HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY
Pike township is range fifteen, number fifteen, of the original survey of lands to be sold at Zanesville, Ohio, and was originally a Congressional township, or six miles square. It was organized into a political township about 1814, by the authorities of Fairfield county, of which it was then a part, and given the name of Pike, in honor of General Pike, an officer in the American Army in the War of 1812. Its northern boundary was, at the time of its political organization, the boundary line between Fairfield and Muskingum counties. Four sections were afterward taken from the southeastern corner of the original township, and incorporated into the new township of Pleasant. The territory which constitutes the present township of Pike, lies about one-third on the Muskingum, and two-thirds on the Hocking side of the great divide. Or, in other words, about two-thirds of the township is in the Hocking, and the remaining one-third in the Muskingum Valley. That portion of it which is in the Hocking Valley, is drained by Rush Creek and tributaries, and the portion in the Muskingum Valley is drained by the tributaries of the South Fork of Moxahala or Jonathan's Creek, the principal streams on the Muskingum side being Bear Run and Little South Fork. The chief stream of the Hocking side is Rush Creek, which has many tributaries, named and unnamed; Yerger's Run, Fowler's Run, Bear Wallow, and the stream variously named, along the banks of which the N. S. & S. R. is built, are the principal ones. The head waters of Monday Creek also drain a part of the township. The township is not only well drained, but well watered. It contains numerous good springs of pure and wholesome water, and good well water is almost anywhere found, and at no great depth. Pike township was originally heavily timbered with oak, hickory, ash, elm, chestnut, sugar, maple, beech, dog-wood, gum, poplar, and other varieties. Some of the oak trees were very large---the species known as the red oak and black oak being the largest. The original forest also contained more or less service trees, black and white walnut, wild cherry, cucumber and persimmon. The latter is yet a well-known tree on "Brier Ridge," in the southeastern part of the township. About three-fourths of the township is underlaid by two valuable seams of coal, known in the geological reports as the "upper" and "lower New Lexington seam." The upper seam has been opened and worked over nearly the whole area, and is one of the best burning coals in the country. The lower seam has not been opened or used so extensively, but has been well tested as a clear, dry burning coal, and is beginning to attract general attention. John Fowler made the first permanent settlement, erecting a cabin near the big spring, in what is yet known as Fowler's meadow, about
three-fourths of a mile east from the present public square in New Lexington. Mr. Fowler was a native of Baltimore county, Maryland, and came to Ohio on horseback in 1811. He stopped with a relative, James Thrall, who had settled a year or two earlier, in Clayton township, about forty rods north of the Pike township line, about a half mile south of where Rehoboth was afterward laid out and built. Fowler made his home at Thrall's until he erected his cabin over in the unbroken woods of an unnamed township, in another county. Even after he had his cabin built, he often went to Thrall's, and usually spent Saturday night and Sunday there. He had blazed a way through the forest, which he frequently traveled, and traces of ''Fowler's path" could be seen for more than twenty years. Robert McClellan and Robert Humes, with their families, came soon after Fowler, and they all lived one summer in and about Fowler's cabin-seventeen persons in all-until cabins were erected on an adjoining tract of land, which is the property of the McClellans at the present time. Jonathan Carroll, Thomas Wright, Samuel Clayton, Eli Babb, William Lashley, Nathaniel Rush, Reuben Skinner and several others, came in soon after, but just in what order is not now known. Jonathan Carroll settled near the west bank of Yerger's Run, on the land that now belongs to Thomas Mills, probably in 1812. Ira Carroll was born there in 1813, who was the first white child born in this township. Thomas Wright moved to the place where Jackson Wright now resides, in 1813. Nathaniel Rush settled on the land now within the limits of New Lexington, and which was for many years the property and home of Samuel Skinner. Samuel Clayton settled on the side of the hill, within the present limits of New Lexington, which was afterward, for many years, the property and dwelling place of James Comly and descendants. Reuben Skinner settled where Mr. McNeal now lives. Eli Babb located where Mrs. Kate Adams now resides. Thomas Selby now owns the land where William Lashley settled, up near the tunnel. The following names of pioneers have been gathered, nearly all of whom came to the township previous to 1818: John Fowler, Robert McClellan, Jonathan Carroll, Thomas Wright, Samuel Clayton, William Lashley, Nathaniel Rush, Reuben Skinner, James Comly, Samuel Rush, Daniel Hull, John Colborn, John Davis, Benjamin Coddington, Thomas Carroll, David Carroll, Ezekiel Chaney, John Smith, Thomas Clayton, Peter A. Vansickle, Isaac Barnes, Stephen Barnes, Samuel Skinner, Samuel B. Skinner, Samuel Smith, Dennis Kennedy, John Kennedy, Seth Kennedy, William Hume, William Roberts, George Ogg, Henry Rush, William Rush, Peter Strait, Richard A. Rudle, Jacob Wemmer, Aaron Skinner, Jacob Barnthistle, George Stiers, William Sanderson, William J.Moore, Benjamin Morgan, Ephraim Teal, Lawson Teal, Samuel Ogborn, Henry Stiers, James Chenoweth, John Grimes, James Skinner, Levi Melon, John S. Powell, Noah Teal, Richard Strait, John Hume, Jacob Barnd, James Spencer, John Wright, Andrew Wright, Moses Wood, Isaiah Rush, Jacob Rush, William Rush, Jesse Huff, Reuben Tharp, Thomas Wilson, George Spencer, Daniel Hollenback, Jacob Bugh, Jesse Bugh, Robert McClung, Barney Donly, James McGahan, John Hollenback, Barney McGahan, Michael Forquer, David Martin, Robert Sanderson, James Brown, James Jennings. Some of
these pioneers did not remain long, and removed to other parts of the country. Many of them, however, remained permanently, opened farms and brought up large families, and their descendants are numerous here and elsewhere throughout the country. In the foregoing list of pioneers, it was not the design to give the names of any who came in later than 1818, though, possibly, a very few of those given may have come later than this date. MILLS.---The first mill of which there appears to be any authentic account, was a so-called "corn-cracker," a very diminutive structure, built and owned by Nathaniel Rush, and was situated on Fowler's Run, at a point about thirty or forty rods below George A. Granger's present mill. There was considerable corn ground there, and, when the stream was full, the proprietor frequently ground wheat. The elections were sometimes held at the mill, or at Rush's house, a few rods distant, when Pike township was yet a part of Fairfield county. A little later, Samuel Clayton erected a similar mill, of somewhat larger pretensions, on Rush Creek, near where the iron bridge now is, at the north end of Main street, New Lexington. Isaac Barnes also had a similar mill situated on Rush Creek, near the Jackson township line. James Comly, who bought out Clayton, and became proprietor of the mill at New Lexington, subsequently built a larger mill on the north side of the creek. This was run by water power for a while, then steam power was attached. The grist-mill, not appearing to be very profitable, was finally abandoned, and the Comlys gave their sole attention to their saw-mills, of which they at first had two---one on Rush creek and the other on Fowler's Run, a short distance above its junction with Rush Creek. The latter was eventually abandoned and all the latest improvements put in the former, which was now owned and managed by John Comly, son of James Comly, deceased. This mill did much for the building up of New Lexington and surrounding country. James Law and Ira Carroll built the old Granger Flouring Mill in 1840. Samuel Arnold erected his in 1857-58; and George A. Granger constructed his in 1879, and, since 1840, there has been no lack of milling facilities in the township. Mr. Arnold also built a saw mill in connection with his grist mill, which he subsequently sold to D. C. Fowler, who removed it to his premises, and runs it there in connection with his tannery. There were, in early times, a number of horse mills in the township, but they were soon abandoned, or little used. SCHOOLS.---The first schools were very primitive, and, as a general thing, if not in all cases, held in old cabins that had been built for and used as dwellings. The first school appears to have been taught within the present limits of New Lexington, about 1815. The teacher was Jonathan Sturgeon, an Irishman. The school was taught in an old cabin that had formerly been used as a dwelling, and stood within a rod or two of the spring that is now enclosed in Andrew Stocklein's front yard, on Brown street. The floor was made of unhewn puncheons, and to make it a little even, the low places and depressions were filled up with earth. School was taught in this disagreeable place for three years. One teacher taught there, who had a wooden leg, (not Sturgeon) and
he received many a hard fall, from his wooden leg sticking down in the dirt, and catching against the projecting puncheons. About 1820, or soon thereafter, a log school house was built on the lot back of the Horahan block, on Jackson street. It was a very primitive structure, although it was designed and constructed for a school house. It had greased paper windows, a big log fire-place at one end, and school furniture to match. School was taught in this house for eight or ten years. Along about 1820, a school was taught near where Jonathan Nixon now lives, and, about the same time, they had school in the Thomas Wright neighborhood. One school was taught in an old building in Thomas Wright's yard. Some kind of a school was taught early in Bristol or neighborhood. Also down the creek in the Barnes or Vansickle neighborhood. About 1830, the township was districted, for school purposes, very much as it is at the present time. There was the Selby district, the New Lexington district, and the Vansickle district in the northern row. Then the David Brown district, the Clayton (Deaver) and the Skinner (Vanatta) districts. Then there was the Bristol and other districts, on the south side of the township. These have been somewhat changed. The location of the school houses has been changed, as a general thing, while some remain where they were fifty years ago. All the old log school houses are gone, and some of the districts have built their third school house. The New Lexington district has done this, but no more than this. About 1830, the New Lexington district erected its second school house, a frame,on the same lot where its predecessor stood, on Jackson street. The Stocklein spring building is not counted, for it was never designed for a school house. The frame structure of which mention is made, was a very creditable house, for the times, was well furnished, and occasionally accomodated seventy-five or eighty pupils. It was used over twenty years for school purposes, and then abandoned, and finally sold. From 1850 to 1858, after the abandonment of the old frame, schools were taught in the old Presbyterian, Second Baptist, First Baptist churches, and elsewhere about town, as rooms could be procured, until 1858, when the new brick Union School building being completed, the schools were graded and transferred to it. A considerable addition was made to this edifice in 1876; and now the question of yet more additions or an entire new house is pressing upon the people for solution. Saint Aloysius Academy is situated three-fourths of a mile west of New Lexington, upon a farm bequeathed for the purpose, by the late Owen Donelly. The first wing of the Academy edifice was erected in 1874, and the school organized by Sisters of the Franciscan Order in 1876. A second wing of the building was erected in 1881. The Academy, farm and other interests are all admirably managed by the Sisters in charge, who have rendered themselves agreeable and popular with all who have visited the institution, or had business of any kind to transact with them. The religion taught at this school is the Catholic, and it receives and educates pupils from various parts of this and other States. It is the design of the managers to still further enlarge the Academy.
