HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "D"
DAMBACH, PHILIP JACOB, tinner, Shawnee, Ohio, was born November 28, 1848, in Lancaster, Fairfield county, Ohio, son of Daniel and Catharine (Shoeman) Dambach. Mr. Dambach was raised in his native town, where he lived until 1867, and where he learned his trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years from March 21, 1864 to March 21, 1867, with John Work & Son, and has since been employed at the following places: Chillicothe, O., Portsmouth, O., Washington C. H., Fayette County, O., stamping tin ware for M. S. Sager, six months; again in Lancaster, one year; New Lexington, O., Logan, O.; again at home sick for about eight months, and upon his recovery again went to New Lexington, O., with Morehead & Whipps about one year, where he was married in October, 1870, to Catharine Loretta, daughter of Michael J. and Grace (Kinner) Braddock, of Logan, O. They are the parents of five children, viz.: Gracie Catharine, Mary Elizabeth, Osais William, Ellen Gertrude, and Clara Louisa. After his marriage he has been employed at the following places: Lancaster, until the spring of 1871; Bremen, three months; New Lexington, about one year in his own shop; Straitsville, O.; Shawnee, that fall and moved to Iron Point, and into Shawnee the following fall, soon after which came the great miner's strike and he moved to Lancaster, staying nine months, and again setup in business in New Lexington, O. in partnership with his brother-in-law, M. R. Braddock, and in about four months broke up and made tin ware without the assistance of machines and by that obtained a livelihood for the winter that was upon them; again moved to Shawnee and since has made this his home. Has paid up all he owed, and now owns a business house on Main street, and a comfortable dwelling in this place. DANIEL, GEORGE, born August 5, 1811, in Hopewell township, on
the farm of his uncle John Daniel, who died in 1848. George is the only son of J. George Daniel, who came from Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, in the same year his son was born. The mother of George Daniel was Saloma Seitz. Two sisters of George, and elder than he, were born in Pennsylvania. These were Katharine and Saloma. Another sister, younger than George Daniel, was born in Perry county; her name was Lydia. The father soon moved his family to Somerset and here carried on the carpenter trade, but he must have stayed in Hopewell township until after 1815, for it was while living there that he made the coffin in which the Rev. William Foster was buried in that same year. After a residence in Somerset, up to 1820, four or five years perhaps, father J. George Daniel bought the southeast one-fourth section 22, Thorn, Perry county. Grandfather Daniel died in Pennsylvania, at the advance age of ninety-four. It was this grand- father Daniel that was the brother of grandmother Foster, wife of Rev. William Foster. J. George, who made the coffin for Rev. William, was therefore a full cousin of grandmother Foster, by blood. This makes their children second cousins, and old Uncle Ben. Foster and his brothers and sisters were second, cousins to the present George Daniel and his brothers and sisters, and the children of these are third cousins. In 1820 there were only thirty acres deadened on the farm. It had no buildings. The father of the present George Daniel lived on the farm forty years, and died in 1860. His wife died before that date, and her maiden name being Seitz, may interest others of the same name in Fairfield county and elsewhere. The first marriage of George Daniel was in 1833, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Andrew, and sister of the present, venerable George Smith, of Hopewell. By this marriage there were four sons and two daughters; one son died when a child. Jacob became the husband of Sophrona Dorris. Thornville post office; Samuel, the husband of Eliza Chaney, Fredonia postoffice; Levi, the husband of Martha From, Thornville post office; Mary Elizabeth, became the wife of Samuel Rarick, farmer, Middleport post office, Van Wert county, Ohio, and Miss Leah at home. The second marriage of George Daniel, was to Miss Elizabeth Troup, in 1848, December 12th, a daughter of Adam Troup and a sister of the present Israel Troup, of Hopewell. The children by this marriage are two sons---Noah,who became the husband of Miss Martha, daughter of Harrison Lyle, of Thorn. He is a farmer,and his post office is Thornville. The other son, George W., became the husband of Miss Mary K. Lyle, a sister of Martha, the above name. To go back to 1851, or 1852, the present venerable George Daniel, bought the then home farm of his father, who, with his aged wife, retired to a small farm of forty acres, in the same neighborhood. The price agreed was $4,000, one thousand down, five hundred in one year and two hundred dollars a year until paid, and one-third the crop during his father's life time, making about $6,000, as it turned out. The head of Mr. Daniel is twenty-two inches; height, five feet and seven inches; weight, one hundred and sixty-five and up to one hundred and eighty-four pounds. He holds the original papers, dated 1805, organizing Zion Church, and from him were obtained many interesting particulars, which appear under the head of Church History. He is Reform in belief, and Democrat in politics.
DANISON, HIRAM, born 1829, a farmer, Glenford post office, Ohio, is a son of the late venerable James Danison, who came to Hopewell township from Maryland in 1812, when his father, Jared Danison, settled on section fifteen. The sons of this old pioneer were William. Jared, Asa, Elisha and James, the father of Hiram Danison. The daughters were Elizabeth, wife of John Ward, and a Mrs. Petty. As late as the year 1830, James, in partnership with two brothers, purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 16, forty of which fell to James, and is the same land on which he afterwards lived and died. Tradition, derived from the mother of Hiram, asserts that James worked on the National pike, and thereby earned the money with which to buy and pay for this first forty acres of land, the price of which was then $1.25 per acre, due perhaps to its rocky surface and the date of its purchase, and the fifty cents per day earned by labor. James Danison died in 1864, owning one hundred acres of land, leaving his widow, whose maiden name was Dorcus Wilson,an aunt of Jeremiah Wilson,residing on section 21, Hopewell, With one son, Hiram, and one daughter, Mrs. Harriet Walser, wife of Jefferson Walser, Glenford post office, Ohio. Hiram has added twenty acres to the old homestead, comprising two hundred acres, of which his sister obtained seventy-five acres, leaving him one hundred and twenty-five acres at this time. His first wife, and also the mother of all his children, was Miss Rebecca Wilson, daughter of John Wilson, who died in 1865. Her children are Clararissa, widow of Ezra Plane, (killed by accident); Allie, wife of John Plane,Chalfants post office; Martha,wife of E. W. Cooperider,Thornville post office; Jane, wife of John Beard, Mount Perry post office, and Miss Ida. Hiram Danison married a second wife, Miss Huldah Heck, daughter of Henry Heck, late of Reading township. Mr. Danison has just returned from a visit to Richmond, Virginia, to inspect some of the wonderful bargains in land, and houses advertised in that vicinity of Virginia since the Rebellion. He professes himself well pleased with the prospects for capital invested and says if he moves there he wishes to take as much of old Perry with him as he can. DANISON, JEFFERSON, Monday Creek township, farmer, Maxville, Ohio. was born April 8, 1853, in Monday Creek township, son of Jared and Elizabeth (Ward) Danison. Mr. Danison was raised a farmer, and has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life to this time. Was married October 19, 1876, to Matilda, daughter of Thomas and Sophia (Huston) Kennedy. