came to Monroe township with his father, John
Henry, who entered a farm in the township about the year 1837. Abigail 
Dye was brought up near Clay's Monument, about five miles east
of Wheeling, West Virginia. Franklin L. Henry was brought up on a
farm. Began teaching school in 1869; taught first in the Dougan school
Monroe township; taught, in all, about six terms. He received a 
preparatory education at the Lebanon Academy.   He entered the Ohio
University at Athens, in the fall of 1871, and was graduated in the
spring of 1876. In 1879 he formed one of a surveying party, under the
supervision of Major J. W. Free and E. N. Maxwell. They first visited
Fort Griffin and Fort Worth, Texas. On his return to the frontier he
was taken with typhoid fever, compelling him to abandon the enterprise 
and return to Albany, Texas, where he lay fourteen weeks, a part
of the time at the very point of death. When he became convalescent
he returned to his native home, where he has remained up to the 
present time.
     HENRICKS, DANIEL, farmer, Maxville, Ohio; was born in Monday
Creek township, November 2, 1832;son of George and Elizabeth (Fink)
Henricks. He was brought up on a farm; in 1851 he was elected township 
clerk; in 1856 he moved to Lyon county, Kansas, where he lived
fourteen years, and served as Justice of the Peace seven years, resigning 
the office when he left there. In 1870 he moved to the Indian Territory, 
where he remained three years; in 1873 he moved to Texas,
stopping in the northern part, where he resided four years, and returned 
to Monday Creek township in 1877, and located on his present farm.
Mr. Henricks was married the first time February 15, 1851, to Nancy

426

 
daughter of James P. and Austis (Sherwood) Black, who died February 
28, 1875. They became the parents of three children, viz.: John
W., Elizabeth J. and James C. .He was married the second time April
10, 1879, to Annie, daughter of Thomas and Jane (Huston) Hardy.
Mr. Henricks' grandfather, John Henricks, was a native of Germany,
and emigrated to America shortly after the Revolutionary War, and
settled in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, but in 1809, moved with his
son, George, to Ohio and settled in Perry county, where he built the
first grist mill on Jonathan's Creek. Mr. Henricks' father, George
Henricks, moved into Monday Creek township in 1826.
     HEPPELL, JAMES W., engineer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born November 
30, 1844, in Northumberland, England; son of James and Hannah
(Brodee) Heppell; was brought up in the country, and worked in a
coal mine up to 1863, beginning at the age of nine years; was engaged
as fireman on the railroad for nine years, and then on a ship for one
year as engineer, running from England to France.  He came to
America in 1873, landing in New York, and has been employed at the
following business since his arrival: At Dennison, Summit county,
Ohio, one year; Shawnee, Ohio, as a miner nine months; on the Baltimore 
& Ohio Railroad, fireing engine fifteen months; as engineer at
the XX furnace, where he has remained up to this time. Mr. Heppell
was married July 7, 1864., to Miss Barbra, daughter of George and
Elizabeth (Miller) Campbell; they are the parents of six children living,
viz.: Elizabeth, Christena, George, Barbra, Fannie and Mary, and six
dead, viz.: George, James, Hannah, Walter, Thomas and Edward.
Mr. Heppell has passed some narrow escapes of his life; at one time he
was forty-eight hours bound in a coal mine, in England, whose shaft
was one thousand and seven hundred feet deep. This shaft was sunk
in 1799, and is still running coal. It is the mine in which Stevenson
first proved his elevator engine to be a success, by which he amassed a
fortune.
     HIGGINS, JAMES, was born in 1816, in Pennsylvania; son of Arthur
and Mary (Brown) Higgins; he was brought up on a farm, and followed 
farming all his life, and was very successful.   He came
to Ohio at the age of fourteen years, with his father, who settled upon
the farm now owned by the family of the subject of this sketch. Mr.
Higgins was married June 8, 1847, to Miss Ellen McMenomy, born
November 1, 1822, in the northern part of Ireland, daughter of Roger
and Marjory (McGinley) McMenomy. They became the parents of
eight children, viz.: Arthur, John, James, Mary (deceased), Elizabeth,
Francis, Stephen and Thomas, deceased. Mr. Higgins departed this
life May 13, 1874. His wife, who still survives him, was brought to
America when a child, whose parents settled in New York State; at
the age of ten years her uncle, Judge McGinley, brought her to Ohio,
where she has since resided.
     HILL, ROBERT, farmer, born in 1843, in Thorn township, Perry
county, Ohio; post office, Rushville. In 1867 he was married to Miss
Levina Lehman, a daughter of Christian Lehman, whose wife was the
daughter of Frederick Siple of Fairfield county, Ohio. The father of
Robert, was James Hill, deceased, in Perry county, Ohio: and his grand-
father was Robert Hill, deceased, in Virginia. His mother's maiden

