HISTORY OF FAIRFIELD COUNTY
SURNAMES BEGINNING WITH "B"
BADER-FAMILY, THE. Nicholas Bader, a native of canton Basle, Switzerland, came to Fairfield county in 1804, by the way of the Hocking River. He spent the following winter in a settlement, in what is now Hocking township, and in the spring of 1805 came to Liberty,
where he became a permanent settler, on the farm now owned by Samuel Soliday, and his grandson, Frederick Bader. Nicholas Bader was among the early pioneers of the county. He cleared a large farm upon which he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring July 4, 1830. His burial place is on the farm, which, during his lifetime, was changed from a wilderness to cultivated fields. His oldest son, Samuel, lived on the home place until his later years, when he became a resident of Basil. During his life he was a prominent and influential citizen, filling the position of township trustee some eighteen years. He died March 10, 1872, leaving a family of six sons and five daughters, all now living. BADER, SOLOMON, born in in Liberty township, May 22, 1823. After acquiring an education in the rude log school house of that day, he was brought up a farmer, until becoming of age, when he devoted himself to the carpenter and joiner trade, subsequently conducting the business of builder and contractor successfully six years. He was married February 10, 1848, to Miss Susanah, daughter of Jacob Soliday, a well-known resident of Walnut township. They are the parents of one son and four daughters, Jesse, who resides on a portion of the home place; Anna Elizabeth, who is the wife of Frank Roley, of Basil; Mary Victorine, the wife of Theophilus Weaver, of Liberty township; Martha Ellen, and Emma Jane, who are still at home. Mr. Bader purchased, soon after his marriage, a portion of the three hundred and twenty-six acres, which he now owns, and which he settled upon and improved in a beautiful manner, with convenient and commodious buildings. He was township treasurer ten years, prior to 1877. Himself and family are members of the German Reformed Church. He is also a member of the Masonic order. During the past twenty years Mr. Bader has, in addition to his extensive farming, been dealing largely in buying and shipping grain, in which business he is still engaged. He has also devoted considerable attention to settling up estates, and other positions of trust. BAKER, MILTON, carpenter, Rushville; was born in Walnut township, Fairfield county, Ohio, November 28, 1815, and moved with his father to the village of Rushville in 1817. He was married April 10, 1843, to Hannah Thompson, Rev. James Anderson, Presbyterian minister of West Rushville, performing the ceremony. Their children are Mary, Edward, Sarah, Laura, William, Oscar, Jennie. Mr. Baker is Justice of the Peace of Richland township and Mayor of Rushville. BAKER, W. M., carpenter, undertaker and embalmer, Stoutsville; was born September 14, 1850; married June 4, 1874, to Miss Sarah Crites. Of this union one child was born, Pearl M., April 9, 1875. The subject of this sketch is at present engaged in undertaking, in the village of Stoutsville. He keeps constantly a full line of caskets, burial cases, etc. He is supplied with a fine hearse and is prepared at all times to perform all offices of respect to the dead. BAKER, J. W., grain and flour merchant, Stoutsville; was born December 6, 1854: married June 18, 1876, to Mary E. Neff. There were born of this union three children: Ollie Agnes, born July 7, 1877; George Wade, born June 23, 1879; Estella Dora, born November
27, 1880. The subject of this sketch is at present living in the village of Stoutsville. He is one of the proprietors of the steam mill and grain elevator. BAKER, A. L., Rushville, formerly of the firm of Kennedy and Baker, dealers in books, wall paper, etc., Main street, New Lexington, Ohio. Mr. Baker was born July 19, 1857, in Thorn township; son of Andrew S. and Eliza (Spenny) Baker. At eighteen years of age young Baker left the farm and entered the Fairfield Union Academy; he attended that institution until he was twenty-two, when he was appointed Deputy Sheriff of Perry county, and served two years. The firm, previously mentioned, was formed in 1880, and did a successful business. He sold his interest in the book store early in 1881, removing thence to Rushville, Fairfield county, where he now lives. BARKER, REV. D. G., deceased; born in Perry county, this State, in 1832; son of John and Nancy (Goodin ) Barker; grandson of John and Mary (Chamberlain) Barker; grandson of Samuel and ____ (Skinner) Goodin. Mr. Barker obtained his early education in the public schools of his county. At the age of twenty years he commenced teaching, following that profession some twenty years. About the year 1862 he was ordained as a minister of the Baptist Church and commenced preaching. Mr. Barker has had his charge principally in Perry, Hocking and Fairfield counties. He was married in 1853 to Miss Martha J. Dollison, daughter of James and Mahala Dollison. They have six children: Newton L., Sarah F., Thomas H., Charles E., Adilla F., George H. Newton is married and lives in this county. At the time of his death Mr. B. was in the ministry in the Baptist Church. BARR, THOMAS, of Amanda township, ex-commissioner of Fairfield county; was born February 12, 1812, and at this time is the oldest native born resident of Amanda township. His father, Thomas Barr, Sr., was a native of Chester county, Pennsylvania, a soldier in the War of 1812, and lived to the advanced age of ninety-two years, lacking four days. Came here about 1801 and settled in Dutch Hollow, on the farm now owned by Joel Meyers, where he was born. Thomas Barr began life without means, and his first hundred dollars, saved from his own hard earnings, was the most difficult to make. Since that time judicious, energetic, and honest management has earned for him several large valuable farms, in both Fairfield and Pickaway counties. He has lately built a fine residence on a small farm near Amanda, and retired from active business. Mr. Barr is a man who has always taken pride in doing everything well, and in every honorable enterprise in being foremost in well-doing. This spirit of true citizenship has warned for him reward, of which he may be proud. He has filled many and various positions in life and dip his work well. When but eighteen years of age, was chosen Lieutenant of the Light Infantry company, and two years afterwards its Captain, which position he held five years. He served his school district forty years out of forty-one years of time, as one of its directors. Under his supervision he made it one of the best in the county. He was eighteen years township treasurer, and held the position of County Commissioner six years. He has always been a marksman of unequalled abilities in the use of
