HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "O"
OLIVER,. W. W., blacksmith, Baltimore; born in the city of New York, February 9, 1826; son of Thomas and Sarah (Lamberson) Oliver. Was married to Eliza Bury, June 28, 1849, who died February 27, 1867. They had six children, viz. : William H., born June 27, 1851 ; Edward W., born February 25, 1853 ; John O., born May 14, 1859; Olie O., born February 18, 1860; Francis B., born January 18, 1862, and Tillie, born June 18, 1866. Mr. Oliver was married to Mary Baker, June 26, 1869; had two children, Rosa E., born January 22, 1872, and Charles F., born October 1, 1876. Mr. Oliver was in Company K, Seventeenth Ohio Regiment; was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. both subordinate and encampment. ORMAN, HENRY, builder and contractor, Lancaster. He was born in Maryland, June 15, 1804. After acquiring a common school education, at the age of fourteen he commenced an apprenticeship of seven years and combined the trades of cabinet maker and carpenter. Before fully completing it he started on foot for Ohio, in 1823, reaching Somerset, Perry county. He remained there until April, 1824., when he came to Lancaster, working as journeyman. He then worked on the old market house then in course of erection, receiving eighteen dollars per month and board. He began the building and contracting business in 1826, and continued successfully until retiring from active life in recent years. He is a vigorous and genial old gentleman. Although never desiring public office he was a member of the city council one term. He has been a member of the Masonic order since 1826, and is an exemplary member of the English Lutheran church. He was united in marriage February 23, 1828, to Ann Beck. Mrs. Orman was born in Lancaster in 1808. To them have been born eight children, of whom five are living, viz. : Henry Jr., is a carpenter and resident of Arcadia, California; Jacob B., Thomas and George, compose the firm of J. B. Orman & Brothers, and Ellen still at home. Jacob B. Orman, the senior member of the enterprising firm of Orman Brothers, was born in Lancaster, January 14, 1834, where he acquired a fair education, subsequently learning the carpenter trade, which he followed until 1862, when he was appointed Quartermaster of the Ninetieth O.V.I., and with that regiment took part in many hard fought battles, including Stone River, Chickamauga and the campaign to Atlanta. He was also at Franklin, and at Nashville was promoted to the captaincy in the Quartermaster's department in 1864, serving until the close of the war. Returning to civil life he organized the firm of J. B. Orman & Brothers
in 1868. This firm deals extensively in lumber, sash, doors, blinds and building material, also conducting a plaining mill. Mr. J. B. Orman is an active member of the order of Free Masons, also the G. A. R. George, the youngest son of Henry Orman, was also a member of a Fairfield county regiment during the rebellion, and served during the war, the greater part of the time being on detached duty at Columbus and Washington. ORTMAN, SIMON, retired. Walnut township. He was born in Frederick county, Maryland, April 28, 1811; the only son of Jacob and Mary (Brown) Ortman. Jacob Ortman, a native of Maryland, was born September 17, 1783, and came with his wife and three children to Ohio in 1825. They settled in Walnut township on the place now owned by Frank Foster. He purchased one-fourth section of land, partially improved. In 1832 he built the residence still occupied on the place. He raised a family of three children. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He owned at his death some two hundred and fifty acres of land. He died October 2, 1849; his widow in April, 1854. Simon Ortman, after completing his education, engaged in farming. He married May 22, 1834, Miss Elsie, daughter of Rev. James Hooper, a former itinerant preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church, and a resident of Perry county. Mrs.Ortman was born in Perry county, September 26, 1813. Mr. Ortman became a resident of Perry county after his marriage, until 1868, when he came to New Salem and lived three years. In the spring of 1872 he returned to the farm and lived there five years, when he returned to New Salem and built the fine residence in which he resides. To his first marriage were born three children, viz.: Maggie, who is the wife of M. C. Bugh; she died in 1878, in her twenty-second year; Benson C., a merchant of New Salem, and one who died in infancy. The first Mrs. Ortman died October 1, 1875. In 1877 he was united in marriage to Louisa Baker, who lived three years after marriage; she died September 22, 1880. June 1,. 1882, he was married to Mrs. Mary E. Darnell, daughter of John R. Connell, of Adams county, Ohio. Mr. Ortman was licensed as local preacher of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1852. Mrs. Ortman, when married to Mr. Ortman, was the mother of one son, Wilber M. Darnell, born September 9, 1863, who resides with his parents. OUTCALT, JAMES, Lancaster. He is the oldest son of John and Mary A. (Clark) Outcalt. John Outcalt was born in New Jersey in 1812. He came with his parents to Ohio in 1820. They settled in Hocking township, where they lived for a number of years; thence removing to Liberty, and purchasing the farm now owned by Joseph Snider. In 1853 John Outcalt changed his place of residence, selecting for his home the farm. It is now owned and occupied by his son, and there his widow still resides. Mrs. Outcalt is a lady of sixty-five years, though appearing many years younger. She is a lady of fine culture, and held in the highest esteem by her many friends. John Outcalt died September 22, 1878. James secured a good education. During the winter months he taught school, and in the summer assisted at home. In 1858 he engaged in clerking in Morrow county. He remained here until the fall of 1861, when he enlisted in the Seven-
teenth O. V. I. He was in active service three years, and participated in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, and Atlanta. He was also with Sherman on his famous march to the sea. When his term of enlistment had expired, he re-enlisted and took part in the grand review at Washington. At the close of the war he had attained the rank of First Lieutenant, and was also Acting Quartermaster a part of the time while in the service. . He returned to civil life in July, 1865. Mr. Outcalt engaged in mercantile business in Crawford and Morrow counties until the spring of 1880. when he returned to Fairfield county. He was united in marriage in May, 1868, to Miss Mary J. Lyon, of Morrow county. Mr. and Mrs. Outcalt are the parents of three children- Bertha M., Edwin C. and J. Milton. The family are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Outcalt is also a member of the Masonic order. OUTCALT, GILBERT, farmer, Liberty township. He was born in Middlesex county, New Jersey, October 12, 1803; son of John T. and Mary (Taylor) Outcalt. He came with his parents to Ohio in 1820, settling in Liberty township, on the farm now owned by G. W. Reelhorn. Gilbert improved such educational advantages as were offered in New Jersey. In Liberty township he assisted his father in clearing their farm, remaining at home until his marriage to Miss Nancy Campbell, in March, 1826. She was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, January 10, 1808. For some years the young couple resided on the old Campbell farm, Mrs. Outcalt falling heir to a portion of the old place at the death of her father. Mr. and Mrs. Outcalt removed to Columbus in 1868, remaining there until their return to their former residence in 1878. The home farm contains one hundred and fifty acres, finely cultivated. Mr. Outcalt is engaged largely in raising and selling stock. Of the ten children in this family, two died in infancy; Andrew, who was born in 1827, died in August, 1863; Mary Catharine is now the wife of G. Zone, of Columbus ; Harvey C. is a resident of Columbus; Henry D. resides upon the home place; Thomas J. is an assistant in the post office at Columbus ; A. Judson and Hiram are connected with the Deaf and Dumb Asylum at Columbus ; Sarah was the wife of Alfred Farranger. She died in February, 1876, leaving one son, Claude, who is now residing with his grandparents. Four of Mr. Outcalt's sons rendered able assistance during the late war. Thomas, Henry and Judson enlisted in the Seventeenth O. V. I., and participated in all the engagements of that regiment for three years. A. Judson was wounded at the battle of Lookout Mountain ; Thomas lost an arm in the engagement at Murfreesboro. Hiram served with the one hundred day men. The family are members of the Baptist Church.