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Sophia Bell and Elsie M. Mr. Danison was elected trustee of the township in the spring of 1882. DARST & REAM, hardware. Began the business in 1879, in the room across the street. They now occupy the old Leavitt building on the south side of Main street, west of the square. They deal in hardware, agricultural implements, buggies, lumber, etc. DAUGHERTY, JOHN, Pike township, farmer, Maholm post office, Ohio, was born December 24, 1816, in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, son of Constantine and Bridget (Porter) Daugherty. Was raised a farmer, and has made agricultural pursuits the business of his life to the present time. Mr. Daugherty came to Ohio with his father at the age of seven years, who settled in Jackson township, this county, where he
purchased a farm that adjoins the one now owned by John, his son,and subject of this sketch where he lived to the time of his death,which occurred in April of 1860. Mr.Daugherty's parents were born in Ireland, where they were married, and after which they emigrated to America in the year 1811, landing in Baltimore, Maryland, where they lived seven years, and in all, lived twelve years in Maryland. After coming to Ohio his father gave all attention to agricultural pursuits. Mr. Daugherty, the subject of this sketch, lived with his father, taking charge of the home farm until he was thirty-two years of age, when his father gave him eighty acres of land of the home place, where he built a house and where he lived twenty-one years, when he purchased the MacGahan farm, and moved into the house where Janarius A. McGahan, author of "Campaign on the Oxus," "The Fall of Kihva" and "Under the Northern Lights," was born, where he now lives. He owns two hundred and five acres of land in range 15, in section 19, one hundred and twenty-four and one-half acres, and eighty acres in section 30, Pike township. Mr. Daugherty was township clerk in Jackson township five years, and assessor of same township four years, and in 1875 was candidate for County Representative before the Democratic convention. Was married April 26, 1846, to Miss Ann McGreevy, born November 10, 1819, in Washington county, Pennsylvania, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Carroll) McGreevy. They are the parents of eight children, viz.: James, born April 22, 1847, and married to Catharine Goodwin; Bridget, born July 26, 1848, and married to Henry Robbin; Elizabeth, born August 5, 1850, and died November 3, 1877; Mary, born September 23, 1852, and died May 4, 1876; Sarah A., born December 24, 1854, married to Patrick Hennesy; Philip, born March 6, 1857, coal operator at Bristol Station, this county; John J., born February 17, 1859, at home, and Constantine T., born December 19, 1861, at home. When Mr. Daugherty first came to this county, it was principally a woodland, and southward there was no dwelling for six miles distant. There was plenty of deer, wolves and turkey, and those were the days of buckskin pantaloons and moccasins. DAVIS, G. R., Pike township, New Lexington, Ohio, carpenter,was born January 2, 1821, in Maryland, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Essecks) Davis. Mr. Davis was raised a farmer, and followed agricultural pursuits for some ten or twelve years after he become of age. He was married March 24, 1842, to Rebecca, daughter of John and Ann (Guinn) Whips, of Perry county, Ohio. They are the parents of eight children, who are living, viz.: Ann, Jane, John, Letha, Lydia, Susan, Thomas J., and Sarah Ellen, and four dead, viz.: Martha, Elizabeth, Mary and William. Mr. Davis came to Belmont county, Ohio, in 1827, and ten years later to Perry county, of which he has remained a resident up to the present time, at first farming, and afterward running an engine of his own from 1852 to 1856, and afterward one at Sulphur Spring grist mill for three years, from that he took up the carpenter trade, working one year, when he went to Athens, Ohio, where he run an engine until the breaking out of the Rebellion of 1861, at this time enlisting in Company H, Twenty-second Regiment O. V. I., serving three months, when he re-enlisted in Company G, Eighteenth Regiment. O. V. I., of which Company he was Fourth Sergeant. He remained
in the service about sixteen months, and was discharged because of disability by heart disease. He now lives in New Lexington, and owns, besides the house he lives in, three acres in northwestern part of Real Estate addition. DAVEY, WILLIAM, Mayor, Shawnee, Ohio, was born December 2, 1841, in the Parish of St. Neots, Cornwall county, England; son of Joseph and Anne (Skewes) Davey. He served about five years in the British Navy. Three years of this service was on the west coast of Africa. When about twenty-three years of age he came to America, and located in Athens county, Ohio, where he made his home until about 1868. He enlisted in 1864 in the 18th O. V. I., and served to the close of the war. He was elected Mayor of Shawnee, Ohio, in April, 1876, and is now serving his third consecutive term. Mayor Davey was elected Justice of the Peace in the fall of 1877, and is now serving his second term. He was married December 25, 1867, to Miss Cecelia, daughter of William E. and Elizabeth Roberts, of Jackson county, Ohio. DAVIS, DAVID E., collier, Shawnee, Ohio, was born February 10, 1828, in Carmarthenshire, Wales; son of Samuel and Margaret (Oldham) Davis. Mr. Davis was raised in Carmarthenshire, and remained there until he was about fifteen years of age, when he went to Glamor- ganshire, where he learned the puddler trade, or what in America is called boiler in rolling mill, where he remained about eight years, at which time he was chosen foreman of a rolling mill at Llandaff, remaining three years, and afterward of a rolling mill at Workington for two years, from where he went to Aberdare, running a coal shaft engine for three years. Emigrated to America, and landed in New York, October 6, 1857, going directly to Covington, Kentucky, where he was employed at his trade for a few months, and has been engaged as follows: Minersville, Meigs county, Ohio, mining coal, sixteen years, from which place he came to Shawnee, Ohio, in April of 1875, where he has remained up to this time, and has been engaged as a miner, except two years he was check-weighman. Mr. Davis was married August, 1850, to Elizabeth, daughter of Robert and Margaret (Pugh) Lloyd, of Glamorganshire, Wales. They are the parents of two children, now living, viz.: Samuel E. and John L., and six deceased, viz.: Robert, William, David, Thomas, Mary Jane and Maggie. While living in Meigs county he was school director twelve years, and is at this time township trustee and cemetery trustee of this place. DAVIS, DAVID, superintendent Ore mines, Shawnee, Ohio, was born in April, 1840, in Llanboidy, Carmarthenshire, Wales; son of John and Mary (Davis) Davis. Was raised in his native shire to the age of twelve years, when he went to the coal regions at Aberdare, Glamor- ganshire, and was employed as a driver in the mines until 1860. At this time he emigrated to America, leaving Liverpool in February, and landing in New York April 3, 1860. From New York he went direct to Coshocton, Ohio, and engaged as miner, and was mine boss for four years at his uncle James Davis' coal mine. In 1864 he began boating on the Ohio canal, running from Newark, Ohio, to Cleveland, Ohio, which he continued eight years, and owned the boat called the "Three Brothers." At the end of this time he came to Shawnee, in August of
