HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "G"
GAFFORD, THOMAS J., farmer. Walnut township. He.was born in Baltimore, Ohio, March 24, 1844; the son of Joseph and Parthena Gafford. Joseph was born in Maryland in 1803. He came to Ohio with his relatives in 1813. He located in Lancaster and learned the trade of shoemaker. About 1824 he removed to Baltimore, Maryland, and kept grocery, also kept hotel, known as the Gafford House, for some thirty years. He was an owner of canal boats in an early day. He raised a family of seven children, three sons and one daughter survive. He continued hotel keeping until his death, in 1861. His widow still survives him and is a resident of Baltimore, and wife of John Lamb, who was educated in the common schools. T.J.'s youth was passed in assisting his father in various occupations, until September 1, 1861, when he enlisted in Company K Seventeenth O. V. I., taking part in all battles in which his regiment was engaged, including Wild Cat, Kentucky, to Savannah, Georgia. He served over four years, until the close of the War, taking part in the review at Washington, and was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, receiving his discharge at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, July, 1865. He was wounded in a raid, and disabled for some time. Returning to civil life he entered Duff's Commercial College, at Pittsburgh, for two terms, when he engaged in buying and shipping produce, at Keokuk, Iowa, where, with his brother. S. B. Gafford, he had removed in 1866. He returned to Ohio in 1869, and in March, 1870, was married to Miss Mary J., daughter of John and Mary (McNamee) Lamb. Mrs. Gafford was born in Walnut township, March 30, 1849. They are the parents of two children, one still survives, Mary May, born May 15, 1876. After marriage, in the spring303 of 1770, he settled on the Lamb place, since which time he purchased the same from W. M. Hutton, in 1878. It consists of one hundred and forty acres. They occupy the residence built by John Lamb in 1840. He is a prosperous citizen, industrious and energetic. GAISER, CHRISTAIN, of the firm of Gaiser & Meyer, carriage and buggy manufacturers, South Broadway, Lancaster, Ohio. Mr. Gaiser was born October 13, 1849, in Prussia; son of George and Elizabeth Gaiser. At the age of fourteen he went to his trade and worked at it until he was seventeen; then came to America, landing in New York City, and went from there to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where he remained about two years , then worked in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and other States. He located in this city in 1872, and worked for Sears & Mahony six years, when they sold out to the new firm of Bowser, Gaiser & Company, which continued until the fall of 1880, when the present firm was formed, which is now doing a first-class business in new work and repairing. Mr. Gaiser was married April 30, 1878, to Miss Catharine Klunk. They are the parents of one child, Catharine. GEIGER, HERBERT, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Walnut township, September 25, 1810; the son of David and Catharine (Wenegardner) Geiger. David Geiger was born in Virginia. He came with his father, Adam Geiger, to Ohio, in 1802 or '3. The family located on Pleasant Run, Pleasant township. After some two years, came to Walnut township, and entered a section of land near Pleasantville, where Adam Geiger spent the remainder of his days. David also lived here during his life. He raised a family of five children, of whom three sons and one daughter are living. He was a farmer and stock raiser, and kept hotel for many years; in religious belief, a Baptist. He died about 1825. Herbert G., after his mother's death, was raised on the farm of his grandfather, Winegardner, in Richland township. He was educated in the common schools. He remained on the place, and assisted his grandfather in farming and distillery, until 1847. At the age of twenty-five, he learned the tanner and currier trade, when, in 1847, he purchased the tannery business of an uncle in Rushville, which he conducted successfully for eight years. In 1847, Mr. Geiger married Sarah, daughter of William and Catharine Lamb, early settlers in Walnut township. Mrs. Geiger was born in Walnut township, December 28, 1821. After discontinuing the business of tanning, he purchased a farm in Rush Creek township, conducting the same, still continuing to reside in Rushville, until his removal to Walnut township, in 1860, on the place which he still owns, it being entered by his grandfather, Winegardner, when he came to Ohio. The family residence was built about 1869. Mr. Geiger now owns two hundred and forty-five acres. He lived there until removing to his present residence in Salem in 1873, where he is living a retired life. They are the parents of two children: Henry W., residing on the home place in Walnut township; and Catharine A., residing with her parents. The family are members of the Reform Church. He is a member of the Masonic order, also an active member of the Grangers. GIESY, JACOB, farmer. Liberty township. He was born in this town- ship, March 8th, 1813. He is the only son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Soliday) Giesy. Jacob Giesy, Sr., was born in Switzerland in 1783; emigrating304 to America in 1804; and in the spring of 1805, moved to Fairfield county; he being one of the early pioneers of the county. He settled in the midst of a wilderness, and lived to see it transformed into a flourishing and well developed country. His children consist of one son and eight daughters; six now living, all residents of this county. Mr. Giesy was a wheelwright by trade; and in 1820, built on Paw-Paw Creek, one of the first mills in the county, which is still standing. He died in 1841, leaving a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He had been a successful farmer, and possessed the esteem of his neighbors. His wife died in 1861. Jacob Giesy, Jr., remained on his father's farm during youth, receiving such educational advantages then attainable; and when old enough, took charge of his father's farm and sawmill. In 1843, he married Mary Fultz. They are the parents of eleven children, five of whom are now living. Of these, Elizabeth C., is the wife of Henry Schaffner, of Liberty township; Sarah A., wife of John Yager; George, a resident in the same township; Jesse A., and Charles are at home. Mrs. Giesy died in 1868. Mr. Giesy's second wife. Mrs. Louisa Giesy, was born May 21, 1831. Mr. Giesy has been very successful in business, and has accumulated a handsome competency. In addition to the home farm of one hundred and sixty acres, he owns another