427

name was Margaret Tailor, and that of his grandmother was Sarah
White, a native of Maryland, and deceased near Thornville. The
children of Robert and Levina Hill are: George. John Richard. Martha,
Rezella, Ann. Robert served his country in Company L, Fourth
U. S. Artillery, six years in the regular army; was discharged in March.
and married in May, 1867. His first lieutenant was a son of Henry
Ward Beecher. This eminent divine was visiting his son and saw a
soldier shot down by the rebels while carrying sugar suspended from
one end of a stick and coffee at the other, the stick being swung over
his neck. The sight of this event, and the carelessness of the soldiery
which seemed to border on indifference, made a deep impression on the
manner and conversation of their distinguished visitor. Mr. Hill's wife
is a descendent of that Rev. Adam Lehman, whose name is connected
with the first United Brethren Conference ever held in America: a
name that will live in history while letters preserve its records. Her
grandfather. Jacob Adam Lehman, was also a preacher in the same
church.
     HILLERY, MARSHALL, was born in Virginia, March 2d, 1827.
emigrated with his parents to Ohio in 1830, and located on a farm near
Lancaster, Ohio. .After remaining a few years in Fairfield county, he
removed with his parents to Monday Creek township, where he has 
resided ever since. His father. Elijah Hillery, was a native of Virginia.
He served in the War of 1812, and was a great friend of the Union
cause during the late troubles. He died October 9th, 1873. Marshall
Hillery is a farmer by occupation; although not largely engaged in
farming, yet he maintains his position as one of the progressive farmers
of the community. He was married to Sarah Martin, October 30th,
1850. She was born August 18, 1827. She is the daughter of Ellison 
Martin, of Logan, Hocking county. Mr. Martin was a prominent
man in his party and society; holding, at the time of his death, the
offices of County Auditor, Justice of the Peace and Postmaster. He
died November 3, 1839. Marshall and Sarah Hillery are the parents
of five children. The first, a son, died in his infancy: Elizabeth J..
born September 20, 1854, died April 12, 1856; John M., born 
September 30, 1857; Charles E., born July 16, 1861; Laura May, born
July 2, 1865, died February 25, 1870. John M., a teacher by profession,
is engaged in teaching in the county of which he is a resident.
Charles E. is a clerk in a dry goods establishment.
     HILLIS, EDWARD, farmer, Pike township, New Lexington, Ohio;
was born May 31, 1833, in Jackson township, this county; son of Elijah 
and Elizabeth (Freshour) Hillis. Mr. Hillis was raised a farmer,
and has followed agricultural pursuits up to the present time. Mr. Hillis
remained at home until the date of his marriage, October 26, 1852, to
Miss Ellis Ferguson, born in December, 1837, daughter of Patrick and
Margaret (McCabe) Ferguson. They are the parents of six children,
viz.: Richard, John, deceased: Mary, married to Clestin Mattingly:
George, Edward and Charles. Mr. Hillis' father came to Ohio at an
early day, and after some time he entered eighty acres of land near
what is now known as North Ferrara, but soon after he was killed
at a house raising about one mile south of where the Moxahala furnace
now stands, on the Vanwey farm, leaving a wife and ten children.

