HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "P"
PALMER, WILLIAM, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Richland township, February 20, 1819; son of Jonathan and Nancy (Dundon) Palmer. Jonathan Palmer, a native of Delaware, born in 1783, came with his wife and four children to Ohio in 1818, settling in Richland township; a portion of the place is now owned by his son, John Palmer. He cleared this place, and there raised his family of eleven children, of which five sons and one daughter remain. He was a member of the M. E. Church. He died in May, 1859, his widow in 1862. William Palmer availed himself of a common school education.
He was married November 22, 1840, to Margaret Havermill, who was born in Missouri, January 1, 1823. They are the parents of ten children, of whom five are living. Elizabeth, wife of Hamilton Elder, a resident of Walnut township; Catharine, wife of David Miller, a resident of Thorn township, Perry county; Nancy, wife of Henry H. Hite, of Walnut township; Rebecca, wife of Lewis S. Hite, and Jonathan, residing on the home farm, who was born August 27, 1848. He was married March 18, 1880, to Emily, daughter of Henry Miller. They are the parents of one son. Mr. Palmer moved to Walnut township from Richland in 1865. Mrs. Palmer died June 17, 1870. In the spring of 1871 the family moved to the present place of residence, which he recently purchased. In 1880 he built a handsome residence. Mr. Palmer was married the second time March 12, 1872, to Ann Elizabeth, daughter of Peter Sperry, a former well-known resident of Walnut township. The family are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Palmer and son are members of the Masonic order. PALMETER, M., dentist, Lancaster. He was born in Coldwater, Michigan. He studied dentistry in Indiana, engaging in practice in Kendallville, and in Elkhart. He came to Ohio in 1874, and located at once in this city. His office is on Broad street, over the grocery of John D. Jackson. . His rooms are excellently fitted, and accord well with the character and habits of the man. PARIDO, CHARLES W., County Recorder, Lancaster. He was born in Clark county, Kentucky, September 22, 1844, eldest son of William and Mary H. Parido. William Parido was a farmer, a well-known resident of Pleasant township. Two of his sons are living---Charles W. and Robert T., the latter a resident of Indiana. His youngest son, William P., was a member of the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth, O.V. I. He was killed at the battle of the Wilderness, May 6, 1864. Charles W. was a pupil at the common schools until fifteen years old, when he attended the Fairfield Union Academy, graduating from that institution in 1866. He then engaged in teaching a number of years, until elected Recorder of Fairfield county in 1881. He is a member of the M. E. Church, also the I. O. O. F. PARRISH, BENJAMIN, farmer, Liberty township. He was born in this township January 14, 1823; son of John and Rebecca (Belt) Parrish. John Parrish was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, in 1792. He first visited Ohio in 1813. In 1815 he came with his father to Ohio; the latter was born in Maryland in 1757. They settled in Walnut township on the place owned by Mrs. Margaret Parrish. He purchased three hundred acres. He was a shoemaker by trade. He died in 1844. In belief he was a Quaker. John cleared the home place. He married a daughter of Joseph Belt. They were the parents of three sons and one daughter; three are living---Benjamin; Alfred, a carpenter by trade, and a resident in Licking county; Mary resides with her brother Benjamin in Liberty township. John Parrish died February 3, 1868, his wife in 1830. Benjamin Parrish never had the opportunities of an education until of age, his mother's death devolving many cares upon him. He took charge of the home place for two years. He was subsequently with his brother, making his home in the family. In the spring of 1879 he located on the place where he now lives, in Liberty
township. He owns one hundred and forty-four acres. In 1880 he built a handsome residence. He is a genial and pleasant gentleman. PARRISH, MRS. MARGARET, Walnut township. She was born in this township October 20, 1825, and is the youngest daughter of Samuel and Sarah Coffman, early settlers in Walnut township. November 11, 1850, she was married to Leonard Parrish, a son of John Parrish, who settled early on the farm, still the home of the family. John Parrish came with his father, Aquilla, in 1815, from Maryland. He entered three hundred acres of land. Leonard Parrish was born on the home place November 13, 1820. He was a farmer, and raised a family of three sons and two daughters---Alonzo, born July 27, 1853; Harley, August 27, 1855; Melissa Angelica, January 5, 1857; Rosa Lee, March 6, 1861, and Joseph, January 6, 1867. The family now own one hundred and seventy-five acres of well-improved land, on which a commodious residence was built in 1861. Mr. Parrish died April 4, 1874, since which time Mrs. Parrish and her sons have managed the farm. The family are members of the M. E. Church, to which Mrs. Parrish has belonged over forty years. The two oldest sons are members of the I. O. O. F., and one daughter and one son are Good Templars. PAUL, JOHN, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in this town- ship, Fairfield county, January 25, 1816; son of Jacob and Mary (Beard) Paul. Jacob Paul was born in Switzerland in 1772. He emigrated