1872, where he has been employed as follows: Hauling coal out of Shawnee Valley coal mine, one year; superintendent of drivers for Newark Coal Company, until September, 1876, and at that time he, in partnership with T. J. Davis, of Newark, Ohio, contracted to deliver twenty thousand tons of iron ore from Iron Point to the XX furnace, which contract they completed in eighteen months from the date of commencement. At this time, December of 1873, he was employed as superintendent of the iron ore mines at Iron Point, by the XX Coal and Iron Ore Company, which position he still holds. He owns eighty-six acres of land in Trimble township, Athens county, Ohio, with twelve feet vein of coal, and a three feet vein of iron ore, the dwelling in which he lives, and one-half interest in the new Upson Coal Company store building. He has been a member of the school board for the past three years in this place. Mr. Davis was married in December of 1855 to Anna Davis, of Carmarthenshire, Wales. He was married in Aberdare, Wales. They became the parents of the following children, viz.: Benjamin John, James Howard, William, Mary Jane, Sarah Ann, Dora, Belle and Thomas (deceased). Mrs. Davis departed this life February 3, 1882, and is buried in Shawnee cemetery. DAVIS, J. W., grocer, Shawnee, Ohio; was born December 8, 1851, in Morgan county, Ohio; son of Samuel and Mary (Keever) Davis. Mr. Davis was brought up on a farm, and followed agricultural pursuits up to 1874, at which time he came to Shawnee, Ohio, where he engaged as a teamster, following that occupation for about two years, and then began to dray, and followed that for about five years, when an accident occurred by which he broke his ankle, which so disabled him that he was obliged to abandon that business, and has established himself in a retail family grocery store, where he is in business at this time. Was married April 13, 1869, to Mary J., daughter of James Devit, of Morgan county, Ohio. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Madgie, Charles C., and Bertie Estella. DAVIS, SAMUEL E., contractor, Shawnee, Ohio, was born April 13, 1852, in Monmouthshire, Wales; son of David E. and Elizabeth (Loyd) Davis. His father lived about three or four years in Aberdiaire, England, previous to coming to America. Emigrated June 10, 1859, landing in New York, whence he went to Minersville, Meigs county, Ohio, where Samuel E., the subject of this sketch, made his home for thirteen years, and has been engaged as follows: While in Minersville, mining and driving in mines; Jackson Company, at Star furnace, three months; returned home; Johnstown, Pennsylvania, three months, mining; Raymond City, West Virginia, thirty days, mining; returned home and went to Ironton, Ohio, in a skiff with three other men, a distance of seventy miles, where he employed in a boiler yard six months; Ironton tunnel, three months, driving in mine and mining; again at home, and next came to Shawnee, Ohio, where has made his home to the present time. Since coming here he made a trip West into Illinois; was also at Coshocton about two months, mining. He is engaged at this time by a contract with the New York Furnace Company, delivering coal for its use, which be has followed for the last three years, and previous to this laid track in mine, clerked thirteen months, and owned a grocery store at one time in this place. He now owns the property
in which he lives, at 132 Elm street. He is a member of the town Council, and is Past Worthy Chief of Good Templars Lodge in this place; clerk of Fire Department; and recording secretary, trustee and treasurer of the Welch Congregational Church of this place. Was married January 1, 1873, to Katharine, daughter of David and Mary (Reese) Reese. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Mary Elizabeth, Margaret, David S. and Rachel. DAVY, GEORGE C., merchant, Shawnee, Ohio; was born September 16, 1847, in Zanesville, Ohio; son of William C. and Sarah J. (Allan) Davy. Mr. Davy's father was a merchant in Zanesville, Ohio, for about two years, and from there he went to Brownsville, Licking county, Ohio, where he engaged in the same business, and remained in it some three or four years, at which time he engaged in the hotel business, in which he continued up to the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted and served in his country's cause. Upon his return from said service, he again entered the hotel business, in which he has continued up to the present time. Mr. Davy, the subject of this sketch, at the age of fifteen years, engaged as a clerk with his uncle in Roseville, Muskingum county, Ohio, where he remained employed for about two years, when he returned to Brownsville, where he clerked for one Brown, who was engaged in mercantile business; also for one Bell, in the same kind of business, remaining with both for some length of time. Next he went to Hebron, Licking county, Ohio, remaining about one year, when he again returned to Brownsville. Concluding to better his business education, he now takes a course of study at the Zanesville Commercial College, after which he went to Shawnee and employed as a clerk with the firm of Alf. & All. Krumm, where he remained about three years; at the end of this time buying out the firm with whom he was engaged, and went into business for himself, where he has remained up to this time, and is enjoying a good general merchandise business. Mr. Davy was married December 29, 1878, to Miss Clara, daughter of P. P. and Rose Comisford of Licking county, Ohio. They are the parents of two children, viz.: Nellie and Blanche: DEAVER, JONAS B., retired farmer, Rendville, Ohio; was born October 23, 1816, in Muskingum county, Ohio; son of Jonas and Susanna (Hoover) Deaver, a native of Maryland. His paternal ancestry is English and French; his maternal, German. Mr. Deaver, the subject of this sketch, was brought up on a farm, but in early life learned the tanner's trade, which he followed about twenty-five years. Also taught school a number of terms. In more mature life preached the gospel. He also is a chairmaker. Mr. Deaver was married October 27, 1836, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Michael and Catharine (O'Harrah) Longstreth of Deavertown, Perry county, Ohio. They are the parents of ten children, viz.: Henry H., mortally wounded at the battle of Chattanooga, Tennessee, September 19, 1863, and died on the 26th of the same month; Michael L., married to Margaret Talbott: David Felton, died in infancy; Catharine E., married to William P. Weaver; Jonas N., married to Hester Shotwell; Francis G., married first to Sarah E. Keeran, and second to Amanda E. Sherick; Erastus M., died when a child; .Thomas E., married to Harriett Groves; Sarah J., married to George E. Murphy, deceased; and John W. F. Mr. Deaver is an old
