HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "M"
McCLEERY, SAMUEL R., merchant; post office, Pleasantville; born in this county in 1842; son of William and Priscilla (McCall) McCleery; grandson of James and Jane McCleery. Mr. McCleery is of Scotch- Irish parentage. He enlisted in the army in 1861, in the three months' service. Re-enlisted again in 1862, in the Eleventh Ohio Cavalry. He was stationed in the Territories doing service against the Indians. Discharged at Omaha in March, 1865. Is engaged at present in the hardware business. Was married in 1873, to Miss Sarah E. Kemmerer. They have one child living and one dead. McCORMICK, JOHN D., deceased. He was born in Cincinnati in 1848. He came to Perry county in 1851, and to Lancaster in 1873; he studied law with Mr. Fritter, and was admitted to practice in Lancaster. He was elected Mayor of Lancaster in 1877, and Prosecuting Attorney of Fairfield county in 1880; and was filling that office when overtaken suddenly by death. The same year he was elected Mayor, he was mar- ried to Lizzie, daughter of James McManamy of Lancaster. Mr. Mc- Cormick's sudden death is thus noted by the Lancaster Gazette: "The community was terribly shocked on Saturday morning last, by the intel- ligence that John D. McCormick. Prosecuting Attorney of this county, had been found dead in his bed. He had evidently died of a congestive chill or heart trouble. While. Mr. McCormick has been more or less indisposed for weeks past, with a touch of malarial fever, he has never been so sick as to occasion alarm. A man of splendid physique, hearty, robust and healthful, as a rule, his sudden death came like an electric flash from the clear skies. He was a good citizen---kind, affec-
tionate, charitable and enterprising, and was on a fair way to make himself a name in his profession as a lawyer. He was elected Mayor of the city in 1876, filling the office with efficiency for one term, and in the fall of 1880, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney, in which capacity he displayed much zeal and activity. John D. McCormick was the sole remnant of his father's family, and was born in the city of Cincinnati in 1848. At an early age his parents died, and he was thrown upon his own resources for a livelihood. He was honest, industrious and upright; attained a good education, being a graduate as Bachelor of Science from Notre Dame University, and led, up to his final hour, a useful life. His wife, who, was doubly afflicted by her absence in Cincinnati at the time of his death, is inconsolable at her loss, while scores of friends regret and mourn his early death." McNAGHTEN, DAVID Y., ex-farmer and stock raiser, Walnut township. He was born in this township, October 25,1815, the son of Thomas and Rebecca (Young) McNaghten. Thomas was a resident of Pennsylvania, born about 1786. He came with his father to Ohio, in 1803, settling on the place now owned by A. Spitler. His father entered one-fourth section of land for each of his nine children. He died about 1818. Thomas settled on his section at an early day, cleared the place, and here died. He raised a family of thirteen children, five sons and one daughter now living. He owned some five hundred acres of land at the time of his death; he filled the position of Justice of the Peace for some twenty years; he was a member of the Baptist church; he served as lieutenant in a company from Walnut township, in the War of 1812; was promoted to captain. He died in 1813. David Y., engaged in farming at home, until his marriage. March, 1836, to Miss Deborah Ashbrook, a well known resident of Pleasant township; she was born in that township, May 6, 1819. For five years the young couple resided on a place owned by his father, in Walnut township. March 4, 1841, he settled on the place where he still resides, having purchased one-fourth section of land, then partially cleared. In 1853, he built a new residence, which was destroyed by fire in 1878; he then built his present residence. He now owns two hundred and thirteen acres of land; an ex-farmer and stock raiser. They are the parents of eight children, two died in infancy. Aaron Thomas enlisted in 1861, in the Seventeenth Regiment O. V. I., for three months. In the fall of the same year, in the Sixty-second Regiment O. V. I., commanded by Colonel Steele. In 1863 he was instantly killed, at the storming of Fort Wagner; Mary, the widow of David Said, of Pleasantville; James N., owns a portion of his grandfather's home place; Rebecca Ellen, wife of Leslie Lath, resides with her parents; Ella R., wife of William Taylor, a resident of Walnut township; Eva Jane, resides with her parents. Several members of the family are connected with the Baptist church. MCNAGHTEN, A. A., born in this county in 1851; son of Noah and Mariah (Ashbrook) McNaghten; grandson of Thomas and Mary McNaghten; grandson of Thomas P. and Anna Ashbrook. Mr. McNaghten's father was the founder of the Fairfield Union Academy, located at Pleasantville, Ohio. Has also been a trustee of the institution
