HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "W"
WAGENHALS, CHARLES F., merchant, Lancaster, Ohio. Was born January 15, 1851, in Lancaster, Ohio; son of Charles G. and Caroline (Kull) Wagenhals. Mr. Wagenhals was raised in the place of his nativity, and attended the public schools of this place until be was about fourteen years old, when he went to the baker's trade, at which he worked as an apprentice three years; after learning his trade, he went
into the grocery and baking business, and continued about three months, when he abandoned the baking part of his business, and continued the grocery business, to which, in May of 1882, he added dry goods, and still continues on Columbus street, with good success, and has been in business about twelve years. Mr. Wagenhals was married August 19, 1869, to Miss Mary Margaret, daughter of John George and Mary Catharine (Hartman) Eise. They are the parents of six children, viz.: William G., Katie Clara, Charles Martin, deceased at four months and fifteen days old; Maggie S., Eddie Theodore, and Freddie Samuel. Mr,. Wagenhals' father, was born October 23, 1801, in Wittenberg, Germany, and emigrated to America while he was yet a young man, and settled in Lancaster, Ohio, where he has since lived, and was married in September of 1834, to Sarah, daughter of Daniel Bacher, of this county. He was married the second time, about 1847, to Caroline Kull. They are the parents of six children, of whom Charles F., the subject of this sketch, was the second. The children are now all deceased but two, viz.: Charles F. and Emanuel. Mrs. Wagenhals' parents lived in Germany, where she was born February 23, 1850, at Darmstadt. Her father died in his forty-fifth year. in Germany; and about two years after his death, in 1854, her mother with two children emigrated to America, at first settling in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where, in 1855, her mother was married the second time, to Adam Wetzel, and they moved to Logan, Ohio, where he died in 1858. In 1861, she was married the third time, to George Hanstine. who lived only about three months after his marriage, and left her the third time a widow. She still lives in Logan, Ohio. WAGNER, JACOB, farmer. Liberty township, post office, Baltimore; was born December 4, 1806; son of Andrew and Mary (Soliday) Wagner; was married to Susan Macklen, March 27, 1834; had one child--- Catherine, born March 27, 1835. His wife died January 20, 1836; was married to Mary O'Hensel, by whom he had six children: Mary, born, April 30, 1838; Frederick, born August 21, 1840, Elizabeth, born March 4, 1845, died February 14, 1869; Jacob, born March 15, 1837, died March 15, 1864; Adam, born December 15, 1849; Joseph, born December 28, 1851, died December 10, 1873. WAGNER, MRS. SARAH ELIZABETH, Walnut township; was born in Licking county December 13, 1823, the oldest daughter of Joseph and Ann M. Alt. Her parents removed to Liberty township in 1824. She was educated in the common schools, and was married in 1844, to Daniel Wagner, who was born in Walnut township, March 11, 1825, and who was a son of Andrew Wagner. He inherited the home place, which is still owned by his son Daniel M. He was a successful farmer; was a member of the Reformed Church. Mr. and Mrs. Wagner were the parents of five living children: Anna Maria, wife of Jacob Schreyer, a resident of Liberty township; Sarah E., at home; Susan C., wife of Frank P. Miller, in Indiana; Daniel M., born August 10, 1857, now residing on and conducting the home place, and Rebecca, the wife of Albert F. Turner, residing in Walnut township. Daniel Wagner was the owner, at death, September 23, 1875, of three hundred and ninety-seven acres. Mrs. Wagner conducted the home farm a few years, but now Daniel M. Wagner owns and manages it,