pioneer of Monroe township, having lived forty-six years in his present residence. About the year 1832 his father-in-law entered the land where Rendville is located. Mr. Weaver subsequently became owner of the farm. He began for himself in life with no financial aid, but by faithful, honest industry, he obtained an ample competence for himself and family by an intelligent and moral life, exerted an influence of great good in his community. DEAVER, URIAH H., Buckingham, Ohio, was born January 9th, 1851, in Morgan county, Ohio; son of David H. and Sarah Jane (Vest) Deaver, of English ancestry. The doctor was brought up on a farm; began teaching school at twenty-two, and taught seven terms; began the study of medicine in 1880, and attended the Starling Medical College at Columbus. He, with Dr. Kochenderfer, began practice at Buckingham, Ohio, in the spring of 1882. Dr. Deaver was married July 3, 1873, to Miss Jane, daughter of Ephraim and Eliza (McKeever) Koontz, of Bearfield township. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Leotha, Emma L., and Beulah J. DEAVER, WILLIAM E., farmer, Pleasant township; post office, Moxahala; son of Abraham and Esther (McCaslon) Deaver His paternal ancestors were Welsh, and his maternal ancestors were Irish. His parents came to Morgan county in 1831, and located near Deavertown, that town being named after the Deavers. His father resides there now; his mother died in 1864. The subject of this sketch left home when twenty-one years of age, took a trip West and returned and learned the carriage making trade. He next moved on the farm, one hundred and sixty acres, where he now resides. He married Evaline Rose of Bearfield township. They are the parents of the following named children: Charles, deceased; Ellsworth, Willie, Carrie, Esther and Millie. DELONG, J. B., farmer; postoffice, Crooksville; born in this county in 1817; son of Isaac and Nancy (Bowers) Delong; married in 1841, to Miss Sarah J. Taylor, daughter of Thomas and Mary A. Taylor. They are the parents of twelve children, viz.: Susan, Nancy, J. Wm., deceased; Mary R., George, James F., Sarah, Catharine, Isaac, deceased; Francis, deceased; Thomas, deceased; John, deceased. Mr. Delong is notary public at present. He served as County Commissioner some twelve years, and as Justice of the Peace about, twenty years. DELONG, T. J., farmer and carpenter; postoffice, Rehoboth; born in Ohio, in 1818; settled in this county about the year 1833; son of Edward and Rachel (Baker) Delong. The former died about the year 1846, the latter in 1855. Mr. Delong's parents are of French and Irish descent. Grandson of George and Jane (Ward) Delong; grandson of Tilman and Mary (McName) Barker. Mr. Delong was married in 1847, to Miss Secalia Snider, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Snider. They are the parents of eight children, viz.: Jacob, deceased; Francis, deceased; Elizabeth, deceased; William, deceased; Albert, Liddie, Lil. DELONG, PHILIP B., farmer and stock raiser, Clayton township; post office, Buckeye Cottage; born in Perry county in 1833; son of Isaac and Nancy (Bower) Delong. The former was born December 22d, 1779, the latter April 5th, 1788. The former died April 6th, 1842,
the latter in 1864. The parents of the subject of this sketch were married April 17th, 1808. Mr. Delong's father entered the land now owned by the subject of this sketch, in 1823. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of a family of eight children, two of whom are still living. He purchased the homestead in 1865. DENNY, ISAAC, New Lexington, Clayton township, Ohio; farmer; was born March 20, 1817, in Bedford county, Pennsylvania; son of Isaac and Ester (Gordon) Denny. Mr. Denny lived in his native State until 1854, when he came to Perry county, Ohio, where he now lives. While in Pennsylvania he was engaged in wagoning and stage coach driving, but upon coming to Ohio he engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has followed up to this present time. He was married July 17, 1837, to Mary Jane, daughter of Jacob and Nancy (McDonald) Richards, of Somerset county, Pennsylvania, who departed this life July 6, 1881, aged sixty-one years. They are the parents of nine children, of whom Robert, William. Charlotte, Ella, Jacob, and John are living, and Isaac Newton, Jennie and infant are deceased. Mr. Denny is nicely situated upon his own farm, and has a full sufficiency for an old age, which he bids fair to see. Few in life are so prosperous who are dependent, as was he, upon their own efforts. DENNY, W. B.; post office, Rehoboth; farmer and stock raiser; born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1845; came to Perry county in the year 1855; son of Isaac and Mary J. (Richards) Denny; grandson of Isaac and Ester Denny, and of Jacob and Agnes (McDonald) Richards; married in 1867 to Miss Anna S. Ogborn, daughter of Joseph and Susan (Usher) Ogborn. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Rosa K., Emma J., and James N. Mr. Denny enlisted in the army in the fall of 1861, in Company C, Sixty-second O. V. I. Mr. Denny's regiment was in the following engagements: Winchester, Port Republic, Black Water, Morris Island, Fort Wagner, Petersburg, Walthall Junction. Virginia, Deep Bottom, Deep Run, and Darby town. DEW, ANDREW J., Monroe township; farmer; post office, Corning, Ohio, was born in Bearfield township, Perry county, Ohio, August 28th, 1842; son of Andrew and Mary Ann (Getty) Dew. Mr. Dew was brought up on a farm until eighteen years of age, when he volunteered, August 4th, 1861, in Company A, Thirty-first O. V. I., and did duty with his regiment until September 19th, 1863, when he received a musket wound in the leg at the battle of Chickamauga. This wound caused amputation of the leg a necessity. Mr. Dew was married September 25th, 1870, to Miss Nancy Jane, daughter of Jesse A. Wilson, Hartleyville, Athens county. They became the parents of one child--- Elton Iona. Mrs. Dew died July 28th, 1872. Mr. Dew was married the second time April 1st, 1875, to Mary Jane Latta. They are the parents of four children, namely: Devine Dudley, Silvia S., Odis O., and Roe Roy. DICK, S. C., born April 27, 1817; married to Sarah Jones, January 22, 1843; died May 20, 1876. After his marriage he lived entirely in Reading township, Perry County, Ohio, except nine years that he resided in Clayton township. Began his married life with only a small portion of this world's goods, but by teaching for twenty-seven winters
and farming in the summer he accumulated a property estimated to be worth $15,000 in land and chattels, free of all debts, which he was never hasty to incur. His married children are Mattie, married to David T. Shaw, near Bremen, Fairfield county, a farmer, and Sarah, married to James A. Biggs, near Junction, in Perry county. The single children are John Wesley, the executor of his father's will; Jehu Brook Jones, Grafton Findley, Thomas Wilson, and Hattie E.,all of whom reside with their mother at the family homestead, Stephen C. Dick's example and success in life, working on the farm in summer, and teaching twenty-seven winters, prove that all the great, and good, and useful men are not bred to professions, or selected to make and execute the laws. He repeatedly sat down in the morning, and before closing his eyes to sleep, had the Clayton township assessor's book ready for the County Auditor the next day. Mrs. Dick's memory, like her physical frame, is strong and healthful. In 1824 her father employed one Karshner to hew puncheons for the kitchen floor. Karshner employed William Williams, afterwards esteemed the richest man in Perry county, to assist at 37 cents per day. The floor wore smooth and soon became not only useful but even beautiful. DICKSON, ALEXANDER, born March 23, 1826, farmer and carpenter, post office, Rushville, O., son of David Dickson, and grandson of Martin Dickson, who was a native of county Kent, Ireland, and came to America late in the eighteenth century, after which his marriage to a German wife gave to their descendants an Irish-German parentage. David, the father of Alexander Dickson,and his wife Mary Ann Cover, cousin of John and Lawrence