CHURCHES.---The Baptists were the pioneers in religion in Pike township. Many of the early settlers had been communicants or adherents of what was known as the "Old Jersey Church" in Somerset county, Pennsylvania. This church was so called, from the fact that it was built and supported by people who had come in a body from the State of New Jersey. When the descendants of these men and women came to the Rush Creek Valley, they brought their letters,and it was not long until there was public worship in the homes of the pioneers. Elder Moody, who lived in Bearfield township, was one of the first preachers. There were also other visiting ministers. Rev. James Skinner was ordained about 1821. There appears to be no existing record of the fact, but the first Baptist Church Society was organized about 1820. There was no church edifice built until 1825 or 1826; when the old log church was erected. It stood very near the site of the present building, and on the same lot. It was about forty by fifty feet, constructed of very large hewed logs, and had a gallery on the second floor, which, however, was only used on extraordinary occasions. It had a high, octagon sort of pulpit, which the ministers reached by a little, winding stairway. Before this church was built, public worship was held, as stated, at the private houses of members of the organization. In the summer season, the services were often held in a large barn upon the threshing floor. Public worship was frequently held at the houses of Samuel Rush and Reuben Skinner. Rush lived and died where Mr. Jonathan Nixon now lives, and John McNeal now lives where Mr. Skinner did. There was also preaching at the houses of Jonathan Carroll, Benjamin Coddington, Thomas Wright, Daniel Hull, Samuel Skinner, and at other places. Preaching at private houses was not uncommon, for many years, even after the church was completed. James Skinner, after his ordination, as previously referred to, was the regular pastor for quite a number of years. He wore his hair long, was a reverential sort of person, and had considerable pulpit ability. His last appearance in the pulpit was to preach the funeral of Mrs. Carroll, widow of Jonathan Carroll, upon which occasion, it is said that he preached a memorable and unusually impressive discourse. He died in 1841. He had served as pastor of the church for a number of years, and also preached in other parts of the country. After Moody and Skinner, as regular pastor, came Matthew Brown, Thomas Harper, Martin Sperry, George Debolt, Thomas Martin and others. J. R. Vanhorn is the present pastor. Brown and Harper were members of the congregation and residents of the township, and nearly all the time had other charges in neighboring counties. Harper and Brown were both widely known and highly esteemed as ministers in the denomination to which they belonged. Mr. Brown is yet living, at the advanced age of ninety- seven years. He removed to Wood county, Ohio, some fifteen years since. The First Baptist Church Society was originally strong in numbers, wealth and influence, but deaths, removals, etc., have told heavily upon it, and though still a considerable congregation, it is not so strong as if was in its earlier days. It built a second house of worship, a frame structure, in 1845. This is a neat,commodious, well preserved house, and is the one in use at the present time.
This church is a member of the Muskingum Baptist Association, and the annual Associations of this body have frequently been held with it. The first Association in New Lexington, of which there is any account, was held in the woods near where the Second Baptist Church now stands, about 1823. Thomas Harper, not then a resident of the county, was one of the young preachers in attendance, and led the singing, which he was well qualified to do. A few years later, an Association was held in Skinner's grove,adjacent to the First Baptist Church. Subsequent Associations were also held there about 1836 and in 1843. An Association was held in Fowler's grove in 1858, and in Carroll's grove in 1877 and in 1881. The one which convened in Fowler's grove in 1858, was probably the largest ever held here, and many distinguished ministers were present from Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and other States. The Presbyterian Church was organized in October, 1837. Several members of Unity, who resided in New Lexington or vicinity, on presentation of a petition to that effect, were dismissed for the purpose of organizing the New Lexington Church. Rev. Roswell Tenny, Francis Bartlett, and Edmund Garland, were appointed by the Presbytery to organize the church. David Carroll, Hugh S. Hankinson, and David Brown, were ordained Elders. The lot on which the present church stands, on High street, was purchased for twenty-five dollars, and within a year a large frame edifice was erected. For three years the church prospered and grew, and then for a quarter of a century came the waning period, and at last, in 1866, when Rev. Henry Beeman arrived, the old edifice had been sold and torn down, and the lot on which it stood plowed and cultivated in vegetables. The early regular ministers of the church were Revs. Roswell Tenny, Francis Bartlett, and Edmund Garland. Then there was a vacancy of a year, after which came Revs. Edward W. Twining, John Forbush, A. S. Avery, Hugh McBride, and Warren Nichols. Then there was a second vacancy of over three years, and the church building, during the most of this period, was used as a school-house. In September, 1854, Rev. Samuel W. Rose came to the charge, who labored on until his death, which occurred at his residence in New Lexington, January, 1857. After Rev. Rose came Revs. Samuel Loomis, James Lamb, Theodore Stowe, and A. C. Stewart. The latter left early in 1865, and for more than a year the pulpit was again vacant. Lamb, Stewart, and Stowe, preached in the Second Baptist Church, the old Presbyterian edifice having become too dilapidated for use. Rev. Beeman also preached in the Second Baptist Church until the erection of the new edifice. The church was virtually disbanded and the church property sold, when in June, 1866, Rev. Henry Beeman, by order of Presbytery, appeared upon the field. Under his administration the church was reorganized, stated preaching maintained, and a new church edifice erected in 1870. The new church was dedicated September 11th, 1870. The dedication sermon was preached by Rev. Daniel Tenny. Rev. Kingsbury, of Putnam, was also present, who, with Rev. Beeman, assisted in the dedicatory services. There was a goodly attendance from Unity, Roseville, Uniontown, and other places, and the dedication
was an occasion of much interest. Mrs. Elizabeth Carroll, over eighty years of age, was the only one of the original members present; all others were gone. From 1866 until the present time Rev. Beeman has been the regular pastor of the church, though not ordained and installed until 1868. It must not be inferred that there was no Presbyterian preaching in New Lexington or neighborhood until the organization of the church, in 1837. There were a number of Presbyterian families in the town and neighborhood, and Rev. Moore, of Unity, as well as other ministers, had frequently preached in the old log Baptist Church and in private houses; in fact, Presbyterians and Methodists assisted in the building of the church with the understanding and agreement that at times when the house was not in use by the Baptists it could be occupied by other denominations. It was so used, for quite a number of years, satisfactorily and agreeably to all parties. Rev. Moore preached there frequently to his own people and all others who chose to come and hear him. He was known to all the old settlers, and highly esteemed by them, irrespective of sect or religious proclivities. There were not many Methodists among the early settlers of Pike township, and what there were had their membership, a number of years, with the church at Rehoboth. Asa Brown organized the first Methodist class or society at New Lexington about the year 1828, by the authority of the itinerant ministers who were in charge of the Rehoboth and other neighboring churches. The society was regularly continued, and prayer and class meetings held at private houses. George Gardner of Rehoboth, a local minister, probably preached the first Methodist sermon in New Lexington. It was his custom to walk over through the woods and preach, by appointment, at the old log Baptist church, where he was sure to have hearers of all denominations. The venerable Rev. Gardner is yet living, and is ninety-five years old. The Methodist society at New Lexington prospered from its organization, but in consequence of the near proximity of the Rehoboth church, and another (Saffells) three miles west, together with the smallness of the village itself, the New Lexington society did not decide to build a house of worship until 1839. Subscriptions were taken up during the latter part of said year, and, in 1840, a neat, commodious frame edifice was erected upon the site of the present building. The New Lexington society was made a regular appointment by Conference, however, years before the erection of a church edifice. The itinerant ministers preached first in the old log Baptist church, and afterward in the newly built Presbyterian church, until the time came when their own house was ready for occupancy. The frame church was used from 1840 until 1875, when it accidentally caught fire and was consumed. The loss was not considered very great, though the house had answered a good purpose, and the subject of constructing a new and larger place of worship had been agitated for years. Now something had to be done. The trustees at once decided to build, without delay. The present large, elegant, and substantial brick structure was the result. The walls were erected in 1875, and the Sunday-school, or lecture room, finished in 1876. This is, itself, an audience-room of large size, and church, Sunday-school, and all
other services, were held in it until 1880, when the principal audience- room was completed, and the church formally dedicated. This is one of the roomiest and costliest church edifices in the State, outside of the large cities, and no wonder the venerable Asa Brown, the organizer and leader of the first Methodist class, was deeply impressed with the great changes, when he thought of his little group of a dozen persons, assembled at a private house, and then looked upon this building. Mr. Brown spoke from the platform of the new audience room, a year or so since. The most striking change, after all, was the statement which he made, that all the members of the original class, excepting himself, had plumed their wings and taken the eternal flight. Mr. Brown resides near Kirkersville, in Licking county, Ohio. How many of the distinguished ministers of the denomination have preached upon this spot ! David and Joshua Young, Finley, Jameson, Trimble, White, Frazier, Mather, Phillips, Porter, Cunningham, Harvey, and Hill, have all ministered at the altar as Presiding Elder; and many of the most gifted ministers of the Ohio Conference have, at one time or another, preached from its pulpit. The greatest event, perhaps, in the history of the church, was the revival of 1868, when daily meetings continued nearly two months, and three hundred persons gave their names to the church. The Second Baptist Church was organized in 1842, under the ministry of Rev. B. Y. Sigfried. Public worship, for a while, was held in the old frame school-house. The church was at first composed of a few who had been members of the First Baptist Church, others who united on profession of faith and baptism, and yet others who came by letter. The society was not strong---in fact had very few male members---but soon resolved upon erecting a suitable house of worship. A lot was purchased, and a building commenced, of large dimensions for that day. There were numerous difficulties to encounter; the construction of the edifice proceeded slowly, but, in 1845, it was finished and opened for service. Jesse Skinner was the member who did more than any others--- quite probably more than all others-toward the erection of the church edifice. He would listen to no discouragements, was cast down by no difficulties, and was determined to know no such word as fail. He held on to the enterprise with all the tenacity and faithfulness that mortal man could show, and his long continued efforts were eventually crowned with success. This church has had a rather eventful history. Often without a regular pastor, it was never permanently closed, but ever kept in line of battle. In the early days of the church, visiting brethren were always made at home, and a good minister, of any denomination, was cordially welcomed to the house and pulpit, and most likely Mr. Skinner himself would light the lamps and make the fires. After Rev. Sigfried, Rev. S. D. Alton was the pastor for several years. Rev. Ferguson was also pastor for several years, soon after 1850. Revs. Heistand and Sackett also had charge of the church for a time, about 1859-60. Revs. Nochross and Amerman succeeded them, and were, in turn, succeeded by Rev. Sigfried. Rev. W. J. Sharp came to the charge in 1866, and remained one year. Rev. Churchhill, subsequent to this, was pastor for some time, also Rev. Lyons. Rev.