WAGNER, JOHN J., teacher, Liberty township; was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, October 23, 1840, eldest son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Alt) Wagner, a native of Fairfield county, born about 1814, a son of Andrew, Sr., who was a pioneer in Walnut township, and an early settler. He died about 1837. Andrew. Jr., raised a family of ten children, all living but one: Andrew Judson, who died in 1879. J. J. Wagner was educated in the common schools in Liberty township, until eighteen years of age. In 1865 he was appointed principal of the Baltimore grammar school. He has been a teacher twenty-six years; ten years a member of the board of examiners. Mr. Wagner married in 1868 Miss E. H. Smith, of Delaware, Ohio. They are the parents of one daughter, Lillie M., born February 8, 1869. They are members of the United Brethren Church. WALKER, CAPTAIN WILLIAM H., assistant foreman in the car shops, Lancaster; was born in Wayne county, New York, February 22, 1837. His parents, George and Charlotte (Lossing) Walker, came to Pike county, Ohio, in 1844, removing to Fairfield county in 1848. William H. received a common school education in Berne township. He acquired from his father a knowledge of the carpenter and joiner trade, and worked at the same until April 19, 1861, when he enlisted in Company A, Seventeenth O. V. I., for three months, under the first call for volunteers. During his first term of service, he took part in the battle of Laurel Hill. At the expiration of three months, he recruited twenty men for Company I, Seventeenth O. V. I., enlisted in that regiment, and was appointed a non-commissioned officer, and took an active part in the numerous battles, skirmishes and raids participated in by the regiment, including Stone River, Hoover's Gap, Pittsburg Landing, Chick- amauga, and Resacca, Ga.; in the latter he commanded the company. He was also engaged at Atlanta, Georgia, filling the position of Second Lieutenant. Here he was seriously wounded. Soon after he received a commission as Captain and was detailed to the staff of General A. Beck, as Acting Commissary, making the march to the sea, thus serving from the commencement until the close of the war. Captain Walker was married September 25, 1861, to Miss Caroline Mock. To them were born two sons and three daughters, two now survive--- Hurbin W., now engaged with his father learning the trade of carbuilder; Miss Leah, residing with her parents. Mrs. Walker died October 5, 1876, and the Captain was again united in marriage, Nov. 22, 1877, to Miss Jane Hamilton. To them have been born one son and one daughter---William F. and Marie Elizabeth. Captain Walker entered the employ of the C. & M. V. Railroad in 1865, as assistant foreman of the car shops, a position which he now occupies. In 1871 he was a member of the city council, and continued to represent the fifth ward in that body nine years. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., Knights of Honor and G. A. R. Himself and family are members of the German Reform Church. WATSON, WILLIAM J., farmer, Walnut township; was: born in Frederick county, Virginia, July 4, 1827, eldest child of Thomas B. and Susannah (Thomas) Watson. Thomas B. Watson was born in Frederick county, Virginia in 1794. He first visited Ohio in 1818, remaining one year with an older brother, Abraham Watson, who was an
early settler in Walnut township. He remained in Virginia until 1836, when he settled in Richland township, on the place now owned by Noah McNaughten. He afterward removed to Walnut township, where he remained until removing to Illinois in 1854. He raised a family of eleven children, of whom nine are living. He died about 1870. William J. was educated in the common schools. When fifteen he was left to take care of himself. He worked at farming and taught school for several winters. He married in September, 1854, Martha C., daughter of Jacob G. Wineman, one of the pioneers of Thorn township, Perry county. Mrs. Watson was born in Thorn township, Perry county, December 2, 1837. In 1854 he located on the place where he still resides---the former Jacob Ortman place. In 1861 he built his present residence. They are the parents of three sons and two daughters; Charles M., a resident of Pleasant township; Olive Jane, wife of A. M. McNaghten, a resident of Walnut township; Willie G., Martha A. and Benson G. Mr. Watson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns one hundred and twenty-five acres of land, and engages in stock raising and farming. WATSON, WILLIAM H., Walnut township. He was born in this township December 2, 1838; son of J. C. and Rebecca (Cunningham) Watson. J. C. was a native of Ireland; came to America in 1781 with his father, Thomas Watson. They remained in Maryland a number of years, coming to Ohio in early years; they settled in the vicinity of Salem. Thomas Watson died in 1822. His son James settled on the place now owned by W. H. Watson, in 1813. At that time it was a dense