open sights, and no rests in shooting long distances; has frequently won the prizes, where several center shots had been made by the competitor. The score made in his last shooting was in 1855, when out of practice several years. In this year, in a contest between Pickaway and Fairfield counties, for an ox, Mr. Barr made the following score, at forty rods off-hand, and with open sights: Seven shots measured five-eighths of an inch from the center; eight shots, one and one-fourth inches; nine shots, one and five-eighths inches. Measurements made by Isaac Bechtel and Andrew Ucker. These nine shots won the ox, although one of Mr. William Barr's competitors made five center shots. BARR, T. J., of Amanda township, was born in 1848. Received his education at the Fairfield Union Academy, and at the Miami Commercial College, Dayton, Ohio. When eighteen years old he began teaching, and since that time has done ten years satisfactory work in the school room. In 1875, was elected clerk of his township and reelected in 1881. In 1881 he was also elected director of his school district. In 1880 he was united in matrimony to Miss Nora B. Strode, and resides at the old Barr homestead. BAUMAN, CHARLES, butcher, Lancaster, Ohio; was born in Baden, Germany, June 9, 1848; his parents, Charles H. and Elizabeth (Betz) Bauman, emigrated with their family to America in 1855, coming direct to Lancaster, where Charles attended the public schools, receiving a moderate education. He remained at home until of age, learning the butcher trade, at which he was employed by various parties in Lancaster and Columbus until 1880. He then commenced business for himself in Lancaster, where he is quite successful. He was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Graf, December 15, 1876; four children have been born to them, three of whom are living, viz.: Emma Louisa, born in 1878; Albert, born August 1, 1879, and Charles Frederick, born December 23, 1881. Mr. Bauman and wife are members of the Lutheran Church; he is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. BECK, MRS. E. A., Lancaster, Ohio; the only daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Silhelm) Reimmund; was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, October 20, 1824. Joseph Reimmund was a native of Bavaria, Germany, and was born February 2, 1798; emigrated to America in 1818 and settled at Coopersburgh, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and engaged in the mercantile pursuits until coming to Lancaster, Fairfield county, Ohio, in 1840, where he at once commenced an extensive and successful mercantile business, which continued until about 1852, when he died. His widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Reimmund, is still living, now eighty years of age, vigorous in mind and body. Their only surviving child, Mrs. E. A. Beck, after receiving a liberal education at Morovian Seminary at Lebanon, Pennsylvania; came with her parents to Lancaster, Ohio, where, in 1842, she was united in marriage to Jacob F. Beck. Mr. Beck was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 4, 1817, and came to Lancaster with his parents in 1818, where his father, George Beck, was an early settler and prominent citizen. Jacob F. Beck was brought up to a mercantile vocation, at the time of his marriage he was of the firm of Myers & Beck, subsequently a member of the firm of Reinmund, Son & Beck, continuing to conduct a successful business until his death, which took place April 27, 1857. Mr. Beck was an exemplary
member of the English Lutheran Church, and an active worker in the Sunday-school, in which he had been a teacher for over twenty years. To Mr. and Mrs. Beck were born ten children, of whom eight are now living, five sons and three daughters. BECKER, E., brewer, of Lancaster, Ohio; born in Hanover, Germany, October 8, 1822. He was liberally educated in his native country. When fifteen years of age he commenced a mercantile experience with one house which continued for nine years. With his parents he left Germany for America, in November, 1846, arriving in this country in January, 1847. His father died soon after reaching New York City, and the following spring his mother and family came to Ohio, settling In Fairfield county. The subject of this sketch entered the employ of a merchant, at Lockville, with whom he remained one year. In 1848, he engaged as clerk with F. J. Boving, who was then conducting an extensive grocery trade in Lancaster. In 1850, Mr. Becker purchased the business, which in connection with a rectifying establishment, he successfully conducted until disposing of the same in 1856, following which or some three years, he was a resident of Wisconsin, returning to Lockville in 1839. He then became a member of the firm of Mithoff & Bro., in the distilling and mercantile business, discontinuing the former in 1866, and the mercantile branch, some three years later. In 1868, he commenced the brewery business under the firm name of Becker, Oches & Company, a firm which continued until 1877, when it became E. Becker & company. From small beginnings the firm has grown to an extensive concern, employing some twenty hands and has a capacity of ten thousand barrels of beer per annum. Mr. Becker was married in 1853; to Sophia Drossel; to them have been born five children, three now living, viz.: Agnes D., Harry E. and Oscar. Mr. Becker is a prosperous and influential citizen. BELT, MRS. ANGELINE, Walnut township; she was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, March 6, 1804; the youngest child of Aquilla and Rebecca Parrish. She came to Ohio in 1815, and was married in September, 1829, to Benjamin Belt, who came to Ohio about 1820. They raised a family of four children, all living. Mr. Belt died in November, 1863. Mrs. Belt came across the mountain in a wagon, a journey requiring two or three weeks. She is an intelligent old lady, and has been a member of the United Brethren Church for fifty-seven years. BEERY, ABRAHAM M., was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, April 25, 1836; in 1855, removed to Fairfield county, Ohio. Commenced as clerk in the dry goods store of Mrs. E. A. Beck, in 1858; was in her employ nine years, except six months in 1862, during which time he served in the Sixty-first Regiment, O. V. I., as Commissary Sergeant. Was present at the battle of Cedar Mountain and Bull Run No. 2; was discharged at Germantown on the 5th day of October, 1862, on account of physical disability. In 1867, commenced business (dry goods) under the firm name of Beery, Brown & Company, remained with the above firm for six years; sold his interest to P. Rising, and remained with him and his successor until February 1, 1882; formed a partnership, with S. H. Beck, W. W. Obaugh and B. F. Reinmund, under the firm name of Beery, Beck, Obaugh & Company, merchant
