HISTORY OF PERRY COUNTY, OHIO
Persons visiting the New Lexington Fair have no doubt noticed the granite monuments situated about the middle of the grounds. Some have the idea that they mark the geographical center of the county. This is not the case. The westward one was planted by Philander Binckley about thirty years ago, to cor- respond to the true meridian. On account of the variation of the magnetic pole, it was found necessary in 1898 to again locate it. The County Commision- ers contracted with John Avery to place the new monu- ment. He planted it at the south end of the line bearing north 30 degrees, west 627.8 feet distant from the southeast corner of the southwest quarter of Section No. 5, Tp. No. 15, Range No. 15. The geographical latitude is 39 degrees, 44 min- utes north. The geographical longitude is 5 degrees and 11 minutes west from Washington. The variation of the Magnetic Meridian from the True Meridian is 28 minutes to the north.