HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "G"

     GALLAGHER, PETER, mine boss, Sheldon, Ohio. Was born 
February 15, 1845, in Athens county, Ohio, son of Peter and Bridget (Farrie)
Gallagher. Was raised on a farm, and followed agricultural pursuits
until 1861, at which time he enlisted in Company A, Sixty-third Regiment, 
O. V. I., under Captain Nathan Picket, for three years, or dur 
the war, and was engaged in the capture of Island Number Ten, bom-
bardment of Fort Pillow, and under hot fire at New Madrid, serving
eleven months, when he was discharged by reason of disability, caused
by measles, whooping-cough and cold. After receiving his discharge he
was unable, for two years, to engage in any kind of business; at this
time he again engaged in farming, which he continued for about two
years, since which he has been engaged as follows: Grading on 
Hocking Valley Railroad, taking charge of a squad of men for three or four
months; laying track about six months; took charge of gravel train two
months; foreman of laying iron three months; then took charge of
railroad switch for the Straitsville Great Vein Coal and Iron Company
for one year, at which time he gave up that position on account of the
many miners' strikes, and mined for two years, when he went into
grocery and provision store, continuing until the panic of 1872 and
1873, which obliged him to close up business, having largely credited
customers; again engaged in mining for about one year, when he was
elected Marshal of New Straitsville, serving three years, during which
time he also was constable. Resigning his office at this time, he accepted 
the position of guard at Ohio Penitentiary, remaining about two
years. Returning at this time, and engaged with the Consolidated
Coal and Coke Company, which had charge of the Great Vein Coal and
Iron Company's mine, at track laying, mining, and check weighman, for

413

one year. He was then appointed to his present position, mine boss.
He was married November 10, 1874, to Miss Rosa McClain, born May
18, 1850, in Monday Creek township, this county, daughter of Alexander 
and Mary (Hoy) McClain, They are the parents of four children, 
viz.: James F., Charles L., Sarah T., and Maggie.
     GALLAGHER, M. J., proprietor American House, Somerset. Born
September 28, 1858, in Reading township. His father, Charles E.,
was born in 1836, in St. Johns, New Brunswick. He came to this
county in 1842. He was married November, 1857, to Miss Mary
Dumolt, of Hocking county. She was born in 1834. They were the
parents of eight children, six of whom are living. M. J. is the
eldest. He and his sister came into the hotel November 22, 1880. In
December the old people came to live with their children in the hotel.
The father of the subject of this sketch died January 29, 1881. The
hotel is still being run by M. J. Gallagher. His grandfather, Francis
Gallagher, died March 25, 1881.
     GARRY, JACOB, postmaster, Maxville, Ohio. Was born in Reading
township. Perry county, Ohio, November 11, 1835; son of Charles and
Mary (Hontz) Garry.  Brought up on a farm, and at the age of
eighteen was apprenticed to the trade of shoemaker. Came to Maxville,
Ohio, in 1862, where he has ever since resided. Enlisted May, 1864,
in Company F, One Hundred and Sixtieth Regiment, O. N. G.,
and was honorably discharged from the same in September of the same
year. Was appointed postmaster April 23, 1879, which position he has
ever since filled with credit. Mr. Garry was married December, 1852,
to Malinda, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Strohl) Bowman, to whom
were born six children: Caramay, Ida Elizabeth, Amanda C., William
E., Harvey F., Elmer E., the two oldest of whom have passed to the
"bright beyond." Mr. Garry is one of the substantial citizens of Maxville, 
and can ever be found busy at the bench, plying his trade, in that
village.
     GIBSON, MATHEW, track layer. New Straitsville Ohio. Was born
January 17, 1849, in Northumberland, England; son of Mathew and 
Isabelle (Mason) Gibson. Was raised in a mining region, and began work
about a mine at the age of nine years, and has given his attention to
that business up to the present time. Emigrated to America in 1856,
with his father, who, landing in New York, went to Mason City, Virginia, 
where he still lives, and has been engaged in mining.  Mathew
remained with his father until he was nineteen years of age, and was
employed at Mason City about ten years, three months of which was for
himself. Since that time he has been employed at the following places:
Galva, Illinois, two months; again at Mason City about two years;
Coalton, Kentucky, about eight months; returned to Mason City, and
in September of 1871 went to Nelsonville, Athens county, Ohio, remaining 
only about two weeks; Lick Run about nineteen months. During
his stay here he was married. May 19, 1872, to Miss Mary Ann Parker,
who was born September 7, 1853, in Peach Orchard, on Big Sandy
river near Catlettsburgh, Boyd county, daughter of Michael and 
Adortha (Natress) Parker. They are the parents of three children, viz.:
John William, Ellen and Margaret. After his marriage he moved to
Shawnee, Ohio. where he lived about five years, when he moved to