J.Chambers was the next regular pastor, who remained two or three years. After Chambers came Rev. Daniels, for a season; Rev. Tussing then succeeded to the pastorate. Revs. W. W. Marlow and Wharton were also pastors of the church, but at what time is not known- about 1867, probably. The pastorships were irregular and disconnected, much of the time, and quite often the pulpit was vacant. Meanwhile, Sigfried, Churchhill, Sackett, and other ministers, would make a visit and hold a series of meetings, so that the church was almost as frequently occupied as any other in town. When there was no preaching, there was prayer meeting at the regular hour. Sabbath, as well as Sabbath and Wednesday evenings. All these services, together with the occasional, and sometimes stated, preaching of ministers of other denominations, contributed to keep the Second Baptist Church open and in general use. The congregation is one of considerable strength and influence. Rev. Tussing is now the pastor of the church. The Lutheran Church, in New Lexington, was organized in 1867, under the ministry of Rev. George Young. Religious worship was first held in the Second Baptist church, for several months, and afterward, until the erection of a church edifice, in the Court House. A lot was purchased at the corner of Brown and High streets, a corner stone was laid, with appropriate ceremonies, in 1868, and the building constructed in 1868 and 1860. The edifice was dedicated in January, 1870, and stated preaching maintained regularly thereafter. Rev. George Young was pastor for seven or eight years, and was succeeded by Rev. Allen Wiseman, who continued one year. Rev. Walter succeeded Wiseman, and is still the pastor in charge. The church edifice is of brick, and is large, commodious, and substantial. The congregation is very regular in attendance upon religious service. St. Rose's Catholic church in New Lexington was organized in 1868. In June of that year the property at the corner of Main and Water streets was purchased of Samuel Koons. The brick house which stood upon the lot was remodeled, and converted into a temporary church building. St. Rose's church was organized under the ministery of Rev. Father Adams. There were few or no Catholic families among the very early settlers of New Lexington and Pike township. Before the Catholic population of the township had become numerous, churches had been established at St. Josephs, St. Patricks and Rehoboth, and a little later at McLuney and South Fork. The resident Catholics of the town and township were accustomed to attend one or the other of these neighboring churches. Occasionally a priest would come and hold religious worship at private houses in New Lexington. But, as the Catholic population of the town and township increased, the establishment of a church in New Lexington began to be agitated, and eventually ended in the purchase of property and the organization of St. Rose's congregation, as stated. Rev. Father Adams remained about a year, and was succeeded by Rev. Father Keogh. He was succeeded by Rev. Father Mortrier, who remained four or five years. Mortrier was succeeded by Rev. Father Meshenmoser, who is the present pastor. The old remodeled brick house was used about ten years, and then torn down and replaced by the present handsome, large and imposing
structure, in 1880. It was dedicated early in 1881, Bishop Watterson and other distinguished clergymen being present. The new church edifice is very elegant and substantial, and the site one of the finest in the State, St. Rose's has now grown to be a large congregation. The Baptists organized a society and erected a church edifice at Bristol, about 1832. The house was of good size, constructed of large hewn logs, similar to other church edifices erected about that time, or earlier. This society grew and flourished for quite a number of years, and stated preaching was constantly maintained. Of later years the church has not been quite so strong, and preaching has been more irregular. The original building was burned about 1839, and a frame one erected in its place which is yet in use. The United Brethren built a neat, commodious church edifice in Bristol in 1871 and 1872, and stated preaching has been sustained, as well as other religious services. The society is a zealous one and the congregation appears to be in a prosperous condition. The Bible Christians (New Lights) organized a society and erected a church edifice about 1831 or 1832, on Bear Run, some three miles east of New Lexington. This house was also built of hewed logs. Regular preaching was kept up a good many years, and at one time, the place had a resident minister, Rev. Hand. Stated preaching and Sabbath school are still maintained. The church is on the township line. SABBATH SCHOOLS.---The first organized Sabbath school of which there appears to be any trace was a union school in New Lexington, officered and controlled by men of different denominations. The Sabbath school was held in the old frame school house, (then new) which so long stood on the school lot on Jackson street, a little south of the old Deavertown road. This Sabbath school was sustained during the summer seasons, tolerably regularly, for several years, and until the Presbyterian church was built, and a school organized there. The Presbyterian Sabbath school was organized in the spring of 1838, while the house was yet unfinished and carpenter work-benches and huge piles of shavings encumbered the rear part of the building. The school was large, from the beginning, and was unusually well managed, taking into consideration the facilities and opportunities of the times. It made good progress for about four years, until the Methodist school was organized, and the Presbyterian church began to lose heavily by removals, when it declined rapidly, and was soon discontinued. After the erection of the new Presbyterian church edifice, in 1870, the Sabbath school was promptly reorganized, and has been held regularly, the year round ever since, with varying numbers, of course, and is at this time in a very prosperous condition. The Methodists, soon after the completion of their church building, in 1841, organized a Sabbath school, which has been continued, with varying success, down to the present time. For several years after the original organization, the school adjourned over the winter months. This custom was eventually abandoned, and the school kept up the year round. This school, for the most part, has been prosperous and flourishing from its commencement, though, of course, not always in the same degree. At one time---about 1871-72, it enrolled considerably
over three hundred members, and from two to three hundred were in constant attendance. Neither enrollment nor attendance is so high now as then, though both are creditable and encouraging. The Second Baptist Church organized a Sabbath school not long after their house was constructed, and the school still continues. Like the other early schools, for a number of years, it adjourned over the winter mouths, but finally came to be held throughout the entire year. This school has experienced a varied success, corresponding, in some degree, at least, to the waxing and waning fortunes of the church itself. It has usually, however, been in a good, encouraging condition, and is so represented at the present time. The late Jesse Skinner was superintendent of the school for more than twenty years. Sabbath schools have been held in connection with the Baptist and United Brethren churches in Bristol, and a school is held at the Brethren church, at the present time. A Sabbath school was, for a time, held at the Bible Christian church on Bear Run, but never with much regularity. CEMETERIES.---The cemetery adjacent to the M. E. church, in New Lexington, was established in 1819 or 1820. The first burial in the cemetery attached to the First Baptist church was in 1822, the body of Jonathan Carroll being the first interment. The first interments were made in the Vansickle burial ground at a very early day. A large number of kindred, and probably a few others, are interred therein. The burial ground adjacent to the Baptist church at Bristol was first used about 1836, the time not definitely known. Previous to the establishment of public burying grounds in Pike township, a number of interments were made, from this township, in the Methodist grave-yard at Rehoboth and also in Thrall's family grave-yard, on the Thrall farm, in Clayton township. The New Lexington cemetery, comprising a tract of about thirty acres, was purchased jointly by the town and township, laid off into burial lots, walks, and streets, and opened to public use in 1874. The first interment was the body of the late Colonel D. W. D. Marsh, in December, 1874. Soon after this date, several removals were made of bodies from the older cemeteries in town to the new cemetery. Though only a few years have passed, a large number of interments have been made, and quite a number of beautiful and even costly monuments erected. New Lexington cemetery is situated on a beautiful, commanding eminence, south of town, is planted in forest trees, and is nicely set in grass or laid off into walks and drives. Towns and cities of living, animated beings, may increase or decrease, but it needs no prophet to tell how populous must become, in time, this silent, sacred city of the dead. NEW LEXINGTON.--New Lexington was founded in 1817, by James Comly, who had bought Samuel Clayton's farm, including a grist-mill, situated on Rush Creek. In order to have the streets run just as was desired, a few lots at the east end of the town were from the lands of John Comly, a brother of James. This John Comly lived not far from the present residence of Robert Huston, on the same farm, at the old
house a few rods above the big spring. The Comlys were of Quaker ancestry, and originally came from Pennsylvania. James Comly first settled in Pickaway county, not far from Circleville, but the family were constantly sick, and while the husband was bed-fast with malarial fever, of long duration, the farm was sold and the family removed to Perry county, and bought, as already related. It is a singular fact that Mr. Comly, after recovering from his long illness, had not the slightest recollection of selling his Pickaway land or of signing the deed. The principal negotiations had, in fact, been made by the wife and mother, although it was supposed, of course, that Mr. Comly understood and sanctioned all that was done. He never had any disposition to disturb titles, however, and the purchasers remained in quiet and undisturbed possession. New Lexington was named after the immortal Lexington, of Revolutionary fame. The original town plat consisted of only sixty-four lots, containing one fourth of an acre each. The town had three parallel streets, Main, Jackson and High; there were also two alleys, east and west. The trees had been felled, but the lots and streets were full of stumps and brush. The lots were sold at public auction. An auctioneer of some note, whose name was Gray, was engaged to cry the sale. Persons yet living, who were present at the sale, have a distinct recollection of the auctioneer and some of the incidents of the sale. The auctioneer had an oily tongue and possessed the gift of gab, which traits likewise distinguish some of his gifted successors. The town was centrally located, declaimed the eloquent Gray, half way between all other places, near the center of what would be a New County, would eventually be a county town, and a place of commerce and consequence. After an expenditure of considerable elocution, the first lot was sold for twenty-five dollars. Some of the lots brought fifty dollars. The prices ranged from twenty to fifty dollars, though some of the lots sold for less than twenty. James Comly did not become rich by the enterprise of laying out the town, but he probably made as much as he anticipated. Jacob Barnthistle built the first house in town, on the lot where Berkimer and Kishler's buggy factory now stands. It was a good sized dwelling house, built of hewed logs, and stood back from the street. Barnthistle was a tanner. His tan-house and vats were on the lot where Hixon Hunt now resides, just back of the Barnthistle residence. The dwelling house and the old tan-house, were not torn down until after New Lexington had become a railroad and county town. The second house, a dwelling, was erected on the lot now owned by John Smith. The third house was built by Ezekiel Cheney,at the east corner of the Public Square. Before it was altogether completed, it was sold to Jacob Barnd, Esq. Elder of Somerset, opened the first store in the place. Jacob Barnthistle started a Tannery, already referred to. Jacob Barnd was a hatter by trade. He built a shop, bought furs, and manufactured hats and caps for the early settlers, and their numerous progeny of boys. He also kept tavern. His tavern sign read thus: "Temperance House, by J. Barnd." It had no bar attached, and, in that respect, differed from nearly all other taverns of the period. In a short time a carding and fulling mill was put up on the south corner of the Public Square, directly opposite the Barnd tavern. This mill had an immense wheel,