for some twenty years. The subject of this sketch, with the other members of the family, received their early education at this school. Mr. McNaghten was married in 1872, to Miss Mary J. Shisler, daughter of Emanuel and Sarah (Fairchild) Shisler. They have three children: Nella G., Minnie S., Ralph W. MCNEIL. J. B., Attorney at Law, Lancaster, Ohio. MACHLIN, PHILIP, farmer, Liberty township. He was born in Pleasant township, December 8, 1823, the son of Peter and Susan (Conkle) Machlin. Peter Machlin was a native of Pennsylvania; born in 1794- Mr. Machlin came with his father to Ohio in 1805, settling in Pleasant township, on the farm now owned by Adam Weaver. Peter Machlin became a resident of Liberty township about 1835, locating on the place now owned by John Andregg, upon which he spent his days. He was the father of nine children, of whom six daughters and two sons are living. His death took place June 30, 1878. Philip, from infancy, lived with his grandfather, by whom he was educated. He chose farming for an occupation, and after the death of his grandfather, in 1842, he continued to reside on his grandfather's home place, in Pleasant township, until 1848, when he removed to Liberty township, and located where he still resides. About fifty acres had been cleared and a log house was built on the place, which was succeeded in 1871 by a commodious family residence. Mr. Machlin is the owner of one hundred and seventy-five acres of finely improved land. Mr. Machlin was township trustee five years, and is a member of the Reform church, also of the Masonic order. He has been twice married; first, in 1846, to Salome Radenbaugh, and to that marriage thirteen children were born, of whom two sons and eight daughters are living. Mrs. Machlin died in May, 1864, and Mr. Machlin was again married, September 5, 1865, to Mrs. Eliza Jane Freeman, daughter of Henry Conkle; to this union has been born one son, Charlie, July 31, 1867. MACHLIN, SAMUEL, farmer and stock raiser; post office, Lancaster. Mr. Machlin was born in Pleasant township in 1807; son of Duval and Mary (Rough) Macklin, who emigrated to this county from Pennsylvania. Mr. Macklin has been twice married; first in 1820 to Miss Eliza Arnold, daughter of Jacob Arnold. They had four children, viz.: Eli, deceased; Mariah, Lucy A. and Mary A. Mr. Machlin was married to Elizabeth Arnold, his second wife, in 1839. This union was blessed with eight children, viz.: Jacob, deceased; William, Benjamin, Perry, George, Joseph, S. R. and Clara. All married but one. MAYNE, DR. W. F., physician, Liberty township. Dr. Mayne was born in Virginia, August 10, 1828; the son of H. C. and Ann (Robison) Mayne. H. C. Mayne came to Ohio in 1830, locating at Zanesville, and remained there some seven years. W. F. Mayne attended the common school until eighteen years of age., He then came to Basil, where he began the study of medicine, under the tutillage of his father. In 1859 he commenced attending lectures in the Ohio Medical College, continuing until he graduated. He then came to Basil and commenced to practice his profession, which he has since continued uninterruptedly. The doctor is widely known as a skillful physician, as well as a cultured gentleman. He was married in June, 1865, to Miss
Eliza Jane McNell, who was born in Ross county, Ohio. They are the parents of four children. Dr. and Mrs. Mayne are members of the Reform Church. MEASOM, JOHN, deceased, of Greenfield township, was a well known citizen of Pleasant Summit, and prior to his recent death, the oldest living settler in the township. His father, Isaac Measom settled in Greenfield in 1799, when there were but a half dozen families in this section of the country. His mother was a daughter of Ralph Cherry, and his birth was among the first in the township. He grew up inured to all the hardships and privations of pioneer life, and became a useful and wealthy man, identifying himself prominently in both the affairs of church and county. The Methodist society of Pleasant Summit take pleasure in giving him and his youngest brother, George Measom, great credit as the founders and warm supporters of their prosperous church. His father's family and his children, by his two marriages, are all dead. His widow, formerly Mrs. Davis, survives him. This Christian lady is also bereft of her children, having only grandchildren to administer to her needs and comforts. Her daughter. Miss Catharine Davis, married first, Mr. George Measom, the youngest brother of John. He was a lawyer and a good man, and after