428

 
After her husband's death, Mrs. Hillis still remained upon the farm, and
her sons cleared it up and farmed it. Mrs. Hillis was again married in
two or three years, to John Haughran, who lived with the Hillis
family until the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1847,
at which time Edward, the subject of this sketch, took charge of the
farm. Haughran, after his marriage to Mrs. Hillis, bought the eighty
acres she lived upon, and also purchased eighty acres that Mr. Hillis
now lives upon: and upon the occasion of his death, the property went
into an administrator's hands, when Mrs. Haughran bought the eighty
acres she lived upon at the time of her last marriage, which her two
sons, Edward and Thomas, assisted her in paying for, but was afterward 
allowed the amount of their assistance in the purchase in partnership 
of this same eighty acres of land. She also bought eighty-three
acres at the same time, which she sold to her two sons, James and
Washington. Two years after the partnership purchase by Edward
and Thomas, Edward bought the share belonging to Thomas. At the
administrator's sale, David, her oldest son, bought the eighty acres 
entered by Mr. Hillis, with whom she made her home until she died.
James bought out Washington; and Edward, after the death of James,
bought out his heirs in 1879; and upon the death of his brother, David,
who was killed at a railroad bridge raising, on the O. C. R. R., bought
out his heirs also; and owns a house and three lots in the Third ward,
Zanesville. O. He acted as administrator for his brother David's estate. 
He also purchased in the spring of 1882, seventy acres of the
John Riley farm. All of the original Hillis family were natural 
mechanics. Edward does all of his own work, such as blacksmithing,
wagon making, carpentering, etc. In connection with his other work,
he ran a threshing machine fifteen years. His health has been remarkably 
good, as there has never been a physician called to see him yet.
When he was a boy, deer were so plenty that they had to guard the
wheat field, having seen as many as twenty-five or thirty in one herd.
     HITCHCOCK, COLONEL N. F., was born December 29, 1832, in Perry
county, which has since been his home; boyhood was spent on farm; at
the age of eighteen he commenced teaching; followed it ten years,
then organized a company of militia and went to the army as Captain;
was promoted to rank of Lieutenant Colonel; served three years; was
in the following battles: Richmond, Perryville, Stone River. Chickamauga, 
Chattanooga, Resaca, Rome, Jonesborough, Atlanta, Nashville,
Franklin. Was married March 6th, 1854, to Miss Gemia, daughter of
John F. and Rosanna (Kelly) Angle; are the parents of nine children.
living, viz.: John H., Mary, Rosanna, James H., S. Clinton, E. Ross,
Harvey F., Alice J., Lyda U.. Mr. Hitchcock's parents are of English
and Irish descent; has two brothers who were in the army, one being
Captain. Mr. Hitchcock's grandfather on his father's side, Isaac H.,
was one of the first pioneers.
     HITE. C. E., M. D., was born 1845, in Lancaster, Ohio; is the only
son of Jacob Hite, an old and highly respected citizen of Lancaster,
and a grandson of John Hite, a Baptist minister of the old school. Dr.
Hite's mother was Margaret Guseman. His sisters are Miss Mary and
Miss Ella Hite of Lancaster. He was educated in the excellent free
schools of his native city; read medicine in the office and under the

429

 
tuition of Dr. G. W. Boerstler, long celebrated as the foremost in his
profession in Lancaster; graduated in Cleveland Medical College in
1868; located in Rushville, where he became acquainted with and 
married Miss Sue Lewis, daughter of the late venerable W. B. Lewis, of
that village. In 1871 he changed his location to Thornville, and a few
months later became a partner of the late Dr. Allen Whitmer, who then,
and to the day of his death in 1881, enjoyed a very lucrative practice.
By the death of this faithful physician and very excellent citizen. Dr. C.
E. Hite succeeded to the very large practice theretofore enjoyed by the
firm of Hite & Whitmer. He has been Master of Lodge 521, F and A.M.,
since its organization in 1879; a member of the I. O. O. F., and in all
respects a useful citizen, an ardent Democrat, and a thrifty man of 
affairs. He has two sons---Charles, the eldest, and Harry, now three years
of age. Jacob Hite, his father, has been in business for nearly a half
century as a merchant tailor in Lancaster, and such is the general 
confidence in his integrity and capacity that he has served as executor,
without bond, at the request of the testator.
     HOLMES, CAPT. JAMES M., former cashier of the Perry County
Bank, New Lexington. Ohio; was born June 15, 1837, in Liberty township, 
Fairfield county, Ohio; son of Eli and Catharine (Brown) Holmes.
James M. was brought up on the farm, where he remained until twenty-
six years of age, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and
Thirty-fifth Regiment O. V. I., and served about one year. When he
came out of the service he engaged in the grocery business at Terre
Haute, Indiana, and remained about one year, after which he came to
Zanesville, Ohio, and engaged in the coal business, which he followed
until 1873, when he came to this place and engaged in the Perry County 
Bank as book-keeper, and was elected cashier in 1878. February 22,
1881, he was elected Captain of Company A, Seventeenth Regiment
O. N. G., having previously held the office of Lieutenant of the company. 
He commanded the squad of the company which suppressed
the miners' riot at Corning in 1880. Captain Holmes was married 
November 9, 1862, to Miss Frances, daughter of James and Fannie (Stolts)
Turner. They became the parents of three children, viz.: Hattie A.,
Fannie K., and Mary E. Mr. Holmes is now a clerk in the Pension
Department at Washington City.
     HOUSEHOLDER, ADAM, was born in Reading township, in 1816; is a
farmer by occupation, his postoffice being Avlon, on the county line.
His father was Adam Householder, Sr., and his mother was Christina
Siniff, who came to Ohio, in 1802, on horseback, carrying her eldest
son, Philip, while her husband accompanied her on foot, carrying his
trusty rifle, until they reached her father's (Philip Siniff) house, where
the Wagner farm now is. The brothers of Adam Householder, Jr.,
were, Philip, John, Andrew, George, and Levi; and his sisters were,
Polly, wife of Levi Hodge; Betsy, wife of John Griggs; Margaret
Ann, wife of John Hiles; Christina, wife of George Griggs, and Nancy,
wife of John M. Johnson. Adam Householder, Jr., first married Miss
Margaret Lehman, daughter of Warner Lehman. The only son living
by this marriage is Thomas Lehman, whose occupation is that of a
farmer, and whose postoffice is Avlon, Ohio. His second marriage
was to Elizabeth, daughter of John Lehman, about the year 1847. The