and was run by horse or cattle power. Smith Riley and Alexander Brown run the factory for a number of years. The village soon boasted of a sawmill, grist-mill, carding and fulling-mill, store, tavern, postoffice. tannery, church, school-house, blacksmith shop, hat shop, shoe shop, and about a score of dwelling houses. It grew very slowly, however, until about 1840, when it appeared to receive a new impetus, increased more rapidly in population and business, and, not long after that date, became a corporate town. As has been hereinbefore related, the original town plat consisted of only sixty-four lots, and, for twenty-seven years, there appeared to be nothing like a necessity for any addition. But the additions came on in course of time, numerous enough. The first was Bugh's addition, April 12, 1844; Fates' came next, September 9, 1845; (Comly's first addition, October 27, 1849; Skinner's, January 17, 1850; Bastian's, March 6, 1854; Comly's new addition, June 15, 1854; Huston's first addition, December 19, 1854; Bastian's Station addition, August 3, 1855; Rothran and Mackin's, August 25, 1856; Railroad, March 5, 1857; Houston's second, March 17, 1857; Central, December 6, 1856; Northwestern, April 15, 1859; Carroll's, April 25, 1860; Comly's third addition, March 6, 1868; Kelley's, March 8, 1871; North, August 21, 1872; Northwest, June 1, 1873; South, August 15, 1873; Kelley's second, February 2, 1874. These numerous additions exhibit, in a good degree, the growth and expansion of the town since 1844. The population did not much exceed one hundred in 1840. It was 836 in 1860, 954 in 1876, and 1,357 in 1880. These figures, however, do not include all that may very properly be called the town. The corporate limits are, for some reason, very much circumscribed. For example, all the flouring mills are outside the corporate limits. The south side of Mill street is also all outside. Some twelve or thirteen roads lead into the place, and for a mile or more from the Court House, on almost every road, are scattering houses, and groups of houses, which, for all practical purposes, belong to the town, and these suburban residences are constantly on the increase. New Lexington now contains six churches, a post office, one union depot, two telegraph offices, one opera house, one union school-house of eight rooms, one female academy, three newspapers, one bank, three flouring mills, one planing mill, door and sash factory, one hub and spoke factory, one woolen mill, one foundry, corn and cob mill factory, two wagon and buggy factories, three hotels, five dry goods stores, two hardware stores, two drug stores, one drug and jewelry store, seven groceries, two bakeries, two cabinet-ware establishments, two tin shops, four shoe shops, two merchant tailoring establishments, one shoe store, five millinery stores, four blacksmith shops, three ice cream and oyster saloons, three barber shops, two book stores, two butcher shops or meat stores, two livery stables, one marble shop, two tanneries, one saw mill, one cigar factory, and ten saloons, several of them with billiard tables attached. The town also contains fourteen lawyers, five physicians and two dentists. New Lexington has two railroads, the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley, and the Ohio Central. The principal streets are graded and
macadamized with "chert," a flinty stone found within and near the corporate limits, in great abundance. As a result of the natural lay of the land, and the grading that has been done, the general drainage is complete and satisfactory. The original plat, and much of the additions thereto, are situated on a western spur of the great Divide which is distant two or three miles to the south and east. Rush Creek flows at the base of the spur on the north side, and Fowler's Run---a considerable stream---on the south and east. These creeks unite about half a mile west of the Court House, just outside the corporate boundary. Yerger's Run---not quite so large as Fowler's-flows into the west end of the town from the north, and empties into Rush Creek about twenty rods below the mouth of Fowler's Run. The town, in pursuance of the laws of its growth, has overspread all the available part of the spur, and has extended into and beyond the valleys of Rush Creek, Fowler's Run and Yerger's Run. The later improvements appear to be creeping up the hill-sides to the summit of other spurs of the same great Divide, to which reference has been made. Considerable building is in progress, during the present season of 1882. LODGES.---The New Lexington Masonic Lodge No. 250, was chartered and organized in 1854, and has continued in regular working order to the present time. New Lexington Lodge No. 241 of I. 0. 0.F. was organized in 1853, and continues to the present. The New Lexington Division of Sons of Temperance was organized in 1844, and was sustained seven years, when it disbanded. The New Lexington Lodge of Good Templars was organized in 1866, continued six years and disbanded in 1873. A Lodge of Foresters was instituted a few years since, but did not long continue. A Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in New Lexington in 1873, and continued for several years, but is now disbanded. A Chapter of Royal Arch Masons has recently been organized. BANKS.---The First National Bank of New Lexington was organized in 1872, and located in the Mackin building on the south corner of the Public Square. The bank bought ground made vacant by the fire of 1874, and erected the present bank building in the latter part of the year named. The National Bank charter was voluntarily surrendered, and the concern reorganized as a private bank of deposit and discount, in 1877, under the name and style of Perry County Bank, and continues to do business as such at the present time. The institution has, since its organization, had the confidence of the public, and receives a liberal patronage. The Farmers' and Miners' Bank was also organized in 1872, and located in the room where the postoffice now is, in the Marsh block. It did business for a year or two, then wound up its affairs honorably and discontinued. The Perry County Bank is now the only one in New Lexington. THE FIRE OF 1874---The fire of February, 1874, was one of the most notable and certainly the most disastrous occurrence in the history of New Lexington. The fire originated in Dr. A. White's drug store,
and, as the room was in a great part filled with highly combustible materials, it was full of smoke and flame before any one could enter. Dr. White occupied the second story as a residence, and so quickly did the fire spread, and break into the upper story, that several members of the family barely effected their escape, without other apparel than their night clothes. Horahan's block, in which White's drug store was situated, was a frame building. Jacob Nease occupied the basement story as a billiard saloon. J. V. Ward & Brother's grocery store, and Dr. White's drug store were in the second story, on a level with the front pavement. Dr. White occupied the whole upper story as a dwelling. There were screams of women and children heard, then cries of fire, and soon all the bells of town were sounding the alarm. It was about midnight, and all were in bed asleep; but in an incredible short space of time, it seemed that everybody was on the streets, for they were crowded with men and women. The fire had made much headway, in fact had broken out with such force and volume as to almost paralyze beholders, and it appeared as though nothing could be done to stay the mad career of smoke and fire. The people stood everywhere with buckets and water, but what could be done? There was a strong gale from the north, and the flames quickly flew to the large produce building of J. D. Webster, and then on to J. W. Montgomery's grocery store, and the large new block in which P. J. Kelley lived, and also had a large business room, just then vacant. Next to the P. J. Kelley property, and between it and the Diller block, was a narrow alley. Before the advancing flames had reached the Kelley block, it was decided that a strong effort should be made to stop the fire at the alley between Kelley and Diller's. Diller's block was covered with carpets and fairly drenched and saturated with water. The roof was full of men, brave and strong, who constantly threw water on every part of the house, and especially on the side nearest the fire. The water buckets were passed up on ladders to the roof. All the while onward came the crackling, roaring flames, and pushed their fiery tongues over into the alley, and at last against the Diller building. Still the battle went on. The buckets of water came faster and thicker, and were dashed against the side or on the roof. The Diller block took fire and began to blaze, but the blaze was drowned out, at first, only to come again and with greater violence; and then it was apparent that the battle was lost. The fiery flames had won. Slowly and reluctantly the men retired from the roof. Some of them were so determined, that they had to be almost forced away. Onward moved the devouring monster, and, in a very short time, the Diller building was all ablaze. It was evident to those who were watching the fire and noting its progress, that there was no chance of saving the houses between the alley already referred to, and East Alley, some fifteen or twenty rods distant. This was a somewhat wider alley, and the last house next to it was a small frame building, one story in height. Just across the alley stood the large two-story furniture establishment of J. C. Elder. It was determined to tear down the one-story house, and keep the Elder block as wet as water would make it. Axes, crowbars and pike poles were brought into requisition, and the one-story house cut down and pulled to pieces. A strong cable was attached to the different fragments,