with his parents to America in 1804. The family settled in Virginia, where Jacob Paul remained about one year, when he came to Ohio, locating in Fairfield county, and entered one hundred and sixty acres of land, the present site of Pleasantville. He married Mary Beard, and lived for two years on the first named place. He then pur- chased the place now owned by his son John, which also contains one hundred and sixty acres. Here he built a fine hewed log house. He raised a family of six sons and two daughters. He died in 1852, his widow in 1859. John Paul received a fair education, which he has improved by a careful course of reading. He has always engaged in farming. When the canal was built, Mr. Paul held the position of foreman for repairing the section between Newark and Carroll. Mr. Paul has always lived on the home place. In 1844 he was married to Miss Emily Watson, daughter of William Watson, a pioneer of Walnut township. She was born May 18, 1822. They are the parents of eight children---Francis M., of the firm of Paul & Holland, of Basil; W. W., a resident of Iowa; J. M., a member of the bar in Carroll City, Carroll county, Iowa; George E., a resident of Walnut township; Amanda V., the wife of Frank B. Wiseman, of Rushville, Ohio; Emma S., the wife of Nathan Melick, of Richland township; John Wesley and Mary Etta, at home. The family are members of the M. E. Church. PEARCE, WILLIAM B., retired, Lancaster. He was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, August 30, 1860. He emigrated to Ohio with his parents, Lewis and Lydia (Bowser) Pearce, in 1811. The family settled in Richland township. William B. acquired a common school education, and remained on the home farm until his eighteenth year, when he learned the carpenter and joiner trade. He came to Lancaster in 1832, his first work in this city being on the Ewing mansion.
He continued the carpenter business until 1859, when he removed to a farm of one hundred and nine acres, which he still owns, located two and one-half miles from Lancaster. He resided there and conducted the place till the spring of 1878, when he returned to Lancaster, occupying a commodious residence, built by himself in 1834. Since leaving the farm he has led a retired life. Six years he was a member of the City Council, also Trustee of Berne township one or more terms. He is a prosperous and substantial citizen, a genial and well-preserved old gentleman. Mr. Pearce was married in 1833 to Lavina Shellenbarger, daughter of Samuel Shellenbarger, a pioneer of Fairfield county. To them were born, fourteen children, of whom seven sons and three daughters are living. Mrs. Pearce died in 1862. He was again married the following year to Mrs. Sarah Calkins, daughter of George Crook, a former resident of Berne township. Mrs. Pearce was born in Berne township, in 1826. At the time of her marriage to Mr. Pearce, she was the mother of two sons and two daughters---William R., J. H., Marie E. and Amelia A. Calkins. To the second marriage of Mr. Pearce were born two sons and one daughter, viz.: Deleran A., Mary S. and Hayden B. PEARSE, A. V., proprietor of Mithoff House, Lancaster, Ohio; was born January 12, 1846, in Walnut township, Fairfield county, Ohio; son of James Wilson and H. D. (Ward) Pearse. Mr. Pearse was raised a farmer, and followed that business until 1875, when he went into the hotel and dry goods business at Millersport, Fairfield county, remaining until 1877, at which date he went to Somerset, Perry county, Ohio, and kept hotel one year, from where he came to where he now is engaged as before mentioned. Mr., Pearse was married December 29, 1881, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Effinger) Kinkade. Mr. Pearse's father was born and raised in Fairfield county, Ohio, and was engaged on public works during his younger days, and assisted in the deep cut, in Walnut township, for the passage of the Ohio canal. He lived until December of 1868. A. V. Pearse's mother was born and raised in Onondaga county. New York; came to Ohio at an early day with her parents, where she became acquainted with and married James W. Pearse. PENCE, DAVID, SR., deceased; was born in Virginia, February 4, 1777. He was married to Barbara Ruffner, in Shenandoah county, Virginia, February 22, 1803. Their children were Aaron, born December 10, 1803; Anna, born August 9, 1806; Nelly, born March 1, 1808; Polly, born January 4, 1812; Joseph, born May 13, 1813; Rebecca, born October 28, 1817; Elizabeth, born April 26, 1820; David, born November 3, 1822; Savilla, born November 3, 1822; Sophia, born November 29, 1826. Mr. Pence was married a second time February 1, 1832, in Licking county, Ohio, to Katharine Groves. Their children were John, born November 7, 1832; Henry, born December 27, 1836; Samantha, born November 26, 1838; Sarah Katharine, born July 20, 1840. PENCE, DAVID, JR., was born in Richland township, Fairfield county, on the 3d day of November, 1822. He was married July 23, 1853, to Miss Harriet N. Pugh, who was born in Walnut township, Fairfield county, September 16, 1821. Their children were: Margaret Ann,