woods. The log house he built at an early day was the family residence until building the present brick mansion in 1873. He raised a family of thirteen children, of whom but four sons and two daughters survive. He never aspired to public office. He was a life long member of the M. E. Church, a successful farmer and stock raiser. At his death he owned two-hundred and forty-five acres. In politics he was a Whig. His death took place March 2, 1856. His widow died in 1877, in her eighty-first year. She, during life, conducted the home place, with the assistance of her sons. J. C. Watson was the father of the following children: Thomas S., who died in Delaware, Ohio, in 1876; James G., a prominent farmer near Lancaster, died April 29, 1871; Jonathan C., retired, lives in Delaware, Ohio; Joseph C., residing in Columbus, Ohio; and William H. The last named was educated in the common schools, and by profession a farmer. He resided with his mother until his marriage, October 29, 1863, to Miss Almeda F., daughter of John and Mary Brandon. Mrs. Watson was born in Walnut township, October 29, 1845. They are the parents of eight children, three sons and five daughters---Mertie C., James B., Etta B., Uphema V., John F., Georgie Dell, Gracie and Harry G. Mr. Watson, after marriage, took charge of the home place, his mother residing with him until her death. He owns two hundred acres. They are members of the M. E. Church. The youngest son of the family of James C.Watson is engaged in tile manufacturing; the daughter married and moved West; Emma Eliza, wife of G. W. Friend, is residing in Lancaster, Ohio. J. C. Watson was in the War of 1812.
WATSON, GEORGE W., grain dealer, Liberty township. He was born in Walnut township, and is the youngest son of William and Susan (McNamee) Watson. He was educated in the common schools. At the age of fifteen he was thrown on his own resources, and left home for California, where he engaged in the business of stock raising with success, for fifteen years. He then sold out his ranche and returned to Fairfield county in 1868. He purchased a farm in Walnut township, where he resided some five years. In 1874, he returned to Baltimore, and became the owner of a drug store. He was also largely engaged in buying and shipping grain. He disposed of his drugstore, and now devotes all his time to the buying and shipping of grain, in which he is doing a large business. Mr. Watson is a member of the M. E. Church, and also of the Masonic order. In 1869 he was married to Miss Kate K. King, daughter of Peter King, a resident of Perry county. Their marriage has been blessed with five children, four of whom--- two sons and two daughters---are living. WARNER, BENJAMIN F., farmer, Walnut township. .He was born in this township November 12, 1821, and is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Bibler) Warner. Thomas Warner was born in Maryland in 1775; was raised in Berks county, Virginia, and came to Ohio early in the present century. He remained in the vicinity of Lancaster a few years, and came to Walnut township in 1803, to the place now known as the John Lamb farm. It was partially cleared. He entered the land now owned by F. B. and R. F. Warner. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, after which he removed to Richland township, where he also entered land. He remained there till the spring of 1821, when he settled on the farm now occupied by T. B. Warner, where he spent the remainder of his days. He lived in a hewed log house that stood in the front of the present residence. He raised to maturity a family of seven sons and two daughters, of whom six sons and one daughter are living. Thomas Warner was a hospitable, kind man, and one whose life was very useful to all who came in search of a home. He was an active member of the Baptist Church many years. His death occurred in 1847, his widow living till 1871, in her eighty-ninth year. She had been a member of the Baptist Church seventy-six years. Benjamin F. Warner was born in Richland township, February 24, 1812. He received the common school education of his day; learned the trade of a farmer, and when a boy he often went to Zanesville to mill. After attaining his majority, he superintended clearing the land for the reservoir, and was also prominently connected with the construction of the National Road. Was also connected with the construction of the Maysville and Zanesville turnpike road, of which he built several miles. He was a contractor on canals near Portsmouth. He went to Natchez with horses, when he met with reverses, losing nearly all his money. In 1842 he returned and conducted the home place two or three years. He was married in 1844 to Susan Kramer, of Richland township. They became the parents of one son and one daughter---David E., a resident of Adams county, Indiana, and Catharine, wife of Nicholas Ketner, a resident of Liberty township. Mrs. Wagner died in 1847. Mr. Wagner came to Walnut township, where he bought a farm, and conducted the farm owned by his brother Samuel. October 13, 1853,