and scores of men laid hold and pulled the debris out of the reach of the fire. There was no time to lose. Onward came the fire, sweeping everything before it. The J. D. Bowman building, the Meloy and Milligan furniture building,. Mrs. Forquer's and Mrs. Lizzie Colborn's dwelling houses were in the track of the fire, and, of course, consumed. The old one-story house which was owned by Newton Thacker, was hardly razed and pulled out of the way, until the fire was there with its angry tongues, and threatening sparks and flames. It appeared to have gained force and volume as it progressed, and fears were entertained that it would leap across the space where stood the one-story house, and across the alley, and set on fire the Elder block. The Elder roof had as many men on it as could work, and water was rapidly passed up the ladders to them. It was for a time feared that the battle would be but a repetition of the one at the preceding alley. Just here, and at a critical moment, when water appeared to be getting a little scarce, a woman who was known to but few present, in a firing commanding voice, and apparently with authority, organized a new line for passing water buckets, which did very effective work. As the names of none of the other brave and efficient workers have been mentioned, hers will not be either, though she was spoken of after the fire in terms of great admiration. When the fire began to diminish, with the Elder building still safe, and it became apparent that the destroying flames were at last under control, cheers and shouts of joy went up, the like of which is seldom heard. The houses on the opposite side of the street were very much blistered, and the glass in many of the windows and doors was cracked by the intense heat, and only the utmost vigilance and watchfulness prevented them all from going. The wind carried the sparks and coals of fire to a great distance, and several roofs were set on fire, but were put out without doing any great damage. The aggregate losses by this fire, in real estate and personal property, were estimated at fifty thousand dollars. With the exception of the first two or three buildings burned, the principal portion of the personal property was saved, much of it, however, in a damaged condition. The best blocks in town have since been erected on the burnt district, but the space made vacant by the fire, has not yet all been filled. THE CRUSADE.---The crusade began in January, 1874, at Hillsboro and Washington Court House, and soon after the wave struck New Lexington. The first meeting was a night one held in the Methodist Episcopal Church. The house was filled to overflowing. Organization was effected, and the next day a band of praying women, to the number of seventy-five or eighty, set out from the Presbyterian Church to pray at the drug stores, saloons and all other places where intoxicating drinks were sold. The drug store proprietors were not long in signing the pledge presented; then the praying, singing and visiting went on until all the saloons had been visited. At.night there was another large meeting, this time in the Second Baptist Church. Progress was reported, speeches and prayers made, and songs of faith and triumph sung. The day and night meetings were continued for six or seven weeks, and the
saloons were visited daily by the praying band of women. One by one the liquor dealers succumbed, until all but two had signed the pledge to discontinue the selling of intoxicating drinks. The night meetings were always crowded, and sometimes of thrilling interest. The community generally was wonderfully swayed and influenced, for the time being. There is no room for doubt that the consumption of intoxicating drinks was, for the time, much diminished. There was much opposition to the proceeding, but the praying band of women was almost universally treated with the highest respect and consideration. The meetings at length came to an end, the old order of things gradually resumed its accustomed sway, and the question of whether any permanent good was done, is one upon which people will naturally differ in opinion. The crusade itself, however, was a notable event in local history. NEW LEXINGTON IN 1838.---The following is from a pamphlet sketch of New Lexington, descriptive of the town and environs, and some of the habits and customs of 1838, when the place was only a small village. The author of the sketch first describes the town as it then appeared: "We will begin at the north end of Main street, on the western side. This is a natural beginning point, and was the first lot sold at the original auction of town lots. On this lot, now occupied by the residence of Edward Rose, stood a long frame or weather-boarded log house, with the end to Main street. In 1838, or possibly not until the Spring of 1839, it was occupied by H. B. Chappelear, as a residence and shoe shop. Passing along the same side of the street, the next improvement was on the lot where Dr. Taggart now resides, which was occupied by William Courtney as a residence and chair shop. I think there was some kind of a house on the lot where Mrs. Chenoweth now lives, but whether occupied by Absalom Chenoweth, or some one else, I am not positive. Soon after 1838 the present dwelling, now occupied by Mrs. Chenoweth, was built by Absalom Chenoweth, her husband, now many years dead. About where Mr. Holmes lives stood a log dwelling with the end to the street, and occupied by Mrs. Grigsby, now Mrs. Grimes, and living only a few rods from her old home. There was a small frame, or weatherboarded log building, on the lot where the Central House now stands, occupied at short intervals by different parties, but, in 1838, James and Thomas Durban had their tailor shop there. Where Motz's bakery now stands was a frame building, used by Eli Montgomery as a cabinet shop. The place now occupied by the residence and cabinet ware-rooms of J. C. Elder was occupied by a one-story frame house. I can not state who lived in it, or whether it was occupied in 1838, unless as a ware-room by John Comly, who had a store in the brick on the corner, the same now in use by Murtha & Lennon, as a residence and grocery. John Comly was leading merchant of the town, and did an extensive and profitable business in the old brick. The brick building, and the frame adjoining just referred to, were soon after, and for many years, occupied by George Chappelear as a tavern stand. 'We pass to the corner now occupied by Edward Mackin. On this corner lot stood the carding and fulling mill, run by Smith Riley and
Alexander Brown. These mills were run by horse or cattle power, tramping upon an immense wheel. The carding machine was on the corner, and the fulling mill about where Miss Green has her millinery store. The fuller was a simple, rude contrivance, but, as the great wooden blocks punched, pounded, and squeezed the woolen fabrics, the village boys looked upon it as the most wonderful piece of machinery in the world. Where now is Morehead's hardware store and W. A. Mason's tailor shop, was a small one story frame dwelling, and a small store room, both occupied by John Huston, who was a successful merchant of that day. On the lot now owned and occupied by Joseph Weiland as a residence and meat store, stood the dwelling and office of Dr. Nelson Mason, the principal physician of the village. On the next lot, now owned by John Smith, back from the street stood a log house, occupied by Samuel Feigley as a dwelling. He soon after built the frame that now stands on the street. "On the next lot was situated the dwelling and cabinet shop of Robert Essington. The buildings were both small. Essington was an old bachelor, and resided with his mother. On the next lot, bordering on East alley, stood a two story dwelling, with a portico in front, and occupied by K. E. Huston, who had just been married. George Rankin, a merchant, had previously lived in the house for a number of years. Across the alley, where Walter Rutter now lives, resided Mrs. Jane Allen, a tailoress, who made up many good and satisfactory garments for the citizens of that day. There was no other improvement until we come to the corner where Dr. Swingle now lives. This was occupied by Moses Daniels, who was a shoemaker, and "whipped the cat" around the country, as well as carried on at his home. "We have now arrived at the southern end of Main street of the original town and the time of 1838. Let us cross over and go back on the other side of Main street. The first improved lot we come to is the one on the corner of Main street and East alley, now occupied by a carriage shop, and other buildings. This lot contained a two story log dwelling, situated directly on the alley, but back thirty or forty feet from Main street. It was occupied by Jacob Bugh, a tanner by trade. He had his tannery below the old schoolhouse, adjacent to what is now the north end of Brown street. Directly across East Alley from where Jacob Bugh lived was a small frame building, standing a little back from the street, and adjoining was a small store room, with the front end on Main street. This residence and store room was occupied by Jesse Skinner. Mr. Skinner kept an assortment of goods and groceries, and was postmaster, also. The next lot, adjoining what was then a private alley, and the same on which Mr. Schofield is now erecting a block, was occupied by Aaron Petty as a residence and blacksmith shop. The dwelling was next to the alley and the shop on the opposite corner of the lot, both, however, on Main street. Crossing the private (now public) alley, we come to a large two story house, extending across the front of the lot, with a wing facing the alley, which was a public house, a tavern, kept by Jesse O. Piper. It was a log structure, but weatherboarded, painted red, and was a respectable looking village tavern. The next improved lot we come to, is the one on the corner, where the Horahan block now stands. On this lot stood "The Temperance
House, by J. Barnd," and another small building, used for a hat shop, for Jacob Barnd was a hatter by trade. But, about 1838, he abandoned the hat making business, and turned the shop into a cake, candy, and notion establishment. The hotel building was only a story and a half in height, the dining room small, and the sleeping rooms not extensive, but it managed, for many years, to do quite a lucrative business. What is now the park was, in 1838, a part of the public square. Facing the square, and about where Overmyer's hardware establishment is, stood a good sized log house, which was the home of Mrs. Eckles, mother of Mrs. Julia Barnd. Mrs. Eckles lived to a great age, and was well known all over the country. The front of the corner lot was not built on until 1840. It is possible that the long and wide one story frame, extending from about where Smith's store now is to the north end of McArdle's property, was erected, or commenced, in 1838, but I think it was not built, or at least finished, until 1839. This long frame edifice was designed for a tobacco warehouse, but the sudden death of John Comly, in April, 1840, changed the tide of affairs, and it was eventually converted into shops, stores, and dwellings. Crossing West Alley to where H. B. McLaughlin now resides, we find it occupied as a residence by Smith Riley. It was a story, or a story and a half house, and was painted yellow. The lot where Mrs. Hickman resides contained a building, standing on Main street, that was used some years as a blacksmith shop. About 1838 it was so occupied by William Dempsey. Mr. Dempsey was an uncle of the celebrated author and newspaper correspondent, Janairus McGahan, who died recently, at Constantinople. The next improved lot we reach is the one so long the residence of Eli Montgomery. I can not say who occupied it in 1838, but very soon after that it became the residence of Eli Montgomery. The dwelling was a weatherboarded log structure, and was torn away only a few years since, when Newton Thacker erected the present nice and commodious edifice, now occupied by L. J. Jackson. "This completes the tour of Main street, as it was in 1838. Let us now pass down Water to Jackson. Going southward, on Jackson, we find no house until opposite where the Second Baptist church now stands. This lot was occupied by a two story log house, which, at different times, was the residence of several families; but, in 1838, I think Rev. Courtland Skinner lived there. Passing on, we find no more improvements until we arrive at the old frame schoolhouse, situated on the east corner of the lot now occupied by John C. Smith. The school building faces Jackson street. On the next lot, where William McCloy now lives, was a log dwelling occupied by a man by the name of Shedron. He could speak no English, was a blacksmith by trade, and worked for Aaron Petty. We have no further improvements until we reach the lot where Hixon Hunt now resides. On this lot stood a large frame building, known as the "old tan house." The house and lot had been used as a tannery by Mr. North, but subsequently abandoned on account of the water giving out. This old tan house stood for many years, and was used for packing tobacco, as a barn, stable, workshop, and particularly for the boys to play "Antony Over." We have no other houses until we come to the corner lot now occupied by A. J. Ward. On this lot was a log dwelling, in which lived William Vanwye.