tailors. Mr. Beery was married to Miss Low Bury, June 16, 1867. They are the parents of three sons and one daughter. BERRY, HENRY, farmer, Walnut township; he was born in Walnut township, March 5, 1810; the second son of Edward and Catharine (Eakle) Berry. Edward Berry, a native of Maryland, came to Ohio with his wife and one son about 1807, settling the following year on the place now owned by his son, Henry. His first building consisted of a log cabin, afterward replaced by a neat hewed log house, about 1825, which is still a portion of the farm residence. He being a pioneer necessitated the clearing off of the place. He raised a family of twelve children, four. survive: Henry Edward, a well-known resident of Walnut township; Catharine, wife of Dr. J. D. Nourse, of Lancaster; Eliza Jane, wife of Henry Jewett, of Reynoldsburgh, Ohio. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for twenty-five years. A prosperous and successful farmer. He died about June, 1850; his widow survived him three years. Henry Berry was educated in the common schools, and engaged in farming, and clearing a new place. In 1845, he married Miss Mary, daughter of David Rank, an early settler in Walnut township; she was born in Fairfield county, March 2, 1822. After marriage Mr. Berry engaged in farming and stock raising. Mr. and Mrs. Berry are the parents of three children: Theodore E., on the home place; Honora C., wife of L. G. Smith, of New Salem; Sarah E., wife of F. C. Linville, of Salem. Mr. Berry was township treasurer one term. The family are members of the Methodist Protestant Church; he is a member of the Grange. Theodore E. married about 1865 to Samantha, daughter of D. F. Linville, of New Salem; they are the parents of three sons and one daughter. Theodore E. owns one hundred and thirty acres of land. He is a pleasant, genial gentleman, and a substantial citizen. David Rank settled in Walnut township, on the farm now owned by James Belt. About 1808, he cleared one-fourth section of land and lived there until 1861. He raised a family of ten children, eight now living. David Rank died in New Salem about 1867. BERRY, EDWARD, farmer, Walnut township; the son of Edward and Catharine Berry; was born in Walnut township, May 15, 1814. He enjoyed a common school education, and engaged in farming at home until his marriage. November, 1839, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Mary Yontz. He resided on the home place one year after marriage, and another place in the same township three years. In the spring of 1844, he settled on the place where he now resides, it was then partially improved; they are now the parents of eight children, seven living: Almeda J., wife of Hiram Sperry, of Walnut township; Emmett C. a resident of Whitley county, Indiana; Arybell Samantha, wife of Geo. Koontz, of Pleasantville; Elizabeth Clementine, wife of Henry W. Geiger, of Walnut township; Henry C., assisting on the home farm; Homer C. and Lomera T. at home. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a successful and prosperous citizen. BERRY, ELIJAH, farmer, Walnut township; was born in Walnut township; July 27, 1821, the only son of Elijah and Nancy (Mock) Berry. Elijah Berry, Sr., was born in Virginia. When he married, he came to Ohio with his wife and two children, in 1806 or 1808. He
served in the war of 1812. From Walnut township, he settled on the place now owned by Frank Foster. He resided there some ten or twelve years, then removed to Richland township. He resided in Seneca county four years, and then returned to Fairfield county, in 1837, settling on the place now owned by his son. He cleared the farm, and raised a family of nine children---four sons and two daughters are living. He died about 1850, his widow surviving him some five or six years. Elijah, after acquiring a fair education, turned his attention to farming. He married, in February, 1841, Miss Almira Culp, daughter of Jacob and Mary Culp. They settled in Walnut township. To their marriage have been born seven children, of whom four are living: Louisa, wife of Samuel M. B. Miller, a resident of Walnut township; Margaret, widow of David Trovinger, a resident of Walnut township; Marion, a resident of Thorn township. Perry county; Rebecca Jane, married, and is now a resident of Delaware, Ohio. Mrs. Berry died about 1851. Mr. Berry resided in Richland and Pleasant townships some six years, subsequently removing to the home place in Walnut township. After the death of his father, he took charge of the home place. He married again in 1852, to Victorine Manson. They have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for a number of years. They occupy a residence built by his father about 1837, which they have modernized somewhat. BIBLER, SAMUEL, farmer, Walnut township; was born in Liberty township, Fairfield county, February 11, 1811, the oldest son of John and Eleanor (Wilson) Bibler. John Bibler was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, April 16, 1782. He came to Ohio in 1803 or 1804. He married in Liberty township in 1807, and settled on the farm in that township, where he spent the remainder of his days. The place is now owned by his son, Jonas Bibler, who was a pioneer, and purchased eighty acres, making himself a home. He raised a family of five sons and three daughters, three sons and two daughters now living. He was a successful farmer; a member of the Baptist Church for forty-six years. He died February 11, 1854. Samuel received a fine education, and until his marriage remained at home on the farm. He married Miss Eliza Humes, in 1835. She was born in Orange county, Virginia, in 1807. In the spring of 1836, he settled on the place in Walnut township, where he now lives. He now owns one hundred and four acres, which he has improved and since resided upon. Mr. and Mrs. Bibler are the parents of four children, viz.: Sarah, now the wife of John Miller, residing on the home place; John died in 1855, in his twelfth year; Abraham, born October 10, 1840, was educated in the common schools, is a farmer by occupation. He was drafted in the Rebellion, but sent a substitute. He was married October 10, 1861, to Miss Barbara J. Warner. They are the parents of four sons and four daughters. Jane, the wife of John Sands, died November 28, 1864. Mrs. Bibler died November 2, 1880. Mr. Bibler never cared for office; was an industrious, energetic man, beloved by all who knew him, and a self-made man. BIBLER, LEWIS, farmer, Liberty township; was born December 25, 1834, the youngest son of Jacob and Susannah (Herely) Bibler. Jacob Bibler was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, about 1789, and came with his father, Francis Bibler, to Ohio in 1805. They settled on a farm