his death she married W. H. Rarey. brother,of John Rarey, the world renowned horse trainer. By this marriage there were four children, all of whom are now married save Annie, who lives with Mrs. Measom, on the grand old homestead, near Pleasant Summit. MIESSE, GABRIEL, JR., M. D., physician and surgeon, Lancaster, Ohio; was born January 5, 1838, near Dumontsville, Fairfield county, Ohio; son of Gabriel Miesse, Sr., and Mary (Wiest) Miesse. Being encouraged during his youth by his father, who was an amateur musician, a composer and writer of music, he developed considerable talent for music. At present he has the reputation of being thoroughly versed in all arts of musical matters, and has few equals as a pianist and teacher of music. In his fourth year he went to school with a board 6x16 inches suspended from his neck by a leather string, upon one side of which was the alphabet in glowing colors, and words for spelling, and upon the other side figures and multiplication table, interspersed with verse. A year later he fell, while playing "tag," upon the steps of his father's residence, receiving a severe wound in the forehead. From the care and attention of his parents, he soon made rapid progress towards recovery. Soon, after this his parents moved to Columbus, Ohio. Here young Gabriel attended the city schools, and made rapid progress in his studies. In 1845, while playing hat ball at school, he came near losing his life. When he dropped the ball into one of the hats, he started upon the retreat, and ran beneath one of a six horse team that was drawing a wagon loaded with limestone for the construc- tion of the present State House. A gentleman saw the accident, and "Whoa!" rang out upon the air, and the team was stopped just in time to save him. In 1848 his parents located in Greenville, Dark county, Ohio, landing there June 2d, after making a distance of ninety- six miles in two and one-half days, by wagon, hauling their household goods with them. At this place young Gabriel became popular for his musical ability, and classes were soon organized by him for the study
of music, many of whom can testify to his success as a teacher. At the age of thirteen he began to establish a menagerie from the forest near by, together with a museum of native animals, birds, reptiles, fishes, a large collection of geological specimens, Indian relics, etc. The birds were of many varieties, the most prominent being the bald eagle, and white and gray cranes and loons. This miniature show was well patronized, at an admission fee of ten cents. During the same season P. T. Barnum's great menagerie arrived. Ere the day passed Mr. Barnum noticed the sign over the door, "Gabriel Miesse's happy family of wild animals and birds," and soon retraced his steps to the hotel and returned in company with Tom Thumb and others, purchased tickets, and entered the show, with which they were much delighted, and were amused to see the porcupine cast its quills. Several times in the presence of, and to the surprise of the great showman, young Gabriel fondled the animal of feathers. In return for the pleasant surprise Mr. Barnum placed a complimentary ticket to his mammoth show in the hands of the young showman. This afforded him a great pleasure, and he was also permitted to ride with Tom Thumb upon one of the elephants. At the age of sixteen years he frequently gave musical entertainments to the delight of all in attendance. Often upon these occasions his parents were obliged to stretch a rope across the room to protect him during his renditions upon the piano. The long winter evenings were usually of great pleasure to the family. At the age of sixteen he frequently lectured to his many friends upon anatomy, often reciting whole pages from memory, and by the use of the blackboard illustrated the various structures of man. At this time he also became proficient in the use of the knife in removing many cancers, tumors, etc. Upon one occasion a middle-aged farmer came to Dr. Miesse's father for the treatment of scurvy, who gave the patient into the hands of the young physician, with instructions to remove the encrustations from the teeth of the suffering man. He proceeded to the task, and finding the teeth so very loose that it was difficult to work at them with- out removal, he extracted ten of them with his fingers, cleaned them, replaced them in their proper sockets, and pressed them home. The patient, well pleased with the work, returned home, and three months afterward reported cured, the teeth having become firmly attached in their places. This method of transplanting teeth has been successfully followed by the Doctor up to the present time. The subject of this sketch studied medicine with his father. Dr. Gabriel Miesse, Sr., graduated with high honors, and received