414

 
Knightsville, Indiana, remaining about six months, and returned to
Shawnee, from where he moved in six months afterward, September.
1879, to this place, where he has remained up to this time and become
a permanent citizen, owning his present place of abode, and upon which
he has erected a neat cottage dwelling. Mr. Gibson is at this time a
member of the Town Council. While living in Shawnee he held the
office of Township Trustee for one term, and served as Street 
Commissioner also in that place. He is now Past Grand of the Kincaid Lodge
of Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Shawnee, Ohio.
     GOODLIVE, HENRY, deceased; was born July 8, 1808, in 
Switzerland, and died December 1, 1867. Mr. Goodlive was raised a farmer,
and followed that business during his life. He was married October
8, 1830, to Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Catharine Good, who was
born in January, 1812. They became the parents of twelve children,
viz.: Martha, Catharine, Mary A., Jacob, George, Sarah A., Abraham,
Elizabeth, Julia A., deceased, Matilda, Amanda and David L. In
1839 Mr. Goodlive came to Monday Creek township, which he afterward 
made his home up to the time of his death, and where his family
still reside, upon a farm of eighty acres.
     GOODLIVE, ADAM, Monday Creek township, farmer, Maxville, Ohio;
was born August 3, 1841, in this township; son of Abraham and
Christina (Bear) Goodlive. Mr. Goodlive was raised on a farm, and
has followed farming pursuits up to this time, except time spent in the
military service. In October of 1861, he enlisted in Company C,
Sixty-second Regiment, O. V. I., and participated in all the engagements 
of the Army of the Potomac. He retired from active service
in July, 1862, and returned home. He was married December 24,
l865, to Miss Martha Nunemaker, born April 1, 1840, daughter of
Peter and Catharine (Hammer) Nunemaker, of Hocking county, Ohio,
to whom were born four children, viz.: Charley, William H., Thomas
H. and John S., all of whom are living.
     GORDON, JOSEPHUS, post office Rehoboth, farmer and stock raiser;
born in Perry county in 1835; son of Samuel and Dorothy (Wells)
Gordon, who emigrated here from Greene county, Pennsylvania, about
the year 1834. They are of German and Irish parentage. The subject 
of this sketch was married in 1859 to Miss Harriet J. Kelly, daughter 
of James and Elizabeth (Shaw) Kelly. They are the parents of
ten children, viz.: John E., Samuel C., George V., Mary E., Emma
W., Maggie K., Joe M., Paul, Earl, James, deceased.
     GORDON, P. A., M. D., physician and surgeon, Junction City, Ohio,
was born March 7, 1853, in Perry county; son of Basil and Margaret
(Keeman) Gordon. His boyhood days were spent on a farm until the
age of nineteen years; then taught school and attended normal school
until twenty-five years of age, after which he took a course at the Ohio
Medical College, Cincinnati. Mr. Gordon located in Junction City in
the spring of 1880, and at present writing has established a good
practice. He was married April 6, 1880, to Miss Kate, daughter of
Michael and Rebecca (Beckwith) Forquer. This union has been
blessed with one child, viz.: Earl Augustine, born January 26, 1881.
Mr. Gordon is employed by the B. & O. Relief Association, for 
medical and surgical assistance.