Cover, came with their family to Ohio in 1830 from Fayette county, Pennsylvania. Beside David and his wife, there came with them their sons, Alexander, Samuel A., James H., and David Dickson, and their daughters, Margaret and Mary Ann, wife of Levi Downhour, all now residents of Reading township, post office, Avelon. Alexander was married in 1852 to Miss Ann Elizabeth Bryson, a sister to Dr. Bryson, of Millersport. The Dicksons all belong to the Brethren church except Margaret, who is a Presbyterian, and David, who is a Methodist. One brother, Martin, remained in Pennsylvania, and one, Searight, moved to Holt county. Missouri. On the death of father Dixon, his large farm was divided among his children by partition, and this arrangement gave pleasant but not extensive farms to the heirs, and is believed to be far better for them than a sale and subsequent investment in cash at that time. DILTZ, MILTON, was born January 10, 1830, in Fairfield county, Ohio, post office, Thornville; is by occupation a farmer, but being generally ingenious he works with the anvil, the plane, at edge tools, and other mechanical pursuits. His son Charles seems to have inherited these mechanical gifts and has produced some useful and very beautiful articles of furniture for use at home, and an elder son, Frank, now married, also manifested the same genius in wood working. These sons were reared (as all boys should be), to the use of tools, and inherit the skill and adaptability of their maternal grandfather, Benjamin Foster, and also of their father, Mr. Diltz. George Foster, uncle of Mrs. Diltz, also was distinguished for his mechanical skill. On the Diltz side also this same natural adaptation to mechanics not only exists, but there is
added thereto a disposition to read, investigate, criticise, and find truths in art, science, mechanics and philosophy in general. "Let us inquire," is the motto. Nothing is taken for truth that will not stand the test of reason and of criticism. Milton's father was Cornelius, and his grandfather was George Diltz, and is of Scotch, German, French and English extraction. His grandmother's maiden name was Sarah Crell, whose brother, George Crell, then a lawyer, was one of the thirteen pall bearers at the funeral of the great George Washington, the father of his country. The pall bearers were all of the name of George, and their number corresponded to the thirteen colonies. His mother's maiden name was Jaques (Jakes), whose father was John Milton Jaques, who lost his life by accidental drowning while going to or coming from a school he was teaching. His mother died at the age of twenty-nine, when Milton, her son, was only nine years of age, and she was buried in Salem. Milton was married February, 1856 to Miss Eliza A., daughter of the late venerable Benjamin Foster, who was the last surviving child of Rev. William Foster, of Perry county, and who died in 1815. Except a residence of six years in Whitley county, Indiana, they have lived in Thorn township, section 28, where they have ever since resided. Their children are Frank, married to a daughter of John Christ; Charles, and Miss Lizzie at home. He has land in Tama county, Iowa; has built him a beautiful new house, from which a steeple two and a half miles distant from Thornville can be seen, and northward the high lands of Licking bound the horizon. His head is twenty-three inches in circumference; his weight, one hundred and sixty pounds; height, five feet nine inches; his hair is auburn; his speech slow and deliberate, and in hospitality, intelligence, and solid virtues of good citizenship he has no superior and few equals. On section 27, Thorn, upon the great ridge dividing the waters of Rush creek, Walnut creek and Honey creek, a well was sunk thirty-two feet in depth, when a cedar or pine trunk of a sapling was found. It is in possession of Milton Diltz, section 28; is three and one-half inches in diameter, retains the bark, shows the heart, and the knots running into it plainly. The well was farther sunk to the depth of fifty-six feet without finding any more fossils, and was again filled up for lack of water found in it. Mr. Diltz witnessed a falling of meteors, November 14, 1868, an account of which he read before a society, and which is reproduced in this volume. DIMOND DANIEL, Jackson township, Maholm post office, Ohio; farmer and stone mason; was born November 20, 1822, in Cambria county, Pennsylvania; son of John and Elizabeth (Dempsey) Dimond. Was raised upon a farm to the age of 14 years, when he went to the stone mason trade, which he followed for 30 years. During the summer season, and during the winter season, was engaged in farm work, and since the expiration of the 30 years has given much attention to agricultural pursuits, but still worked some at his trade. Came to Ohio in April of 1834, with his father, who lived in Thorn township one year, Jackson township one year, Pike township three years, Clayton township one year, and again moved into Jackson township, where he continued his residence up to the time of his death, which occurred in December, 1844. Daniel lived with his father until he was twenty years of age, when he began business for himself, and has been engaged
at the following places: Marietta, three months on river dam; Hocking canal, about three months on locks; Zanesville, three months on Catholic church; in vicinity of New Lexington, five or six years in all and at different times; on Catholic church in Jackson township, one summer; at St. Joseph's College, one summer; Catholic church at McLuney, one summer; Catholic church in Somerset, one summer; court house in New Lexington, one summer; Knox county, Ohio, on bridges, one season; remainder of mason work was done principally in Pike and Jackson townships. In 1848 he bought a farm of forty acres, a part of which Dicksonton is now built upon, which he sold in 1852 and purchased the farm he now lives upon, containing eighty acres, which had a hewed log house upon it, and which he has supplanted by a fine brick mansion, in which he now lives. Was married May 24, 1842, to Mary McGahan, born December 1, 1822, in Pike township, this county, daughter of James and Francis (Brown) McGahan. They are the parents of eleven children, viz.: Frances, now in Knox county, Ohio; John, married to Julia Ward; Sarah, married to John Minaugh; James, married to Margaret Ankney; Mary, now in New Mexico; Patrick, married to Sarah Cochran; Mathias, in New Mexico with Mary; Catharine, in Knox county, Ohio; William, in Knox county, Ohio; Daniel and Monica at home. Mr. Dimond's grandfathers Dimond and Dempsey were early settlers in America, and lived to good, ripe years. Mrs. Dimond can remember when deer were plenty, and the wolves chased the dogs around the house at night time, and knew of a lady by the name of Hite, shooting a panther from the window of her dwelling. Mrs. Dimond is a half sister to Janarius A. McGahan, author of the "Campaign on the Oxus," "The Fall of Khiva," and " Under the Northern Lights." DITTOE, PETER, deceased; born July 18th, 1793, in Maryland; died July 30th, 1868, at Mount Harrison, near Somerset. Came to Ohio in 1802; served as a volunteer in the war of 1812; was a leading and successful merchant in Somerset, from 1813 to 1839; married July 4th, 1817, to Miss Ann Spurk, daughter of Peter Spurk, of Chillicothe, Ohio. They had eleven children, of whom eight survive. He was recorder of the county, postmaster under John Quincy Adams, Jackson and Van Buren; though a staunch Whig, and the devoted friend of Clay and Ewing. Without ever having seen an organ, and unaided, except from the books, he constructed an organ for the Catholic church in Somerset, over fifty years ago, which is still used there, and which sounded the solemn requiem at his funeral. He was a close student, a great reader, possessed of sterling integrity, a devout Catholic, an esteemed citizen, a kind parent, and valued friend. When he and his wife had lived happily for fifty years, their golden wedding was celebrated at Mount Harrison, the building on which was erected in 1839. The eight surviving children are: Elizabeth, married, first, to Joseph Elder, of Emmitsburg, Maryland, one son; second, to Bernard Wagner, lawyer, Evansville, Indiana, one son; Cecelia, married to Martin F. Scott, merchant, of Somerset; Francis R., married, farmer, died in Jackson county, Iowa, leav one son and one daughter; Lewis H., married, owner stock ranch, Idaho, one son; George M., editor, five sons and one daughter,