a diploma from one of the leading medical colleges in 1856. Since graduating he has been in constant practice of his profession. In 1857 he located in Sidney, Ohio, and with the assistance of his uncle, Jacob Miesse, they established a fine practice. In 1858 he returned to his father's home, on account of poor health, where he remained, assisting his father until the spring of 1862. He was married May 14, 1862, to Miss Caroline, daughter of David and Rose Ann (Kemmerer) Kemmerer. She was born March 16, 1840, near Lancaster, Ohio. They have one child, Leon Edgar, born June 12, 1864, in Bremen, Auglaize county, Ohio. David Kemmerer was born October 24, 1813, near Emaus, Pennsylva- nia, and moved to Ohio, where he became a wealthy farmer, and an
influential man in his community. He departed this life September 5, 1866. Rose Ann Kemmerer was born March 19, 1820, near Dumonts- ville, Ohio, and was married May 31, 1838, to David Kemmerer. They became the parents of two children, Caroline, and Sarah, wife of George W. Beck, cashier of the First National Bank, of Lancaster, Ohio. Mrs. Kemmerer is still living. In June, of 1862, Dr. Miesse located in Wapakoneta, Auglaize county, Ohio, where he met with wonderful success, curing many obstinate cases of chronic diseases, which brought him a large practice. In 1863, through the earnest solicitations of his sister, Mrs. Sophia (Miesse) Koop, and his many friends, he moved his family to New Bremen, same county. Here his success was continued, many from adjoining counties calling upon him for medical treatment. In 1864 he removed to Lancaster, where he still lives, and enjoys an excellent practice, giving special attention to chronic diseases. His books show over thirty thousand patients suc- cessfully treated, and he refuses to make public the hundreds of testimo- nials from patients scattered all over the country. The Doctor is also an artist of more than average ability. The design and construction of his elegant residence, on East Main street, is sufficient to convince the unbeliever. In 1872 the Doctor was elected to represent the Fifth Ward in the City Council. From 1875 to 1877 he delivered a series of lectures upon "Anatomy, Physiology and Hygiene;" "The Plow, Its Uses and Improvements from Early Date to the Present Time;" "Fashions and Customs of a Hundred Years Ago;" "Astronomy;" "The Solar System;" "The Farmers' Grange;" "The Sun's Heat;" "Light and Heat;" "Is the Physical Organization of the Sun a Mass of Fire?" etc. In 1878 he became a member, by order of the Council, of a committee of five to plat the Fifth Ward. In 1880 the City Council appointed him Chairman of a Platting Commission to plat the city into streets and alleys within the corporate limits, which plat can be seen at the Council Chamber. MILLER, DAVID, deceased, Walnut township; was born in Rock- ingham county, Virginia, February 2, 1803, the eldest son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Brumbach) Miller.. David came with his parents to Ohio in the spring of 1805. He was educated in Walnut township, and assisted his father in clearing the farm, until his marriage, December 9, 1828, to Miss Frances D., daughter of Jacob Guile, a former well- known resident of Berne township. Mrs. Miller was born in this county, September 11, 1810. After marriage, they continued to reside on the home place. Upon his father's death, in 1831, he took sole charge of the place. His mother resided with him. In 1833, he built a nice residence. The barn built by his father is still in use; it was built in 1820. Mr. and Mrs. Miller were the parents of one daughter and eleven sons, eight sons and the daughter still living, all residents of this county. Elizabeth, the wife of John Eversole; three sons still at home, Jacob K., an ex-grain buyer, of Millersport; Josiah C. and Benjamin F. on the home place. Mr. Miller was grandfather to thirty children and great grandfather to four. They were members of the United Brethren Church. In 1875, Mr. Miller contributed $700 to the erection of the United Brethren Church. He was a successful farmer, owning at his death two hundred and sixty acres---the home place and one