he was married to Mary M., daughter of John W. Miller, a former well-known resident of Walnut township. She was born November 2, 1832. They are the parents of six children, five of whom are living. Mr. Wagner has been a citizen of Walnut township since 1855; has always taken an active interest in all matters of importance; has been a prominent member of the New School Baptist Church, and has been a School Director twenty-four years. WEAKLEY, PERRY V., farmer, Liberty township. He was born in Maryland, March 4, 1817; son of James S. and Mary H. Weakley. He came with his parents to Ohio in 1832, locating first in Greenfield township. The family afterward removed to Pleasant township, where they lived for a number of years. Perry received a good education, and remained at home until his father's death. In 1845 he was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Leitnaker, daughter of Henry Leitnaker of Liberty township. In the fall of 1850 he settled upon the farm where they still live. They are the parents of one son---S. Douglas, born March 30, 1847, in Greenfield township. He resides on a portion of the home place. The family are members of the U. B. Church, Mr. Weakley uniting with that church about forty-five years ago. WEAVER, JOHN, farmer, liberty township. He was born September 1, 1830; the son of Jacob and Mary E. (Walters) Weaver. Jacob came from Virginia to Ohio in 1816, settling in Pleasant township, where his father cleared a farm and resided until his death in 1853. John was educated in the common schools and assisted his father until his marriage, in 1857, to Annie C. Hirstenter. Mrs. Weaver was born in Liberty township, August 18, 1832. Mr. and Mrs. Weaver are the parents of three children---A. J., residing on the home farm; Amanda, the wife of Jacob Hane (also on the, home place); Theopolis S. Mr. Weaver has lived on his present farm since 1859. It consists of two hundred and twenty acres. He is a member of the United Brethren Church and a teacher in the Sabbath school. WEIST, S. S., Liberty township; post office, Baltimore; carriage maker; born September 1, 1834; son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Bowser) Weist; married to Rebecca A. Brandt, December 15, 1859; has two children---Eldon O., born April 10, 1862; Ara B., born January 3, 1869. He was in the Seventeenth Ohio Regiment, under Captain W. H.Walker; was in several battles under Sherman, and was never wounded or taken prisoner. Mr. Weist has passed all the chairs in the I. O. O. F.. and in 1879 was elected Mayor, in which office he served three years. WEBSTER, THOMAS D., manufacturer, Lancaster. He was born in New Jersey, March 8, 1829; son of Joshua and Phoebe (Neff) Webster. The family removed to Ohio in 1835, settling first in Zanesville, where they resided about two years, coming to Lancaster in 1837. Joshua Webster began the practice of a veterinary surgeon. He also bought and kept for sale a large number of horses. He continued in business in Lancaster until his death in 1846. Thomas D. was educated in the public schools of Lancaster until his twentieth year. He then learned the trade of iron moulder, and worked as journeyman in Lancaster and other places until 1855. In 1852 he was united in