430

 
sons of this marriage are, Lewis, Balser, and D. F.; all married, and
postoffice, Avlon, Ohio, and all living near the paternal homestead in
homes of their own. The daughters were, Margaret Ann, wife of
Abanus Purvis; Caroline, wife of Earney Purvis: Emma, wife of Turner 
Elder, and Levina, yet at home. The Householders were of
Dutch Reform parentage, but are now generally of the Brethren
Church and of the Republican faith. Adam Householder, Jr., starting 
in life, as a married man where he was born and reared, about
the year 1840, depending alone upon his industry and good health
for success, and rearing to manhood and to womanhood four sons
and four daughters, that rank in society with honorable names and
encouraging portions, illustrate the benignity of American institutions,
and the thrift, as well as respectability, of the Householder name in
the county of its adoption and its birth.
     HOWDYSHELL, MICHAEL, farmer, Monday Creek township, P. O.,
Webb Summit, O.; born May 4, 1810, in Rockingham county, Virginia,
son of Jacob and Mary (Miller) Howdyshell. He was brought up a
farmer, and has made that the business of his life. In 1814 his father
came to Ohio and located in Fairfield county, remaining about two
years, when he moved to Hocking county, Ohio, and from there he
went to Indiana, where both he and his wife died---Jacob at eighty-five
years of age and Mary at ninety-five years of age. Michael came to
this township about 1842, and located upon and entered the farm where
he now lives. At the time of his coming that part of the county
was a wilderness, and he cleared up his own land. When his father
lived in Hocking county, Logan was unknown, there being but one
log cabin at that place, occupied by a man by the name of Rhodes.
They packed their wheat to Lancaster on horseback, and had to go to
Zanesville for salt, which cost one dollar per bushel, and it required
about four days to make the trip. When a boy, Michael used to 
accompany his father, who made hunting his special business. At one
time his father killed three bears without moving from his position.
Wild turkeys were plentiful; deer and wild animals were a daily sight.
Michael's early school days were spent in a log cabin schoolhouse with
puncheon floor, a split log for a seat, greased paper for window lights,
clapboard door, and a split stick chimney that would take in a backlog
nine feet long. He is one of a family of twelve children, seven of
whom were boys. As a citizen, he has had but one lawsuit, and that
before a Justice of the Peace. He was married, in 1831. His wife,
Sarah, came with her parents to Ohio from Virginia. Mrs. Howdyshell 
died May 14, 1877. They became the parents of seven children,
viz.: Silas, Delilah, Frances, William H., died at nine years of age;
Samuel S., Catharine, and Jerome, who died at the age of thirty years.
     HOWDYSHELL, ISAAC, farmer, Monday Creek township. P.O., 
Maxville, O.; born January 13, 1845, in this township, son of Samuel and
Sylvy (Geiger) Howdyshell; was brought up on a farm and attended
common school in the winter season. At the age of twenty-five years
he attended school in Logan, Ohio, and the following year began teaching, 
and continued that business for eleven years, teaching most of this
time in Hocking county, Ohio, and five successive terms in one district
in Green township. He began life with no assistance, and now owns