on the site of Basil, and cleared a large tract adjoining it. Jacob located on the place now owned by his son Lewis, about 1820. He here erected one of the first frame houses in this vicinity. Of his seven children, only two survive---Jacob A., a resident of Jay county, Indiana, and Lewis, the subject of this sketch. Jacob was a successful farmer and stock raiser; he was a life-long member of the Baptist Church, and died June 9, 1877. His wife died March 11, 1863. Lewis was reared on the farm. He was married October 23, 1862, to Martha J., daughter of Asa and Rebecca Shreve, early settlers of Liberty township. Mrs. Bibler was born here July 2, 1840. Four of their five children survive, Lizzie J., Jacob A., Charles Wesley and Henrietta. Mrs. B. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. BIGOMEY, JOSEPH, farmer; was born in Licking county, Ohio, August 19, 1845, a son of Francis W. and Henrietta (Fritz) Bigomey. Francis W. Bigomey was a native of Pennsylvania. He came to Ohio in 1838, and located in Licking county, where he resided for a number of years. He then removed to Fairfield county, where he resided until 1851, at which time he purchased the farm known as the Fritz farm. Here he spent the remainder of his life. He reared a family of ten children, nine of whom are living. In 1855 he was elected to a seat in the Legislature, and again in 1857. He died in 1877, respected and regretted by all who knew him. His widow still survives him, being in good health. She still resides on the old home farm. Joseph acquired a good education in his youth, and took great interest in his vocation, that of farming. In 1867 he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah Caroline, daughter of John Bury, a prominent citizen of Liberty township. After his marriage, Mr. Bigomey resided on the Bury home farm for one year, when he purchased the farm, where he now lives. It contains one hundred acres, to which he has added many a valuable improvement, among them an elegant residence. Mr. and Mrs. Bigomey are the parents of five children: John Francis, Joseph Henry, Hiram Franklin, Warren Ellsworth, and Winfield Scott. The family are members of the Reform Church. BININGER, EDWARD H., merchant, Lancaster; was born in Lancaster January 4, 1861, the youngest son of Wolfgang and Magdalena (Binder) Bininger. Edward H. acquired a fair education in the Catholic Parochial school of Lancaster, after which he entered the employ of a baker, at Newport, Kentucky, where he remained six months. Returning to Lancaster, he engaged as a clerk with Jacob Keller, continuing with his successor, F. Myers. Upon the death of the latter, in 1874, the business was purchased by Mr. Bininger, and under his management has grown extensively. In 1876, he added to the grocery trade a stock of Queensware, and later, a dry goods and notion department, and is now doing a trade that aggregates some thirty thousand dollars per annum. He is centrally located, on Columbus street. Besides owning his business block, he also owns a farm of one hundred acres, in Berne township. He was united in marriage, in 1876, to Miss Clara McManamy. They are the parents of one son, James W., born December 15, 1877. BISHOP, JOHN W., farmer, P. O., Etna; a native of Virginia; born March 4, 1817, oldest son of Samuel and Nancy Bishop. His
opportunities for an education were limited. When he could be spared to attend school, he had a walk of three miles to reach the nearest one, nearly the entire walk extending over a mountain. In 1828 he came with his parents to Ohio, settling in Guernsey county. He lived at the home of his grandfather, John Summer, until the death of the latter, in 1837. He then owned and conducted a threshing machine, working in various counties, coining to Fairfield county in 1840, where he still continued the same business, January 12, 1843, he was united in marriage to Miss Eleanor Buskirk, who was born in Liberty township, September 24, 1822, her father, John Buskirk, being one of the pioneers of the township, settling there in 1802. After marriage, Mr. Bishop settled on the Buskirk home farm, where he lived until 1849, when he purchased the farm where he still resides. It contains two hundred and ten acres, much of the land having been cleared up by Mr. Bishop during his residence there. The farm is considered one of the best, and contains all the comforts and conveniences needed to make an attractive and pleasant home. He is politically a Republican; also, a member of the Reform Church. To them have been born nine children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Sarah Caroline, wife of Jacob Weaver; Samuel, residing on a portion of the home farm; E. Livina, is the wife of Samuel Wilkin; of Licking county; Daniel, at home; Lucinda, wife of B. Moreland, also of Licking county; Emeline and Willie are still at home. BOPE, PHILIP, commercial traveler, Lancaster, the son of Abraham and Mary Sybilla (Miller) Bope, who were among the pioneers of the Hocking Valley. Philip was born in Pleasant township March 1, 1810. His father was a native of Rockingham county, Virginia, born about 1763, and was active in the closing scenes of the Revolution, being present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. In 1809 he came with his wife and six children to Ohio, purchasing a half section of land in Pleasant township, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was a celebrated hunter in his day, and had some narrow escapes from wild animals during the early settlement of this country. His family consisted of seven children, of whom but three survive. He died in 1826. Philip, the youngest child, attended school in the rude log school house of that day, his early youth being passed on the farm. In 1826 he commenced an apprenticeship at the carpenter and cabinet making trade, which, after acquiring, he followed for a brief period. He removed to Lancaster in 1829, entering the employ of Levering & Cassatt, as clerk. In 1832, he removed to Winchester, Adams county, where he did a successful mercantile business for seven years. Returning to Lancaster in 1839, he opened the first hardware store there, which he conducted till 1854, subsequently engaging in the dry goods trade, in connection with Dr. Edson B. Olds, in which he was engaged until he entered the army in the capacity of sutler, in 1862. He was appointed Government Inspector in 1864. Since the close of the war he has been engaged as commercial traveler for various mercantile houses, at present traveling for the firm of French, Hanna & Company, extensive woolen manufacturers, of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Mr. Bope was married August 23, 1831, to Eliza, daughter of Adam Weaver, a prominent citizen of Fairfield county, who had been a Lieutenant in the war