marriage to Miss Eliza J. Griffin. Mr. and Mrs. Webster are the parents of six children, three of whom are living---Clara S., the wife of F. L. Knight, of Rushville township; Katie D. and Cora L. are still at home. In 1855 Mr. Webster began the manufacture of agricultural implements, several of his own invention; later he has added the sale of wagons, carriages and buggies, in which he does a large and extensive trade, selling of the celebrated Brown wagon as many as one hundred during the year. Mr. Webster is a very successful business man, and by energy and industry he has been able to extend his business, and add to it every year. Himself and family are members of the Methodist Church. WETZEL, GEORGE H., druggist, Lancaster. He was born in this place October 12, 1849; eldest son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Walker) Wetzel. Jacob Wetzel was a native of Baden, Germany. He came to Lancaster in 1840, and engaged in the hotel business. He raised a family of seven children; three sons and three daughters are living, and residents of Lancaster. Jacob Wetzel died May 4, 1877. George H. was a pupil in the public schools in Lancaster until fifteen years of age, when he entered the employ of Slocum & White, then a leading drug house in Lancaster. He remained with them some three years, following which he has an experience as dispensing chemist in an extensive establishment in Cincinnati, also in Omaha, Nebraska. He returned to his former position with Slocum & White, with whom he remained until commencing business for himself in 1874. He removed to his present location on Main street in the spring of 1882, where he is doing an extensive business in drugs, medicines, oils, paints, etc. He is a member of the Masonic order, also the I. O. O. F. and the German Lutheran Church. He was married June 1, 1876, to Miss N. Bope. They are the parents of one son and one daughter, Charles E. and Lena Leota. WHITE, DR. JAMES, was born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, June 10, 1799. He was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, of the class of 1821. Coming to Ohio the same year, he settled at Lancaster, and at once commenced the practice of his profession, which soon became both extensive and lucrative. He was married November 22, 1825, to Miss Maria Elizabeth Beecher, a union that was blessed with six children, of whom four are living, viz.: Julia, now the wife of E. L. Slocum, a resident of Lancaster; Stanley Benton, a druggist of Licking county, Ohio; E. Beecher, a well-known druggist of Lancaster; James W., a practicing physician of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Dr. White was an ardent student and a skillful physician, and an active member of the Baptist Church for many years. He died September 26, 1868. Mrs. White is still living, vigorous in mind and body, and is an intellectual and genial lady. Dr. White was devoted to his profession, both as a science and in its practice, and kept himself informed of the advancement made therein through its literature. He also gave careful study to all the cases that came under his care, and was thoroughly conscientious, giving to all the best of his ability and watchful care, without thought of his own personal comfort or convenience. His tender sympathy and delicacy in the sick room endeared him to all the families in his large
practice. His courteous consideration of others was a marked charac- teristic, which was shown in a special manner to the members of his own profession, and in the helpfulness given to young physicians--- always ready to give them the benefit of his long years of patient labor and study. His family have received touching and grateful acknowl- edgments of his kindness in this respect. Through all his attainments as a physician, and his character as a man of pure life and integrity, there shone his faith as a Christian, which was the growing principle of his life. WHITE, THOMAS H., Justice, Lancaster. He was born in Muskingum county, Ohio, May 20, 1820. He came to Fairfield county in 1831, and was afterwards married to Rebecca P. Koontz, a native of Lancaster. For some time Mr. White was engaged in the dry goods trade. In 1874 Mr. White was elected Justice of the Peace, an office he yet most efficiently fills. Mr. and Mrs. White are the parents of four children---Alice, Thomas C., Mary and Otis K. At this date (spring of 1881) Alice is the wife of St. Clair Pearce, and resides in Columbus; Thomas C. is married and lives in Cincinnati; Otis K. is an engineer on the Pittsburg, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railway; Mary is yet at home. WHITECAMP, WILLIAM L., Liberty township; was born in Westphalia, Germany, December 12, 1844; son of Frank and Elizabeth (Stein) Whitecamp, the former of whom still resides in Germany, enjoying vigorous health, in the eighty-third year of his age. William L., after