431

 
one hundred and sixty acres of well improved land where he now lives.
He was married April 30, 1874, to Miss Nancy, daughter of Daniel and
Elizabeth (Blosser) Hufford. To them were born three children, viz.:
Mary E., Zelda J., and Sarah Amanda. Samuel Howdyshell, father
of Isaac was born in 1816, in Virginia. He was brought by his
parents to Ohio when a boy and at about the age of twenty years, he
went to Hocking county, Ohio, where he married Sylvy Geiger, who
was born in 1824. They moved to Perry county shortly before the
birth of Isaac, their son. Unto them were born eleven children, viz.:
Noah, David, Isaac, James A.,deceased; Samuel, deceased; Phoebe,
Philip, Henson, Sarah, Jacob, and Albert, deceased.
     HOWERTH, J. W., farmer, Pleasant township; post office, 
Moxahala; born in Belmont county in 1843; son of Samuel and Sarah 
(Bolton) Howerth, and is of English descent. Mr. Howerth's parents
emigrated to the United States about 1837. The subject of this sketch
moved to Harrison county in 1857, and remained there until he came
to this township, in 1871, and located on the farm where he now resides.
In 1864 he married Miss N. Herriman, of Harrison county. They became 
the parents of three children: Etty M., Lydia E., and Effie C.
In 1872 he married Rebecca Speer; her mother was born in Pennsylvania, 
and her father was of Irish extraction. They are the parents of
three children: Dasie A., Sarah F., and William B. Miss Lorena D.
Randals, Mrs. Howerth's daughter by her first husband, makes her
home with the family.
     HOY, CHARLES, attorney at law, New Lexington, Ohio; was born
March 4., 1829, in Wayne, now Ashland, County, Ohio, son of Charles
and Mary (daughter of Adam Poe) Hoy. Charles was brought up on
the farm, and began teaching school when seventeen years of age, and
taught about five years. He was educated at Ashland and Wooster
Academies and Western Reserve College; began reading law in 1849,
and was admitted to the bar at Mansfield, Ohio, in 1853; began the
practice of his profession, in 1854, at Coshocton, Ohio. In 1857 he
was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Coshocton county, and re-elected
in 1859. Attorney Hoy was married, in 1855, to Miss Mary Jane,
daughter of General Joseph and Rebecca (Lewis) Burns, of Coshocton, 
Ohio. He came to his present location in September, 1877.
     HUFFORD, DANIEL, farmer, Monday Creek township, P. O., 
Maxville, O.; born May 28, 1831, on the farm now owned by his brother,
John H., son of Daniel and Nancy (Welty) Hufford. He was brought
up on a farm, and has given his attention to agricultural pursuits to this
time. During his boyhood days he attended school a few months in the
year. He has served as township trustee five terms, four of which were
in succession, during the war. He was one of the Ohio National Guards,
who were called out during the war. Mr. Hufford was married March
4, 1852, to Elizabeth, daughter of John I. and Hannah (Hufford) Blosser, 
of Hocking county, Ohio. They are the parents of six children,
viz.: Nancy, married, April 30, 1874, to Isaac Howdyshell; John W.,
a school teacher, was married, October 14, 1878, to Jane Vanatta, of
Jackson township; Hannah J., married to J.W. Davis in 1875; Mary M.,
Alice A., died at the age of fifteen months, and Judson S. Mr. Hufford
owns one hundred and fifty acres of well improved land where he lives.

432

 
     HUFFORD, JOHN H., farmer. Monday Creek township, post office 
Maxville, Ohio; was born October 12, 1833, in this township; son of Daniel
and Nancy (Welty) Hufford. John H. was brought up on a farm, and
while at home has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life.
August 15, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and 
Fourteenth Regiment, of which he was chosen Second Lieutenant, and
served in the Tennessee Army under Sherman and Grant. Was
engaged in the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs, Thompson's Hill, Magnolia
Hills, Champion Hill, Black River, Siege of Vicksburg, and was in
two charges after he went to New Orleans, and thence to Texas under
General Banks. Was discharged on the Mississippi river, above 
Vicksburg, July 4, 1864. While in the service he was promoted to First
Lieutenant. Before going into the army he served three successive
years as township assessor, and one since he returned. Was land 
appraiser in 1870. He was married the first time in January, 1853, to
Elizabeth A., daughter of Peter and Margaret (Pulse) Beery, to whom
were born two children, viz.: Margaret A. and Emanuel. Mrs. 
Hufford died March 23, 1836. Was married the second time October 9,
1866, to Mary E. Kishler, widow of Daniel Kishler. They are the
parents of two children, viz.: Dora Lorena and Nellie Blanche. Mr.
Hufford owns one hundred and twenty acres of land where he lives,
improved and well stocked. Daniel Hufford, father of John H., was
born January 11, 1795, in Rockingham county, Virginia, and is of
German parentage, and was brought to Fairfield county, Ohio, about
1797, where he was raised a farmer. Nancy Welty, who became
John H. Hufford's mother, was born November 27, 1797, in Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania, and was brought to Fairfield county by her
parents. After the marriage of Mr. Hufford to Miss Welty, they moved
to and located in this township on the farm now owned by John H., and
was one of the pioneers of this vicinity, and knew all the incidents of
a pioneer life.
     HULL, DAVID W., farmer, Pike township, post office New Lexington,
Ohio; born February 15, 1824, upon the farm where he now lives; son
of Daniel and Elizabeth (Goodin) Hull. Mr. Hull's father came from
Pennsylvania to Perry county, Ohio, and took up Congress land, the
same that is now the farm of David W., where he lived until his
death in 1858. Mr. Hull, the subject of this sketch, was raised a
farmer, and has followed agricultural pursuits up to this date. He was
married August 21, 1849, to Eliza N., daughter of Arthur and Nancy
(Rinehart) Ankrom. They are the parents of five children, viz.:
Arthur D., Emma M., William H., Nannie E. and Anna Belle, all living, 
and two of whom are married, viz.: Arthur D. and Emma M.
Mr. Hull is one of the most prosperous farmers in this township, and
now lives in a fine frame farm house, which has supplanted both the
log cabin of yore, and the hewed log house of his boyhood days, and
is one of the few who enjoy the farm of their nativity and the homestead.
     HULL, JOHN S., farmer and stock raiser, Clayton township, post
office Somerset, Perry county; born in this county in 1825; son of
John and Rachel (Sayer) Hull. The former died in 1867, the latter in
1854. The former was a native of Pennsylvania, the latter of New