of 1812, Sheriff for one or more terms, and Justice of the Peace for many years. Mr. Bope was born in Lancaster June 11,1815. Twelve children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Bope, eight of whom are living, viz.: James A., an attorney; Philip U., Sarah E., wife of A. R. Belden, of Findlay, Ohio; Thomas Corwin, Charles A.. a merchant, of Mt. Vernon. Ohio; Clara A., now Mrs. W. H. Wolfe, of Lancaster; Ella L., and Harry P., of Pittsburgh. Mr. Bope and family are members of the Episcopal Church. He also belongs to the Masonic Order, and is one of the oldest living members of the I. 0. 0. F. in the State of Ohio. BORLAND, CHARLES W., County Surveyor, Lancaster. He was born in Lancaster, April 10, 1840; is a son of Charles and Cynthia (Hart) Borland. Until he attained the age of sixteen he attended the common schools, when he entered the Commercial College at Columbus. He was connected with the original survey of the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad; also with preliminary survey and construction of the Alliance and Lake Erie Railroad for three years. January 1, 1876, he was appointed Surveyor of Fairfield county to fill a vacancy. Upon the expiration of the term he was elected to the same position, an office that he still holds. Mr. Borland, in April, 1861, enlisted in Company A, First O. V. I., under Captain Joseph Stafford. With the regiment he participated in the first battle of Bull Run. At the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted in the Eighteenth United States Infantry, and was afterwards transferred to the Eighty-ninth O. V. I., where he was Aid-de-Camp to General Hugh Ewing, until prostrated with sickness. He was finally obliged to resign his commission in the fall of 1864, after spending some time in a convalescent camp. Mr. Borland was married in 1872, to Miss Cora, daughter of James and Mary Elder, of New Lexington, to whom were born six children, four of whom are now living: Sallie G.; Herman; Hart J., and Mary Anna. BORN, FREDERICK, (retired), post office, Baltimore, Liberty township; was born in Berne, Switzerland, March 21, 1813. His parents were John and Elizabeth Born. Fredrick received a fair education in the public schools, and when fourteen years of age commenced an apprenticeship of two years at the carpenter trade. He then worked as journeyman until coming to America in 1834. Removing to Ohio in 1835, he spent the first year in Cleveland and Canton. In the fall of 1836 he came to Fairfield county, settling in Liberty township, where he worked at his trade until purchasing a farm. In connection with farming he conducted a saw-mill until the spring of 1877, when he removed to Baltimore, where he has since resided. In 1837 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Rickley. To them were born four children: Elizabeth, who married John Walker, she died March, 1880; Frederick, Jr., a member of the Seventh O. V. I., who served during the war, and died on his way home in 1865; Caroline, wife of Levi White, of Indiana: Mary, wife of Joseph Walker, of Columbus; Mrs. Elizabeth Born died in 1853, and he was married May 17, 1854 to Miss Susannah Ruby, daughter of Jacob Ruby, a well-known resident of Liberty township. To them have been born four children: Sarah A.; John Wesley; Emma Matilda, and George M., all yet at home. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Born is a member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is an esteemed citizen of his township. BOVING, JOHN FRANCIS, of Lancaster, was born in Bremen, Germany, January 13, 1805; his parents were Peter and Ann Boving. after receiving a fair education in his native city, he was in the employ of a mercantile house until coming to America in 1827. He first located in Baltimore, Maryland, where he remained some three years. In 1830 he came to Royalton, Ohio; there he engaged in mercantile business, conducting the same successfully some years. In 1832 he married Catharine Scott, who was born in Fairfield county in 1812. Mr. Boving purchased a farm in Amanda township in 1834., where he resided for five years. Removing to Lancaster in 1830, he became a member of the firm of Boving & Greene, an extensive wholesale grocery house. A specialty of their firm was the buying and shipping of large quantities of tobacco, at that time a production of importance in Fairfield county. Mr. Boving continued in this trade until 1848, following which he led a retired life for twelve years. In 1860 he began a successful hardware business, which continued six years. In 1865 he turned his attention to the cultivation of fruit and the management of a vineyard, in which he has been quite successful. He has, in later years, interested himself in building associations, having been the founder of three, two of which are in a flourishing condition. For two terms he was a member of the city council. He is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church, and a prosperous and esteemed citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Boving are the parents of three children, of whom but one survives, viz.: Louisa. BOYD, REV., J. R., minister, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio; the oldest son of William and Nancy (Bainford) Boyd; the former a native of Ireland, emigrating to America in 1820, settling in Guernsey County, where he died in 1863. Rev. J. R. Boyd was reared on a farm. In his nineteenth year he entered Muskingum College, at New Concord, where he remained three years, subsequently attending Franklin College at New Athens, Ohio, for one year, graduating from that institution in 1859. He then entered the Theological Seminary of the United Presbyterian Church, at Allegheny, Pennsylvania, remaining four years, during which time, in the spring of 1862, he was licensed to preach, and officiated in various churches in the vicinity of the seminary. In 1863 he was settled at Norwich, Muskingum county. Ohio, for a period of four years, and at Wilmington for two years. In 1869 Mr. Boyd changed his connection from the United Presbyterian to the Presbyterian Church. He was then placed in charge of the church at Liberty, Indiana, where he remained until the spring of 1872, when he removed to Lancaster, where he has since labored successfully. The membership of the church has more than doubled during that time. Mr. Boyd was married in 1861 to Miss Martha J. McGonagle. Two sons and one daughter have been born to them: William W., now student at Marietta College; James C., and Aggie W. BRANDON, JOHN, farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, June 5, 1810; the son of Elezor and Jane (McCormick) Brandon. Elezor Brandon was a native of Adams county, Pennsylvania, and came with his wife and four children to Ohio in