place of two hundred and sixty-two acres, fully improved. GODDEN, GEORGE H., carriage manufacturer. Liberty township. He is the only child of Robert and Louisa (Burnett) Godden. He was born at Newark, New Jersey, August 13, 1837. With his parents he came to Ohio, in 1839. The family settled at Circleville, where he was educated in the common schools. When eighteen, he became an apprentice, for three years, to a carriage manufacturer in that place, William Bouder. After acquiring the trade, he worked as journeyman, until the summer of 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Seventeenth Regiment, O. V. I., and with that regiment participated in all their engagements, from Stone River to the surrender of Joe Johnston, near Raleigh, North Carolina; at Resacca, Georgia, he was wounded in the foot and removed to the hospital, remaining there two months. He served until the war closed, taking part in the review at Washington, and with the regiment was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, and discharged at Camp Chase, Columbus. Returning to civil life, he located in Basil, Ohio. In the spring of 1866, he purchased the manu- facturing business of John Bowser. and has since conducted the same, doing an extensive business, employing five hands. In 1860 he was married to Mrs. Sarah A. Switzer. They are the parents of two sons and two daughters: Emma L.. Robert Henry, Lillie A., and Charles Freeman. The family are members of the Reformed Church. Mr. Godden is a member of the Knights of Pythias. GRAVETT, JOHN, florist and gardner, Lancaster. He was born in Sussex, England, September 12, 1826. At the age of fourteen he was apprenticed to a Scotch florist, and after acquiring a full knowledge of the business, he went to London, about 1847, where he entered the employ of a leading florist. At this place he was married to Ann Mallars, who was born in London, England, in 1825. In 1850 they came to America, settling in Lancaster, where Mr. Gravett entered the employ305 of the late Darius Talmadge, with whom he continued for three years, subsequently engaging in market gardening on his own account. In In 1855, he purchased a portion of the place, which he still owns. Some years later adding largely to it, and engaged in the nursery and floral business, which he conducted on an extensive scale. To Mr. and Mrs. Gravett have been born ten children, viz.: Ella, wife of Wiley W. Brown; John A., a graduate of Wooster College, now in charge of the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad office at Salt Lake City; Annie and Jennie, residents of Colorado Springs, Colorado; the former a clerk in the railroad office, the latter engaged in the millinery business. The remaining members of the family are still at home. Feeling the deficiency of an education, Mr. Gravett has been attending to the education of his own children, and takes great interest in educational matters. He was elected member of the school board of special district of East Lancaster, before it was included in the city limits, filling that position for nine years. In 1874, he was elected to the school board from the fifth ward; during two years he was president of the board, and for the past three years has been secretary; for six years he was director of the Fairfield County Agricultural Society. GRAYBILL, ISAAC, of Carroll, was born in 1827, on the farm now owned by Robert J. Peters. In 1848, he was married to Miss Maria L. Martin, daughter of the late and well known Judge Martin; and who was Justice of the Peace for twenty-five years, and for a long period of time, one of the Associate Judges of the county. Mr. Graybill's grand- father, Samuel Graybill, came from Pennsylvania to this county in 1809, and settled two miles west of Lancaster, on the Columbus pike, and where he kept hotel many years. He became the head of a large family, the descendants of whom are now well and favorably known throughout the county. His son, Jacob Graybill, died in 1861, seventy-four years old. He was the father of Isaac. Mrs. Graybill's father came prior to the war of 1812. His wife was Miss Francis Taylor, of New Jersey; and they made the overland trip in a little one-horse wagon, and settled on thirty-five acres of ground, one mile east of Carroll, where they lived and died. The house is still standing. Mr. Isaac Graybill is a farmer in prosperous circumstances. He resides in a handsome residence. GROVES, DAVID, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Licking county, June 18, 1821. He was the oldest son of Joseph and Mary (Stover) Groves. They were early settlers of Licking county. They raised to maturity, David and Samuel, now residents of Kansas. David was educated in the common schools. When he was but ten years old, he was thrown on his own resources by the death of his father. He was raised in the family of Thomas McNaghten, in Walnut township, till of age. He and his brother owned a place at Hebron, Licking county. He was there two years; while there, he was married in 1845, to Margaret Jane Patton. To them were born one son, James P. In 1847, Mrs. Groves died; and in September 2, 1851, he married Miss Jeretha, daughter of Jacob Kagay, an early settler on the place now owned by Levi W. Meredith, who was a pioneer, a member of the Baptist church, and raised a family of five children; three are living. He died about 1870. After marriage, Mr. Groves located on his present home, and306 in 1865, built his present residence. He owns one hundred and eleven acres. They are the parents of eight children, six now living: John S., Lewis M., Mary A., Theodore E., Laura E. and Barbara J. For some years he engaged in the tannery business. The family are members of the Baptist church. Jacob Kagay, the father of the second Mrs. Groves, was a soldier in the war of 1812; a native of Shenandoah county, Virginia; born about 1788, and came with the Bibler family to Ohio, about 1803. GUSEMAN, DANIEL, deceased. Daniel Guseman was a native of Virginia, and came to this county with his father when five years old. He located at Lancaster, and worked at blacksmithing there. He died in 1879. Mrs. Guseman's parents were natives of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Guseman became the parents of the following named children: Oliver H., Theodore, Johnson, Sarah, Abraham, Jackson, Mary, Thomas, Alexander, George and Fanny. Three reside in Pickaway county, and one in this township. Thomas is a blacksmith, and lives at home with his mother. Jackson and Abraham enlisted August, 1862, in Ninetieth O. V. I., and Jackson in 1864, in the One Hundred and Fifty-fifth O. V. I., and remained till the close of the war. Abraham lost his health in the war.307