hundred and ten acres elsewhere in the county. He died December 3, 1882, in his eightieth year. MILLER, HENRY, farmer, Walnut township; son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Brumback) Miller. He was born in Walnut township, November 12, 1805. Abraham Miller, born in Pennsylvania, removed to Virginia, where he was married and came with his wife and five children to Ohio in the spring of 1805, settling in this township, on the place owned by David Miller, which is still owned by his heirs. Abraham entered a one- half section of land and improved it. He raised a family of nine children, two now living: Barbara, widow of Joseph Berry, a resident of Iowa, and Henry Miller. Abraham Miller was Justice of the Peace for a number of years. He was a member of Menonite Church. He died September 3, 1831; his widow, March 6, 1862, in her ninety-first year. Henry Miller completed his education and helped in clearing the home place. In 1826, his father gave him a one-fourth section of land.. This he improved. He built a hewed log house, where his present residence stands. In 1839, he was married to Rachel Ann Biddell, who was born in this county. To that marriage have been born eight children, four of whom are living. Mrs. Miller died about 1861. Mr. Miller now owns five hundred acres. He never desired office, but accepted that of township treasurer one year. In 1862 Mr. Miller was married to Miss Mary Shane, who was born in Walnut township. They are the parents of three children, one living, Alma Jane, residing with her father. Mrs. Miller died in 1872. Mr. Miller is a member of the Baptist Church. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, which he cleared. He is a self-made man. MILLER, MRS. BARBARA, was born in Pleasant township, February 5, 1813, daughter of Abraham and Mary M. (Musselman) Hite. Abraham Hite was a son of Abraham Hite, Sr., a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere. Mrs. Miller's father settled in Pleasant township about 1805 or 1806, remaining there seven years. He came to Walnut township in 1816, and settled on the place now owned by his daughter, Mrs. Miller. He built the brick residence now occupied by her, in 1826. He raised a family of three daughters, all living in Walnut township. He was a member of the Baptist Church. He died in 1860. Mrs. Miller was married December 1, 1831, to John W. Miller, who was born in this county, March 25, 1809. After marriage the young couple resided on a portion of the Hite place; afterwards took charge of the home place, and still reside there. They were the parents of nine children, of whom five are living: Mary Magdaline, wife of B. F. Warner, of Walnut township; Jacob D., residing on a portion of the home place; Elizabeth, the wife of B. F. Winters, a resident of this township; Samuel W., married and living on the home place; Benjamin F., born May 4, 1854 married in 1875, to Miss Emma F. Cook. They are the parents of three children, one son and one daughter living. Mr. Miller died September 26, 1876. His widow, assisted by her sons, conducts the home place. Mrs. Miller is a member of the Baptist Church. MILLER, ALEXANDER, farmer, Liberty township. He was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, January 13, 1814; the son of Peter and Christiana (Hisey) Miller. He was educated in the common schools of Virginia. He remained with his parents and engaged in farming
until he came to Ohio, in 1836. He located in Liberty township and began work at the carpenters' trade, of which he had acquired some knowledge before leaving his native State. In October, 1837, he was married, to Hester, daughter of John Bright. He settled the following year on the place where he still resides; it was then entirely wild, but has since been transformed into a fine improved farm, of two hundred and forty-nine acres, with modern and commodious farm buildings. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of thirteen children, of whom the following are living: Peter, living upon the family homestead; Harriet, the wife of Henry Smith, of Liberty township; Enoch F., who, also, resides on a part of the home place; Hannah, now Mrs. John Myers, of Indiana; Mary, the wife of Ezra Smith; John H., James P., Ellen and Caroline Augusta, still at home. Mr. Miller and family are members of the Lutheran church. His sons, Peter and Enoch F., were in the One Hundred and Sixtieth O. V. I. during the late war. MILLER, SAMUEL M. B., farmer, Walnut township. He was born in this township February 8, 1837; the second son of James and Narcisa (Shaw) Miller. James Miller was born in this township August 11, 1811; only son of James Sr., who came to Ohio in 1801 or 1802, settling on the place now owned by his grandson, S. M. B. Miller. He entered one-fourth section of land and built a log house, where he spent his days; he died in 1847. James Miller, Jr., was married July 3, 1834, to Narcisa Shaw, daughter of William Shaw, at one time a resident of Walnut township, afterwards of Auglaize county, Ohio. Mrs. Miller was born in Fayette county, Virginia, October 5, 1814. James Miller resided on the home place until his death. They were the parents of two sons; D. L. died November, 1856, in his 21st year, and S. M. B. James Miller was a member of the Methodist Protestant church. He died November 18, 1877. His widow is still living. S. M. B. M. was married January 1, 1863, to Miss Louisa, daughter of