He continued to reside there until within a year or two of his death, which occurred only a few years ago. "We have now done with Jackson. Passing down Walnut to High, and up High, the first house we come to is a story and a half log dwelling, on the lot where Thomas Mains lives. This house, in 1838, and for many years before and after, was owned and occupied by Alexander Brown. Next, on the lot where Lloyd Whipps lived, stood a little log house occupied by Mrs. Cheney, widow of Ezekiel Cheney. This Cheney was one of the very first settlers of the town. He built the original house on the corner where the Horahan block now stands, and sold out to Jacob Barnd. Passing along High street, the next improved lot we come to is the Presbyterian Church lot. Here stands a large frame structure, built only a year or two preceding, and hardly yet finished. It is near the center of the lot, and the entrance, instead of being next to High street, is at the end next to the alley. But all around was then a common, and people did not pay any great attention to streets and alleys. From the Presbyterian church to Water street all was a common. "The First Baptist Church, or the "Old Porcupine," as some of the young people nicknamed it, on account of the shagginess of the roof, stood within a few feet of the site of the present building, now on Church street, then simply a county road. It was a large log structure, with a double door in the front center, a stairway leading to a gallery used only on extra occasions, and a high octagon sort of a pulpit, which was reached by another stairway. There were regular services here each "fourth Lord's Day and Saturday preceding," at the yearly visitation meeting, and on other special and irregular occasions. The congregation was usually large, and was composed principally of the first settlers and their descendants, mostly Pennsylvanians, but embracing also some Virginians and Marylanders. The house was partially surrounded by trees, and in front was a lawn. The Presbyterians and. Methodists also formerly worshiped here, but in 1838 they removed to the new Presbyterian Church, of which we will now speak. This edifice was erected in 1836 or 1837, would seat four or five hundred persons, and for several years was jointly used by the Methodists and Presbyterians. A flourishing Sunday-school was in operation there in 1838, with Samuel Carroll as Superintendent, and Robert Stewart, the public school teacher, as Assistant Superintendent. Stewart was a man of correct deportment and great piety, but he was not a member of the church, or of any church, but he was the power behind throne, so to speak-the real manager and controller of the school. In the fall and winter season there was nearly always a regular organized singing school at this church. About 1838 Stephen Barnes, who had recently been County Auditor, and Ira Carroll conducted a series of singings in the Presbyterian Church, the largest and most popular, perhaps, ever held in the town. There were sometimes over one hundred singers. Barnes understood music and had a very sweet voice. The school used the old Missouri Harmonist. There were many good singers belonging to the school. The Harpers were all natural singers, and to hear them sing at home was better than almost any traveling concert. The Harpers, Browns, Wrights, Carrolls, Colborns, Wilsons, Kennedys, Davises,
Coddingtons, Skinners, Rushs, Fowlers, Barnds, Grimeses, Strawns, Ashbaughs, Donaldsons, and many others, were represented in these schools. Young people would often come six or eight miles to attend a singing. There was always an intermission, which was devoted to social conversation. "The widow of James Comly, the chief proprietor of the town, lived in a story and a half brick, situated on the hillside, a little below the house in which Mr. Maxwell resides, on Factory street. It was a farm house and outside of town, of course. The Comlys had three mills- two saw-mills and a grist mill. The old saw-mill stood where now is about the center of Morehead's stone quarry lot, on the waters of Skinner's or Fowler's run. The stream is now sometimes called the Oxawoosie. This was not the natural course of the water, but a long channel or race was cut and the water brought to the point. The old mill did its last sawing about 1839. The grist mill was quite a large frame structure, and was situated on the waters of Rush Creek, about where Mrs. Meenan now lives. It was run awhile as a water mill, and then steam fixtures were attached. The steam power was not a success, and the old mill was abandoned. It did not stand on the natural channel of the creek, but a large race was made from near the old depot bridge to the point where the mill stood. The new saw mill erected by John Comly stood on the natural channel of Rush Creek, just below where C. H. Bailey now resides. Some of the old foundation timbers are yet to be seen. In 1838 the mill was in very successful operation, and was adding pretty rapidly, for those days, to the fortune of John Comly. Comly's mill dam was large, extending over a good part of what is now the south part of "Limerick," and backing water often for a half mile above town. The dam was a popular resort for bathing in summer, and for skating and playing games of "shinny" in winter. It was an exciting scene to witness a party of twenty-five or thirty play a sharply contested game of "shinny" on the smooth, frozen surface of this dam. The hill now occupied by the school property, Second Baptist Church, and Sheriff Crosbie's residence, was a common, on which stood many large oak trees, but the small under-growth and rubbish were all cleared away. Menageries and circus shows pitched their tents here, and public meetings of various kinds had for years been held there. About 1838, there was a large Fourth of July celebration on these grounds. There was a long table and a free dinner, and a gay civic and military display. The old Lexington Guards were in all their glory. I believe there was no regular orator of the day, but there were numerous regular and volunteer toasts, and they were gravely read and drank with a gusto that cannot now be easily realized. The long table was surrounded by guests, a reader was stationed at each end of the table, standing on it. A toast was read at one end, a fleet-footed boy would run with it to the reader at the other end, where it was read again. The Lexington Guards would fire a salute, the old anvil would boom, and the guests would all simultaneously rise, drink and halloo. And all this ceremony was repeated with every toast. The reader has often heard about an old-fashioned Fourth of July---this was one of them. It looked big to the small boy who had not seen much of the world, but had read something of Lexington, Concord and Yorktown. On the evening of this
very day, or possibly a year later, the ladies got up a Fourth of July supper. The supper was spread on improvised tables, beneath the apple trees adjoining Jacob Bugh's residence. All the families in town who desired participated in this supper. It was a sociable affair, and said to have been greatly enjoyed. Thus the people were sometimes entertained forty years ago. "There were few approaches to the town in 1838 as compared with the present. One bridge across Rush Creek served for both the Somerset and Zanesville roads. It was situated six or eight rods below where Henry Free now lives. Of course there was no iron bridge or any bridge at that point, no depot bridge, and none where the bridge now is at Arnold's mill. The families north of town, in the summer season and when the creek was low, in going to school or church, often crossed at the ford, near where Arnold's mill now is. A little later James J. Wilson and sons constructed a foot-log, with hand railing, about forty rods further up the creek, which was used by the families north of the creek. The Lancaster road turned obliquely to the left from where Shelley McDonald now lives, passing to the foot of the hill, then turning to the right and passing up the hill several rods south of its present location. There was no road where Water street, Brown street, and Western avenue now are. There was no traveled road where Mill street is, no road where Main street is south of Walnut, and no road where Fowler street is. The road leading south was on or near where Church street now is. The Deavertown road came in at the public square, as now, but instead of winding around the hill and up the creek, as at present, it led straight across Huston's big hill. The woods environed the town closely on almost every side. There were large trees, as before stated, on the school-house hill, large oak trees close to the old Baptist Church, heavy woods nearly all along what is now one side of Mill street, and much of Kelly's addition and other parts of the town were in woods in 1838. "It will not do, in making this picture of the times of 1838, to conclude without giving the school-house and village school something more than a passing notice. The old frame school-house has already been located and partially described. The house was well furnished for its day and a small village. There were good writing desks all around the wall and securely attached thereto; long, hard, smooth benches stood by them for seats. There was also an inner circle, or square rather, of these same benches for smaller pupils or those who did not write. There was also a teacher's seat and desk stationed in the north corner of the room. A large stove in the center was not a very nice ornament in the summer, but was very useful in winter. Robert Stewart was the teacher in 1838 and for many years before, and for several years after, with but slight intermissions. He must not be confounded with the well-meaning but poorly educated old-time teacher. Stewart was educated at an academy in his native country, Ireland, and began teaching at the early age of sixteen years, attending school and teaching alternately until he had completed his education. He taught a few years in the old country and then came to America, and finally settled down permanently in New Lexington. How he came to settle down in the then obscure village is, to the writer, something of a mystery.