415

 
     GORMLEY, JOHN E., book-keeper. New Straitsville, Ohio, was born
April 9, 1850, in St. John's, New Brunswick; son of Patrick and Margaret 
(Denny) Gormley. While living at home his father moved to
Boston, Massachusetts, in 1852, where they lived until John E. was
fifteen years of age, when they moved to Columbus, Ohio, where John
E. lived twelve years and engaged in business at the early age of 
sixteen years, with Miller, Green & Joyce, with whom he remained nine
years, first a chore boy and assistant clerk, after which he was appointed
entry clerk, book-keeper and cashier successively. He was next employed 
as book-keeper for the New York & Ohio Coal Company, with
whom he remained one year, when he came to this place and took his
present position. Mr. Gormley was married March 2, 1875, to Miss
Belle M. Cushman, daughter of George W. and Belinda (Mitchell)
Cushman. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Harry,
Blanche and Grace. Mr. Gormley's father, Patrick Gormley, was
born in 1816, in County Tyrone, Ireland, and emigrated to America in
1837, settling at St. John's, New Brunswick, where his family was born
as above mentioned. But after living in Columbus for some length
of time, he returned to Boston, Massachusetts, where he now lives.
His mother, Margaret Denny, was born and raised in Londonderry,
Ireland; was married in 1837, and died in Columbus, Ohio, February,
1870, where she is buried.
     GOULDING, JABEZ, miner, New Straitsville. He was born in Gurn-
diffath, near Pontypool, Monmouthshire, in 1837; is a son of Samuel
and Mary Goulding, natives of Gloucestershire, who settled in Gurn-
diffath early in life, and raised nine children, six sons and three 
daughters. Mr. Goulding married Ruth Randall, July 27, 1866, and the
same year moved to Glamorganshire, South Wales, where he was 
employed by the Greenhill, Church & Pentre Company to open a new mine
called the Church mines, on the number three vein. He was employed
by this company till 1869. In March, 1869, he started for America,
arriving in New York, March 28th. He was first employed in the 
Potomac mines, on George Creek, Maryland. After four months work here
he came to Jackson county, Ohio, where he located and sent for his
family in South Wales. They arrived in this country in 1872, and
after residing in Jackson county for eight years they moved to New
Straitsville, where he engaged in the mining business, and success has
attended him.
     GRANGER, GEORGE A., proprietor of the Merchant and Custom
Mill, New Lexington, Ohio, was born January 25, 1842, in Suffield,
Hartford county, Connecticut; son of Aratus K. and Cordelia M.
(Hathaway) Granger. George A. was brought up on the farm, where
he remained until he was twenty-one years of age, when he engaged
in his present business. He came to this place in 1863; he erected
his present mill building in 1879. Mr. Granger was married June 16,
1868, to Miss Josephine E., daughter of Abner M. and Margaret C.
(Chapalier) White. They are the parents of one child---Joan, 
deceased. Mr. Granger's mill grinds about one hundred and fifty 
bushels of wheat per day the entire year.
     GRANT, JOHN A., farmer, Saltlick township; P. O., Shawnee, O.;
was born August 15, 1828, in Fauquier county, Virginia; son of Samuel

416

and Maria (Hitch) Grant. Mr. Grant was raised a farmer, and has
followed agricultural pursuits to the present time. Was brought to
Ohio by his father in 1828, who first settled in Muskingum county, where
he remained until 1835, when he came to Perry county, and settled upon 
the farm of one hundred and twenty acres, where Mr. Grant now
resides. It was bought from Alvah Buckingham, who entered it.
When he came, he had to build his cabin and clear the land, it being an
entire wilderness. Here he lived until his death in September, 1861.
By will of the father, John A. became owner of the farm by paying the
stipulated sum of $900. John A. has added one hundred and twenty
acres to his farm, and erected a fine frame dwelling. After the death
of his father, John A. took care of his mother until her death in 1875.
Mr. Grant served as Justice of the Peace of this township for eight
years, and resigned one year before the closing of his last term. Was
township clerk one year, and land appraiser in 1880. Mr. Grant was
married October 13, 1853, to Margaret M., daughter of Robert and
Margaret (McClelland) Adams of Clayton township, this county. They
became the parents of two children, viz.: Robert F., married, and
lives in Nebraska, and Samuel R. Mrs. Grant died December 21st,
1858. Mr. Grant was married the second time, January 10, 1861, to
Jemima, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Watlin) Rockhold of 
Harrison township, Perry county, Ohio. They are the parents of six living
children, viz.: Iva, Joshua T., Maria E., Earl C., Roscoe Conklin,
and Mandie M., and one, deceased, Joseph Madison, died March 2d,
1875, aged eleven years and six months, with inflammation of brain and
lungs. This was an exemplary boy, who was fond of the words of God,
and became familiar with many passages; he was a regular church and
Sunday school attendant; said he was going to Jesus, and prayed for his
parents, brothers and sisters. His interest in the welfare of others was
more than ordinary, even remarkable; his knowledge and manners
would have adorned one of riper years, and will ever be a pleasant 
remembrance to his friends. Mr. Grant enlisted February 7, 1864, in
Company A, Thirty-first O. V. I., for three years, or during the war,
and served to the close of the war. Was engaged in the battles of 
Resaca, Buzzard Roost, Peachtree Creek, where he became disabled.
Was sent to Louisville, Kentucky, where he was recruited and 
discharged, on his way to rejoin his regiment.
     GRIGGS, SAMUEL, born in New Jersey, November 19th, 1794; was
a son of Daniel Griggs, and brother of John, Christopher and Joacum,
the first and last named having died in Pennsylvania, while Christopher,
when last heard from, was in Iowa. Samuel sent a substitute into the
war of 1812, and in 1833, came in a two-horse wagon with his wife,
who was Debby Fields, and their two children, John and Elizabeth, to
Somerset, where they rested until they purchased the Henry Bowan
farm, a few miles west of Somerset, now known as the Miles Dittoe
farm, which he sold in less than three years; and after visiting Indiana,
Illinois, Missouri and Kentucky, in search of another home, and finding 
no place that suited him, purchased the farm where he afterwards
lived until his death, and where his only son, John Griggs, now resides,
in the south-west corner of Reading township. Debby Fields, the wife