acquiring a liberal education at the schools in the vicinity of his father's home, and at an agricultural college, remained with his parents until reaching the age of eighteen, when he entered the employ of Baron Von Oheim, as overseer, in which capacity he remained until coming to America in 1867, reaching Baltimore, Fairfield county, the fall of the same year. He at once entered into active business as manager for his brother-in-law, Henry Gehring, a position which he filled for some two years. Subsequently he was an employe of Kauffman, in the Mithoff House, in Lancaster, for some time, following which for one year he was a resident of St. Louis, Missouri, where he was engaged as foreman in the shipping department of a sugar refinery. Returning to Baltimore, Ohio, he was married in 1871 to Miss Bettie Harris, who, after a married life of eighteen months, died in 1873. For two years following the death of his wife Mr. Whitecamp occupied a position as clerk in a hotel at Columbus. The greater portion of the year 1876 he devoted to traveling through the Western States and Territories, until the fall of the same year, when he became the proprietor of the hotel at Baltimore, Fairfield county, Ohio, which he has still continued to conduct in the most successful manner, purchasing the property in January, 1881, remodeling and building additions to the same. Mr. Whitecamp was again united in matrimony in January, 1879, to Miss Mary, daughter of Enos Miller, of Walnut township. To this union were born two children, one of whom is living---Mabel E., born June. 21, 1880. Mr. Whitecamp is a consistent member of the Lutheran Church, also of the Masonic order. He is a prosperous and an esteemed citizen. WHITZEL, J.A., of Greencastle, was born in Seneca county, Ohio,
August 3, 1850; received a liberal education,completing a course in part at the Oberlin College, at Oberlin, Ohio; was afterward associated with Colonel Frees several years in the dry goods business in New Lex- ington, Ohio, but for the past ten years has carried on farming in Bloom township. In 1871 he was married to Miss Mary Courtright, daughter of Jacob Courtright, a well-known citizen of this township, and is the father of three children living. He has been an official member of the Presbyterian Church for many years past, and superintendent of its flourishing Sabbath school. WIDENER, JOHN, grocer, Lancaster. He was born in Washington county, Maryland; son of Jacob and Mary Widener. He came with his parents to Ohio in 1834, his father settling in Pleasant township, where he engaged in farming and the manufacture of brick. He resided here during his lifetime, and reared a family of ten children. He died in 1855. John received a fair education, attending the common schools until sixteen years of age, when he learned the shoemaking trade. After completing his trade he worked as journeyman until 1854, when he commenced business for himself in Rushcreek township. He con- ducted it successfully, but finally disposed of it and took charge of the home farm, at the death of his father. He remained there until his mother's death in 1868. He then settled his business relating to the estate, and removed to Lancaster, where, he engaged extensively in manufacturing brick, employing from eight to ten men in the work. Mr. Widener has recently purchased the well-known grocery house conducted by C. F. Wagenhals, located on the corner of Columbus and German streets. In 1865 he was married to Miss Mary Sullivan, daughter of Philip Sullivan, a well-known resident of Baltimore. Mr. and Mrs. Widener are the parents of nine children, eight of whom are living. The family are members of the M. E. Church. WILHELM, SAMUEL, farmer and stock raiser, post office Lancaster; born in Berkley county, West Virginia, in 1811, came to this county in 1834; son of John and Margaret (Thomas) Wilhelm. Married June 20, 1834, to Miss Rachel Arnold, daughter of Frederick and Barbara (Petrey) Arnold. They have six children, Mary, deceased; Dianna, James, Martin L. T. M., Margaret; all are married but one. Mrs. Wilhelm's grandfather was sold when a boy and put to making powder for the Revolutionary War. WILLIAMS, CHARLES H., postmaster, Lancaster; was born in Perry county, in 1848. He came to this city in 1865, and engaged as assistant postmaster, which position he filled till June 21, 1882. He was married to Miss Ida Stewart. They are