He was a perfect gentleman, dressed neatly and scrupulously in broadcloth, with polished hat and boots, and habitually carried a handsome cane. He was most thoroughly educated in the common branches of learning, and in penmanship could surpass any of the teachers of Perry county that I know of to-day. I think he had some knowledge of the dead languages, but he was not a man to show off in anything, and he never had any real occasion to air his Latin and Greek. He was very methodical and exact in all his ways, and it was absolutely painful to him to see a crooked row of figures, or a crooked or slanting line across a slate, but he was compelled to endure a great many of them. Young men and women frequently came for miles to his school, particularly in the summer time, when it was not crowded with resident pupils. "Stewart had a way of dismissing school in the evening that I never saw or heard of at any other place. When study and recitation ceased, he named a girl and boy to quietly distribute hats, bonnets, shawls, baskets and buckets to their proper owners, and when this was accomplished, he would stand up and say, "Good evening, girls," and the girls would quietly pass out; then he would say, "Good evening, boys," and the boys would go out in the most quiet, orderly manner. This quiet and with him impressive way of dismissing school for the day, was strangely at variance with his mode of dismissal for noon, for then he would look at his watch and simply say, "You may have your dinners," and some of the boys would be eating lunch before the teacher had his watch returned to the fob. The signal for books was the teacher standing in the school-house door, holding up his pocket handkerchief at full arm's length. No gong or bell could start the boys in the direction of the school-house door with more rapidity than the simple elevation of this bandana. "We will call the roll of pupils for a random day of 1838, and then bid the village school good-by. Almost all are far away, some are dead, and others are near at hand, but no longer answer to roll-call as lads and lasses, pupils at school: John Wilson, Oliver Wilson, Calvin Wilson, Hiram Wilson, John Davis, James Davis, Jane Davis, Sarah Kennedy, Davis Kennedy, Ephraim Colborn, David Hull, Hannah Jane Carroll, Sarah Carroll, Isaac Fowler, John Fowler, Charles Banks, Mary Banks, James White, Melvilla Skinner, Loxley Barnd, Sarah Barnd, Horatio Mason, Simeon Petty, William Petty, Ralph Spencer, Levi Reynolds, Mary Reynolds, Jacob McClellan, John Wilson, Martha Wilson, Eleanor Huston,William Huston, James Johnson, James Comly, Sarah Comly, Jacob Brown, Phoebe Brown, Anna Brown, Sarah Jane Groves, John Vanwye, Isaac Hankinson, A. M. White, Ann White, Sarah Daniels. This will do for an average day of the New Lexington village school, in the fall or winter of 1838." BRISTOL (first called Burlington) was laid out in September, 1816, by Samuel Smith and Jacob Hollenback, and is the oldest town in the township. It is situated on the "Old Marietta Road," which was a road leading from Lancaster to Marietta. Bristol is about three miles south of New Lexington, on the road leading to the old town of Straitsville. The post office was first called Burlington, and was the first post office in the south part of the county; subsequently the name was
changed to Pike, and the town itself from Burlington to Bristol. The post office was finally discontinued, when Maholm, on the Newark, Somerset and Straitsville railroad, only half a mile distant, was established. Burlington and Bristol never grew much, though the town was nearly always had a tavern, a store or two, physician, and a few shops of one kind or another. It now has two churches, Baptist and United Brethren. The school house is a half mile from the village. Considering the old town and the new one at the railroad station as one, it is larger and of more importance than in former years. There are large coal works at and near the station. The population of Bristol in 1880 was 116. This probably does not include the town near the station. DICKSONTON---Dicksonton was laid out in 1875, by George Detwiler and W. H. Price. It is situated in the extreme southern part of Pike township, and has about one hundred inhabitants or upwards, though the census of the place is not taken separately. The people are engaged principally in mining coal and iron ore. The village contains a store and post office. A school house is in contemplation. The town is chiefly noted as being the residence of "John Hancock," a humorous writer for the county papers. MISCELLANEOUS.---The dread of getting bewildered, "lost," or "turned round," as the trouble was variously expressed, was not an uncommon one with the pioneers, and any person who ever went through the mental and physical strain, has not the least desire to have the experience repeated. While John Fowler was yet unmarried, and passing his Sabbath at the home of James Thrall, on the south border of Clayton township, one Sunday morning, before breakfast, he espied a deer passing near Thrall's house, and hatless and shoeless, and in his shirtsleeves, quietly took down the gun and followed after it, hoping to get a shot at it somewhere in the woods not far away. He pursued the deer, after the manner of hunters---watching, lying in wait, and following up---nearly all day, until toward evening he discovered that he had lost his bearings, and was sadly bewildered. He started in what he thought was the direction of home, but could make no progress in getting out of the woods, for he could tell by a very large tree that was blown up by the roots, and other land-marks, that he was traveling in a circle, instead of a straight line, as he desired. He thinks he passed the big blown up tree more than twenty times. He would frequently strike out with the determination to walk in a straight line, but invariably came upon the large uprooted oak. He did not know how many miles he had wandered from home, could not form an idea where he was, and was sure his was a very bad case of "lost," and he began to weaken. Despairing now of getting out of the woods without assistance, he climbed a convenient, accessible tree, and hallooed with all his might. He met with no immediate response, in any way, but believing it to be the most likely way to obtain aid, he held on firmly to the tree, and continued to halloo. The brothers Robert and John Colborn, who were in the woods that day, heard the frightened outcry of someone, evidently in distress, and answered. The shouts were repeated, and following in the direction from which they came, they
found John Fowler in the tree, pale, anxious and well nigh exhausted. He could not descend from the tree without assistance, and, when placed upon the ground, could not stand. He soon rallied, however, "turned round" right once more, and was himself again, except that he was very weak and hungry. Fowler was not a man to scare at trifles, but it was the sickening, despairing "turn round" that overcame him. The scene of Fowler's "lost" experience was up near the tunnel, on the C. and M. V. railroad, though he supposed that he had wandered much farther from home. Jacob Barnd and wife emigrated from Cumberland, Maryland, to New Lexington, Ohio, in 1817, and bought an unfinished house from Ezekiel Cheney, situated at the east corner of the public square. Benjamin Coddington and family had emigrated from the same part of Maryland, a year or two before, and lived where Isaac Vansickle now resides. The Coddingtons and Barnds had been acquaintances in Maryland, and, in a few months after the Barnds came out, Mrs. Coddington made a turkey roast, and invited the Barnds out to dinner. It was a forthwith invitation, and Hannah Coddington, a girl about fourteen years old, was entrusted with the important mission. Mr. Barnd, for some reason could not go, but Mrs. Barnd prepared at once to accept and return with Hannah Coddington. They soon started off along the narrow path, through the dense woods. They got over in the neighborhood of Rehoboth, and turned back to try another path, but soon found themselves at New Lexington. Miss Hannah thought she knew the way now well enough, and off the two started again. They had not proceeded far until they heard the sound of a woodman's ax, and when they came up to him, they found it was John Fowler. He accompanied the ladies to a spot near where S. S. Avery now lives, and put them on the Coddington path. They reached the place in safety, and though the turkey had been waiting for some hours, their appetites were all the keener, and the dinner was good and much enjoyed, and old Maryland and Pennsylvania matters fully talked over. There was a crossing of paths a little east of New Lexington, and there is where the lady pedestrians were turned out of their way. Tradition has it that an Indian was killed in this township, sometime after the county was settled by the whites, and after New Lexington was laid out. This Indian is represented as a not very agreeable person, though he probably did no one any serious injury. He remained about New Lexington for awhile, and started off to the southeast. It was alleged that he was followed by men, who had suffered much by Indians in Pennsylvania or Virginia, and had sworn vengeance against the race, and killed, and his remains buried at a point not far from the Brier Ridge tunnel, on the Ohio Central railroad. If the bones of the lone Indian should, in any way, be unearthed, at some future time, this tradition of his death will serve to explain what might otherwise be considered a great mystery. The population of Pike township, by the census of 1880, was 3059, and has been steadily increasing since that time. "AUNT PEGGY WRIGHT."---Margaret Wright, wife of Thos. Wright, was one of the first pioneer women of Pike township, was a representative
woman, and the last of all of them to pass from time to eternity. She died in 1881, at the age of 92. On her ninetieth birthday she was hearty and lively, and there was a great surprise gathering at her residence, two miles east of New Lexington. A representative of the Perry County Democrat, who was an invited guest and present, gave the following interesting account of the rare and memorable occasion: "Mrs. Wright had been informed that some of her neighbors and descendants would call upon her that day, but she was kept in ignorance of the magnitude of the affair, until it gradually developed to her vision. Children, grand-children and neighbors began to gather early, and, a little after nine o'clock, carriages and buggies began to roll in from a distance. Descendants and other relatives from Clayton, Madison, Reading and Hopewell townships came across by the Rehoboth road; and the numerous guests from New Lexington came pouring out the Deavertown road. The barn-yard and public road were crammed with horses and vehicles, and the large house was full up stairs and down with the assembled guests. Half a dozen good coal fires were booming, and the stairway leading from the first to the second floor was frequently blocked by persons eager to go up or down. The New Lexington Cornet Band appeared on the scene about eleven o'clock, and regaled the assembly with several of their choicest airs. "Dinner was announced a little after twelve, and continued until after three. Tables were spread in the dining room and on the two back porches. They were literally crowded with everything good to eat, and the display of large fine cakes could not easily be excelled. Even the good old crullers and 'tanglebreeches' were not absent. One of Aunt Peggy's great-grand-children, (about thirty years of age,) after eating a bunch of the 'tangles' nearly as large as his head, remarked that they tasted very good, but were 'thin diet for a laboring man.' It was a little cool on the porch, of course, but the jokes and hot coffee flew thick and fast, and the dining was well done. Every once in a while, all the afternoon, ladies were running around trying to find somebody who had not eaten. The day was given to hand sharing and general conversation, and the time was well occupied. Several attempts were made to count the number of persons present, but they failed of complete success. Those who tried it could count until they reached about two hundred and seventy-five; but the remainder jumped around and ran up and down the stairs so they could not be numbered. It is safe to say there were three hundred present. "Aunt Peggy was, apparently, about the least surprised of anybody. She was highly pleased, but was as calm and collected as though none but the members of her own immediate family were in the house. She was in the best of health, and got up and dressed herself before seven o'clock. When told by some of the friends that they feared such a large crowd might make her nervous, she promptly replied, 'don't be the least alarmed; I am not one of the nervous kind;' and it cannot be denied that she understood herself perfectly. She received many of her friends standing, and seemed not at all fatigued in doing so. She knew almost everybody that she had ever seen, and readily recognized some persons that she had not met for nearly thirty years. She resides with her son Jackson, at the old family homestead, in a large two story frame house, erected about thirty-five years since,