417

 
of Samuel Griggs, is a full cousin of the famous Cyrus W. Fields,
thus connecting the name of Griggs with that of Fields.
     GRIGGS, JOHN, was born 1819, in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania,
and was therefore only fourteen years old when he came to Ohio, and
seventeen when he began life where he now resides. He was united
in marriage to Miss Mary Lechrone, in March, 1843. Their children
are Katharine E., wife of John Kerr, deceased, and who ended her
widowhood by marriage to Joseph Newton Eyman. William Griggs
was married to Miss Josephena D. Eyrnan, daughter of Bryan Eyrnan,
Esq., and departed this life in 1881, leaving his wife, one son, and three
daughters. Henry W. Griggs was married to Miss Ida Phillips, daughter 
of Mr. Reuben Phillips, and resides in Walnut township, Fairfield
county; post office, Millersport. Watson Griggs was married to Mima
M. Neely, daughter of John Neely, and resides on the home farm.
The family is Scotch on the Griggs side, and English on the Fields
side of its ancestry. Here lives John Griggs, independent as a sovereign, 
his gentle wife and aged mother comprising the household---that
aged mother whose memory yet sparkles with gems of recollection, and
whose dark eye flashes with thought. Her son John has added to his
possessions the celebrated Lydey Rock farm, just one mile up the 
Wagner valley, from the Newark, S. & S. R. R., which contains a strong
magnesian, chalybeate spring, three feet of iron ore, and a landscape
wild and picturesque.
     GRIMES, F.M., farmer, Pleasant township; post office, Moxahala;
he was born April 7, 1844; son of David and Nancy (Hollingshead)
Grimes, both natives of this State. His grandparents were natives of
Pennsylvania. Mr. F. M. Grimes was born on the farm on which he
now resides, and his farm contains two hundred and twelve acres. He
married Miss M. E. Buxton February 6, 1873; she was of Monroe
township. They became the parents of three children, viz.; Burt,
born Dec. 12, 1873; John, September 16, 1877; Grace, June 21, 1879.
     GREINER, H. C., dentist; Somerset; he was born in 1828 in 
Somerset.  His father and mother were both born in Wurtemburg,
Germany. The subject of this sketch went West in 1850, and came
back in 1853, being inside that time one year in Dakota. He went into
the army. Thirty-first O. V. I., in 1861; he enlisted as Lieutenant, and
was promoted to a Captaincy. He resigned in 1863. He remained at
home six months on account of sickness. He enlisted as Captain in
the spring of 1864, and came back in the fall of 1864. The last time he
was under General Thomas. Mr. Greiner was elected to the State 
Legislature in 1879. He is the author of the famous "Hawk Bill." He
learned his profession since the war. He was married to Miss Mary
P. Rankin of Brownsville, Licking county, Ohio. She was born in
Muskingum county, Ohio. They are the parents of three children,
two of whom are living: Caddie, Willie, (dead); John D.

418

Next Chapter