the parents of two children--- Jennie and Fannie M. Mr. and Mrs. Williams are consistent members of the Methodist church, and active in the discharge of their duties therein. Mr. Williams is an active member of the Republican party and was, for some time, treasurer of the County Central Committee, and is now its chairman. He is a member of the K. T., the I. O. O. F. and the K. of H. He was appointed postmaster by the present administration,.June 27, 1882, and assumed his duties July 10. WILLIAMSON, GEORGE, post office, Lancaster, Hocking township; farmer; born March 16, 1809, in this township; son of Peter and Kesiah (Low) Williamson. Peter was a native of Virginia, emigrated to
this township in 1806, and settled on the same section his son, George, lives on now. In 1824 George went on the Ohio Canal, in the engineer department, and remained there until 1832, and then settled on the farm where he now resides. In 1834 he married Louisa Morris. Her parents. James and Albena (Rees) Morris, were both natives of Virginia and emigrated to this county in 1804, and settled in Amanda township. They became the parents of the following named children: Oliver, William, who married Miss D. Schleich in 1854 and died in 1877; James, Kezia, David, George and Rebecca. WISE, W. M., teacher, Stoutsville; born in Cincinnati August 4, 1855; came to Pickaway county in 1858, removed to this county in 1874. Married October 1, 1875, to Miss Mary Neff; is the father of two children---Jennie, born December 20, 1876; Maggie, born August 7, 1878. The subject of this sketch is at present living in the village of Stoutsville. He is one of the leading teachers of Fairfield county. WOLF, ISAAC V., of Madison township; is a grandson of Valentine Wolf, one of the early settlers of this part of the county and who was born in Frederick county, Maryland, February 27, 1774- His brother, William Wolf, was in the Shay Rebellion, and was also an early settler here. Mr. Valentine Wolf married Miss Mary Dern, of Maryland, also, and became the father of three sons---Ezra, Isaac and Salem, all of whom were well-known, in the county. Mr. Valentine Wolf and family came in wagons and settled on the farm now, in part, owned by Jacob Miller. In this log house was held the first election in the town- ship, in 1812. Ezra Wolf afterwards lived here and weatherboarded the hewed logs in 1844. Valentine Wolf was among the first black- smiths in the township. He died October 14, 1846. Ezra Wolf, the oldest son, took charge of the farm, erected a saw mill about the year 1830, and carried it on until 1844. He lived on the homestead place sixty-five years. Salem lived in the township until 1847, and then moved to Lancaster, where he died in 1875. Ezra, also, died in 1875, August 31, nearly seventy-two years old. Ezra was born in Frederick county, Maryland, January 1, 1804; was seven years old when his parents came to this State. Was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church forty years, and did, as the last act of his life, build Bethany Church, Perry county. Was justice of the Peace six years, first elected in 1840. Was married to Barbara Spangler, daughter of Samuel Spangler. Colonel Spangler was born March 3, 1783, in Pennsyl- vania, was an early settler of this county, and a cabinet maker. In 1804 he settled in Fairfield county Perry township. S. V. Wolf, a son of Ezra, was born September 28, 1833; married a Miss Julia Shaeffer, October 21, 1856, granddaughter of Isaac Shaeffer, who built a saw mill, as early as 1815, and the grist mill in 1830, and the house in 1832. Samuel is one of eight sons and has eight sisters; is a large landholder, and a successful farmer. His mill is in fine condition and has an immense patronage. M. Wolf is a man of no political ambition but is well-known everywhere in the county, having been more or less publically identified with its interests for many years. Was clerk of the township five years, and trustee several years. WOLFE, WILLIAM H., Clerk of Court, Lancaster. He was born in