433

 
Jersey. He is a grandson of Benjamin and Hannah Hull, and of Revel
and Hope Sayers. Married in 1847 to Miss Anna C., daughter of
Philip and Margaret (Chilcote) Miller. They are the parents of four
children, viz.: Harriet E., Rachel E., deceased, James A. and 
William A.
     HULL, DAVID, farmer and wool grower, post office Rehoboth; born
in Perry county in 1826; son of Samuel and Mary (Goodin) Hull,
grandson of Daniel and Rebecca (Malont) Hull. Married in 1851 to
Miss Sarah A., daughter of Reason and Julia A. (Thrall) Hammond.
They are the parents of two children, viz.: Mary E., who is married
to Austin Dells, of this county, and Alvah. Mr. Hull was drafted in
the late war, but furnished a substitute.
     HUMBERGER ADAM, son of Peter and Mary Humberger, was born
in Thorn township, Perry county, Ohio, in 1806. He worked on
his father's farm a few years, after becoming old enough; but evincing
a genius and desire for mechanical pursuits, he was apprenticed to an
uncle to learn the trade of a gunsmith. After completing his apprenticeship, 
he was united in marriage with a Miss Terrell, and soon afterward
moved to Somerset, where he established a shop and carried on 
business successfully for many years. He had but a limited education---
such as the schools of the day afforded-but he was a great reader and
student all his life. When some of his children were old enough to go
to school and study Comstock's Philosophy, he also became a very close
student of the book. When he came upon the statement that Comstock 
then made and taught---that a ball shot from a gun directly upward 
would return to the earth with the same force and velocity that it
left the gun---he declared that " all nonsense; for," said he, "the 
resistance of the air against the ball, both ascending and descending,
must be taken into account, and that would make it an impossibility for
the ball to return with the same force it leaves the gun." Satisfied
himself, he at once proceeded to make a practical experiment, to 
convince Prof. Nourse and others that Comstock's book was teaching
erroneous doctrine. He carefully weighed his powder and balls, then
loaded his gun and placed the muzzle thereof against a board of a
certain thickness. He then built a shed, covered with boards of the
same character and thickness, set a gun upright in the center thereof,
and sprung the trigger by means of a pulley and string, held by him in
an adjacent building. The result was that, while the ball, shot from the
gun, went through one board, and part of the way through another, the
ball shot directly upward and returning, only buried itself about half in
the board upon which it fell. Prof. Nourse was convinced, and wrote
to the publishers of the philosophy referred to. The book was changed
in this respect, and whoever will take the pains to examine a Comstock's 
Philosophy, published thirty years ago, will see that it contains
and teaches the error which the practical experiment herein related
disproved. Mr. Humberger also invented and manufactured three
revolvers, several years prior to Colt's invention and patent. One of
these revolvers was fired on a general muster day, at Somerset, in the
presence of hundreds of people, years before Colt's revolvers were
heard of. The three revolvers made by Humberger were hunted up,
taken to the East, and used in law suits growing out of the right to