"Dr. Vanatta and family, and daughter Clara and family, from Uniontown, Muskingum county, were present. Mrs. Vanatta, the oldest daughter of the late William Williams, of Madison township, Perry county---looking almost as young and well as when she came to New Lexington a bride twenty-five years ago-played the exceedingly interesting part of grandchild and grandmother, in the same act. The Democrat representative knew enough about the world to realize that he was looking upon a very rare scene, as Mrs. Vanatta sat beside her aged grandmother, and called her own two little grandchildren to her side. It is seldom, indeed, that five generations are gathered, at the same time, under one roof, as on this memorable day. Sketch of Aunt Peggy.---Margaret Ankeny, who, for fifty years or more, has been known in all this neighborhood as Aunt Peggy Wright, was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, December 13th, 1789. Her father's name was David Ankeny; her mother's maiden name was Elsie Ritter. Margaret Ankeny was married to Thomas Wright, December 25th, 1809. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Wright lived in Pennsylvania seven years, and until they had three children. They then pulled up stakes at the old home, and removed to what was then Muskingum, but what is now Perry county, Ohio. They moved family and goods in a four-horse wagon, and were three weeks on the way. It rained every day of their journey but three; and they ate their meals and slept in the wagon. They crossed the Muskingum river at Zanesville on a flat boat. They halted in Putnam and got breakfast. There was only one house in Putnam. Mr. Wright rented a farm in Madison township. The farm was on the State road, near where David Ream now lives. They arrived there in April, 1813, raised and saved a crop, and then came to the farm where Aunt Peggy has ever since lived, and which Mr. Wright purchased. She has resided on this spot for sixty-six years. When Mrs. Wright and her husband came to this place, and unloaded their world's goods, neighbors were few and far between, and the almost unbroken forest abounded with many kinds of wild game. Deer, bears, panthers, wolves, wildcats, and other animals had their home and habitation near. There was only one family living on Bear Run; William Fowler lived near where Moxahala now is; John Fowler, Samuel McClellan and James Comly lived where New Lexington now is, and there were two or three houses close to where Rehoboth now is. Rehoboth and New Lexington were not laid out. A bear once came and took a fat hog out of the pen near Mrs. Wright's house, killed it and hid it in the leaves. The bear returned in a few days and got another hog from a man by the name of W. Lashley, who lived where W. Hammond now lives. The neighbors were aroused and all gathered in with guns and dogs. Uncle Thomas Wright had two bullets in his gun, and as the bear raised up from the dogs, he fired and killed it. They hung it in Lashley's house, raised the puncheons of the floor, and skinned and cleaned it in there, and then divided the meat. When Jeremiah, one of Mrs. Wright's older children, was a small boy, he was sent to a neighbor's, beyond Rehoboth, to get a cheese hoop repaired. On his return, when he got to where Nugent's coal switch is, and only about a quarter of a mile from
home, he espied two cub bears, and, boylike, tried to catch them,when the old bear raised up behind a log, and put its front feet upon it.- Jerry made tracks fast enough toward home,and raised the alarm. Several men gathered with guns and dogs, and run the bear down on the creek close to where Ira Carroll now lives. There the bear climbed a tree. The bear was shot and tumbled to the ground. Ever since then the creek near where the bear was killed has been called Bear Run. "Aunt Peggy has been the mother of eleven children, and raised ten of them. She has eighty grandchildren and about seventy-five great- grandchildren. She has also five descendants of the fourth generation. Seven of her children are yet living, to-wit: Jackson Wright, Calvin Wright and Julia Selby, wife of Thomas Selby, of the vicinity of New Lexington; Mrs. Mary Williams, widow of the late William Williams, of Madison township, Perry county; David Wright and Charlotte Yost, of Missouri; and James Wright and Susan Carroll, wife of Benjamin Carroll, of this place. Children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren are inter-married with the families of Williams, Selby, McClung, Wilson, Carroll, Groves, Yost, Ream, Vanatta, Arnold, Teal, Moeller, Snider, Hull, Colborn, Bright, Snell, Eversole, Zeigler, Guy, Barnes, Koons, Hammond, and fully as many more, not known or not now remembered by the writer. So it will be readily observed, that a reunion of Aunt Peggy's descendants could be no small affair. "She united with the New Lexington Baptist Church in 1823, and was baptized in Comly's mill dam, close to where H. N. Free's new store house is. Rev. James Skinner was the pastor of the church at that time, and administered the ordinance of Baptism. She attended meeting at the residence of the late Samuel Rush, one mile southwest of town, where Mr. Nixon now lives, and carried her baby, a distance of three miles from home. She said she would rather walk than bother with a horse. "Aunt Peggy is accustomed to say that those early pioneer days were the happiest of her life, when she had plenty of work to do, and the will and the strength to do it. She used to milk twelve or fifteen cows, and made plenty of butter and cheese. She was a liberal feeder of her stock, and she says that her 'calves didn't go around with tails like chestnut burs.' She pitched wheat and taught her husband how to build the first wheat stack he ever made. She had learned that at home when a girl. She would take her child to the field and lay it on a bunch of flax, while she was engaged in pulling and saving the crop. For several years she did all the sheep shearing. On one occasion she got breakfast, did up her work, clipped nineteen sheep in the forenoon, and went to the house in time to get dinner for the men. "Thomas Wright, the husband of Aunt Peggy, died July 5th, 1864, after which she kept house about one year, and then got her son Jackson to move into the house with her. "Rushs, Coddingtons, Hulls, Skinners, Thralls, and a number of other families came to the neighborhood soon after the Wrights moved down from Madison township. Mrs. Wright has one brother yet living. His name is David Ankney, and he resides on the old home place in Pennsylvania. Aunt Peggy thinks that she is stouter than any of her daughters or granddaughters yet. She never had any trouble with her
neighbors, but always lived a life of peace, neighborship and good will. She says she always made it a point never to 'fuss with the old man.' When things did not go to suit her, she 'just shut her eyes like an ox and went straight ahead.' It is seventy years this month since Aunt Peggy was a bride, and she lived with her husband nearly fifty-six years, though he has now been nearly sixteen years gone to his eternal rest." "GRANDMOTHER BARND."---Next to "Aunt Peggy Wright," "Grandmother Barnd" was the last of the pioneer women of Pike township to depart this life. She was another representative woman, and one who is widely remembered. She died in 1880, at the age of eighty-six. The following interesting facts are gleaned from an obituary sketch published in the Perry County Democrat: "Julia Ann Eckels was born at Cumberland, Maryland, February 9th, 1794. She was married to Jacob Barnd, December 26th, 1815. They emigrated to New Lexington, Ohio, in 1817. "Their removal from Cumberland to this place was not an easy task, under the circumstances. They brought no wagon, and only one horse. We believe they had two little children at the time, and also brought some light personal and household effects. Mr. Barnd, of course, walked nearly all the way. New Lexington had just been laid out, and a few log houses erected. Mr. Barnd bought an unfinished log house, situated on the corner where the Horahan block now stands. The house had been erected by Ezekiel Chaney, and was purchased from him. Chaney was one of the first men that lived in the town. The writer has often heard Mrs. Barnd describe the place as she rode into town to her new home. The trees had been cut on Main street, and the timber cleared away; but the brush had been piled flat, all along the street, preparatory to being covered with earth, so as to round up the street. But the brush was not covered for some time. "When Jacob Barnd and wife came to Ohio, Christian Barnd, a brother of Jacob, lived on the farm now owned and occupied by Curtis Rugg, a mile or two northwest of town. Sometime in the summer of 1817, two other brothers came to Ohio, and visited Christian and Jacob. We have heard Mrs. Barnd describe how she wanted them to come, yet dreaded their coming for they had no table, no chairs, and but very little of anything else. A rude table was improvised, and three-legged stools were made. She secured a wild turkey, got some potatoes of a neighbor, and she had a cow, and milk of her own, if we remember right. So the dinner was prepared, and, after all, was good enough for anybody. The brothers were very jolly, as they sat around the rude board, and enjoyed their dinner, the last they ever all ate together. "The log house on the corner was weather-boarded, raised in height, and additions built to it, and it became the famous ''Temperance House, by J. Barnd," and as such was very favorably known to travelers and sojourners. Jacob Barnd was a hatter by trade, and he, for a long time, carried on a shop, but finally abandoned the business. He died in 1856. "Mrs. Barnd united with the Old school Baptist church, and was baptized by Rev. James Skinner in 1819. At that time no Baptist church had
been built in this place, and Mrs. Barnd went, once a month, afoot, and carried her baby, to attend church, near where Henry Hazleton now lives, at the mouth of Shawnee run. She would go Saturday and return Sunday afternoon. She united with the Second Baptist Church thirty odd years ago. She was a regular attendant at church as long as she was able to go anywhere, she lacked but two days of being eighty-six years old at the time of her death. "Grandmother Barnd was one of the last of the pioneer women, who came to the town and neighborhood previous to 1820. She had been tenderly brought up in a town or city, and her people were well-to-do; but she hesitated not to start out on a lonesome journey into the wilderness, and labor to found and furnish a new home. She did her part nobly, and was highly honored and respected in every station of life. Few persons will be more kindly or generally remembered when they pass off the stage of action."