Newport, Kentucky; William T., married, lawyer, Davenport, Iowa; Gertrude, married to E. D. Wiseman, Peoria, Illinois, merchant, one son; Peter, Jr., married, farmer, residing at the old homestead, Mount Harrison. PETER DITTOE, JR., raised a farmer, left home at the age of nineteen, learned telegraphing; took position in St. Louis as tuner and repairer of pianos and organs, afterwards in Cincinnati in the same position, and after four years thus spent, he began, business on his own account. After trying his business in Covington and Baltimore, he settled in Evansville, Indiana, in 1872, where he became eminently successful, and in 1879 he returned to Mount Harrison, saved it from going into the hands of strangers, and is making it his home. November 21st, 1867, he was united in marriage to Mary Aloysia Zinn, daughter of Peter Zinn, of Wheeling, West Virginia. It seldom happens that so young a man, starting out in life when only nineteen, succeeds in achieving sufficient means to purchase so fine an estate, and retiring so early from active life, surrounded with so many of its real comforts and means of happiness. DITTOE, FRANK A., born May 9th, 1849, merchant, Somerset, Ohio. On his birth day, 1882, was married to Miss Mary E., daughter of Hon. W. E. Finck, of Somerset. His father was Jacob Dittoe, a native of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, who came to Somerset with Frank's grandfather Joseph Dittoe, in 1813. The great grandmother, whose name was also Joseph, came from Alsace, France, where the name is spelled De Toe. Jacob Dittoe had an uncle John, who went to the State of New York,---Francis, who died in Pickaway county, Ohio; Anthony, who died in Perry county, Ohio; Peter, who lived and died in Virginia,---all of whom were brothers of Joseph Dittoe, the grandfather of Frank. The mother of Jacob, and grandmother of Frank, was, in her maiden days, a Miss Helen Grimm. The uncles of Frank A. Dittoe were: John, a farmer of Perry, who died up in ninety years of age, in Perry county, Ohio; Michael, a carpenter, who died single, in New Orleans, about the year 1829; Joseph, who was drowned in the Mississippi River a few years prior to the death of Michael, and Anthony Dittoe, the youngest brother of Jacob, who died in Edgar county, Illinois. Frank's father, Jacob Dittoe, was married in 1826 to Miss Sarah Cain, by Rev. N. D. Young. The daughters born to this wedlock were: Sarah and Mary, of Washington, D. C., where the latter deceased; Miss Lizzie and Eugenia, of Somerset, Ohio; Margaret, wife of William Dittoe, a lawyer of Davenport, Iowa; and Cecelia, wife of Hon. T. P. Cox, of Lancaster, Ohio. The sons were: Frank A., the subject of this sketch, John, and William, who died at the family homestead, in Somerset, sole and unmarried, and M. J. Dittoe, who went to the City of New York nearly thirty years ago, engaged as carpenter and architect, never married, and amassed a large fortune, which he divides liberally with his only surviving brother, Frank A., and the kindred of his household. In 1879 the writer obtained the following facts from the lips of Jacob Dittoe, then in his seventy-eighth year: There was not a house on Columbus street, Somerset, in 1813, and not one brick house in all the town. It had two taverns, and one dry goods store. Then, too, there was not a house in Zanesville from
the present site of the court house there to the river bank---all commons, cow pasture, etc. Then Lancaster had but two dry goods stores, and the "Ohio Eagle " newspaper, St. Joseph's being the first Catholic church in Ohio. There came thither, not only the sons and daughters of the church to worship, but to enter the holy bonds of wedlock. Then, as now, no loyal daughter of the church would marry Catholic or Protestant husband who refused to be united in wedlock by a priest of Mother Church. Here the elder Thomas Ewing, afterwards the great jurist, lawyer, and statesman, of Lancaster, came to marry his wife, a Catholic daughter of Hugh Boyle, Clerk of Fairfield Common Pleas Court. Mr. Ewing had no notion of doing without a beautiful and charming wife because of such exacting rules of his wife's church, since these did not bind him to become a Catholic, but only the husband of a Catholic wife, which latter was agreeable to his preferences. It is a singular fact that the same priest. Rev. N. D. Young, who performed the marriage service, also performed the funeral service of this well known man. DONALDSON, WM. A., of the firm of Tussing & Donaldson, attorneys-at-law. New Lexington, Ohio, was born December 21, 1853, in Hocking county, Ohio, son of Joshua and Catharine (Marlow) Donaldson. Young Donaldson was graduated at Denison University, at Granville, Ohio, in 1876. He began teaching school when about seventeen, and taught three terms. In the spring of 1877 began reading law, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1878. Began practice with A. W. Scott, firm name, Scott & Donaldson, which was dissolved in September, 1880, when the present firm was formed. DONNELLY, J. J., Justice of the Peace, Monroe township, Corning, Ohio; born December 21, 1831, in Reading township, Perry county, Ohio; son of Hugh and Susannah (Galley) Donnelly. Hugh Donnelly is a native of county Tyrone, Ireland; was born February 22, 1794, came to America in 1821, and is now living in Perry county, Ohio. Susannah Galley was born in Maryland, of German ancestors. They became the parents often children, viz.: Mary, married to Levi Sisler; twins, died not named; Susannah; Joseph Patrick, married to Rose McGonnagle; John Joseph, the subject of this sketch; Owen, died in childhood; Catharine, married first to Patrick Daugherty, and second to David Webster; Eliza, died in infancy; Elizabeth, married to Elijah Blizzard. John Joseph, named before, was brought up on a farm, began teaching school at eighteen years of age, and taught thirty-nine terms. Has resided in Pike, Bearfield, Pleasant and Monroe townships, Perry county, Ohio, and one year in Miami county, Ohio. He enlisted May 4, 1864, in Co. B. 160th Regt., O. N. G., and served four months. In 1880 Mr. Donnelly discovered the greatest deposit of iron ore in Perry county, Ohio, one mile south of Oakfield, Pleasant township. He also has made several discoveries of valuable deposits of iron ore since. Mr. Donnelly was elected Justice of the Peace of Monroe township, this county, in May, 1881. Esquire Donnelly was married August 31, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Caroline, daughter of Patrick and Mary Ann (O'Ferry) Toole. They are the parents of five living children, viz.: Annie Isabel, Hugh Dessadarius, Philip A., Loretto Susannah, and John Sylvester. Patrick Toole was a native of the city of Cork, Ireland.