1821, settling in Perry county in 1822, and remaining there about ten years. He raised a family of five children; John and Robert are residents of Peru, Indiana. Mr. Brandon, Sr., died November 6, 1835. John Brandon came to Ohio with his parents in 1821; he was educated in the common schools of Perry county; he took charge of the home farm, and took care of his parents. In 1835 he married Miss Mary Haver, who died February 28, 1844. Mr. Brandon was married the second time, December 31, 1844, to Mary, daughter of Judge Gideon Martin, a former well-known resident of Greenfield township. Mrs. Brandon was born in Greenfield township, February 16, 1819. They are the parents of four children, three living: Almeda, wife of William H. Watson, of Walnut township; G. M., who resides with his parents, assisting in the management of the home place; Ola, now Mrs. Dr. H. C Brison, of Millersport. After his first marriage Mr. Brandon lived in Perry county one year. In 1837 he settled on the place where he has since resided, then but partially cleared. The family occupied a log house until building a new residence in 1861. He purchased eighty- four acres and now owns one hundred and sixty acres, which is considered one of the finest farms in the township. He never desired public office; a successful farmer and stock raiser, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also of the Masonic Order. Mr. Brandon is a genial, hospitable gentleman, esteemed and respected. BRASEE, MRS. MARY JANE, born in Lancaster, Ohio, August 28, 1808; the eldest daughter of Judge Elnathan Scofield. Judge Scofield was a native of New York. He came with Colonel Zane, the founder of Zanesville, to Ohio, at an early day engaged in mercantile pursuits in Lancaster, and subsequently rose to distinction, taking an active part in military affairs in the War of 1812. He occupied the position of Post Master at Lancaster for many years, and was afterward member of the Legislature. In later years he was a distinguished jurist. His eldest daughter, the subject of this sketch, was educated at a private seminary at Lancaster, and was united in marriage, November 17, 1829, to John T. Brasee. To this marriage were born seven children, of whom four survive. Mrs. Brasee is a genial and intellectual lady. THE FOLLOWING TEXT ORIGINALLY APPEARED IN THE ERRATA SECTION, PAGE 392 BRIGHT, ENOCH, farmer and stock raiser. Liberty township; is the oldest son of John and Elizabeth (Myers) Bright. John Bright, Sr., were born in Berke county, Pennsylvania, about 1787. He first visited Ohio in 1808, where, with his father he made extensive purchases of land in Liberty township, becoming a permanent settler on the same sometime between 1808 and 1812. During the war of 1812 he sent a substitute to represent him in the field. In 1832 he built what is known as Bright's mills, which were at that time considered among the first flouring mills in Central Ohio. It contained three run of burrs and was conducted by Mr. Bright and his sons during his life time, and is still in active operation. Mr. Bright, Sr., was a liberal supporter of all Christian and benevolent enterprises, an active and exemplary member of the Evangelical Association, a denomination whose camp meetings were held on his premises for many years, and those who attended those annual gatherings always found his house and grounds ready to receive them "without money and without price." A brick church was erected on a lot of land donated by him to the Evangelical Association in 1842. In 1870 this was replaced by a handsome, modern structure. Mr. Bright was a pioneer and a prominent man in his day, owning at one time seventeen hundred acres of land in the immediate vicinity of his home. He was three times married, and raised a family of seven children, five of whom are now living, all prominent residents of Liberty township. His death took place September 12, 1853; his widow still survives him. Enoch Bright, his oldest son, was born in Liberty township, Fairfield county, January 3, 1830, where, after acquiring a fair education, engaged in milling and farming until he was married, July 25, 1852, to Miss Louisa Yager, and immediately settled upon the farm, where he still resides, having, during these years, changed it from a comparatively unimproved place to one of the best improved and most productive farms in the township. To Mr. and Mrs. Bright were born eleven children, of whom eight are living. Their eldest daughter Mahala, is the wife of David Alt, of Baltimore, Ohio. Their eldest son, T. G. Bright, is also married and resides on a portion of the home place. Three daughters and three sons are still at home. Mr. Bright and his family are members of the Evangelical Association. He is a genial and hospital gentleman, a substantial and esteemed citizen. BRIGHT, SAMUEL R., farmer, Walnut township; the son of David and Leah (Arnold) Bright. He was born in Greenfield township, October 7, 1837. David Bright was born in Greenfield township, December 9, 1812; the son of David, Sr., who settled on the place in Greenfield township, still the home of his son, David. David, Sr., entered a section of land there. His death occurred about 1824. The six hundred and forty acres are still owned by his sons, John and David. .David, Sr., engaged extensively in distilling, leaving the clearing of the place and farming to his sons, David and John. In the War of 1812, he sent a substitute. David, Jr., was married and lived on a part of the home place; he raised a family of five sons and two daughters, all living, and residents of Fairfield county, with but one exception. Mr. Bright has been township treasurer some eighteen years; also township trustee; infirmary director for three years. He is a member of the English Lutheran Church. He is still living, vigorous in mind and body. In late years an ardent Republican. Samuel R., after receiving a common school education in Greenfield township, took charge of the home