434

 
manufacture revolvers. He also visited New York, Washington, D.C., 
and Hartford, Connecticut, as a witness in some celebrated law suits
pertaining to the same subject. Mr. Humberger also invented, and
took out three patents, upon a corn harvester, upon which he worked
and studied much during his later years. His harvester was tried, and
worked with some degree of success, but he would never engage in
selling the patent right, for the reason that the machine was not 
perfected, and not what he designed it to be. He was still thinking and
working about his harvester when his health began to decline, and his
labors were done. Mr. Humberger died in May, 1863, at the residence
of a daughter in New Lexington. He has three daughters---Melinda,
married to Samuel Boyer, living at Pleasant Hill, Missouri; Matilda,
married to Jackson Parrott, and lives in Cass county, Missouri: Mary
A., married to E. S. Colborn, and lives at New Lexington, Ohio.
     HUMBERGER, HENRY, farmer, post office Thornville.  He was
born December 26, 1842, in section 26, Thorn township, Perry county,
Ohio, where he still resides. His father was John Humberger, born
in section 35, Thorn township, February 22, 1803, the same year 
Louisiana was purchased from France by Thomas Jefferson. October 9,
1828, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Basore, who was
born February 24, 1809, whose father was Frederick Basore, who settled 
south from Rushville, in Richland township, Fairfield county, in
1803. Her mother's maiden name was Mary E. Keister, and her
parents were of the Reform Presbyterian belief. Her father died at
the age of sixty-five, her mother in her eightieth year, near New 
Reading, Perry county. The grandfather of Henry was Peter Humberger,
who must have landed in Perry county in 1802, where his brothers
John and Henry also came, and settled on section 35, where they
found John King. The children of this Peter Humberger were,
beside two who died young---Katharine, the wife of Philip King;
Peter, deceased in Thorn township; Margaret, wife of John Louis;
Hannah; and Adam, who lived as a gunsmith in Somerset, is said to
be the true inventor of the first revolving pistol; died in New Lexington, 
buried in Somerset, and was the first Universalist who had a M. E.
minister promise to preach his funeral, and tell the congregation he
died in the faith, as he had lived in it, that all mankind would be 
ultimately happy in the land beyond the grave. In addition there was
Adam's brother Benjamin, who died in Sandusky county, Ohio; David,
who moved to Whitley county, Indiana, and died there; Henry, who
died in the same county; Mary, wife of Jacob Civits, post office 
Columbia City, Whitley county, Indiana. The children of John and Mary
Ann Humberger were David, the husband of Eliza Ann Karr, 
Columbia City, Indiana; Frederick, husband of Elizabeth Hetrick, same
post office; Mary Ann, wife of Simon Long, deceased, post office
Tiffin, Ohio; Peter, who was three times married, and died, leaving
sons and daughters in Pike county, Indiana; Elizabeth Rankin, whose
post office is Thornville; Margaret, deceased wife of Bernard Mechling, 
of Hopewell: Rev. John. husband of Mary Coolman, of Somerset, 
post office Petersburg, Mahoning county, Ohio; George W., husband 
of Emma Hudgel, Plymouth. Jefferson county, Nebraska;