Pickaway county, March 6, 1841; the son of Samuel and Eliza (Kraft) Wolf. He received a limited education in his youth, and until his twentieth year, engaged in farming. He then commenced teaching in the common schools; in which he continued eight years, during which time he filled the position of Principal of the north grammar school, also south grammar school, in Lancaster. He also occupied similar positions in the schools of Bucyrus, Bowling Green and Delphos. He was elected clerk of the court of this county in 1881. He has been twice married, first in 1852, to Miss Anna Morgan. They were the parents of one daughter, Mabel E. Mrs. Wolf died in 1873. He was again united in marriage in 1876, to Miss Clara A., daughter of Colonel Phillipa Bope, of Lancaster. To this union one son and two daughters were born---Ralph H., Grace F. and Clara B. Mr. Wolf and family are members of the Presbyterian church. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and Royal Arcanum. WOLF, GEORGE, farmer; post office, Stoutsville; born March 8, 1823; married September 27, 1846. He is the father of seven children, five of whom are now living, Jacob, George, John, Daniel and William Henry. William Henry is, at present, living on the farm occupied by his father. He was born August 14, 1857. Married to Maria Leist, December 20, 1881. There was born of this marriage one child, now dead. The subject of this sketch, George Wolf, is one of the oldest settlers and leading men of Clearcreek township. WOLF, JACOB B., farmer, post office, Clear Creek; was born March 21, 1848; married February 11, 1860 to Elizabeth Shupe. He is the father of two children---Lydia, born August 27, 1870; George Franklin, born December 24, 1873. The subject of this sketch, at present, resides two and one-half miles east of Stoutsville. He is one of the enterprising young farmers of Clear Creek township. WOLF, GEORGE W., farmer; post office, Stoutsville; was born August 29, 1849; married October 10, 1872, to Miss Hannah Shupe. He is the father of six children: Cora I., born November 3, 1873; Elmer E., born September 17, 1879; Kirby A., born September 5, 1877; Clinton, born April 1, 1875; Edward, born January 23, 1881, died February 23, 1881; Carrie F., born February 23, 1882. The subject of this sketch is at present living three-fourths of a mile east of Stoutsville, where he has just erected a fine, large brick house. He is one of the prominent young farmers of this township. WOLF, DANIEL, farmer, post office, Stoutsville; was born January 31, 1855; married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Rebecca Dumm. There were born of this marriage four children: Joseph, born August 24, 1876; Amos F., born October 14, 1877; Ida E., born December 2, 1878; Etta R., born March 14, 1881. Mr. Wolf is one of the leading young farmers of this township. WOLFINGER, GEORGE, son of Fredrick and Margaret W.; was born in September, 1848. His parents are of German descent; was married in 1876 to Miss Ellen, daughter of Benjamin and Lyda (Stemen) Freisner. Mrs. W. was born in 1847. They are the parents of two children, Henry B. and George O. WORK, MRS. MARY M., Lancaster; was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, November 8, 1820, the only child of Isaac L. and Sarah (Grounder)
Davis. I. L. Davis was a native of Delaware county, Pennsylvania. He came with his father, N. M. Davis, to Ohio in 1804, settling on the place where Mrs. Work was born, and where her grandfather and father spent their days. Isaac L. Davis learned the trade of paper making, and conducted his business on the Hocking river for many years. Mr. Davis married, in 1819, Sarah, daughter of Peter Grunder, pioneer of Fairfield county. Mrs. Davis has been twice married, and is still living, having reached her eighty-first year. She is now a resident of Logan county. Mrs. Work received a good education, and in 1840 she was united in marriage to John Work, who was born October 11, 1814, in Fairfield county. He was of Irish descent and a tinner by trade. He established the firm of Work & Cornell, dealers in tin, copper and sheet iron. Mr. Work succeeded to the business, which he continued for many years. He died April 4, 1878. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for thirty-three years; an esteemed citizen and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife is a member of the same church. They were the parents of four children, of whom are living Sarah, wife of Dr. J. S. Beck, of Dayton; Mary M., wife of George O. Warrington, of Dayton; Charles and Maggie, still residing at home. WRIGHT, L. H., Judge of Common Pleas Court. Judge Wright resides in Lancaster, where he is prominently identified with all public questions, and is one of the leading citizens of the county.