Mary Ann O'Ferry was a native of County Donegal, Ireland. DRAKE, J. M., Monroe township, carpenter, Corning, Ohio; was born March 24, 1847, in Pennsville, Morgan county, Ohio; son of C. D. and Hannah (Rusk) Drake. Mr. Drake was brought up from four years of age to his twenty-first year in Ringold, Morgan county, Ohio, where he learned his trade, and at the age of twenty-one years he went into business for himself. Was married January 7, 1869, to Miss Sarah E. Shell, who was born June l5, 1852, in Morgansville, Morgan county, Ohio; daughter of John and Mary (Dawson) Shell. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Ara Ellen, Hannah Louisa, Patience Elizabeth and Austin Hermon. After his marriage he lived in Morgan county, Ohio, for eleven years, when he moved to where he now lives May 11, 1880. Mr. Drake's father was born in Alexandria county, Virginia, and came to Ohio at an early day and settled on Wolf creek, Morgan county, where he lived up to the time of his death, September 18, 1879. His mother, Hannah Rusk, was born in Perry county, Ohio, and moved into Morgan county when a child, where she lived to the time of her death, October 3, 1875. Mr. C. D. and Hannah Rusk Drake became the parents of ten children, viz.: Rachel D., married to Franklin Amos; Sarah, died October 25, 1874, was married to Richard Williams; Matilda, married to John Hanesworth; George E., died in Andersonville prison, August 12, 1864; H. D., died June 10, 1882, in Corning; J. M., the subject of this sketch; Elizabeth J., first married to Asbury Kirkbridge, who died April 5, 1874; married the second time to Thomas Hamilton; Lucy E., married to Charles Scott; William C., died November 30, 1878, and Mary C., died September 2, 1875. DRIVER, ESTHER, Shawnee, Ohio, was born June 29, 1831, in Carmarthenshire, Wales: daughter of John and Ann (Hopkins) Jenkins. Mrs. Driver came to America in September of 1857, landing in New York and going thence via Syracuse to Meigs county, Ohio, where she joined her husband, James Driver, who had preceded her in emigration some four years. Mr. Driver had been a collier in Wales, and was engaged in mining at this place, which remained their home for fifteen years. Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in Company A, Fourth Regiment, Va. V. I., serving his full time, and was honorably discharged, returning home and moving to Shawnee in August of 1872, living here until February, 1875, when he departed this life, and was buried in the Shawnee cemetery. There were few houses in this place upon their coming, and they were obliged to take shelter in a barn, but now enjoy a good frame dwelling for their home. Mrs. Driver was married May 30, 1851, to James, son of James and Margaret (Bassett) Driver. They became the parents of six children, now living, viz.: Ann, Mary J., James, William, Elizabeth and Esther, and two who are deceased, Margaret and John. A peculiarity of the family is that only two of the children can see sufficiently to read. Some of the girls have been educated in the Blind Asylum, and have become proficient musicians, and give concerts, by which they are enabled to assist in obtaining a livelihood. DROEGE, EDWARD T., was born March 22, 1817, in the city of Dublin, Ireland. His father was of German descent, and landed in Ireland as a soldier. Edward, at a tender age, came to America with two
brothers and a sister, married to Lawrence Gill, who died in Philadelphia. His father's name was Hardwick Droege, and his brothers were William,deceased in Philadelphia; John, who also died in Philadelphia, after his discharge from service in the army. He has two sons living. At the age of seventeen Edward went to the saddler trade, and served over three years as an apprentice. Soon after he followed his brother John to New Orleans, on board a mail ship, starting December 23, 1838, and found the climate, after getting into the gulf stream, extremely pleasant, and the voyage very agreeable, lasting twenty-one days. He found his brother there as if by accident, and both being of the same trade, found their way back to Cincinnati, where they found an old shopmate of the same trade, by the name of Thornhill. They finally arrived in Somerset, and both obtained work; John with Thomas Wiles, Edward with George M. Houser and John Poorman, now of Tiffin, Ohio, whose shops were located on the Dittoe corner, where General Law had carried on the same business. At that date, February, 1839, there were five saddler shops in Somerset, some of these employing six workmen, of which H. C. Filler was one. Somerset then enjoyed the entire trade in saddlery for the whole county, and Squire McDonald, of Monroe township, was a customer. Edward Droege went to Zanesville to find the trunks he had left at Cincinnati, intending to go on to Philadelphia, but the fact of not finding them brought him back to Somerset, where he has remained ever since. Four or five months afterward Peter Smith found the trunks at Newark by accident, and they were then hauled to Somerset. Much trade then went by wagon to Newark from Perry county. Edward worked as a journeyman saddler to the year 1845. He was married November 22, 1840, to Cecelia R. Finck. They have living eight children--- Mary; Maria, married to Samuel Eder, residence Somerset; Charles, married to Ellen McEntire, residence Indianapolis, Indiana; Agnes; Julia, married to John Slinger, residence Bogstown, Indiana; Edward, married to Emma Migga, Indianapolis, Indiana; Lucy, married to Edward Droege, residence Indianapolis; Cecelia. Mr. Droege is a man of high character and persevering industry, and as an evidence of his sterling integrity, he has served nineteen years as township treasurer, and for many years also as town and school district treasurer, which offices he is still holding,. He is found every day at his saddler shop, where the business is carried on under the firm and style of Droege & Frymute. No man in Somerset works more days in a year, or relies more exclusively on his labor for a livelihood, than Edward Droege. DUCKWORTH, RALPH, collier, Shawnee, O.; was born February 7, 1856, in Steubenville, Ohio; son of James and Ann Duckworth. Was removed from his native city during his infancy to Syracuse, Meigs county, Ohio, remaining with his father in that place until he was twenty years of age, from where he came to Shawnee, and where he has remained up to this time, with the exception of three months, when he took a trip to Niagara Falls, Buffalo, New York, and Saginaw, Michigan, from whence he made a seven weeks' trip on the lake, and from Saginaw returned home. Has been employed at different kinds of work in the mines since coming to the place. Mr. Duckworth was married
December 7th, 1876, to Isabel, daughter of Robert and Dorothy Kirton, of Missouri, near St. Louis, whose home, at the time of her marriage, was in Shawnee, Ohio. They are the parents of one child living, viz.: James, and two deceased; Daisy, and one who died in infancy. DUFFY, PETER, was born in Madison county, New York, January 8th, 1837; moved to Chapel Hill, Perry county, Ohio, in 1841; taught school in Monroe township from 1859 to 1863. Was married in 1860 to Lydia S. Tinker. Moved to New Lexington in 1864, and engaged in the mercantile business with Ogle, Yeoman & Co., until 1866. Was elected to the office of Clerk of courts in November, 1866, and filled that office until February, 1876. Soon after his election to this office, he bought an interest in the New Lexington Herald, and was one of the proprietors eight years; first, under the firm name of Butler, Duffy & Meloy, afterwards Duffy, Green & Meloy; and still later, Duffy & Meloy. After leaving the office of Clerk, he sold his interest in the Herald and engaged in mercantile business, in which he has been engaged ever since. He has been an active and influential worker in the Democratic party. DUNLAP, JOHN, born June 28th, 1834, in Muskingum county, Ohio; a working man, whose postoffice is Somerset, Ohio. His father, Adam Dunlap, a native of Virginia, died at Point Pleasant, Virginia, at the age of fifty-eight years, a member of Company C, Thirteenth Virginia Infantry. The mother of John Dunlap was Lydia Bozman, eldest daughter of Benjamin and Priscilla Bozman, whose maiden name was Brady, and whose sister is the wife of Benjamin Norris of New Lexington. The grandfather of John was Josiah Dunlap, whose wife was Sarah Cox. The ancestry is Scotch-Irish. John Dunlap enlisted in Company G, Fourth Regiment of West Virginia, afterward consolidated with the Second Veteran Virginia Infantry. He taught school in 1856, and was married January 14th, 1858, to Miss Elmira, daughter of Thomas and Martha Davis, a native of Muskingum county, Ohio. Her parents went back to Virginia, when she was quite young. She has five sisters and two brothers. Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap have four children, all of whom are deceased. They have an adopted son, William Benton Dunlap, whom they took at the age of two years. He is now past sixteen. A former playmate of Mr. Dunlap, Mr. John Laughlin, whose wife and three children are deceased, finds a welcome and happy home with the friend of his childhood. John Dunlap, who has been in twenty-seven battles for the Union, owes his life to his wife's presence when sick in hospital; where she also was taken sick, sent home on a free pass from Colonel Lightburn, after which she renewed her devotion to the Union cause by attendance on the sick. John Dunlap was taken prisoner by Mosby, and with twenty-one others drew lots to decide which of these were to die. He was an inmate of Libby prison, and had the good luck to capture the rebel guerrilla. Captain Mobly. This Mobly had seven men, who would dress in blue uniform, assume duty on our picket lines and fix themselves for all kinds of mischief. This Mobly was the son of a widow whose residence overlooked the valley before, and sat at the foot of a mountain behind. Private John Dunlap was sent out to capture Mobly by strategy, a task to which he seems to have been fully equal, for he marched Mobly into camp at the point of