place in that township. February 25, 1858, he married Miss Rebecca, daughter of Samuel Fisher, a farmer and well known resident of Greenfield township. Mrs. Bright was born in Greenfield township, January 11, 1837. In the spring of 1858, they moved to Walnut township, and purchased what is known as the Anthony Morton farm. He occupied the Morton house until building his present residence in 1871, and is still using the log barn built by Mr. Morton in 1828. Mr. Bright owns one hundred and sixty acres. Mr. Spangler owns the rest of the Morton place, originally three hundred and thirty-six acres. Mr. Bright is successful and prosperous farmer and stock raiser. They are the parents of eleven children, of whom seven are living, viz.: Samantha E., Ida A., Minnie M., Homer G., Stellethe B., Genevieve M., and Eulalie. The family are members of the M. E. church. He is a substantial citizen, and has an estimable wife. BRIGHT, JOHN, farmer, was born in Liberty township, Fairfield county, Ohio, December 8, 1832; the youngest son of John and Elizabeth Bright. John, Jr., after receiving an ordinary common school education spent his youth in farming pursuits, varied somewhat by assisting in the flour and saw mill, so long conducted by his father. Upon the death of the latter in 1853, he became owner of the home farm, a well improved and productive place, consisting of over two hundred acres, upon which is a handsome and commodious family residence, and farm buildings of a superior character. Mr. Bright is a successful farmer and prominent citizen. He is a member of the Evangelical Association Church, also of the Republican party. In 1864 he served some four months in the One Hundred and Sixtieth O. V. I. July 24, 1853, he was married to Mrs. Harriet Studer. To them were born two daughters: Sula, now the wife of John Carns of Greenfield township, and Laura, now Mrs. O. J. Weist, residing on a place adjoining her parents home. BROCK, DR. M. D., physician, Columbus, Ohio. He was born in Belmont county, March 12, 1814; the son of Jesse and Mary (Adams) Brock. He was educated in the common schools until nineteen years of age. He entered the office of Dr. Alexander, in Flushing, where he remained one year. He then remained for two years in the office of Dr. Stone of Perry county. In 1836, he began the practice of his profession in New Salem. He continued his practice here twenty-four years. In 1846, he graduated from Hudson Medical College. His practice at New Salem was very extensive and lucrative, extending over the surrounding county. He has assisted at the birth of one thousand two hundred and fifty children, without the loss of a child. While in New Salem, he organized the first Masonic lodge in that place, and was its worshipful master for twenty years. In 1860 he moved to Reynolds- burg, Franklin county, where he practiced sixteen years, doing a large practice. In 1876 he returned to Columbus and purchased property. where he still resides and is doing an extensive practice. He has assisted, since coming here, in the birth of one thousand nine hundred and fourteen children. Mr. Brock was married in 1836, to Miss Catharine, daughter of John and Catharine Castle. They are the parents of four daughters and one son; the latter died in infancy; also one daughter; three are still living: Emily V., wife of A. C. Doney, resident of Franklin
county, Ohio; Clemintine, wife of J. C. Watson of Columbus; Viola, wife of J. C. Grubbs, of Lancaster. Dr. Brock has been a member of the M. E. church since 1836. BROWN, H. A., M. D., of Carroll, was born in Perry county, March 13, 1854; became a medical student of Dr. Kinsman of Columbus, and subsequently graduated in the Starling Medical College, taking his degree of M.D. in the year 1875. Dr. Brown first practiced his profession in Sugar Grove, his native town; but after a stay here of nine months, removed to Carroll, where he is at present engaged in a good practice. In December, 1875, he became united in matrimony to Miss Emma E. D. Ackers, daughter of the late Ephraim Ackers, oldest Auditor of the county. His father, Robert H. Brown, M. D., was born in Perry county, in 1820; and although of a long lived people, died in the vigor and prime of life, in the year 1860. He had a large, lucrative practice, and was overworked; he was also a man of some political prominence, and frequently stumped the county with such men as Dr. Edison B. Olds. BRUMFIELD, MRS. RACHEL P., of Lancaster, was born in Manchester, Maryland, August 25, 1803, and is a daughter of Samuel and Mary Peters. She came with her parents to Ohio, in 1812. They settled in the vicinity of Rushville, Fairfield county, remaining there about five years, when they removed to Clear Creek Tp. She remained with her parents until her marriage, January 26, 1824, to William Brumfield, who was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, in March, 1792. He came to Ohio in 1817. Mr. and Mrs. Brumfield were the parents of ten children, eight now living. Two sons and two daughters are married; four are still at home. Mr. Brumfield purchased the Joseph Hunter place, upon which he spent the remainder of his days. He was a successful farmer, an exemplary citizen, and an honest man; he died August 29, 1873. Mrs. Brumfield lived on the family homestead until 1877, when she purchased a handsome dwelling on Chestnut street, Lancaster, where she has since resided. She has been a member of the M.E. Church many years, and is a vigorous and intellectual lady, bearing lightly the seventy-nine winters that have passed over her head. BURY, JOHN, farmer, Liberty township; was born in Philadelphia, March 11th, 1811. Only son of John S. and Mary Ann (Glosser) Bury, who came to America from Switzerland in 1806, settling in Philadelphia, where they lived for twelve years. In 1818, with their family of two children, they moved to Ohio, locating in Pleasant township for one year. In the spring of 1819 they settled on the farm now owned by John, Jr. The improvements were limited, consisting of a small log house and one acre of ground cleared. Mr. Bury went to work in earnest, chopping down trees and clearing away under brush. Upon this clearing corn was raised, it being the principal food of the pioneer. Mr. Bury built a large, fine log house in 1829, and built the first frame barn in the township. He was very successful in all his efforts, and lived to enjoy the results of his industry and energy, raising his two children to man and womanhood. Mary, his daughter, married Sebastian Goss; she died in 1837. Mr. Bury was an honored member of the Reformed Church. He died in 1861. After the death of his father, John took charge of the farm, having obtained a fair education.