Elijah Berry; she was born in this county January 11, 1842. They are the parents of three sons, E. B., J. M. and C. M. Mr. Miller is a member of the I. O. O. F. He owns ninety-three acres of land, and is a worthy citizen. MILLER, HENRY G., was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, March 2, 1836. He resided in that county until 1850, when he removed to Morgan county, and from there to Fairfield county, in 1865. He was married October 29, 1860, to Mary Melissa Nulton, who was born in Washington county, Ohio, December 4, 1838. Their children are: Alonzo E., born May 5, 1862; Lena E., born May 20, 1864; Lizzie L., born October 14, 1866; Flora W., born December 26, 1868; George H., born March 25, 1871; Anna F., born November 20, 1873; Mary, born May 4, 1876. Mr. Miller is one of the wealthiest farmers in Pleasant township, and is the owner of a very fine residence. MINEHART, ABSALOM, farmer, Liberty township. He was born in Liberty township April 17, 1818; the son of Adam and Julia Ann Minehart. Adam Minehart came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, in 1802, he being at that time eighteen years of age. He entered a farm of eighty acres, which he cleared. The farm is now owned by Joseph Snider. Mr. Minehart occupied his time during winter teaching school. He studied and taught both the English and German branches,
in which he become very proficient. In 1816 he was married. In 1833 he removed to the farm now owned by his son, Absalom, which he had purchased some years before. Here he reared his family of seven children. He remained here during his lifetime, and died June 14, 1848; his wife survived him, living with .her son, Absalom, until his death, in February, 1871. Absalom received a good education, being competent to teach both the English and German languages. He is a farmer and ownes one hundred and sixty acres of fine land; in this business he is successful. He married Miss Catharine Wagey in 1854; she was born in Licking county June 10, 1832. They are the parents of three children---Adam, Jr., residing on the home farm; Michael, at home with his parents; and Angie Louisa, born October 22, 1873. The family are members of the Reform church. MITHOFF, GEORGE AUGUSTUS, retired, Lancaster. He was born in Hanover, Germany, October 1, 1813; the son of Hector and Ernestine (Rinehart) Mithoff. After receiving a fair education in his native country he came with his parents to America in 1828. The family first located in Pennsylvania, where, in company with his brother, he engaged in the mercantile business, until the removal of the family to Fairfield county, in 1840, settling in Lockville, where George Augustus kept store several years. Subsequently he entered the distilling business, and conducted it with great success, until his retirement from active business, about 1869. January 28, 1844, Mr. Mithoff married Cecelia, daughter of Captain Frederick Whittle, a veteran of Waterloo, who came to Fairfield county in 1830. Mrs. Mithoff was born in Germany, in 1825. They are the parents of eight children, seven now living, Louisa, now Mrs. Charles Creed, residing in Lancaster; Anna, the wife of Charles E. Martin, of Lancaster; Hector A., book-keeper at the Hocking Valley works; Thomas, cashier of the Hocking Valley National Bank; George, employed at the same place; Lewis and Augustus. In 1859 Mr. Mithoff became a resident of Lancaster, soon after purchasing several hundred acres of land, upon which is an elegant residence, where the family still reside. He was a prosperous and esteemed citizen, and for many years was president of the Hocking Valley Bank. MORTAL, A. B. & SON, dealers in groceries, provisions, stoves and tinware. East Rushville, Ohio. MUMAUGH, JOHN R., dealer in real estate, etc., Lancaster. He was born in this county, January 26, 1818; son of William and Sarah (Reese) Mumaugh. William Mumaugh was a native of the State of Maryland; born in 1795. He came with his father, Conrad Mumaugh, to Ohio in 1804, locating in Montgomery county, near Dayton. In 1808, the family removed to this county, settling in Hocking township, where Conrad Mumaugh died about 1831. William Mumaugh married in 1817, locating in Hocking township, where he lived until 1838, when he removed to Allen county, three miles east of Lima. He died there in 1875. John R., the eldest son of a family of eight sons and three daughters, of whom all but one daughter are living. After acquiring an education, John R. taught school for a brief period. In 1839, he came to Lancaster, opening an office, and engaging in collecting and general book- keeping; to this he added the real estate business; his services as