born May 11, 1854; Henry Clinton, born January 16, 1856. Margaret Ann was married to Joseph S. Sites, in November, 1874. Henry Clinton was married to Anna Shisler, in May, 1880. Mr. Pence is at present one of the proprietors of the Pleasantville flouring mills. PENCE, DAVID & CO., proprietors Pleasantville grist mills. This mill was erected in 1881, and is one of the largest flouring mills in Fairfield county. The machinery is all new, and the firm are prepared to do custom grinding for all who may favor them with their patronage. PETERS, ORRIN E., merchant, Lancaster, Ohio. Son of Judge G. M. and Miranda E. Peters; was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, February 4, 1842. The family moved to Columbus, Ohio, about 1845, remaining there until the fall of 1855, and then moved to Lancaster, Ohio. In October, 1854, Miranda E. Peters died; and in April, 1868, G. M. Peters died. Judge Peters was an early settler in Ohio, and an extensive merchant and manufacturer at Logan, for many years; at one time holding the position of Judge in Hocking county. Orrin E. improved such educational advantages as the common schools afforded; he also took a course of studies at the commercial college of Duff, McCoy & Co., Columbus, Ohio; in February, 1856, he entered the large dry goods house of Kutz, Reber & Co., remaining with them until September 6, 1861, when he inlisted in Company A, Seventeenth Regiment O. V. I., and was soon after made Commissary Sergeant of the seventeenth Regiment, O. V. I.; being with the Regiment in the engagements of Wild Cat, Mill Springs, Hoover's Gap, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, and many other miner engagements; serving as volunteer aid de camp to Colonel J. M. Connell, commanding brigade at Chicha-. mauga, and at the crossing of Brown's Ferry. In December, 1863, he was detailed for duty in the depot commissary departments on the Atlanta campaign; and was mustered out of service at Atlanta, Georgia, in October, 1864, returning to Lancaster. Mr. Peters engaged in clerking for a brief period, until March, 1865, when the firm of Peters, Miller & Brother, was organized; two years later, Mr. Peters purchased the interest of Miller & Brother, and the firm was O. E. Peters until January, 1, 1870, when the firm of Peters, Trout & Co. was formed, and remained until January 1, 1876, when Peters & Trout became sole owners, and has continued under the firm name of Peters & Trout ever since. In 1881, they erected the elegant and commodious building, forty by one hundred and fifty-three feet, three stories high, which was built especially for their business, and which they occupy. They employ from ten to twelve men on first floor, and from fifty to sixty hands in their work shops, manufacturing custom-made clothing; they also are large dealers in ready-made clothing, hats, caps, gents' furnishing goods, etc. It is certainly an establishment of which Lancaster may well be proud, as it has few equals in Ohio. Mr. Peters was married February l4, 1865, to Miss Margaret Ann Eckert. They are the parents of four children, three living---two daughters and one son. PETERS, .J. A., M. D., of Dumontsville; a prominent physician of this town and vicinity; is a graduate of the Reynoldsburg schools, and of the Louisville Medical College. His literary attainments were all that the best public and high schools could afford, and his course in medicine thorough. He had been a student of Materia Medica many
years, completing his course of studies preparatory to his entering college under Dr. Short of Winchester. He also attended lectures in Columbus prior to his going to Louisville, where he graduated, taking the degree of M. D. in the Louisville Medical College, in the year 1878. Since graduation. Dr. Peters has worked into a large and successful practice. The physicians of Dumontsville, beginning with the first, have been Dr. Meissie, Dr. Brooks,. Dr. Mills, Dr. Bright and Dr. Peters. PUGH, B. M., farmer. Walnut township. He is the son of John H. and Rachel (Murphy) Pugh. He was born in Walnut township, July 3, 1832. He was educated in the common schools, and chose the occupation of farming for his vocation of life. He purchased a farm of three hundred and eighty-two acres, which he still conducts. He is also largely engaged in buying and shipping grain at different points in his own and surrounding towns, doing the most extensive business in the county. He is engaged now in the erection of a steam flouring mill in Basil. It is to have a capacity for grinding one hundred bushels of wheat per day. Mr. Pugh is widely and favorably known as a successful and enterprising business man of the highest integrity. He was married in November, 1859, to Miss Sarah Fall. They were the parents of seven children.. Mrs. Pugh died April 7, 1878. The grandfather of Mr. Pugh came from Virginia to Walnut township in 1805. He cleared a farm of two hundred and fifty acres, and lived here twenty-six years, and reared a family of five sons and three daughters. John H., the father of B. M. Pugh, owned and cultivated a farm of four hundred acres; he also engaged extensively in stock raising. He died March 5, 1868; his widow is still living with one of her sons on the home place, in good health and with faculties unimpaired, although in her seventy- fourth year. PUGH, JESSE, deceased, was born near Winchester, Virginia, September 5, 1776, and was married to Elizabeth Hampson, about 1799. She was born in Virginia, June 4, 1778. They had eight children, viz.: Margaret, born December 1, 1801; John H., born September 1, 1803; Mary, born July 13, 1806: Elizabeth, born May 29, 1809; Jonathan, born June 9, 1812: James H., born December 17, 1815; Daniel, born September 2, 1818; Harriet, born September 16, 1821. All are dead, but Harriet, wife of David Pence. Mr. Pugh came to Fairfield county in 1803.