the bayonet. The full particulars of this capture are extremely thrilling, and exemplify the daring and address of the soldier and his captive, but too lengthy for insertion here. He is always hospitable, and has a Virginia welcome to his visitors. His head is twenty-two and a fourth inches; weight, one hundred and sixty-five to one hundred and ninety pounds; height, five feet, eleven and one-half inches. DUNN, JOHN V., of the firm of Dunn & McTeague, druggists, Rendville, Ohio, was born May 14, 1855, in Pike township. Perry county, Ohio; son of James and Elizabeth (Ward) Dunn, of Irish descent. John V. was brought up on the farm and taught school five years. In the spring of 1880, began the drug business at Junction City, Ohio, and established the present firm in the spring of 1882. DUNWOODY, JACOB, born 1818, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania; post office. Thornville; occupation, for forty years, shoe and boot maker. Son of James Dunwoody, a native of Ireland, and who married a Miss Margaret Sponhauer, a native of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. Both parents died in Pennsylvania. He had three brothers---one Levi, still living; post office, Bareville, Pennsylvania; John, who died near Pleasantville in 1839, and one who died young. He had an only sister, who also died young. Father James died at the age of fifty-eight years, after being a widower several years. Both parents were Lutherans in belief. Had he voted in 1840, the year he came to Ohio, Jacob would then have cast his ballot for General Harrison, believing Van Buren to have been extravagant, as charged. In 1850 he was married to Miss Emsey, daughter of the late venerable Thomas Smith, a native of Virginia, and who was one of the early settlers in Somerset, Ohio. But two of the seven children of this marriage are now living, the others having died while yet in tender years. The surviving son is Thomas Dunwoody, for many years a clerk in the dry goods house of Seth Johnson, Glenford, Ohio, for several years, and now the clerk of Hopewell township, and the husband of Nelia Graves, daughter of B. F. Graves of Somerset, a Virginian by birth, and, like the father of her husband, a shoemaker by occupation. The surviving daughter is Miss Anna, who is mistress of the homestead since the death of her mother in 1860, since when her father has remained a widower, carrying on a prosperous business in Thornville. Jacob Dunwoody has served his township as Justice of the Peace, Treasurer, etc., and no more faithful servant in these stations ever honored them by acceptance and service. He never used strong drink except in moderation, never used tobacco, and for some years past drinks wine and cider of his own manufacture. While his weight is only one hundred and thirty pounds, his head measures twenty-three and five-eighths inches around, and his height five feet eight inches. He is a member of no church, and his views are liberal and conservative. DUPLER, GILBERT W., formerly marshal of New Lexington, Ohio, was born August 16, 1854, in Millville, Hocking county, Ohio; son of Noah and Elizabeth (Williams) Dupler. His father's ancestors were German, his mother's English. At the age of twelve he came to this place, and began the carpenter trade at the age of fifteen, and followed it three years. Then he took the mail contract on route No. 21,243, from this place to Chancey, and held the place four years. He was
elected to his present office April 5, 1880. Marshal Dupler was married April 16, 1878, to Miss Almeda M., daughter of Lyman and Elizabeth (Rambo) Richards. They are the parents of three children, viz.: Burt F. and Roy, F. (twins), born March 19, 1879, and now, December, 1881, their weights are equal; and Mort E., born August 15, 1881. Marshal Dupler is a member of Company A, Seventeenth O. N. G., having enlisted in this company in March, 1878. DUPLER, THOMAS, merchant, Pleasant township; post office, Moxahala; born in Athens county, August 14, 1846; son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Edwards) Dupler. His father was of Irish descent, and his mother of English; both were natives of Pennsylvania, and came to the State in 1835. His father was a shoemaker, resided in this county, and died in Athens county. Thomas Dupler enlisted in 1863, in the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth O. V. I., and remained in the service until the close of the war in 1865. He was sergeant. After the close of the war, he farmed until 1872, when he went into the drug business at Moxahala. He is also proprietor of a dry goods store at Moxahala, and a wholesale liquor store at Rendville. He is postmaster at Moxahala. He is married to Sarah Biddison of Athens county. They are the parents of four children, viz.: Clarence, Harley, Fred and William. DUSENBURY, J. W., editor, publisher and proprietor of the Independent, New Lexington, Ohio, was born June 22, 1858, in Harrison township, Perry county, Ohio; son of A. J. and Sarah (Hitchcock) Dusenbury. At the close of the late civil war Mrs. Dusenbury, with her children then at home, moved to New Lexington, where she has since resided, and where J. W. spent his. boyhood days in attending school at the public school of this place, making such rapid strides in his studies that at the early age of sixteen years he graduated with the first graduating class of this place. Soon after graduating he became a teacher, and with good success taught in several parts of the county, the last year of his teaching being in the grammar school department of his own village. In 1880 he was employed by a Chicago publishing house as general agent, and for them traveled over the States of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio, remaining with them until the fall of 1881, when he returned to New Lexington, and in partnership with Mr. A. F. Moore founded the newspaper known as the Independent, which, by diligent and faithful effort upon their part, soon became one of the leading and most prosperous journals in the county, of which its widespread circulation is convincing evidence. In 1882, A. F.Moore retiring from the newspaper business, Mr. Dusenbury became sole proprietor, which he successfully manages, in connection with his school teaching. A business so aptly managed, by one so young, certainly points to better things in the future, as well as being an evidence of prosperity at the present. Mr. Dusenbury is one of a family of four children, viz.: Josie, married and living near Beverly, Washington county, Ohio; Jemima, who resides with her husband, Mr. Columbus Pletcher, of Junction City, Ohio; and William J., who, having graduated at the head of his class in the New Lexington High School at the age of only fifteen years, is at present teaching. Mr. Dusenbury's great grandfather, John Dusenbury, came to Perry county in 1802, and settled on Bear Run, in Bearfield township. His grandfather,
Benjamin Dusenbury, was also one of the oldest settlers, and here passed through the ordeal of a pioneer life, which is so well told elsewhere in this history. Mr. Dusenbury's father was among the first to take up arms in defense of his country in the time of the late Rebellion, having enlisted in 1861, and served over three years with the famous Thirtieth O. V. I., participating in all its battles, and at last laid down his life to fill a soldier's grave. His memory is perpetuated with those of fallen comrades by the monument reared in New Lexington by the then surviving members of the regiment. Mr. Dusenbury's ancestors, upon his mother's side of the house, were of English descent. His grandfather, Wesley Hitchcock, came, when a boy, from Maryland to Ohio with his father, who, on account of his anti-slavery principles, left that State and came to what was then the frontier, having freed all his slaves before starting, prefering to endure the hardships of the Western wilds to the wealth and affluence of a wrong-doing, slave- driving State. J. W. is at present residing with his mother in New Lexington.