administrator, guardian, trustee and assignee, were in demand. Mr. Mumaugh was director and stockholder of the Lancaster Branch of the State Bank of Ohio, for fifteen years, until the institution was changed to the Hocking Valley National Bank, with which he was connected for three years. He disposed of his bank stock, and has since given his attention to real estate operations and milling, combined with the management of several farms which he owns, consisting of some four hundred acres in the vicinity of Lancaster. In December, 1841, he married Miss Hosannah, daughter of Frederick Shaeffer, a former well known resident of Lancaster. They are the parents of six children, four of whom are living: Sarah, Charles F., with his father, engaged in business; John S., a resident of San Francisco, California, by profession a lawyer, but at present turning his whole attention to stenography, or short-hand writing; and Mary Fannie, still at home. The family are members of St. John's Episcopal Church. Of this society Mr. Mumaugh is senior warden. He is also connected with the I. O. O. F. and Masonic order. He occupies an elegant residence on Main street. MURPHEY, WILLIAM, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Walnut township, July 12, 1818; only son of William, Sr. and Hester (Whitaker) Murphey. William, Sr., was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, in 1774. He came to Ohio in 1800, and explored what is now Fairfield county, while trapping and hunting. At this he saved enough money to enter three and one-fourth sections of land; now the family home. In 1803 or '4, he settled on the place and cleared it. At that time he built a log house, and afterward erected a brick. He raised a family of eight children---one son and five daughters are living. He was a prominent man, and a liberal supporter of all worthy and Christian objects. He died January 8, 1854. William Murphey, Jr., after completing his education, was married December 25, 1849, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Thomas Cherry, a farmer of Walnut township. Mrs. Murphey was born August 22, 1830. They are the parents of eight children: Albert, a merchant of Millersport; Kate, wife of J. T. Gill, of Walnut township; May, wife of A. W. Fry, of Salem, Ohio; Charles, Emma, Thomas, William and Frank, at home. Belinda, born December, 1870, died in her sixteenth year. Mr. Murphey had one residence destroyed by fire; he replaced it by a handsome home residence. He has three hundred and fifty acres of land, one hundred and ninety-eight acres taken by the State for reservoir. Mrs. M. is a member of the M. E. church. He is a member of the Masonic order. MUSSER, HENRY, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Walnut township, December 30, 1810; the eldest son of Ulrick and Elizabeth (Fry) Musser. Ulrick Musser was born in Berne, Switzerland, in 1790. He emigrated with his father, John Musser, to America, in 1803. The family Settled in Somerset, Pennsylvania, where they remained nine years, when John Musser removed with his family to Ohio, settling .in Walnut township in 1812. He entered a quarter section of land in the vicinity of Baltimore. He died in 1828. Ulrick Musser purchased a quarter section in 1818, which is still owned and occupied by his widow, now ninety years of age. He was a member of the Lutheran church. He served in the War of 1812. He died June 11, 1853, leaving
a family of seven children. Henry Musser was deprived of the advan- tages of an early education, but he has informed himself until he is a man of more than ordinary intelligence. Mr. Musser is one of the largest land owners in the county, owning one thousand one hundred acres, of which the home farm contains over seven hundred acres; this place is handsomely improved. In 1869, he erected a residence, costing $3,000. In politics he is a Republican. In 1860 he was married to Miss Ellen Lamb, a daughter of one of the pioneers of Walnut town- ship, where Mrs. Musser was born in 1828. They are the parents of two daughters: Viola, the wife of Dr. A. A. Thoman, of Baltimore; Etta is still at home. MUSSER, MRS. BARBARA, was born in Liberty township, April 16, 1826; she is the only daughter of Sebastian and Barbara (Goss) Leonard. She received a good education in the schools of her youth, and remained at home until her marriage to William Musser, in June, 1853. Mr. Musser was born in this county in 1826, and was a farmer and teacher until 1851, when he went to Basil, where he entered the service of Sebastian Lenord as a salesman, a position he filled until obliged to relinquish on account of ill health. He, with his wife, were active members of the Reformed church, and both good workers in the church and Sabbath school. Their two children, Emma and Willie, died in infancy. Mr. Musser died March 3, 1859. Since this time Mrs. Musser has lived a Christian's life, and is universally loved by all who know her.