In 1833 he married Miss Hannah Zerkle, raising a family of nine children, of whom six survive, viz.: Catharine, a widow; Elizabeth, now the wife of Jacob Wildershatt, of Baltimore, O.; Julia Ann, the wife of John Loose, of Seneca county, O.; Joseph H., a well known resident of Liberty township, residing on the farm formerly owned by his grand- father; Hannah Caroline, the wife of Joseph Bigomey, also of Liberty township; and Jacob Benjamin, who is the owner of one hundred and twenty acres, and has charge of the home place. Before disposing of the farms to his sons, Mr. Bury owned four hundred and ten acres, and still owns over two hundred acres, also the fine residence, making a very pleasant home. In politics he is a Democrat, and has filled some of the minor offices in his township---that of township trustee for a period of nine years. He has been a member of the Reform Church for fifty- five years. Being a genial and hospitable gentleman, he was held in the highest esteem by his friends and neighbors. Mrs. Bury died March 8th, 1864. BURY, JOSEPH H., was born in Liberty township, Fairfield county, November 3d, 1834; son of John and Hannah Bury. Joseph attended the public schools and acquired a good education. He remained at home until his marriage to Miss Samantha J. Winter, April 18th, 1875. They are the parents of four children, three of whom---Jennetta A., Nellie H. and Ida Ellen---are living. BUSH, MRS. PHOEBE, Lancaster, Ohio, was born in Fairfield county, November 27th, 1834; daughter of Andrew and Rachel Foust. Andrew Foust has filled various public positions in Fairfield county for some twenty years. He was Justice of the Peace, a member of the General Assembly for one or two terms, also represented his district in the State Senate. Himself and family are residents of Pickaway county. His daughter Phoebe, after receiving a fair common school education, was united in marriage September 23, 1851, to George Mayes, a native of Pickaway county, who was born in 1828. To them have been born two sons and two daughters, of whom the following survive: Franklin E., a resident of Lancaster; Mary Emma, wife of Theodore Mithoff, Jr., of Columbus; Georgie Ella, wife of Rev. Scott F. Hershey of Lancaster. Mr. Mayes died November 11th, 1862. Mrs. Mayes was again married December 11th, 1866, to William Bush, who was born in Fairfield county about 1827. Mr. Bush was a tailor by trade, and at the time of his marriage was in the employ of Philip Rising, with whom he remained some nine years. He was then elected Sheriff of that county in 1873, and two years later he was re-elected. He was an active and influential citizen, and prior to his election as Sheriff had filled the position of Coroner of the county for one or more terms. He was a consistent member of the M. E. Church, also the I. 0. 0. F. and Knights of Honor. He died July 18th, 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Bush were the parents of four children, three daughters and one son: Clara, Sarah Mabel, Charles W. and Ada Dilley. BUSH, WILLIAM P., farmer, Walnut township. He was born in Walnut township April 19, 1847, the oldest son of Samuel Graybill and Matilda (McNamee) Bush. He received a common school education, also attended a select school, taught by Joseph Freeman; he then attended the Union Academy, at Pleasantville, receiving a liberal
education, fitting himself for teaching. His youth was passed in assisting his father in buying and shipping live stock, jointly with farming, until his marriage, March 30, 1869, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Hite. To them have been born six children, of whom three daughters and two sons are living. After marriage he conducted the home farm two years. In 1871 he removed to Douglass county, Illinois, and lived there one year, returning to Fairfield county, where he resided in Pleasant township two years, engaging in farming. In the spring of 1875 he returned to Walnut township and engaged in farming, on the home place, till his wife's death, in January, 1878. He was married the second time to Miss Almeda J. Copstine, October 2, 1878, who was born in Spencerville, Allen county, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Bush are the parents of one son and one daughter, Herbert C., born January 10th, 1880, and Blanch Lucretia, September 7, 1882. After marriage he continued to reside on the home farm. In 1880 he purchased a portion of the Swope farm, including the home farm, owning in all one hundred and fifty-three acres. BUSH, GEORGE W., farmer. Walnut township. He was born in Walnut township, June 21, 1848; the son of Samuel Graybill and Matilda (McNamee) Bush. S. G. Bush was born in Greenfield township, April 11, 1826. His father, William, was a pioneer of the county. He engaged largely in mercantile business. George W. married Miss Josephine, daughter of Jacob Soliday, April 26, 1871. Mrs. Bush was born in Walnut township July 30, 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Bush are the parents of six children, Mollie M., Clara V., Emma May, Bessie, Ida J. and a son born October 8, 1882, to whom a name is not yet given. Samuel G. Bush, early in life, engaged largely in buying and shipping live stock. He settled on the farm,, formerly the McNamee homestead. He married Matilda, daughter of J. McNamee, who was born October 6, 1823. He continued to farm in connection with buying and shipping live stock. He owned a farm of four hundred and fifty acres; his heirs own four hundred and twenty-five acres in Walnut township. He also engaged in making brick, and conducted two steam saw mills. Subsequent to 1843 he filled the position of Justice of the Peace for sixteen years. He also conducted a general store on the home place for some fifteen years, doing an extensive business, employing some four or five salesmen. He was an active Democratic politician, a man of ability, popular and esteemed. His success in life was due to his own energy and industry. He died April 8, 1878, aged fifty-seven years and eleven months. He had been trustee of the township in which he lived. His widow is still living. He reared a family of five children, one died young and one at eighteen years of age. William P., a well known farmer of Walnut township resides on the home place. George W. was educated in the common schools, also attended one term at Fairfield Union Academy, at Pleasantville. He also engaged in farming and buying and shipping livestock; also engaged in the manufacture of brick. He is also township trustee: always taking an interest in education, having been school director. The youngest living child of S. G. Bush, Clara, is the wife of D. H. Showalter, a well-known resident of Walnut township. BUTTERFIELD, CAPTAIN C. H., Lancaster. He was born
September 27, 1837. He enlisted in the First Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and, from Columbus, went to Harrisburgh, Lancaster and Philadelphia. The First and Second regiments were the first two, of Western regiments, to pass through Baltimore after the Eastern troops were mobbed. They went into camp at Washington, under command of Colonel Alex. McCook. They were sent to Alexandria, where Colonel Ellsworth was murdered, and, under General Schenck, were in the first battle of Vienna. At the end of six months the regiment went back to Washington. It was in the battle of Bull Run, where Captain Butterfield was in command of the left wing of skirmishers. Discovering a Rebel in the brush, he captured him, took his Henry rifle, and turned him over to Colonel McCook's father, who took him to Washington, being about the first Rebel prisoner brought to that city. Captain Butterfield was in the "Black Horse Cavalry Charge." Returning home, he raised sixty-five men for a company in the Ninetieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. They were, however, made a part of the One Hundred and Fourteenth, and went into camp at Marietta. They were in both the Vicksburgh campaigns. On account of sickness Captain Butterfield was, not long after, discharged, and returned home.