435

 
Benjamin F., husband of Elenora Karr, post office Thornville; and
Henry, the youngest, except the last two named, who was married
on the 14th of April, 1867, to Miss Eliza Ann, daughter of Daniel 
Snyder, of Thorn township. They have two living children---Miss Mary
and Elva May. Henry Humberger, their father, is the proprietor of
the ancient homestead, around which the precious memories of
the family cling as a vine to the ancient oak. He joined the
One Hundred and Fifty-second Indiana Regiment in 1865, and having
served to the end of the war, was honorably discharged at Indianapolis.
After the death of his father in 1846, his mother, yet living, at the age
of seventy-four, had her maintenance in the homestead, which went
into Henry's name in 1867, subject to her rights. The family mansion
is a spacious two-story brick; the farm is just a round one hundred
acres: the spring, like the location, ranks among the foremost in the
county, and, to Henry, it is matchless in beauty and contentment.
     HUNT, HIXSON, carriage manufacturer, New Lexington, Ohio; born
May 24, 1819, in Sussex county, New Jersey; son of John and Jemima
(Hixson) Hunt; his grandfather Hunt came from England. Hixson
was brought up on the farm until the age of fourteen, when he went to
his trade and served seven years. In 1840 he came to this place, where
he has followed his trade to the present time. Mr. Hunt was married
December 23, 1842, to Miss Ann Eliza, daughter of William and Mary
(Eagle) Pruner, of Wythe county, Virginia. They are the parents of
eight children, viz.: Mary, deceased; Almeda, deceased; William
Austin, deceased; Ann Eliza, deceased; Catharine, married to W. C.
Hickman; Almira, married to John E. Parker; John H., married to
Clara M. West, and Charles W. Mr. Hunt is one of the best 
mechanics in the county.
     HUSTON, ANDREW, farmer, Monday Creek township, post office New
Straitsville, Ohio; born August 16, 1805, in Erie county, Pennsylvania;
son of Christopher and Elizabeth (Work) Huston. He came to Fairfield 
county, Ohio, with his father, in 1806; spent his boyhood days on
a farm; came to Monday Creek township in the spring of 1836, where
he has lived, except a short time, ever since. Was married to Anna
E., daughter of Alexander and Margaret (Love) Buchanan, of 
Fairfield county. They became the parents of one child, John. Mrs.
(Buchanan) Huston died some time after. He was married the second 
time to Elizabeth Hardy, to whom was born one child. Was married 
the third time to Margaret Gosser, by whom he had one daughter,
Elizabeth C. Mr. Huston took charge of the post office at Old Straitsville, 
under President Fillmore's Administration, for nearly seven years.
He was elected justice of the peace in Saltlick township in 1859, and
re-elected in 1862, and served six years.
     HUSTON, JOHN W., farmer, Madison township, post office. Mount
Perry. He was born September 27, 1829. in Madison township, and is
a son of Edward and Jane Huston. His father was born in Ireland,
and came to this township in 1812. Mr. H. has always followed 
farming, and now owns an excellent farm. He enlisted in Company H,
One Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment, serving four months as Lieutenant
in that company. He was married March 30, 1852, to Eliza McBride,

436

 
daughter of Andrew and Mary McBride. They are the parents of
seven children, Edward G.. Mary M., (deceased), Andrew J., 
Malanthon F., Hannah J., Anna R., and Leslie A.
      HUSTON, R. W., proprietor provision grocery, corner of Main and
Brown streets. New Lexington, Ohio. He carries a large stock of groceries, 
queensware and glassware; also oysters and ice cream in season.
He has a full share of the trade in his line.
     HUSTON, JAMES A., druggist. New Lexington, Ohio.
     HYNUS, HENRY, born May 20, 1834, in Cambria county, Pennsylvania; 
post office, Somerset, Ohio. His father was Myrod Hynus, and
his mother's maiden name was Mary Ann Swope. He had one brother.
Joseph, who died belonging to the Regular Army, and who left a widow
and one daughter in Newark, Ohio, from whence he enlisted. Henry's
father died in Newark in 1877, at the age of eighty-two. His mother
died at the age of fifty-six, and is buried in the Catholic cemetery in
Somerset. His sisters were Martha, wife of Martin Kureth; Rachel,
wife of Henry Flowers; Maria, wife of Ellis Bader, all of Newark,
Ohio; and Mary Ann, wife of Jacob Petry, supposed residence in 
California. After his marriage to Miss Rebecca Barker, daughter of John
Barker, an old settler of Perry, and sister of Rev. David Barker, an
Old School Baptist minister, who deceased at Pleasantville in 1882,
they emigrated to Crawford county, Illinois, came back to Perry county
in six months, and three years later, in 1867, again moved west to
Adams county, Iowa, and from here he again returned to Perry county,
where he has since resided, in prosperous circumstances. These journeys 
were performed in a wagon, and that to Iowa required thirty-two
days going, and the same returning. Mr. Hynus exhibits "Old Nance,"
a mare twenty-two years old, which has performed all these journeys,
and which animal, if she had kept a strict book account against her
master at twenty-five cents per day for her work, and a fair allowance
for her colts, would have him in debt over $4,000. Mr. Hynus is an
enterprising gardener, and has proved that onions as large as tea cups
can be raised from the seed in one year. During 1881, he experimented
with forty-eight kinds of potatoes and forty of corn. He took the first
premium at the Ohio State Fair in 1881, on best amber and red wheat,
and bushel of meal, and yellow corn; also first on best display of cereals, 
and best new varieties of potatoes, the Belle, and best on other
varieties, Mammoth and Pearl. Also a premium on the ten best kinds
of potatoes, with many second premiums on other articles. His 
presence at the State Fair has elevated Perry to a high rank in premium
winning. He is equally up in hogs and horses, and is called far and
near as a doctor of the last-named animals. His sons are Jefferson J.,
Vincent, a teacher; Isaac Y., Arthur and John H. Hynus. His 
daughters are Miss Mary E., Nancy Jane, and Clara E. Hynus.

437

Next Chapter